Apple seeds new Mac OS X 10.7.2 build, iCloud beta 9 to developers

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Friday supplied developers with a new beta build of Mac OS X 10.7.2, as well as iCloud for Lion beta 9 for testing purposes, just a few days after the last beta builds were issued.

People familiar with the latest beta of Lion 10.7.2 said it is known as build 11C43 and carries no known issues. Developers have reportedly been asked to focus on AirPort, AppKit, GraphicsDrivers, iCal, iChat, the Mac App Store, Mail, Spotlight and Time Machine.

Beta builds of Mac OS X are meant for testing purposes only, and are available to members of the Mac Developer Program. The last major update to Lion came just last week in the form of Mac OS X 10.7.1, packing fixes for Wi-Fi reliability, HDMI output resolutions, and optical audio output.

The last beta build of Mac OS X 10.7.2 was issued to developers this Monday. It came along with iCloud beta 8, and similarly on Friday, the new build of 10.7.2 debuted alongside iCloud for Lion beta 9.

iCloud for OS X Lion beta 9 is an add-on installer for Mac OS X 10.7 Lion that adds in-development iCloud functionality to Macs for developers.

Apple released Lion via the Mac App Store on July 20, quickly selling more than a million copies in 24 hours. According to one analyst, Mac sales got a 26 percent boost in July from Lion's launch and the release of updated MacBook Airs and Mac Minis.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    modemode Posts: 163member
    Is anyone even using Lion yet? - in an every day production sort of environment that is.

I mean, there are still millions of people waiting for drivers and bug fixes for Snow Leopard. \

Leopard is still the largest used Mac OS.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode View Post

Is anyone even using Lion yet? - in an every day production sort of environment that is.

I mean, there are still millions of people waiting for drivers and bug fixes for Snow Leopard. \

http://www.omnigroup.com/blog/entry/lion_adoption/

Quote:

Alright, pop culture references aside, it's really cool to see so many of our customers taking up a new operating system so quickly. As you can see from the following OmniGraphSketcher file, the percentage of Omni customers using Lion within the first 10 days of its release is nearly the same as those who began using Leopard within the first 100 days of its release. That's quite a curve, if you ask us.

I wouldn't recommend production environments upgrade but for the rank and file consumer Lion is being upgraded to at a much faster rate than Snow Leopard and when iCloud hits this rate will see a big boost.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    [QUOTE=Mode;1929711Leopard is still the largest used Mac OS.[/QUOTE]

Can you back that up?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    dzuirdzuir Posts: 1member
    Quote:

Look at this review

http://macography.net/2011/08/os-x-l...option-is-big/
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Can you back that up?

Just from some blog articles and random reports from tech-zines, and our own internal metrics.

The Omni link provided above is their own test for their super high-tech audience. So one can expect their user base as early adopters.

One thing can be agreed on - Mac OSX user base is fractured.

Snow Leopard is starving for drivers and performance. So production environments haven't migrated.

Lion pretty much requires people to run out and buy all new peripherals. So adoption will be slow in certain industry segments - if at all.

There is no clear road-map for OSX like there is for iOS.

SJ giving the middle finger to professionals hasn't sat well with the market either.

The casual consumer market is exploding thou.

Here is hoping that Cookie doesn't have the same disdain for industry that SJ had.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Snow Leopard is starving for drivers and performance. So production environments haven't migrated.

Lion pretty much requires people to run out and buy all new peripherals. So adoption will be slow in certain industry segments - if at all.

Which industry segments, drivers are you referring to? What kind of performance issues are you experiencing with SL that make Leopard a better OS for your industry?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dzuir View Post

Look at this review

http://macography.net/2011/08/os-x-l...option-is-big/

A tiny blog with who knows how many viewers?

Would be interesting to see the metrics from a larger site like CNN or or Youtube.

Also keep in mind that industry professionals and production environments don't spend time surfing little blogs. So these sort of 'browser' metrics are skewed towards one segment of total install base.

I'm running both SL and Leopard. (Leopard for production - SL for most everything else). Canon just released drivers for SL a few weeks ago... just. So one less reason to have to boot into Leopard.

If it's going to take years for 3rd parties to release drivers for Mac OS - Apple may want to slow up on it's 'innovation' - or develop closer ties to 3rd parties.

Firewire is still buggy in SL and it's doubtful it will ever work if Apple is going to focus on Thunderbolt.

It's these types of problems that force industry to look at other computing solutions.

Fingers crossed that Cook will give some love to business and industry.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

A tiny blog with who knows how many viewers?

Except you're completely wrong about Leopard.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Just from some blog articles and random reports from tech-zines, and our own internal metrics.

The Omni link provided above is their own test for their super high-tech audience. So one can expect their user base as early adopters.

I suspect your data mining efforts suck.

Quote:

One thing can be agreed on - Mac OSX user base is fractured.

You can't be serious! OS adoption is no different on a Mac than any other platform.

Quote:

Total BS. Snow Leopard generally performed much better than Leopard. Further SL immediately fixed some serious issues within Leopard. All in all SL was a very welcomed upgrade.

Quote:

Where in hell did this thought come from? I installed Lion and had zero issues with anything connected to my Mac. Frankly it is beginning to sound like you are trolling.

Quote:

There is no clear road-map for OSX like there is for iOS.

SJ giving the middle finger to professionals hasn't sat well with the market either.

The casual consumer market is exploding thou.

More baseless crap! If you want to know where Lion is going attend WWDC. There is no magic here.

Quote:

Here is hoping that Cookie doesn't have the same disdain for industry that SJ had.

I don't mean to be cruel but you either are trolling on purpose or are a complete idiot. Steve isn't in the business of sucking on business to gain sales. Rather APLE builds high quality solutions that people either see value in or they don't.

Frankly I think business, especially big business is waking up to the fact that they have been poorly managing their technical an IT needs by falling for the like of RIM, Nokia, Dell and others that go out of their way to "manage" relationships. Note these managed relationships seldom benefit the business but rather tie the business to unstable partners with little vision beyond servicing the customer.

So Apple comes along with something like iPhone and business wakes up and say crap our policies have put us into a hole. It is no surprise that RIM is suffering now because the old ways of doing things is not flexible and responsive enough in today's world. I suspect it will be a very long time before business falls for the marketing practices of old.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Firewire is still buggy in SL and it's doubtful it will ever work if Apple is going to focus on Thunderbolt.

What bugs are you talking about? I've been using Firewire flawlessly in SL and Lion, not one problem. I have a friend who does video production and helps in a video production lab at a local college. He hasn't mentioned any problems.

I also did a Google search and found very few "bugs" and just a few examples of problems with Firewire being the result of users not updating firmware, improper formatting of drives, etc. Take a look for yourself, "snow leopard firewire bugs" is the query I used.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Soles that mean we won't see 7.2 till October event? Or will iCloud appear before iPhone 5?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

I'm running both SL and Leopard. (Leopard for production - SL for most everything else). Canon just released drivers for SL a few weeks ago... just. So one less reason to have to boot into Leopard.

Umm, Canon just recently released drivers for Lion. My Canon laser printer had drivers for SL.