Photos of alleged white fifth-gen iPod touch part emerge

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
A parts supplier has acquired white-colored parts purportedly for a fifth-generation iPod touch, providing further evidence that Apple is moving forward with a white version of the media player.

iFixDirect (via Technobuffalo) claims to have obtained a white front cover for a next-generation iPod touch. Other than the color difference, the alleged part does not show any major changes to the device.

In July, AppleInsider was first to report that Apple was planning a white version of its popular digital media player. Concord Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo claimed the iPod touch would sport few, if any, distinguishable changes from the fourth-generation black models.

Kuo suggested that the iPod touch would not receive a "spec update" this year because Apple is prioritizing supplies of the A5 processor and other components for the iPhone and iPad. Supply and manufacturing constraints have left the Cupertino, Calif., company struggling to keep up with demand for the iPhone 4 and iPad 2.

Also complicating the matter is the fact that the company has pushed the release of the next-generation iPhone past the usual summer timeframe. As such, the arrival of the iPhone 5 this fall will likely overshadow any iPod touch release. Additionally, Apple is reportedly stockpiling supplies for its next handset in anticipation of pent up demand.

Apple last updated the iPod touch in September 2010, adding a Retina Display, front- and rear-facing cameras and the A4 processor.

Evidence in Apple's own iOS betas also appears to suggest that an iPod touch update is not viewed internally as completely new generation. Recent beta releases of the software contain references to an "iPod 4,2," implying that the new device will be based on the fourth-generation iPod touch architecture.

A white iPod touch would fall in-line with Apple's recent strategy of adding a white version of its iOS devices to generate renewed interest. Last year, Apple announced a white version of the iPhone 4, but was forced to delay the product after encountering manufacturing issues. 10 months after the black iPhone 4 was released, Apple finally began selling the white model.

The white iPhone 4 has been extremely popular in China. In May, a fight at an Apple Store in Beijing over the white iPhone 4 and the iPad 2 caused a broken glass door and several injuries.

Apple also introduced a white version of the iPad when it launched the second generation of its tablet in March. The company appeared to have resolved any manufacturing or paint issues with, as, unlike the iPhone 4, the white model shipped alongside the black iPad 2 from day one.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Come on Apple, bring on an iPod touch with 3G, A5, and 128 GB storage. Bring it, bring it, bring it.
  • Reply 2 of 52
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    I plan to get mine from the mother ship. Steve is gonna meet me there.
  • Reply 3 of 52
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Whenever the new iOS devices come it will be a very interesting week.
  • Reply 4 of 52
    Although I'm certainly glad that demand for the iPad and iPhone is very high, it would seem odd that the iPod Touch will be neglected by not having an A5 processor since it is Apple's top-selling iPod and is being used by schools, businesses and gamers everywhere. I wouldn't think that Apple would just leave the product hanging like that unless it's absolutely necessary. In that case, Apple should just push back the date of introduction of the 5th generation iPod Touch until there are enough A5 processors available.
  • Reply 5 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

Come on Apple, bring on an iPod touch with 3G, A5, and 128 GB storage. Bring it, bring it, bring it.

Aw need 3G? Buy an iPhone.

Problem solved.

128gb won't happen anytime soon.

A5 def will.
  • Reply 6 of 52
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Maybe they'll improve the cameras up a notch at the same time.
  • Reply 7 of 52
    I hope it will come with a larger screen and the A5 dual core processor. I like my 4th gen iPod Touch. It's a good gaming device and a nifty little toy to have.
  • Reply 8 of 52
    Hey Steve...all I need is the A5, better cameras and 128GB on the new touch...okay?
  • Reply 9 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcoleman1 View Post

Hey Steve...all I need is the A5, better cameras and 128GB on the new touch...okay?

