Samsung rumored to buy webOS to compete with Apple's iOS, Mac OS X

Comments

• Reply 21 of 145
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    I think Samsung better save their money for some legal battles.
  • Reply 22 of 145
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

I tried to pick up a TouchPad for $99 - it did enough well enough to be useful for me - but got cancelled out by a company that oversold its inventory. .

HP really messed up - big time.

They had no more than 500,000 Touchpads. We're now more than a week into the sale and they STILL haven't figured out who's getting one and who isn't. They promised order confirmations within 24 to 72 hours - more than 4 days ago. Their ordering site was a disaster - taking many hours and countless refreshes to get an order in. Customer service is a disaster. You call the number and the recorded message says "the average wait in the past 30 minutes was 1 minute" -- and then you wait on hold indefinitely (well over an hour and still waiting). Their online chat can't tell you anything that you can't get from checking the status online yourself - at least when the status site is working. Instead of trying to find out what the status of your order is, online chat simply tells you to call the 800 number. I have 4 units on order and STILL (8 days after the order) can't find out if I'm ever going to receive them or not.

Come on, HP. I know that 500,000 units is a lot, but Apple sold many times that number of iPhones on launch day (just about every year). While they had some problems, they were largely resolved in under a day. Plus, Apple is a consumer oriented company. You really want us to believe that you are a reliable Enterprise partner? When you can't even handle something as simple as a close-out sale?

Even if HP were not getting out of the PC business, I doubt if I'd be buying any more systems from them. If this is what they call customer service, I'll choose someone else.
  • Reply 23 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

Bada is a replacement for Samsung's proprietary OS that is meant to run on the low end devices. Not on the overpowered devices that run Android.

The Samsung Wave familly has almost the same technical features as the Galaxy familly. So this is not means for "low end devices".

However, Samsung prices the Wave familly at a lower level. This is a business decision, not a technical limitation: people wouldn't want to invest money on higher model if they were "stuck" on a proprietary platform.

Bada currently has the same market share as WP7.
  • Reply 24 of 145
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

WebOS for HP was a disaster because HP always f*cks things like that up. It has a long history of turning pearls into swine.

you certainly 'f'ed up that quote from Matthew 7:6
  • Reply 25 of 145
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JonGurney View Post

I'm a bit biased cause I just want swipe up card view multitasking in WP7

It's kind of there in mango.
  • Reply 26 of 145
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

yeah we sure as hell wouldn't want competition now would we.

Yeah, the "walled garden" all the basement nerds and tech writers have been screaming about for years turns out to be the correct business model after all. So to compete you have to copy Apple's business model and call it competition.
  • Reply 27 of 145
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

Yes it did come across that way

\

I want Samsung gone because they refuse to compete. I want actual competition more than all the people who whine that Apple is trying to become a monopoly by suing everyone.

They're suing because no one else is actually innovating. They're copying line for line from Apple's designs, both hardware (list of hardware manufacturers here) and software (Android and any OEM UI overlays).

That's why I love Windows Phone 7 even though I abhor everything else Microsoft has ever done (though I do respect that they've done online gaming right. Way better than either Sony or Nintendo's solutions). Windows Phone 7 is completely different from iOS. They actually did something that wasn't a blatant photocopy of Apple's stuff.

The hardware? Looks like iPhone hardware, but Microsoft's not in charge of that.

But that's beside the point.

My original comment alluded to the fact that WebOS seems to be the herpes of smartphone software. Whoever has it eventually has to snip off the affected areas or risk being done in by it. It meant nothing more than that.
  • Reply 28 of 145
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    While it would be nice to see WebOS get a chance to mature, I don't think any company could make it work. Sure, it's a nice OS but it really needs a stable ecosystem to accompany it and provide developers encouragement to develop for it. No simple acquisition of the OS will guarantee that so buying it is a big risk (ask HP). In fact, the speed with which HP just threw up their hands and gave up could be considered a devastating blow to developer confidence in the platform. Sure Samsung could still sell truckloads of phones loaded with it due to carrier subsidies, but it wouldn't help their tablet marketshare at all and would probably kill it altogether.
  • Reply 29 of 145
    Found this article, this might be the source of the rumor:

Samsung urged to dump Android. South Korean government wants local mobile OS

Samsung is coming under pressure to dump Android on its smartphones and tablets – from the South Korean government. The Galaxy S II and Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet maker, as well as fellow Korean electronics giant LG, was told by a deputy commerce minister said that "In the long term, we cannot go on like this by solely relying on Google."

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/goog...-dump-android/
  • Reply 30 of 145
    grmacgrmac Posts: 67member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

HP really messed up - big time.

They had no more than 500,000 Touchpads. We're now more than a week into the sale and they STILL haven't figured out who's getting one and who isn't. They promised order confirmations within 24 to 72 hours - more than 4 days ago. Their ordering site was a disaster - taking many hours and countless refreshes to get an order in. Customer service is a disaster. You call the number and the recorded message says "the average wait in the past 30 minutes was 1 minute" -- and then you wait on hold indefinitely (well over an hour and still waiting). Their online chat can't tell you anything that you can't get from checking the status online yourself - at least when the status site is working. Instead of trying to find out what the status of your order is, online chat simply tells you to call the 800 number. I have 4 units on order and STILL (8 days after the order) can't find out if I'm ever going to receive them or not.

