Sprint schedules Oct. 7 event amid iPhone rumors

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Sprint has scheduled a "Strategy Update" presentation for Friday, Oct. 7, around the same time the carrier is rumored to begin offering Apple's iPhone.

Earlier this month The Wall Street Journal claimed that Sprint will join AT&T and Verizon in introducing a new iPhone in mid-October. Currently, the iPhone is only available to Verizon and AT&T customers in the U.S.

Sprint this week sent out invitations to members of the press advertising an event dubbed "Sprint's Strategy Update." It will feature presentations by senior management at the carrier, along with a Q&A session.

This is my next suggested the event is "likely" to be about the carrier's high-speed 4G network plans, but also said that "maybe" the presentation could also be related to the next iPhone.

"We'd be surprised if this was the event to announce it, but the past month of tech news has been crazy enough that anything could happen," they wrote.

While new iPhone models have typically been introduced at Apple events, a CDMA variant of the iPhone 4 compatible with Verizon's network was unveiled this January at an event hosted in New York City by Verizon, not Apple. But that was a unique situation for an out-of-cycle upgrade that arrived months after the iPhone 4 debuted on AT&T's network.

Apple is expected to introduce its new fifth-generation iPhone this fall, with the latest rumors pointing toward a mid-October launch. Some reports have suggested the next iPhone will be a "world phone" capable of connecting to both GSM networks, like AT&T, as well as CDMA, like Verizon and Sprint, without the need for two separate models.

This past weekend, a leaked memo from Sprint revealed that employees of the carrier have been instructed to simply state "no comment" when they are asked about the iPhone. Employees have been told to say they are familiar with news reports suggesting the iPhone is coming to Sprint, but to say they don't have any information to share.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    How much extra work would it take to modify the current CDMA model to support the Sprint network? I imagine it would all be in the software/firmware, but I could be mistaken.

Then a CDMA/GSM hybrid iPhone 5 to round off the high end. Sounds good to me.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    But will it support 4G networks?? A bigger screen and 4G have to top the list of desired new features. I am eligible for a new phone and would like those features if I am to have it for another 18 months....

Tom
  • Reply 3 of 25
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

But will it support 4G networks?? A bigger screen and 4 G have to top the list of new features. I am eligible for a new phone and would like those features if I am to have it for another 18 months?.

OF COURSE NOT. Unless you consider HSPA+ to be 4G (It isn't). The iPhone won't have LTE and it CERTAINLY isn't going to get WiMAX.

And it won't have a larger screen, you know.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Not much except for Sprint's network codes.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

OF COURSE NOT. Unless you consider HSPA+ to be 4G (It isn't). The iPhone won't have LTE and it CERTAINLY isn't going to get WiMAX.

And it won't have a larger screen, you know.

And Apple is NEVER going to make a CDMA phone. It's a dying technology and is..... oh, wait. Never say never. It's unlikely Apple would put LTE or WiMAX in this iteration, but I'm sure they've had phones in testing with these technologies in them since they were available, so they've at least been working on it. Apple's always good for a few surprises, so let's just wait and see what they announce.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

oh, wait.

Except when WiMAX is available in fifteen cities in ONE country, won't be made available anywhere else on the planet, and will eventually be shut down because even Sprint says LTE is the real way to go.

And except when current LTE chips draw too much power to be usable and when LTE isn't available in more than four or five of Apple's thirty+ countries of availability–half of which won't have LTE for many, MANY years–and the other half (like the U.S.) are too large for a viable LTE rollout for years.

Quote:

Never say never.

But you're right. Never say never. Fine, it's 100% confirmed the iPhone 5 will have LTE. AND WiMAX.

(To clarify all this, I'm absolutely not saying it will never happen. Just that it'd be stupid to happen with THIS iPhone.)

Quote:

Apple's always good for a few disappointments

Fixed. You haven't seen many Apple announcements past 2005, have you?
  • Reply 7 of 25
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:

Except when WiMAX is available in fifteen cities in ONE country, won't be made available anywhere else on the planet, and will eventually be shut down because even Sprint says LTE is the real way to go.

And except when current LTE chips draw too much power to be usable and when LTE isn't available in more than four or five of Apple's thirty+ countries of availability?half of which won't have LTE for many, MANY years?and the other half (like the U.S.) are too large for a viable LTE rollout for years.

But you're right. Never say never. Fine, it's 100% confirmed the iPhone 5 will have LTE. AND WiMAX.

(To clarify all this, I'm absolutely not saying it will never happen. Just that it'd be stupid to happen with THIS iPhone.)

Fixed. You haven't seen many Apple announcements past 2005, have you?

Wow, someone's feisty today. Pretty sure "never say never" doesn't mean it's 100%, for fact confirmed, just that it's not 100%, for fact confirmed that it's not happening, too. And I can only speak for myself, but I haven't been too terribly disappointed in Apple's announcements. Maybe it's because the lackluster ones didn't affect me (ex. iPod nano), but I've been pleased with most of what's come out lately. I obviously would like hardware advancements, but the software advancements are more interesting to me, and that stuff is shaping up very nicely.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Quote:

Wow, someone's feisty today. Pretty sure "never say never" doesn't mean it's 100%, for fact confirmed,

That would be what the shakey-head is for.

