Apple continues to gain US smartphone share as iOS hits 27%

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's stateside share of the smartphone market continued to grow last quarter, with the iPhone representing 27 percent of the domestic mobile operating system market.

It was a 1 percentage point change from Apple quarter over quarter, with iOS increasing from 26 percent in the April quarter of 2011, according to the latest data from comScore. Apple's gains came at the expense of Research in Motion (down 4 points), Microsoft (1 point) and Symbian (0.4 points).

The only other gainer among the top five smartphone platforms was Google's Android, which saw 5.4 percentage point growth quarter over quarter, easily outpacing Apple. Android now represents 41.8 percent of smartphones in the U.S.

comScore said 82.2 million people in the U.S. owned smartphones during the three months that ended in July 2011. That's up 10 percent from the preceding April quarter.

In terms of hardware manufacturers for both smartphones and regular cell phones, Samsung was tops with 25.5 percent share, up 1 point from the April quarter. Apple was the only other gainer in the top five, growing 1.2 points from the previous quarter to 9.5 percent of total mobile subscribers. Apple only competes in the smartphone market, while Samsung also makes traditional cell phones.

Among hardware vendors, LG was flat at 20.9 percent, Motorola dipped 1.5 percentage points to 14.1 percent, and RIM slid 0.6 points to 7.6 percent.

For the three-month span ending in July, there were 234 million Americans ages 13 and older using mobile devices. comScore's study surveyed more than 30,000 U.S. mobile subscribers for its latest MobiLens report

comScore first reported in January of this year that Android had passed the iPhone in total U.S. subscribers for the first time. At the time, RIM was the market leader with 33.5 percent of the U.S. market, but the BlackBerry maker has quickly plummeted to third place, now well behind Android and iOS.

Apple's smartphone presence consists solely of the iPhone, while handsets running Google Android are represented by a number of manufacturers and many more devices. comScore's data represents devices actively being used rather than current sales figures.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 91
    Beleaguered Apple is doomed.

Android rules.

Short AAPL now.
  • Reply 2 of 91
    If you are so sure, buy some Google stock (and short Apple too). I'm betting against you. I'll keep my Apple stock. Thank you very much!
  • Reply 3 of 91
    Lost in translation
  • Reply 4 of 91
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    The real test is going to happen when all the low-end players (RIM, Windows, Nokia, etc.) are finally eliminated and the battle takes place between Android and iOS. Will Apple maintain its marketshare or will Android start eating away at Apple's share? Right now it's a growth market and the two leaders have lots of room to expand. The interesting question is "what happens when it's a zero-sum game?"
  • Reply 5 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

Android rules.

Short AAPL now.

Cool story bro
  • Reply 6 of 91
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:

Lost in translation

And that's why it is advisable to use smilies on the Internet.

There are just too many people with different backgrounds and interpretations to make untipped sarcasm a clever ploy. There are a large number of people on tech forums who aren't native English speakers. In general, sarcasm is less effective in written communications than in speech. In live spoken communications, there are often gestural hints that indicate sarcasm and the speaker will often measure up his/her audience before trying sarcasm, again because it doesn't always work with all audiences.

And no, I'm not joking.

• Reply 7 of 91
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    That's a pretty healthy jump for Android. Apple will definitely need to open up their phone to all major carriers if they hope to compete against Google for market share.
  • Reply 8 of 91
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Android smartphones are on all US networks. How many customers the other non-iphone nettworks have? This is the missing parameter in the iOS-Android duel.
  • Reply 9 of 91
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

That's a pretty healthy jump for Android. Apple will definitely need to open up their phone to all major carriers if they hope to compete against Google for market share.

They definitely will.
  • Reply 10 of 91
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    The weird thing is I have met or seen literally countless people with iPhones and even many BBs but I have yet to see anyone with an Android phone. And yes I travel a lot!
  • Reply 11 of 91
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

But Apple doesn't really compete for marketshare. They would rather take the lion's share of the profits, let everyone else scrap it out for crumbs.

Apple is taking something like 60+% of the cellphone industry's profits with just 5-6% of the total share (all handsets, smartphone and dumbphones).

