Photos of alleged white fifth-gen iPod touch part emerge

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacShack View Post

Why would it be silly? Apple has always gone through extremes to make things that seemed impossible possible. Even if it meant developing new techniques or spending some extra cash to make it happen. To me it's the only thing I think is ugly about the white iPhone. My black iPhone, though not exactly the same shade, is entirely black when the screen is turned off. So I think that Apple would score extra points in the media and user base if they would sort this little inconsistency out as well. If I were Jobs I wouldn't care the extra cost or time it would cost to make it happen, I would just be annoyed by this inconsistency.

I have never heard of this type of door before! Wow.........but how would it be used on a phone? How would you use this kinda of "wow" factor for the iPhone?
  • Reply 42 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

We've already had them available unlocked for a few months. It's just impossible to get service on one without a two-year contract and a data plan.

I have to agree with you on this...They do have unlocked iPhones....

But it would be so nice to have the same system here in the US as they have in Europe. You buy the phone and then can use it on any carrier you want. that is best for the consumers. But I don;t see that happening anytime soon.....
  • Reply 43 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

I have to agree with you on this...They do have unlocked iPhones....

But it would be so nice to have the same system here in the US as they have in Europe. You buy the phone and then can use it on any carrier you want. that is best for the consumers. But I don;t see that happening anytime soon.....

I, however, do. The iPhone 5 is the perfect time to introduce the iPhone onto the four remaining () U.S. carriers as a single device, unlocked when sold through Apple. I believe this may actually happen. One device, sold unlocked through Apple. It wouldn't be difficult to do, nor would it be detrimental to Apple to allow.

But the telecoms? No. They will NEVER give up the ability to force people to have a two-year contract with a data plan they'll never use or MMS/SMS they don't want. And that's the deciding factor.
  • Reply 44 of 52
    Quote:

I, however, do. The iPhone 5 is the perfect time to introduce the iPhone onto the four remaining () U.S. carriers as a single device, unlocked when sold through Apple. I believe this may actually happen. One device, sold unlocked through Apple. It wouldn't be difficult to do, nor would it be detrimental to Apple to allow.

But the telecoms? No. They will NEVER give up the ability to force people to have a two-year contract with a data plan they'll never use or MMS/SMS they don't want. And that's the deciding factor.

I think you answered your own questions..... Since Apple sells phones to the telecoms (here in the US) and they will have requirements for them to carry the iPhone....I don't see Apple releasing the iPhone 5 unlocked at launch. Not going to happen...maybe later but not for a few months later. Then it will be interesting to see if all the rumors are true and the iPhone 5 comes to Sprint...and even T-Mobile. Now Apple will have to carry unlocked/locked versions of the iPhone 5 for 4 carriers(possibly).......One thing that Apple does and does very well is keep things simple so I am not sure unlocked versions of the iPhone will emerge right away. But we will see how this all plays out very shortly....
  • Reply 45 of 52
    macshackmacshack Posts: 103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

I have never heard of this type of door before! Wow.........but how would it be used on a phone? How would you use this kinda of "wow" factor for the iPhone?

At this moment the individual pixels become black when they are switched off. I think one needs to create a technology where you can project an image in a transparent film or glass. And have a white layer at under that glass. Because unlike the door shown in the pictures this glass will never be used to see through but to look at. I'm not an engineer. But I think it would go with the philosophy that if you don't use something than you don't need to see it. MacBook (Pro) indication light is exactly the same story.
  • Reply 46 of 52
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    On 3G: I'm assuming Apple can swing the same deals with carriers, essentially a pay-as-you-go per month, no contract needed. I think Apple should add 3G capability (and eventually 4G) on all of their devices, at least as an option, including iPads, iPods, MBA, and MBP. I definitely think the $130 price premium for the capability to by Internet access is worth it.

I could get an unlocked iPhone, but that's $600. If it was $300-$350, it would be quite a bit more attractive. If they come out an unlocked phone at that price, then great! But then again, an unlocked phone doesn't mean the pay-as-you-go plans will be there either. Apple or the carriers would have to step up.

On iPod touch display vs iPhone display: Yup the iPhone display is a lot better than the iPod touch even though they are at the same resolution. An IPS display (which the iPhone uses) is the best all-around type of display on the market: bright, high contrast, good blacks, low power, and awesome viewing angles. Perhaps the only negative is the slower refresh rates, but that doesn't appear to be a problem. And it is expensive. I don't know what the iPod touch display is, but it's very characteristic of TN displays with not very good viewing angles, but it is cheaper than IPS displays. Cheap is basically the only reason why the iPod touch has a lower quality display.