Quote:

And I can only speak for myself, but I haven't been too terribly disappointed in Apple's announcements.

Well, that's good, at least. Good for you. As a collective, though, the rumor community has.

Quote:

Maybe it's because the lackluster ones didn't affect me (ex. iPod nano),

Wait, you consider the iPod nano to be "lackluster"?!

Quote:

the software advancements are more interesting to me,

So why the push for LTE?
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

How much extra work would it take to modify the current CDMA model to support the Sprint network? I imagine it would all be in the software/firmware, but I could be mistaken.

Then a CDMA/GSM hybrid iPhone 5 to round off the high end. Sounds good to me.

None. Verizon and Sprint use the exact same CDMA frequencies. All Sprint needs is EINs entered into their database for the network to support the phones.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    mtg714mtg714 Posts: 12member
    Quote:

That would be what the shakey-head is for.

Well, that's good, at least. Good for you. As a collective, though, the rumor community has.

Wait, you consider the iPod nano to be "lackluster"?!

So why the push for LTE?

So, why the negativity? If you are dissapointed in Apple, then why you here on this board? Go buy a dell or hp. I'm sure they won't disappoint you.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mtg714 View Post

So, why the negativity? If you are dissapointed in Apple, then why you here on this board?

Not sure where I said that. That's probably because I didn't. I said Apple's good for a few disappointments (through the words of another poster). I didn't say I was disappointed in Apple. They never meet the collective expectations of the rumor community. Buying a PC wouldn't mitigate any of those disappointments. Not sure why you'd even begin to think that.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Quote:

Not sure where I said that. That's probably because I didn't. I said Apple's good for a few disappointments (through the words of another poster). I didn't say I was disappointed in Apple. They never meet the collective expectations of the rumor community. Buying a PC wouldn't mitigate any of those disappointments. Not sure why you'd even begin to think that.

Well, you said "collectively"... Meaning that the majority on here feel this way. Not sure if I missed it, but I didn't see a poll where people voted and you tallied the results to make that conclusion. It was purely your assumption, and I don't feel the same way as you. So, Collectively, we all don't feel that way. That was an assumption you made based on your personal emotions.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mtg714 View Post

Well, you said "collectively"... Meaning that the majority on here feel this way. Not sure if I missed it, but I didn't see a poll where people voted and you tallied the results to make that conclusion. It was purely your assumption, and I don't feel the same way as you. So, Collectively, we all don't feel that way. That was an assumption you made based on your personal emotions.

Collectively doesn't mean unanimously.

Tallest Skil is correct. Apple frequently disappoints the rumor mongering community. The vast majority of forum reader "wishes" seem to be based in a dreamworld where the laws of physics are repealed and the economic reality of consumer electronics design and manufacturing simply don't exist. Just keep reading these forums (AI, MacRumors, and others).

You'll see that the vast majority of wishful thinking in these bboards is unrealistic.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

Exactly.

That said, do I think there are talks going on for just CDMA or perhaps after they switch to LTE. Sure. Do I think they are guaranteed to be ready by the iPhone 5. No, not guaranteed. Which could be why employees are told to say 'no comment' and try to sell another phone (unspoken part of that memo). The execs don't want folks finding out that Sprint won't carry the iPhone until at least the iPhone 6 cause then the customers might jump ship to another carrier. Get them locked in now and if they do jump at least they did it with a fat ETF to take out the sting.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Collectively doesn't mean unanimously.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Sorry for the confusing wording, mtg714.

Quote:

You'll see that the vast majority of wishful thinking in these bboards is unrealistic.

And then those people are all SHOCKED when Apple releases products that have to conform to the laws of physics. They're HURT and they feel BETRAYED.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    grmacgrmac Posts: 67member
    Quote:

Wow, someone's feisty today. Pretty sure "never say never" doesn't mean it's 100%, for fact confirmed, just that it's not 100%, for fact confirmed that it's not happening, too. And I can only speak for myself, but I haven't been too terribly disappointed in Apple's announcements. Maybe it's because the lackluster ones didn't affect me (ex. iPod nano), but I've been pleased with most of what's come out lately. I obviously would like hardware advancements, but the software advancements are more interesting to me, and that stuff is shaping up very nicely.

It's possible that the announcement will detail the availability of the Pre on Sprint...
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grmac View Post

It's possible that the announcement will detail the availability of the Pre on Sprint...

Are you making a joke? Palm was purchased months ago and WebOS was just killed off by HP, who purchased them.

The Pre doesn't really exist anymore, does it?
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Quote:

And then those people are all SHOCKED when Apple releases products that have to conform to the laws of physics. They're HURT and they feel BETRAYED.

Yeah, it's pretty sad.

Heck, they probably think they should be driving Ferraris and dating supermodels.

• Reply 19 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Yeah, it's pretty sad.

Heck, they probably think they should be driving Ferraris and dating supermodels.

You mean, if you date a supermodel and drive a Ferrari, you get an iPhone that ignores the laws of physics?

Getting a Ferrari right now. Supermodel should be easy...
  • Reply 20 of 25
    grmacgrmac Posts: 67member
    Quote:

Are you making a joke? Palm was purchased months ago and WebOS was just killed off by HP, who purchased them.

The Pre doesn't really exist anymore, does it?

/s