This is the same thing with their PC division. Apple takes the major of the PC industry's profits despite their low marketshare. Meanwhile, giants like HP sell a lot more systems, yet struggle to maintain profitability. HP intends to sell or spin off their Personal Systems Group because of this issue.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The weird thing is I have met or seen literally countless people with iPhones and even many BBs but I have yet to see anyone with an Android phone. And yes I travel a lot!

I see them a lot in the SF Bay Area and my anecdotal observations match the reported demographics: young, male, high-tech nerds.
  • Reply 12 of 91
    Quote:

I know three people who have Andriod phones. On works for Adobe, the second is a geek who likes root access sans jailbreak and the third is my brother because it was cheap. Past that I see the same thing as you.

Same goes for iPads. I've never seen a Galaxy Tab or the like outside of Best Buy (and even in the store I've never seen anyone actually playing with anything other than iPads).
  • Reply 13 of 91
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

You're not going to the right places. If you hang out with educated, sophisticated adults you're less likely to see an Android-based device? at least, that's what the advertising campaigns seem to indicate.
  • Reply 14 of 91
    Quote:

Android rules.

Short AAPL now.

Enough said....
  • Reply 15 of 91
    I'm sure this is why Steve Jobs resigned. He realized that he had failed in his attempts to have more iOS market share than Android.

j/k
  • Reply 16 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

The real test is going to happen when all the low-end players (RIM, Windows, Nokia, etc.) are finally eliminated and the battle takes place between Android and iOS...

This is a battle that has already taken place and iOS has won.

The article is about smartphone share in the USA. Worldwide and platform to platform, iOS already "won" a long time ago. By the time the other smaller smartphone vendors have disappeared, iOS will be so completely dominant that it won't even matter.

This is just a USA only statistic of limited meaning and almost no consequence to the platform war that is currently going on.
  • Reply 17 of 91
    Quote:

Lost in translation

I couldn't take your first post seriously even if you were...

Many will read the first post... but not the second... count on it.
  • Reply 18 of 91
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DougMcNerd View Post

If you are so sure, buy some Google stock (and short Apple too). I'm betting against you. I'll keep my Apple stock. Thank you very much!

I wouldn't buy stock in a company convicted of aiding and abetting illegal drug traffickers.
  • Reply 19 of 91
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You're not going to the right places. If you hang out with educated, sophisticated adults you're less likely to see an Android-based device? at least, that's what the advertising campaigns seem to indicate.

I rarely see folks using Android phones. When I do, they usually fall into two categories:

1) They were purchased cheap at their local wireless store. Thinking it was "just like an iPhone" but cheaper, or given with a 2-for-1 plan, or whatever supposed "deal" they thought they were getting. Most people in that group from my experience hate their Android phones. Most common reasons - They suck batteries like it's going out of style, shoddy build quality, and just too complicated to use.

2) They very tech-saavy people that are really into tinkering and love command-line windows. For all matters, these are the perfect devices for them as they have some innate need to control every small aspect of their device instead of using it as a phone (and not a PC) and actually doing something better with their time instead of trying to locate the next app that manages phone resources. Let's not get started on the "Free & Open and Walled-garden" debate as most consumers could really not care any less about that.

Everyone else I come across with use iPhones. Most don't own any other Apple products. Most don't ever plug their iPhones into a computer once they start using it. They are happy with it, most have rave reviews about the elegance and simplicity of it. In general, they are a very satisfied customer.

They are also the most stolen... that has to mean something!!!
  • Reply 20 of 91
    Quote:

Yeah, same here.

I see quite a few Asian kids with Android phones because of the cheap aspect and because they are die hard Windows fans, but when I'm on transit and I look around the train, for every 10 devices, I see roughly 3 Blackberries 6 iPhones and 1 Android.

I only saw my first Windows Phone Ultimate 7 Edition today.

Which was pretty hilarious as the person that had it was an older woman who had been sold it by the attendant at the cell phone store and she could not work it at all.

I tried to help her out but sheesh! That thing is way complicated. There is no way anyone but a business user with a lot of patience is going to like those things at all. It's certainly not a phone that you can just pick up and use. You will have to read the manual.

She had just left it on the defaults and everyone she had phoned with it created a new tile with that person's name on it. She already had like 50 tiles and had no idea what to do with them.

Despite being brand new it was pretty slow too. Giant pauses before anything happens that throw you off etc.