Evidence suggests Apple will bring iCloud to Snow Leopard

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
For Mac users who have not yet upgraded to Lion, new evidence suggests Apple will add iCloud support to its predecessor, Snow Leopard, in the form of an update.

A developer running Tiger updated their MobileMe account to iCloud. After making the changeover, a .Mac preference pane in Tiger mentioned that iCloud requires a computer running Mac OS X 10.6.9 or later, a screenshot provided to MacRumors shows.

"You will no longer be able to sync with this machine because you've upgraded to iCloud," the preference pane reads. "iCloud requires a computer running Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.9 or later for contacts, Calendars and Bookmarks."

The current build of Snow Leopard is Mac OS X 10.6.8, with Apple's attention now turned to Mac OS X 10.7 Lion. Given the aggressive $29.99 price point of Lion on the Mac App Store, support for iCloud in a previous-generation operating system may come as a surprise to some.

iCloud is set to debut this fall, but developers have been testing the software with beta builds of Mac OS X 10.7.2. The latest build of 10.7.2 and iCloud beta 9 were issued to developers last Friday.

For developers, iCloud for OS X Lion is an add-on installer for Mac OS X that adds in-development iCloud functionality to Macs for developers.

The free iCloud service will automatically and wirelessly sync data from iOS devices, like the iPhone and iPad, as well as Macs and PCs. iCloud will include cloud-based contacts, calendar and e-mail, allowing users to access their inboxes, events and contacts across a range of devices. Through iCloud, this data will always be up-to-date and in sync.

iCloud will also automatically and securely back up iOS devices daily when users charge their iPhone, iPad or iPad touch. Backed up content will include music, apps, books, photos, videos, device settings, and application data.

In addition, iCloud Storage will provide users 5GB of space to store important files, such as documents and mail. With the new Documents & Data feature, Apple's iCloud will automatically propagate changes made to a file on one device to every other synced device. For example, users will be able to create a document in Pages on their iPhone, and later access it from an iPad, Mac or PC.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iCloud is set to debut this fall, but developers have been testing the software with beta builds of Mac OS X 10.7.2. The latest build of 10.7.2 and iCloud beta 9 were issued to developers last Friday.

I am unable to upgrade to 10.7.1 (or 10.7.2) for some odd reason. A few others on dev have reported the same thing. I'm wondering if it is because I have web sharing on or the fact that I updated the php and also added MySql, the latter which is not included in Lion.

Anyway, it just says that the disk does not meet the requirements to install the upgrade.

Anyway I'm glad they are offering iCloud for SL since I really don't like Lion that much and plan to stick with SL on my main production machine for the time being.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    Quote:

For example, users will be able to create a document in Pages on their iPhone, and later access it from an iPad, Mac or PC.

What kind of Pages file do you think it syncs with a PC? Does it convert it back and forth as a Word document or do you think that Pages for Windows will be forthcoming?
  • Reply 3 of 48
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

What kind of Pages file do you think it syncs with a PC? Does it convert it back and forth as a Word document or do you think that Pages for Windows will be forthcoming?

There'll never be an iWork for Windows. Office just can't be unseated unless the PCs themselves are replaced with OS X devices.

But Pages syncs .DOC and .PDF files to PCs with iCloud, I believe, though I don't know for sure.
  • Reply 4 of 48
    My single iMac Core Duo, out of a 4 Apple Computer Home Network, is the sole machine that cannot support Lion.

Yet I want doc synchronization, a la iCloud !!!

I had actually been researching upgrading the CPU to a Core 2 Duo, and all the mess that entails, just to support Lion.

Now, I will want to wait and see.
  • Reply 5 of 48
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:

I am unable to upgrade to 10.7.1 (or 10.7.2) for some odd reason. A few others on dev have reported the same thing.

I had the same problem with 10.7.2. It was because I had Mac OS X Server installed (and was sharing files, etc via it). You have to perform a series of steps to bring your Mac back to non-server mode. I'll see if I can find a link with instructions.

Found it:

1) http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4827

2) and then go to /System/Library/CoreServices/ and remove ServerVersion.plist

3) reboot and good to go
  • Reply 6 of 48
    see flatsee flat Posts: 145member
    Quote:

For Mac users who have not yet upgraded to Lion, new evidence suggests Apple will add iCloud support to its predecessor, Snow Leopard, in the form of an update.

This would be very welcomed news. Leaving behind my G5 tower was one thing, but to have to also replace my Macbook Pro dual core was irritating. If a computer does what job it is intended to do, there is no reason to get better or faster. BUT... i do need sync between all my devices and the fact I could not use iCloud because it is tied to lion which cannot be installed on my laptop was the pits.
  • Reply 7 of 48
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    This is basically MobileMe. Snow Leopard users will most likely get to sync contacts, bookmarks, and calendars. You still need Lion to sync files and other stuff.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

Given the aggressive $29.99 price point of Lion on the Mac App Store, support for iCloud in a previous-generation operating system may come as a surprise to some.

The surprise would be if SL offered the full iCloud experience. Many of iCloud's basic features are simple repackaged standards: IMAP for mail, vCards for contacts, CalDAV for events. In other words, the same technology MobileMe uses. I could see the file syncing not making it to SL becuase that's probably a pretty advance implementation of WebDAV to sync fragments of files and leverages a lot of the same code as AutoSave and Versions in Lion.