Come on, HP. I know that 500,000 units is a lot, but Apple sold many times that number of iPhones on launch day (just about every year). While they had some problems, they were largely resolved in under a day. Plus, Apple is a consumer oriented company. You really want us to believe that you are a reliable Enterprise partner? When you can't even handle something as simple as a close-out sale?

Even if HP were not getting out of the PC business, I doubt if I'd be buying any more systems from them. If this is what they call customer service, I'll choose someone else.

Those that are currently engaged in an enterprise "relationship" with HP are fully aware of their bottom-tier status, and are reminded of it daily. Where else can it take more than five days to execute a chmod?
  • Reply 31 of 145
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Currently, if you're developing a smartphone app and you want to cover "everyone" you need to develop for iOS and Android. The assumption is that Microsoft's offering will get significant market share. So now you've got to budget for a Windows version. If WebOS is someone else comes along, I think they're going to have a hard time getting major developers interested. Sure EA and some of the big guys will just suck it up and make the investment, but I don't think that you'll see that for core utility/business apps.

This is either cause a major shift away from custom apps (in favor of Web apps) and/or it means that the market won't support more than 2 or 3 OSes in the long run.
  • Reply 32 of 145
    grmacgrmac Posts: 67member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

? \

I want Samsung gone because they refuse to compete. I want actual competition more than all the people who whine that Apple is trying to become a monopoly by suing everyone.

They're suing because no one else is actually innovating. They're copying line for line from Apple's designs, both hardware (list of hardware manufacturers here) and software (Android and any OEM UI overlays).

That's why I love Windows Phone 7 even though I abhor everything else Microsoft has ever done (though I do respect that they've done online gaming right. Way better than either Sony or Nintendo's solutions). Windows Phone 7 is completely different from iOS. They actually did something that wasn't a blatant photocopy of Apple's stuff.

The hardware? Looks like iPhone hardware, but Microsoft's not in charge of that.

But that's beside the point.

My original comment alluded to the fact that WebOS seems to be the herpes of smartphone software. Whoever has it eventually has to snip off the affected areas or risk being done in by it. It meant nothing more than that.

This post likely will strike a few ganglionic nerves...
  • Reply 33 of 145
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

Poor WebOS. Out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Seriously, what does Sammy know about software and its implementation? I know they have Bada out there, but I haven't seen it. This is just about as misguided as HP buying OS.

Soli's probably right. RIM would make better use of WebOS.

What Samsung don't know they will copy from Apple..

• Reply 34 of 145
    Go for it. webOS is a great system. My concern is the apps since developers are wary of this platform.
  • Reply 35 of 145
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    lol that's hilarious. then how do you explain iOS5 being filled with Android features?

I think Apple fell asleep at the wheel and is now playing catchup. They may sell the most phones, but Android as a platform is kicking iOS's butt.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

Apple doesn't need the competition to keep a head of their game, it's all planned out, but chuckles are needed at the Apple pub on Friday nights, so long live WebOS and Samsung and Google and Microsoft.

• Reply 36 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

? \

WebOS seems to be the herpes of smartphone software.

Q: Which of the following does not belong: AIDS, gonorrhea, herpes, or Samsung?

A: Gonorrhea -- it can be cured.
  • Reply 37 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grmac View Post

This post likely will strike a few ganglionic nerves...

Not what I was going for, but I certainly approve of it.

In retrospect, I seem to have stuck pins in WebOS, Samsung, Microsoft, Google, and Android OEMs all in the same post.

And I~ like it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

lol that's hilarious. then how do you explain iOS5 being filled with Android features?

Like…?

Quote:

Android as a platform is kicking iOS's butt.

In… what?

Customer satisfaction? NOPE. iOS is all over that.

Sales retention? NOPE. Returns out the wazoo.

Stability? NOPE.

Responsiveness of software? NOPE.

Sales? YEP. More Android devices have been sold than iOS devices. That's because there are dozens of Android OEMs (and some that report sales to resellers as "sales") and only one Apple.
  • Reply 38 of 145
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    If Samsung were to buy WebOS they'd probably do it for patents. They don't need another (failed) OS. Palm has been building PDAs for a long time so I presume they have a good portfolio of related patents that could be used to defend against Apple.
  • Reply 39 of 145
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Which makes me think that this rumour is bs. Wouldn't Samsung's money be better spent improving Bada.

RIM is a much better candidate imo.

RIM was a better candidate and everyone involved in screwing up their bid for Palm should be fired. But that ship has sailed. They have placed their bet on QNX and any attempt to shift to yet another OS will completely ruin what little confidence anyone has in them anymore.
  • Reply 40 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I really hope you're right, but I'm not so sure.

The thing is, WebOS is actually a great OS, far better than Android in conception and execution. And Samsung, despite their complete lack of any moral sense, is a smart successful company that knows how to execute.

WebOS for Palm was a beyond last ditch effort when the clock had *already* struck midnight on them. WebOS for HP was a disaster because HP always f*cks things like that up. It has a long history of turning pearls into swine.

Samsung could actually succeed here.

Yes and no. The UI is great, and that's about as far as it goes...the underlying OS is slow, the version of Webkit the browser is using dates back to late 2009...it needs a lot of work under the hood.

My real disappointment is how HP repeated all the mistakes Palm made (although Palm was on life support), and then 16 months after the fact, they crunch the numbers and figure that they want to be like IBM.

I say this as a Pre+ user, and will be getting my 32 GB TP today (for $150 it's a great deal, but at iPad prices, no one really wanted it, and it couldn't complete even with Honeycomb word of mouth).