Apple's iPhone 5 rumored with metal chassis, less than 4-inch screen

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's next-generation iPhone will ditch the glass back of the iPhone 4 for a metal chassis, but its screen size will be smaller than 4 inches, according to the latest rumor.

Citing sources in Apple's overseas supply chain, DigiTimes reported on Monday that the so-called "iPhone 5" will "not have many differences" when compared to the current-generation iPhone 4. The largest difference will be a metal chassis on the back, replacing the reinforced glass found on the iPhone 4.

"The sources added that the iPhone 5 will adopt a 3.5- to 3.7-inch panel with a design to allow the bezel of the panel to become thinner and make the screen look larger," the report said.

The report also dispelled what was clearly a fake video that has circulated on the Internet, claiming to show a "leaked" website from Switzerland for the iPhone 5. To date, the bogus video has received more than 1.8 million views on YouTube.

Rumors surrounding Apple's next-generation iPhone have been have provided conflicting reports, creating confusion as to whether Apple's next handset will sport an all-new design, or have an appearance similar to the iPhone 4. A report in March from China Times was the first indication that the so-called "iPhone 5" will allegedly have a metal chassis, though that report suggested the handset will sport a 4-inch screen.

Last week, Reuters chimed in, claiming the next-generation iPhone will look largely the same as the iPhone 4. That report was in contrast with other rumors and even third-party cases suggesting the next iPhone could have angled sides and a flat back, with a design similar to the iPad 2.

Monday's report may also conflict with a handful of component leaks from last week. Various pictures showed components for a prototype iPhone with what appears to be a white glass back, similar to that of the iPhone 4. But some rumors have claimed that Apple plans to release a so-called "iPhone 4S" with an improved antenna that will be sold as a low-end handset, in addition to a redesigned fifth-generation iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...the iPhone 5 will adopt a 3.5- to 3.7-inch panel with a design to allow the bezel of the panel to become thinner and make the screen look larger...

Make the screen look larger?
  • Reply 2 of 49
    That fake is pretty awesome I do have to say. I'd buy the iPhone 5 in a heartbeat if it looked like that!
  • Reply 3 of 49
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Our top story tonight: the iPhone 5 is going to be exactly like every single other iPhone before it. Just like everyone already knew.
  • Reply 4 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tallest skil View Post

our top story tonight: The iphone 5 is going to be exactly like every single other iphone before it. Just like everyone already knew.

hahahah!!
  • Reply 5 of 49
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

I'd prefer the screen actually be bigger (like the Sharp 4.5" 720p screen from Nexus Prime). These days 3.5" is low to middle end in terms of screen size.

That being said, rumors in about every direction have been released, so I won't believe anything until it shows up on Apple's site.
  • Reply 6 of 49
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

I'd prefer the screen actually be bigger (like the Sharp 4.5" 720p screen from Nexus Prime). These days 3.5" is low to middle end in terms of screen size.

That being said, rumors in about every direction have been released, so I won't believe anything until it shows up on Apple's site.

If they release a 4.5 or 4.3 screen iPhone 5 I might just have to get one...... As it is my wife and sons will want the iPhone 5 when it becomes available next month. They have been patiently waiting and using their 3GS. It will be very interesting to see if it lives up to all the hype.
  • Reply 7 of 49
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Or make the app icons smaller!

Maybe the next iPhone will do away with the glass front and put in a translucent mirror front with the following warning, of course...

Warning: 'Apps in mirror are closer than they appear!'.

/

/

/
  • Reply 8 of 49
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    I just bought an out of contract iPhone 4 to replace a dying iPhone 3GS. This phone has an Applecare for another 1 1/2 years, so I am not in any hurry to renew my contract (expired yesterday!!!) If the rumor is true and Apple doesn't upgrade to at least a 4 inch screen I will pass on this iteration of iPhone.

I am still waiting for an iPod Touch with a data plan (similar to the iPad). I don't need a phone often, but instead just need the data. Paying the extra $$$ for minutes even as an add-a-phone on my wife's account is still wasting $28.00 a month versus just a pure data plan. I know some folks think the idea is silly, but Apple would do well to add wireless 3G to the next iPod Touch. There are so many people who don't have iPhones and/or don't want a minutes plan. This would be perfect for many kids and young adults. Use a dedicated Skype number on 3G or wifi and use Google Voice for SMS. Plus this would make a great gateway product to set up future adults with iPhones.

A guy can dream...Most likely the iPod Touch will just get another incremental update. Maybe more storage so as to replace the iPod Classic...
  • Reply 9 of 49
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    People talking about wanting 4.5" screen...

I'd rather have a phone that fits into my pocket.
  • Reply 10 of 49
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

To each his own...if that was the iPhone's screen size I'd be most definitely on the "no thanks" list.

Anyone have a breakdown of smartphone sales by screen size? People on these rumor/tech fan websites are probably biased towards larger screens. But I can't help but think that if that was the iPhone's screen size Apple would lose more sales than they'd gain. Gain a small number of tech fan sales, but lose a larger number of "average joe" sales. And I don't see them making iPhones with two drastically different screen sizes.

