Hurricane Irene prompts weekend shutdown of four NYC Apple Stores

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And zero of the iPhones I've seen are cracked, dented, smashed, or otherwise damaged.

I concur. I've seen only one cracked screen out of the many iPhones out in the wild. Some teen girl without the money to fix it, I presume. The phone was still working (she was on a call).
  • Reply 22 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, sure, I agree that the iPhone 4 is impractically fragile; I can get where you're getting that. I probably wouldn't trust an iPhone 4 to be dropped more than a single time without some sort of issue and I definitely think they need to go to a LiquidMetal back for the thing.

But people ought to be more careful. You wouldn't be careless with a?

?I'm trying to think of something else made of glass that people often carry around and it's? Oh, you wouldn't drop your diabetes machine. That's something of a poor analogy as an iPhone isn't necessary for you to stay alive, but when a lot of people behave as though they couldn't survive without their cell phones, they ought to be treating their cellphones with the respect you'd give to something life-essential.

Or maybe that's too much of a logical leap.

Whoa...I have dropped my iPhone and diabetes machine (called a glucometer BTW).

Not because I was foolish or stupid or have the dexterity of a llama (hilarious analogy, i did chuckle out load). They dropped because accidents, believe it or not, do happen. My iPhone slipped out of my button closed pocket while I was attempting to get up from a sitting position. It hit the concrete and the back panel smashed and that was that

My glocometer feel to the ground because as I was pricking my finger and trying not to drop blood all over the place and misjudged how much balance I had by balancing it on my knee.

Why was it on my knee? Because there was know where else clean enough to put it (i was in a public washroom). But guess what, my glucometer is fine. The iPhone on the other hand had to have the glass replaced ($29 bucks at the apple store).

However the phone seems to drop calls and miss texts a lot now. I am sorry; glass is just plain stupid choice for something thats gets handled all day long, in and out of pockets with keys, lighters, change and god knows what else.

I don't think you can blame all apple cracked screens on careless llama handed people. Sometimes: "life happens"!
  • Reply 23 of 43
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    Sad to see such ignorant comment.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    I love how people are calling this a serious hurricane. This happens three times a year in the UK. I'm in new york right now and my god its all blown so terribly out of proportion.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    People are still complaining about using glass in their designs yet most of manhattan is skyscrapers with sheer panes of glass.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

I love how people are calling this a serious hurricane.

I love how people didn't consider Katrina to be a serious hurricane.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I love how people are calling this a serious hurricane. This happens three times a year in the UK. I'm in new york right now and my god its all blown so terribly out of proportion.

That's the NYC mentality for you. When the earthquake his in Virginia #NYCEarthquake was trending on Twitter. In Florida we call this weather Autumn.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    Quote:

The city of New York has been preparing its populace for a storm that was previously classified as a Category 3 Hurricane when it made landfall in the Bahamas, with a potential to reach Category 4 by the following day. -- Category 3 Hurricanes absolutely do not take place three times a year in the UK.

Actually, the "worst storm on record" for the UK made landfall on October 15th, 1987, and it wasn't even classified as a Hurricane.

New York City, specifically, is a seaside, sea-level metropolis with a population that is roughly 1/8th the population of the entire UK. The people of NYC are largely below the poverty line, reside mostly in buildings towering over each other that date back to over a century old, and lack ability to evacuate without the use of public transport.

The US Government learned its lesson with Katrina (which, if you go to the Lower Nine today, is still in ruin). Forgive them for being dire and serious enough to affect the citizens in such a way as to assure their safety.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That's the NYC mentality for you. When the earthquake his in Virginia #NYCEarthquake was trending on Twitter. In Florida we call this weather Autumn.

The "NYC mentality" is formed in this case by the fact that weather that a Floridian might consider par for the course happens only once every couple decades in NYC.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I wonder how the North Carolina data center is holding up with the hurricane.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Quote:

The storm doesn't hit here until tonight.

Northern Scotland occasionally gets the extratropical depressions that form once hurricanes dissipate in the north Atlantic, but it's nothing like a hurricane. London rarely gets a thunderstorm and shuts down when they get an inch of snow.

Hopefully this will all be unnecessary, but if the storm tracks a little to the west it would cause serious flooding in parts of NYC. Downed trees could also do damage around the area, and we had some bad windstorms last year that led to power outages. Officials got caught off guard by last year's blizzard and are being extra cautious today. I do still wonder whether the subway and buses could have been run a bit later (perhaps shutting down at 5:00 instead of 12:00), at least away from the low-lying areas.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I wonder how the North Carolina data center is holding up with the hurricane.

I doubt it is anywhere near Cape Hatteras for this very reason.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dpnorton82 View Post

The city of New York has been preparing its populace for a storm that was previously classified as a Category 3 Hurricane when it made landfall in the Bahamas, with a potential to reach Category 4 by the following day. -- Category 3 Hurricanes absolutely do not take place three times a year in the UK.

Actually, the "worst storm on record" for the UK made landfall on October 15th, 1987, and it wasn't even classified as a Hurricane.

New York City, specifically, is a seaside, sea-level metropolis with a population that is roughly 1/8th the population of the entire UK. The people of NYC are largely below the poverty line, reside mostly in buildings towering over each other that date back to over a century old, and lack ability to evacuate without the use of public transport.

The US Government learned its lesson with Katrina (which, if you go to the Lower Nine today, is still in ruin). Forgive them for being dire and serious enough to affect the citizens in such a way as to assure their safety.

Yes it was originally a Cat3, but it was getting weaker and weaker and everyone could see that.

To bring NYC to a screeching halt, to have Obama call it "historic", that is clearly overacting. I agree with getting people out of flood prone areas,
  • Reply 33 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

The storm doesn't hit here until tonight.

