Apple searching for another missing prototype left in SF bar

Comments

• Reply 21 of 155
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fjose1929 View Post

This is what happens when apple takes its time to release a product they are well prepared to have already launched.

How dare they do that to you¡

Quote:

I don't understand why apple cannot just come clean as to how well iphone and ipads are selling. Instead of downplaying their sales, I believe it is their fiduciary responsibility to update sales projections if they are greater than what they reported in the last Q report.

If only there was some quarterly report and maybe an earnings call where they declared to the 100th of a million how many iPhones and iPads they sold. Gee, that'd be swell.
  • Reply 22 of 155
    The original story on Cnet doesn't make a lot of sense. The entire story (and right now it sounds like a made up story) is attributed to "the source".

1) Cnet contacts SFPD and writes "A spokesman for the San Francisco Police Department said [Apple] did not file a police report". Then Cnet quotes "the source" and says "Apple representatives contacted San Francisco police, saying the device was priceless and the company was desperate to secure its safe return, the source said."

So, either the SFPD is lying to Cnet or "the source" is making it up.

2) "The source" said it was sold on eBay for $200? Now that's just ridiculous. Last year Giz paid $5,000 for a prototype iPhone. Most working iPhone 4's go for $300-$400+ on Craigslist. This anonymous source says a prototype went for $200? Do they think we're stupid? Well, obviously Cnet is, they published the fictional story.

3) Cnet says "Still unclear are details about the device, what version of the iOS operating system it was running, and what it looks like."

So, you're telling me this anonymous source knew which bar the phone was lost at, who's house the police supposedly went to, and how much it sold for on craigslist, but they couldn't describe what it looked like?

I'm sorry, but this story just doesn't add up. Cnet should be ashamed of itself for publishing such drivel. I feel stupider for having read the article. Might as well be in the national inquirer.
  • Reply 23 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

Apple should start requiring that only employees who do not drink should be given prototypes.

This is getting ridiculous.

It was a tequila bar of all places. I doubt the engineer remembered his name when he left the bar.
  • Reply 24 of 155
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Forget about carjacks, assaults, or missing children. This is important! Apple lost an iPhone.

Here's another one of those "if there's a more serious crime, let's stop investigating other crimes" argument. I think the SFPD are capable of investigating more than one crime at a time.
  • Reply 25 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How dare they do that you¡

If only there was some quarterly report and maybe an earnings call where they declared to the 100th of a million how many iPhones and iPads they sold. Gee, that'd be swell.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
  • Reply 26 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by csuess View Post

.. find my iPhone! \

They apparently did that and searched a residence but came up with nothing by the time the search was executed. It's also reported to be over a month ago so I have doubts they'll find it before the next special event.
  • Reply 27 of 155
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by udog View Post

So if it's a new prototype, and it's running iOS 5, how about a location-based reminder that alerts you to remember the device if you're XXX feet/miles/whatever away?

Oops, nevermind, that doesn't make sense...stupid brain...

Don't give Apple ideas. They may force their field testers to wear geofence collars (be it bluetooth, wifi or NFC) to determine if they are 5 ft away from the phone.
  • Reply 28 of 155
    Article on Cnet withdrawn. Wonder why ... Probably they just found it.
  • Reply 29 of 155
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    craigslist is blocked work here. Anyone do a search for an iphone for sale, in July in that area? Be interesting to see if the seller posted any pics.

(probably hundreds listed, so maybe not worth the effort)
  • Reply 30 of 155
    I can see upper Apple management, you know, Steve and his immediate circle

gathered around their 18 inch Magic Crystal Ball,

looking at all the Mere Mortals,

Giggling

• Reply 31 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Here's another one of those "if there's a more serious crime, let's stop investigating other crimes" argument. I think the SFPD are capable of investigating more than one crime at a time.

No crime was reported. If Apple didn't even file a lost property report, what crime was being investigated?
  • Reply 32 of 155
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Hmmm would it be to obvious to say Apple Engineers / Testers are 'holding it wrong'.
  • Reply 33 of 155
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:

They apparently did that and searched a residence but came up with nothing by the time the search was executed. It's also reported to be over a month ago so I have doubts they'll find it before the next special event.

So all this happened a month ago and we're just hearing about it now??? The whole iPhone 4 fiasco was known right away (like the next day) and Apple got it back by Monday. CNET has no information about the device at all and Apple hasn't even contact the Police and filed a report??? Something is rotten here.
  • Reply 34 of 155
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Quote:

It would be very interesting if it was corporate espionage.
  • Reply 35 of 155

"Andre... you've lost another submarine?"
  • Reply 36 of 155
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    wait. i go to bars in san francisco. where do i apply? (hell, i'd even go to a bar in redwood city if it would score points with apple.)
  • Reply 37 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diddy View Post

So all this happened a month ago and we're just hearing about it now??? The whole iPhone 4 fiasco was known right away (like the next day) and Apple got it back by Monday. CNET has no information about the device at all and Apple hasn't even contact the Police and filed a report??? Something is rotten here.

Vatdoro makes some good points a few posts up. This story doesn't really make much sense.
  • Reply 38 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

It would be very interesting if it was corporate espionage.

No reason to think it was.

I hope the same people from last year don't start crawling out and emphatically claiming it was corporate espionage. They were so certain that someone had paid the finder to stalk the Apple employee, looking for the time to strike and steal the prototype.
  • Reply 39 of 155
    owen35owen35 Posts: 15member
    And in a related note, Steve Jobs has requested that he return as CEO to personally belittle, terrorize, and fire the "moron" who left the phone in the bar. Go, Steve!
  • Reply 39 of 155
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:

Vatdoro makes some good points a few posts up. It doesn't really make much sense.

I know - I mentioned one or two of them in passing.