If iCloud doesn't support SL in at least some minimal fashion, Apple risks losing a lot of people to alternative services such as Google. As much as Apple would love everyone to upgrade to Lion, I think they'd also also prefer to keep those who don't upgrade drinking the kool-aid so they can be influenced to upgrade at some point in the future. Otherwise once someone starts using another service they may not easily come back for iCloud later.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    kennmsrkennmsr Posts: 100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by See Flat View Post

This would be very welcomed news. Leaving behind my G5 tower was one thing, but to have to also replace my Macbook Pro dual core was irritating. If a computer does what job it is intended to do, there is no reason to get better or faster. BUT... i do need sync between all my devices and the fact I could not use iCloud because it is tied to lion which cannot be installed on my laptop was the pits.

I wholly agree, why abandon a very well functioning G4 iMac or PowerBook just so I can continue to sync with my iPad and iPhones. Let's bring the support back at least to Leopard. It's bad enough I'm going to be losing my Syncing of my Dock Items, Keychains, preferences and my personal website in Mobileme. Now O'm relegated to update most of the household computers to take advantage Apple's new features. I used to poke fun at the PC community for upgrading every three to four years while the average age my my customers computers (Mac Consultant) was 7 years. That was the reason that the PC market always showed such gains in (sales) market share. My daughter has gone through 2 Dell laptops in the past 5 years while still primarily using her 1999 ClamShell iBook (Vertical Market App that Requires IE 6+).
  • Reply 10 of 48
    gprovidagprovida Posts: 258member
    When iCloud comes out, it sounds like Leopard machines will have a big disconnect when iDisk et goes away. I can live with changes in iWeb, Gallery, etc. changes but I sure would like to retain my current storage options in iDisk on iCloud. iTunes Cloud services are going to work? I have PPC tower, Dual 2.7 GHz, 20 TB of Storage, with iTunes working with MacBook Airs 2008, iPads, Apple TV Gen 1 and 2, as well as iPhone 4s. The transition will be awkward as it seems to be emerging.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    bwinskibwinski Posts: 164member
    This would be a monster step forward for every user of Sl that's just on the ragged edge of having a great experience/setup on that platform but not being able to transition to Lion. This will keep MILLIONS of users smiling...
  • Reply 12 of 48
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I am unable to upgrade to 10.7.1 (or 10.7.2) for some odd reason. A few others on dev have reported the same thing. I'm wondering if it is because I have web sharing on or the fact that I updated the php and also added MySql, the latter which is not included in Lion.

Anyway, it just says that the disk does not meet the requirements to install the upgrade.

Anyway I'm glad they are offering iCloud for SL since I really don't like Lion that much and plan to stick with SL on my main production machine for the time being.

Did you use the revisoner for 10.7.2 first?
  • Reply 13 of 48
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    This makes sense. I have updated my two home computer to Lion, but am holding off on my work laptop, which still runs 10.6.8. I've had a bug here and there (nothing major) using Lion that it's made me paranoid about upgrading my work computer. But I still want the Lion bennies, such as iCloud.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Did you use the revisoner for 10.7.2 first?

No, don't recall hearing anything about that. I actually didn't really want to beta anymore, I just wanted 10.7.1 but when that didn't work I downloaded the 10.7.2 combo updater, which presented the same error I was getting with 10.7.1. I will reinstall a fresh copy of 10.7 and start over, but if the error is really caused by enabling a couple configurations and installing a service or two, then that isn't really very convenient is it? I think Apple just wants you to install Lion and not fiddle around with it because it wasn't really ready for prime time when they released it and the new features they are planning to implement are likely to break things if you make any changes to it while it is in this unfinished state. JMO.
  • Reply 15 of 48
    I would like Apple to put their priorities more in place and let them focus on existing irritations.

WHEN ARE THEY PLANNING TO BRING MULTICAM EDITING TO FCP X.

Thats what most of us professional users are waiting for.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    Quote:

A developer running Tiger updated their MobileMe account to iCloud. After making the changeover, a .Mac preference pane in Tiger mentioned that iCloud requires a computer running Mac OS X 10.6.9 or later, a screenshot provided to MacRumors shows.

Tiger? Do you mean Lion?
  • Reply 17 of 48
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobborries View Post

Tiger? Do you mean Lion?

Nope. Tiger. Why else would he get that error message?
  • Reply 18 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by See Flat View Post

This would be very welcomed news. Leaving behind my G5 tower was one thing, but to have to also replace my Macbook Pro dual core was irritating. If a computer does what job it is intended to do, there is no reason to get better or faster. ...

Yes, but in this case the computer doesn't do the job you want it to do (run Lion and iCloud), therefore that's the reason to upgrade.

The way you are phrasing it is kind of a circular logic (It does what I want it to do so I shouldn't have to upgrade it to make it do that thing that I want it to do, that it doesn't actually do).
  • Reply 19 of 48
    Wait...why does it say ".Mac" instead of MobileMe ? Is that a developer thing?
  • Reply 20 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinnquality View Post

I would like Apple to put their priorities more in place and let them focus on existing irritations.

WHEN ARE THEY PLANNING TO BRING MULTICAM EDITING TO FCP X.

Thats what most of us professional users are waiting for.

Right because an extra feature for a brand new pro app used by just a few is waaay more important than a new baseline feature of the OS used by literally millions of people.

Also, the people working on each of these two problems are not likely to be in the same group at all so there is no equivalency anyway.