Steve Jobs' biological father wants to finally meet son

Comments

• Reply 21 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I also think that people who adopt their babies away are only one step above people who throw their babies in the trash can and they have zero right to ever meet their offspring which they abandoned.

dude, you're an ignorant hateful waste of sperm and egg.
  • Reply 22 of 147
    As an adopted adult, I can tell you, parents are the people who raised you, stayed up late with you and waiting for you to come home, cried for and with you, and loved you unconditionally.

Steve's biological parent may want to meet him, and that's all very nice. But that person is not his father. His father is the elder Mr. Jobs.
  • Reply 23 of 147
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Lots of a-holes on this board.

I am not sure how much of what he's saying is sincere, but my take is that he was more or less forced to give Steve up for adoption. And he fully acknowledges he is not his "dad" (beyond biological), not after his money, and just wants to have a cup of coffee.

Key quotes:

Quote:

"This might sound strange, though, but I am not prepared, even if either of us was on our deathbeds, to pick up the phone to call him... Steve will have to do that, as the Syrian pride in me does not want him ever to think I am after his fortune."

Quote:

"Without telling me, Joanne upped and left to move to San Francisco to have the baby without anyone knowing, including me... She did not want to bring shame onto the family and thought this was the best for everyone... I think after we got back together, Joanne had second thoughts about adoption, but by then, there was nothing we could do about it."

Quote:

Despite having remarried twice, he never had any more children, and believing he had failed with his first two, he simply was not meant to be a dad.

Quote:

"I can't remember exactly what I wrote in [birthday cards]... But I know they were very short and to the point. I would wish him 'Happy Birthday' and continued good health, and sign them with my name, and not 'dad.' "

He did it out of respect for the adoptive parents, he said.

"Because I really am not his dad. Mr. and Mrs. Jobs are, as they raised him. And I don't want to take their place. I just would like to get to know this amazing man I helped in a very small way to produce."

• Reply 24 of 147
    iguesssoiguessso Posts: 132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

... We have no way of knowing if Steve was raised by his biological parents if he would have been the creator of Apple. What influence and interest he may have pursued and we would literally be living in a different world now. I am not a fatalist but it is fascinating to think about decision we make sometime daily that have an impact on our lives and others.

Interesting episode on nature vs. nurture in the latest Freakonomics podcast. Nature wins in a lot of cases.
  • Reply 25 of 147
    I dont think its as easy as picking up the phone.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/03/02/news...une/index2.htm

According to this articale, he also left Joanna and Mona when she was 4 years old.

Mona also fictionalize her quest to find her father, in The Lost Father. So I am not sure how sincere he is either.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,309524,00.html

All her books are on iTunes.
  • Reply 26 of 147
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

According to this artical, he also left Joanna and Mona when she was 4 years old.

So the guy left Steve, Mona and their mother. Now it makes a little more sense why Steve wants nothing to do with him.
  • Reply 27 of 147
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by See Flat View Post

You obviously know nothing about adoption, and how, it is sometimes the right thing to do for the new born.

Of course I know nothing about adoption, I happen to be a good person, and I would never bring an unwanted child into the world.

I've been watching a few episodes of Meerkat Manor on Netflix recently, and some humans behave just like them.
  • Reply 28 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShaolinDave View Post

I beg to differ. As a matter of fact, I would claim that I am a better person than those who abandon their children.
  • Reply 29 of 147
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

I beg to differ. As a matter of fact, I would claim that I am a better person than those who abandon their children.

Why? You seem to lack compassion. Were you adopted? No? Then I suggest your observations are worth what we paid for them.
  • Reply 30 of 147
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    It's precisely these things that made Steve who he is today. If he had been a perfectly happy, well-balanced kid he never would have had the drive and desire to make something of himself. "Want" and "lack" are huge drivers of human achievement. I've never met a perfectionist or an achiever that was completely happy.
  • Reply 31 of 147
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I must be a precog of some sort because I got a strong feeling about Steve Jobs today with regards his biological father. For some weird reason it came into my head today that Steve Jobs unbelievable motivation actually comes from a deep-seeded need for his biological-father's attention. Call me crazy, but that's what happened and next thing - 8 hours later I'm reading this story. Wow!

I'm not being sarcastic either. Totally true story.
  • Reply 32 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I must be a precog of some sort because I got a strong feeling about Steve Jobs today with regards his biological father. For some weird reason it came into my head today that Steve Jobs unbelievable-motivation actually comes from a deep-seeded need for his biological father's attention. Call me crazy, but that's what happened and next this 8 hours later I'm reading this story. Wow!

Quick buy a lottery ticket!
  • Reply 33 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShaolinDave View Post

Please don't touch the zygote.
  • Reply 34 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

Why? You seem to lack compassion. Were you adopted? No? Then I suggest your observations are worth what we paid for them.

No, I'm not adopted. As for having compassion, I don't give it to those who don't deserve it. I don't have any compassion for people who abandoned their children. On the other hand, the children of course deserve compassion, as they had no say in the process. The parents, not so much.
  • Reply 35 of 147
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It's precisely these things that made Steve who he is today. If he had been a perfectly happy, well-balanced kid he never would have had the drive and desire to make something of himself. "Want" and "lack" are huge drivers of human achievement. I've never met a perfectionist or an achiever that was completely happy.

And then, I read your comment. Holy crap!
  • Reply 36 of 147
    Quote:

No, I'm not adopted. As for having compassion, I don't give it to those who don't deserve it. I don't have any compassion for people who abandoned their children. On the other hand, the children of course deserve compassion, as they had no say in the process. The parents, not so much.

Steve would not be Steve unless he had the upbringing he did. The hollowness and sense of being abandoned led him to be the ultra-achiever he became.
  • Reply 37 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

And then, I read your comment. Holy crap!

Double holy crap! I read your comment!
  • Reply 38 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Steve would not be Steve unless he had the upbringing he did. The hollowness and sense of being abandoned led him to be the ultra-achiever he became.

I can agree with that. Apple would not have become the Apple that we know today if things had taken a different turn.
  • Reply 39 of 147
    Quote:

I can agree with that. Apple would not have become the Apple that we know today if things had taken a different turn.

His knawing sense of dissatisfaction was to our benefit.

Let this be a lesson to all parents who want nothing more than to give their child everything. Give them nothing, let them struggle and they will make something of themselves. Happiness breeds complacency. Adversity breeds achievement.
  • Reply 40 of 147
    sipadansipadan Posts: 107member
    Am I the only here offended by the intrusion into Mr Jobs life and right to privacy? I mean come on! Don't you have anything better to write about AI? This is barely disguised trash journalism