Northern Scotland occasionally gets the extratropical depressions that form once hurricanes dissipate in the north Atlantic, but it's nothing like a hurricane. London rarely gets a thunderstorm and shuts down when they get an inch of snow.

Hopefully this will all be unnecessary, but if the storm tracks a little to the west it would cause serious flooding in parts of NYC. Downed trees could also do damage around the area, and we had some bad windstorms last year that led to power outages. Officials got caught off guard by last year's blizzard and are being extra cautious today. I do still wonder whether the subway and buses could have been run a bit later (perhaps shutting down at 5:00 instead of 12:00), at least away from the low-lying areas.

I know it doesn't. I'm in a hotel on 7th and 55th right now in front of the TV since the city has been shut down.

Why did you mention london? Being british doesn't make me a Londoner

I'm from the north east and in my life we've had storms powerful enough to smash glass, throw heavy garden furniture, uproot trees and rip tiles off of roofs held on with cement. September 24th last year - waves were so high they went /over/ the lighthouse on the coast of my city. 23rd May this year, 100mph on the west of england. 80mph with 16ft waves and flash flooding on the 23rd november last year, I believe there were 2 more in 2009 and so on and so forth - all of them stronger or just as strong as hurricane irene in its current state across the east coast. These kinds of Gale Force winds are common in the UK.

Getting people out of flood areas is obviously a good idea, but grinding the east-coast to a halt when other countries (or even other US states) with similar or worse weather would still be running normally is called over reacting to me. We don't get deep snow in the UK very often - we're not used to it, yet for the past two years with -(negative)18C weather and more snow than you can shake a stick at, we were absolutely fine. Airports never closed, people still went to a from work, public transport was up and running and so on and so forth. Not getting something often does not impair your ability to deal with it.

Sorry if I sound harsh. I'm just a very blunt person.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    Quote:

I'm from the north east and in my life we've had storms powerful enough to smash glass, throw heavy garden furniture, uproot trees and rip tiles off of roofs held on with cement. September 24th last year - waves were so high they went /over/ the lighthouse on the coast of my city. 23rd May this year, 100mph on the west of england. 80mph with 16ft waves and flash flooding on the 23rd november last year, I believe there were 2 more in 2009 and so on and so forth - all of them stronger or just as strong as hurricane irene in its current state across the east coast. These kinds of Gale Force winds are common in the UK.

Hurricanes are different. Gale force winds happen everywhere, but the difference with a hurricane is that the high winds are sustained over hours. We had a storm last year north of the city that uprooted trees, knocked down power lines, etc. so we know how to handle "normal" storms, but we've all seen the kind of damage a hurricane can do. With all the tall buildings and the massive concentration of people (twice as dense as London and a lot more than northeast England).

This is a big deal because 50 million people are in its path, which is highly unusual (the last time was in the 1930s and the 1880s before that). While I think parts of the city could have stayed open longer, I don't disagree with the decision to begin the shutdown sooner rather than later. While Obama does have a tendency to use words like "historic" and "unprecedented" a lot, this storm is very unusual.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

I doubt it is anywhere near Cape Hatteras for this very reason.

It is located about 400 miles inland but according to noaa they are experiencing tropical storm force winds at this moment. Also, conceivably their first real test of being able to withstand flash flooding as well as the infrastructure testing such as possible loss of power, diesel fuel delivery capabilities etc.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

What exactly is an "outdoor tim festival at Lincoln Center"?? Will Tim Cook be there?

Not anymore since it was canceled.

If we're lucky, this thing will head east. Worst case scenario for NYC is that this storm tracks to the west. As it stands, we'll be without the subway until late Monday. I'm guessing a lot of offices will be closed, as well as a lot of stores.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    Quote:

Yes it was originally a Cat3, but it was getting weaker and weaker and everyone could see that.

To bring NYC to a screeching halt, to have Obama call it "historic", that is clearly overacting. I agree with getting people out of flood prone areas,

I believe that you are largely underestimating storm surge potential. If Manhattan floods, it's not going to be sea water pouring down the streets, it's going to be the raw sewage of the most densely populated metropolitan city in the country. -- Wade home through that!

As an NYC resident, and a first-response volunteer in NOLA post Katrina, I appreciate the urgency with which our government officials have addressed the storm. Getting 300,000+ people out of flood zones and 8 million others to set their lives aside in the interest of safety IS historic, if you ask me.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Well I think the irene just wanted to check out the apple store.

Well, she does have an eye for that.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It is located about 400 miles inland but according to noaa they are experiencing tropical storm force winds at this moment. Also, conceivably their first real test of being able to withstand flash flooding as well as the infrastructure testing such as possible loss of power, diesel fuel delivery capabilities etc.

There was wind, but no rain in Durham nearby. North Carolina is a long state and the coast took it on the chin, but the data center most likely was unaffected...
  • Reply 40 of 43
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:

Well, there you have it, tough guy. If an area is used to high winds and storm surges, that makes it less of a big deal each time. Trees that threaten power lines are already knocked down, cleared or don't grow well in storm ravaged areas...

In addition, in the place you describe, do they have an enormous citiy with sky scrapers and subway systems and huge populations right on the coast at sea-level? of course not. So why would you expect the response to be in any way the same?

This storm is going to rake up the most densely populated parts of the most densely populated state in the nation and then plough directly into the largest and most densely populated city in the nation.

Hurricanes VERY rarely make landfall on the Jersey coast and the same goes for NYC, so yes this is a storm without modern precedent--the last times storms actually hit this area there was no capacity for predicting track or intensity...

Now, it is still too early to know what actual damage will occur, but suffice it to say there is more at stake than your flying lawn furniture!

Quote:

Sorry if I sound harsh. I'm just a very blunt person.

just because your are blunt, doesn't mean that your are right...