Apple's iPhone 5 rumored with metal chassis, less than 4-inch screen

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

I am still waiting for an iPod Touch with a data plan (similar to the iPad). I don't need a phone often, but instead just need the data. Paying the extra $$$ for minutes even as an add-a-phone on my wife's account is still wasting $28.00 a month versus just a pure data plan. I know some folks think the idea is silly, but Apple would do well to add wireless 3G to the next iPod Touch. There are so many people who don't have iPhones and/or don't want a minutes plan. This would be perfect for many kids and young adults. Use a dedicated Skype number on 3G or wifi and use Google Voice for SMS. Plus this would make a great gateway product to set up future adults with iPhones.

I have been thinking along these same lines since the release of the iPad 3G
  • Reply 22 of 49
    xamaxxamax Posts: 135member
    There are no conflicting rumors, just rumors over two different models - one similar to iPhone 4 at a lower price point, probably with 8GB, and a bigger iPhone 5 with perhaps (up to) 64GB.

It makes Apple's iPhones more accessible - and you have those very big China, India, Brasil, Russia markets where a cheaper iPhone is paramount - and also more adjusted to people who carry around an iPad.

Let's face it - if one carries a 3G iPad around, one already has got all net browsing access and computing one needs, only the telephone calling capabilities remain and that can be provided using a bare bones phone or, more elegantly, 'cos one doesn't ALWAYS carry the iPad with, a smaller capacity iPhone for quick sorting of situations/what-have-you.

Apple is adjusting the gadgets for our Apple ecosystem lifestyle

Let's move on please!

Now regarding the 55" Apple iPlay device...
  • Reply 23 of 49
    trevctrevc Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

People talking about wanting 4.5" screen...

I'd rather have a phone that fits into my pocket.

It still does, it's the iPad that doesn't fit. After buying an iPad, I can't believe how much LESS I use my iPhone.

I think they have no choice but to slightly increase the size as cramming weather widgets, notifications, etc., etc. is the way of the future and even a 'tad more space' for this kind of stuff will be welcome by the average person.

Although, Apple usually tries to tell us what we want, in this case, I'd like them to listen as I've boughten into their iOS ecosystem and would want SOME choice.
  • Reply 24 of 49
    Quote:

Unless you're a woman wearing tight fitting jeans, a 4.5" phone should fit in a pocket.
  • Reply 25 of 49
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arrowspark View Post

Unless you're a woman wearing tight fitting jeans, a 4.5" phone should fit in a pocket.

That's debatable.

And moot because I don't want a 4.5" screen on my phone.
  • Reply 26 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Rumors surrounding Apple's next-generation iPhone have been have provided conflicting reports, creating confusion as to whether Apple's next handset will sport an all-new design, or have an appearance similar to the iPhone 4

Oooo, shocking.
  • Reply 27 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arrowspark View Post

Are you one?

No, I don't think women wearing tight fitting jeans will ever wear anything in their jeans pockets, that would defeat the purpose of tight fitting jeans which is to show their curves/shape. They've invented something for that

It's called a purse!
  • Reply 28 of 49
    Wow, I just watched the so-called bogus video and there's nothing bogus about it

Me wants one! Gotta have one! Argh
  • Reply 29 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by XamaX View Post

Wow, I just watched the so-called bogus video and there's nothing bogus about it

Other than the fact that it's OBVIOUSLY FAKED.
  • Reply 30 of 49
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    Unless you're a chick, it should fit.

I've been looking at the new Android phones with the 4.5 AMOLED screens and they look gorgeous. Hopefully Apple takes a design cue from these.

Quote:

• Reply 31 of 49
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    A 3.5 to 3.7-inch panel is too small unless the iPhone5 also comes with sandpaper so users can sand down their fingers to a smaller size.
  • Reply 32 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

A 3.5 to 3.7-inch panel is too small unless the iPhone5 also comes with sandpaper so users can sand down their fingers to a smaller size.

Nice misuse of a Steve Jobs quote. It's too bad it makes absolutely no sense here.
  • Reply 33 of 49
    How will they transmit a cell phone signal through a metal back?
  • Reply 34 of 49
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    The iPhone 5 rumor of it having a screen under 4" seems like a no-brainer. I thought people were already assuming the iPhone 5 would be about the same form factor as previous revisions, but with the screen enlarged to reduce white space. So much wasted white space on the iPhone right now, it is a shame.
  • Reply 35 of 49
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmanofds View Post

I think there is more of a need for a smaller iPhone than a larger one. I carry my iPad daily, so I don’t need much when it comes to a phone.

That's what I'd lean towards, too. Or perhaps a smaller phone paired with a larger iPod touch. And with tethering the touch wouldn't even need a cell connection. This is what I've wanted since the first iPhone and touch came out. Just give me a small, simple phone with wi-fi hotspot built in. I carry my phone with my everywhere, so small, light, portable are the top priorities. Then let me choose what data device I want to carry depending on the day's needs...touch, iPad, MacBook Pro, etc.

Sure, it means you are sometimes carrying more than one device, but if one of those is a small phone, is it really that big a deal? You gain the flexibility of what size screen you want and the cost savings of only one data plan.
  • Reply 36 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This report makes little sense.

AppleInsider goes out of it's way to say that the video is a known "fake" but then describes a phone that's pretty much an exact match of the one in the video. Then they go on about a larger screen right before stating that it will actually only "look" larger. Finally, AppleInsider mentions a report from yesterday that was published in this very blog about photographs of a "white glass" back part for the iPhone that was (by their own report), clearly made of plastic and not glass at all.

I agree with pretty much everything you said...except that last part. That white glass back was never confirmed as being plastic. If you look at it for more than 2 seconds, you can CLEARLY see a plastic sheet over the back of it. It even comes off the edges of the piece. The plastic wrap was clearly there, but what's underneath that nobody really knows.
  • Reply 37 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yawnstretch View Post

How will they transmit a cell phone signal through a metal back?

The same way they did it with the first-gen iPhone.

Seriously, are you people intentionally being dense? An entirely metal back would be LiquidMetal, which is radio transparent.
  • Reply 38 of 49
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trevc View Post

It still does, it's the iPad that doesn't fit. After buying an iPad, I can't believe how much LESS I use my iPhone.

I think they have no choice but to slightly increase the size as cramming weather widgets, notifications, etc., etc. is the way of the future and even a 'tad more space' for this kind of stuff will be welcome by the average person.

Although, Apple usually tries to tell us what we want, in this case, I'd like them to listen as I've boughten into their iOS ecosystem and would want SOME choice.

A slight increase (3.8-3.9) is my guess, 4.0 at the outside or you start to have problems claiming "retina-ness" (I've read the math on the res, current size, etc., but I've forgotten it, if someone wants to correct me), and they'd also have to increase the width of the form factor beyond that point. Which is not. going. to. happen. (give or take possibly a millimeter).

Otherwise you start to lose mainstream users - and Apple's a long way from offering a range of current model form factors (a possible mostly last gen 4S and new 5, notwithstanding).
  • Reply 39 of 49
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nice misuse of a Steve Jobs quote. It's too bad it makes absolutely no sense here.

Try using both a 3.5" and a 4" phone (I have both for app development). You quickly realize that unless you have really small fingers the 4" screen is so much easier to use in comparison to a 3.5" screen.
  • Reply 40 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Rumors surrounding Apple's next-generation iPhone have been have provided conflicting reports

And the AI typos continue unabated...