Maybe Apple has driven down the cost of the iPhone IPS display suitable for putting into iPod touches after having shipped, what 50m iPhone 4 devices. If so, an IPS display on the iPod touch 5 would be awesome.

On 128 GB: Flash densities are there to make a 64 GB SD card sized flash package, which is about the size of the flash package in iOS devices. I don't know why someone would say iOS couldn't handled it. It should handle 128 GB no problem.
  • Reply 47 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

I think Apple should add 3G capability (and eventually 4G) on all of their devices, at least as an option, including iPads, iPods, MBA, and MBP. I definitely think the $130 price premium for the capability to by Internet access is worth it.

But the hundreds of millions of people who won't be using that disagree and don't want to pay extra to indulge the telecoms' fantasies. And 'as an option' adds dozens of different SKUs for users to pour over.

Quote:

On 128 GB: Flash densities are there to make a 64 GB SD card sized flash package, which is about the size of the flash package in iOS devices. I don't know why someone would say iOS couldn't handled it. It should handle 128 GB no problem.

No one has said the software can't handle it. Plenty have said our wallets can't. We'll only see 128 if the price for 64GB chips is the same now as the price for 32GB chips when they were first introduced.
  • Reply 48 of 52
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

On 3G: I'm assuming Apple can swing the same deals with carriers, essentially a pay-as-you-go per month, no contract needed. I think Apple should add 3G capability (and eventually 4G) on all of their devices, at least as an option, including iPads, iPods, MBA, and MBP. I definitely think the $130 price premium for the capability to by Internet access is worth it.

Have you seen iFixit's teardown's of the WiFi, GSM/UMTS and CDMA/CDMA2000 iPads? They use a daughter board for a cellular that is quite small; about 1"(2.5cm) x 1.5"(3.8cm). That's looks pretty standard that it could find its way into future Mac notebooks. I could also see the price dropping from $130 to $100 for the economy of scale that would be had by this kind of cross platform usage.

Quote:

It's not just about the density is technically possible. You have to consider cost, productions, reliability and performance.
  • Reply 49 of 52
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

But the hundreds of millions of people who won't be using that disagree and don't want to pay extra to indulge the telecoms' fantasies. And 'as an option' adds dozens of different SKUs for users to pour over.

Apple does have 18 SKUs for the iPad in the US so it's entirely possible Mac SKU quantities aren't an issue, especially if they move to a true world mode option.

They could also move to a interchangeable option that uses the mini-PCIe (or smaller) connection Ã* la their SSD card and first AirPort cards. This would make all MBPs cellular-capable with a simple insertion as easy as adding RAM.
  • Reply 50 of 52
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Quote:

Since when does Apple do stuff based on what people think they need. For the MBA and MPB, it's not a new SKU, it's an upgrade option. They could add 3G onto the existing WiFi/Bluetooth daughterboard.

The iPad already has the SKUs.

The iPod touch? I don't think it will be a problem to add another 3.

Quote:

No one has said the software can't handle it. Plenty have said our wallets can't. We'll only see 128 if the price for 64GB chips is the same now as the price for 32GB chips when they were first introduced.

True. But it's been like 2 years. Apple has the volumes to drive it down and they have the cash to pre-pay for the capacity. Maybe there are still yield or other issues with 32/64 Gbit flash chips? If that's so, that spells trouble.

I'm desperate for a 64 GB iPhone.
  • Reply 51 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

A 64GB iPod Touch loaded with apps is almost unusable. There really need to be OS optimizations before it can get any bigger.

But a 64GB iPod Touch loaded with video and photographs is very usable. I would like 128GB (or more) so that I have a device to back up my photos to when traveling and taking vacation photos. Then, I wouldn't have to travel with a notebook.
  • Reply 52 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dkimak View Post

But a 64GB iPod Touch loaded with video and photographs is very usable. I would like 128GB (or more) so that I have a device to back up my photos to when traveling and taking vacation photos. Then, I wouldn't have to travel with a notebook.

Yeah, I really need to trim down about half of my apps and fill it up with more photos and music instead, though I have my music on my Classic and photos on my iPad. I'm not really a video guy.