If Apple decides to make a mid-sized iOS device, I suspect it will be the iPod touch, which doesn't have quite the same portability requirements that a cell phone would have.
  • Reply 11 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's next-generation iPhone will ditch the glass back of the iPhone 4 for a metal chassis, but its screen size will be smaller than 4 inches, according to the latest rumor.

Citing sources in Apple's overseas supply chain, DigiTimes reported on Monday that the so-called "iPhone 5" will "not have many differences" when compared to the current-generation iPhone 4. The largest difference will be a metal chassis on the back, replacing the reinforced glass found on the iPhone 4.

"The sources added that the iPhone 5 will adopt a 3.5- to 3.7-inch panel with a design to allow the bezel of the panel to become thinner and make the screen look larger," the report said.

The report also dispelled what was clearly a fake video that has circulated on the Internet, claiming to show a "leaked" website from Switzerland for the iPhone 5. To date, the bogus video has received more than 1.8 million views on YouTube.

Rumors surrounding Apple's next-generation iPhone have been have provided conflicting reports, creating confusion as to whether Apple's next handset will sport an all-new design, or have an appearance similar to the iPhone 4. A report in March from China Times was the first indication that the so-called "iPhone 5" will allegedly have a metal chassis, though that report suggested the handset will sport a 4-inch screen.

Last week, Reuters chimed in, claiming the next-generation iPhone will look largely the same as the iPhone 4. That report was in contrast with other rumors and even third-party cases suggesting the next iPhone could have angled sides and a flat back, with a design similar to the iPad 2.

Monday's report may also conflict with a handful of component leaks from last week. Various pictures showed components for a prototype iPhone with what appears to be a white glass back, similar to that of the iPhone 4. But some rumors have claimed that Apple plans to release a so-called "iPhone 4S" with an improved antenna that will be sold as a low-end handset, in addition to a redesigned fifth-generation iPhone.

This report makes little sense.

AppleInsider goes out of it's way to say that the video is a known "fake" but then describes a phone that's pretty much an exact match of the one in the video. Then they go on about a larger screen right before stating that it will actually only "look" larger. Finally, AppleInsider mentions a report from yesterday that was published in this very blog about photographs of a "white glass" back part for the iPhone that was (by their own report), clearly made of plastic and not glass at all.

Sometimes I think you people just like to stir the pot for no reason. This place used to be a little more analytical and a little more careful of what it reported.

So far there have been three distinct and separate iPhone designs leaked, each supported by case leaks as well and each reports on dutifully by AppleInsider. Why not actually try to figure it all out instead of just reporting on the flavour of the week?
  • Reply 12 of 49
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    I am thinking that with so much variation on the leaks up to date, that this is probably Tim Cook's first major decision being executed.

Jobs first and foremost rule was probably utter secrecy.

With as much rumors coming out, and with either fake cases and/or spare parts, Cook probably decided. You can't stop them from looking, but give them false leads instead and that will feed the monster.

That is even better than before.
  • Reply 13 of 49
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    the back of latest iPod got scratched to oblivion within days of gentle use. Glass back of iPhone 4 lasted over a year now without a single scratch.
  • Reply 14 of 49
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juandl View Post

I am thinking that with so much variation on the leaks up to date, that this is probably Tim Cook's first major decision being executed.

Jobs first and foremost rule was probably utter secrecy.

With as much rumors coming out, and with either fake cases and/or spare parts, Cook probably decided. You can't stop them from looking, but give them false leads instead and that will feed the monster.

That is even better than before.

No, Jobs has done that for a decade or more.
  • Reply 15 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

To each his own...if that was the iPhone's screen size I'd be most definitely on the "no thanks" list.

Anyone have a breakdown of smartphone sales by screen size? People on these rumor/tech fan websites are probably biased towards larger screens. But I can't help but think that if that was the iPhone's screen size Apple would lose more sales than they'd gain. Gain a small number of tech fan sales, but lose a larger number of "average joe" sales. And I don't see them making iPhones with two drastically different screen sizes.

If Apple decides to make a mid-sized iOS device, I suspect it will be the iPod touch, which doesn't have quite the same portability requirements that a cell phone would have.

I think there is more of a need for a smaller iPhone than a larger one. I carry my iPad daily, so I don?t need much when it comes to a phone.
  • Reply 16 of 49
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

Hear, hear!
  • Reply 17 of 49
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:

Is that a 4.5" iPhone in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?
  • Reply 18 of 49
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

the back of latest iPod got scratched to oblivion within days of gentle use. Glass back of iPhone 4 lasted over a year now without a single scratch.

If it is like the original iPhone, no worries as those were a matte finish.
  • Reply 19 of 49
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:

Not to worry. Not happening. No way. So many reasons.
  • Reply 20 of 49
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

I imagine that's something they look at when viewing a prototype. How does it fit in pockets? How does it feel in your hand (sampling different people for some variation here)? How prone is it to ass dialing? I doubt they'll increase the size. I've never heard anyone complain it was too small.