You're asking the wrong man...
  • Reply 10 of 52
    There is literally zero competition to the iPod Touch. Really. The Zune? Dead. Samsung Galaxy Player? Nowhere to be found. And even if there's a competitor, all Apple need to do is cut the Touch's price, and it's game-set-over. Just look at the iPod classic. Zero competition, and Apple didn't even bother to update it nor cut its price last year.

It is, however, interesting to see how the iPod lineup will be. The price pressure is pinching the nano out. I mean Apple could've sold the 8GB Touch for $199, but they didn't, probably to create an artificial gap between the nano and the Touch. It is, however, weird to have a storage gap on the Touch, 8GB and jumped to 32GB. I can see a 16GB replacing the 8GB, probably at $199. Reaching the $199 price point again will seal Apple's dominance. More RAM would be nice too, matching the iPhone 4 at 512MB, and maybe oleophobic coating as the icing of the cake. I doubt the camera will change as Apple would want to keep the thinness of the Touch.

Or, maybe those rumor of a larger screen iPhone4s/5 was actually the next iPod Touch. Instead of updating the CPU, the selling point would be the larger screen.
  • Reply 11 of 52
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

128gb won't happen anytime soon.

Why not? It has been two years since the first 64GB iPod touch. Still too pricey?
  • Reply 12 of 52
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonyweston View Post

You're asking the wrong man...

No he's not. He asks Ballmer for an MiPhone
  • Reply 13 of 52
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Why not? It has been two years since the first 64GB iPod touch. Still too pricey?

Perhaps, but you have to consider other reasons why they can't move to denser NAND. Things like performance, reliability, and production constraints come to mind.
  • Reply 14 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Perhaps, but you have to consider other reasons why they can't move to denser NAND. Things like performance, reliability, and production constraints come to mind.

A 64GB iPod Touch loaded with apps is almost unusable. There really need to be OS optimizations before it can get any bigger.
  • Reply 15 of 52
    the way that Apple uses paint to color the faceplates of an iPhone or iPod Touch or iPad is to use a clear piece of glass and then paint the insides. if what we see in the picture here is white colored on the outside but black colored on the inside; then it is fake. I will stake my MacBook that this photo is fake in some aspect, this is not the real part that will be used by Apple; but a regular screen with a white screen protector. I do not doubt that the iPod touch will come in a white color but it is not gonna be the item pictured in this article.

-cheers!

jimbo
  • Reply 16 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

Aw need 3G? Buy an iPhone.

Problem solved.

Wrong! Problem not quite solved. The iPhone comes with the problem of paying a $80+ iPhone bill every month for at least 2 years... If you don't talk on the phone much it is a huge waste of money.

Whereas a 3G iPod Touch with a $25 per month data plan (like what is currently available for 3G iPads) and a pay as you go cell phone for $15 per month saves at least $40 per month...
  • Reply 17 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Solar Saves View Post

Wrong! Problem not quite solved. The iPhone comes with the problem of paying a $80+ iPhone bill every month for at least 2 years... If you don't talk on the phone much it is a huge waste of money.

And if you have absolutely no use for cellular data, it's a huge waste of money.

Quote:

Whereas a 3G iPod Touch with a $25 per month data plan (like what is currently available for 3G iPads) and a pay as you go cell phone for $15 per month saves at least $40 per month...

Whereas a telephony-only plan on an iPhone for $25 a month and the option for pay-as-you-go data for $15 a month saves?

Well, you get the picture.
  • Reply 18 of 52
    Are they now going to make sure that the screen is also going to be white when it is turned off (now black)?
  • Reply 19 of 52
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Whereas a telephony-only plan on an iPhone for $25 a month and the option for pay-as-you-go data for $15 a month saves?

Well, you get the picture.

I doubt logic and reason is going to work. It appears he thinks that labeling a device a 3G iPod Touch will automatically mean the carriers will change their plans up to save the customer money.
  • Reply 20 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacShack View Post

Are they now going to make sure that the screen is also going to be white when it is turned off (now black)?

My question is implied in those emoticons. Please answer it to the best of your ability.