Proposed Apple Store in Santa Monica features giant curved glass ceiling

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Yes, you would.

I'd love to see you argue this point. Would imagine the architects have given some thought to earthquakes. Maybe you could refer to their plans or proposal.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    Quote:

Yes, you would.

The ceiling is only 34 ft high. The walls will be built to sway, the glass will be held loosely in tracks and will feel no tensile stress as the entire ceiling sways gently back and forth.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OccamsAftershave View Post

The ceiling is only 34 ft high. The walls will be built to sway, the glass will be held loosely in tracks and will feel no tensile stress as the entire ceiling sways gently back and forth.

It will still make a good video.

WelshDog and other hand-wringers: Try wearing a leek around your neck. Courage!

Edit: It will actually make a better video than the roof crashing in.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    Very cool design. Hadn't seen the one in NYC either till now. I'm assuming they don't ever see the occasional huge ass hail storms like we see here in Texas every so often....LOL. And I'd like to second the question... does anyone know who makes the glass for them?
  • Reply 25 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

All the glass and natural lighting make for a grand first impression - I loved first walking into the NYC upper westside store - but as soon as you walk up to a table you see how much of a design mistake it is. The glare it causes on iPads is actually quite significant. It's bad enough that it feels like they're trying to prove the Amazon Kindle ads are right.

Unless Apple is making this decision based on the fact that they know iPads and iPhones will not have glossy screens much longer.

Good point.... I totally forgot about the glare issues from such a roof. So what they need to invent is big floating umbrellas to site over the tables.....LOL. Love all my Macs, but as any who uses one a lot (like me ) will discover, it's a hell of a lot easier on your eyes using them in a darker room.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    citycity Posts: 522member
    The existing store is too small and the proposed store might be too, unless more are planned for the Westside. This store serves some of the wealthiest communities in the country, including Malibu, Pacific Palisades, Bentwood and most Santa Monica neighborhoods. The City of Santa Monica has about 89k people and the two year budget is 1.27B.

It is too bad they didn't acquire the larger Barnes and Noble Promenade location at the corner of Wilshire, although there might be landmark issues with demolishing it. Luckily the new building is smaller then the old and these properties don't contain apartments. The City has been under the control by a renter's right group for three decades and they want to preserve their voting base. Many apartments are Landmarked.

This is an international tourist destination.

It is also notable that this store has a blind (with blue uniformed dog) staff member and is frequented by Stevie Wonder.

The proposed building is beautiful!
  • Reply 27 of 29
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Earthquake.

Crashing sound.

Death.

Do you actually think you were the only one to think of this?

Quote:

Yes, you would.

Not necessarily.

A building that stood rigid and inflexible in an earthquake regardless of the materials it is made of is more likely to be structurally compromised.

A building that could move and sway with the rocking of an earthquake regardless of the materials it is made of is a building more likely to survive an earthquake.

Today's building codes require large structures to add safety measures to survive earthquakes.

-
  • Reply 28 of 29
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
  • Reply 29 of 29
    riccoricco Posts: 1member
    Hi folks,

I work for an international glass design firm here in Los Angeles.

The future is here folks. through innovations, and discoveries related to the material referred to as "Glass" which is basically made of ? can you answer?

Answer is plain old SAND.

thats right 90% of the active material in everyday used glass is silica or sand.

anyhow the glass being used in the new Santa Monica Store will be

1- Much more esthetically pleasing to the eye as well as the environment than concrete or steel by far.

2- The glass will be 100% safer and earthquake resistant than concrete or steel .

3- The glass make up achieves the best combination of energy saving through heating/cooling as well as electrical usage for lighting up the place.

A significant saving .. means compared to a store without the glass roof the elec. bill will be cut by a minimum of 50% .

and guess what else the actual glass has so many other functions and capabilities

I almost forgot another important detail.

has anyone ever heard of glare free glass?

yes its a type of glass that is glare resistant. it also can be manufactured to completely illuminate shadows, and glare .

just another innovation in the world of that barely seen or appreciated material

(by the way its also the most abundant and least expensive to make) called

G L A S S .