Apple searching for another missing prototype left in SF bar

Comments

• Reply 81 of 155
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Forget about carjacks, assaults, or missing children. This is important! Apple lost an iPhone.

Well...It is "Priceless" after all. Screw you Apple. The police shouldn't be involved in the search of a single phone, prototype or not.
  • Reply 82 of 155
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

The police are wasting their time looking for a phone... Must be a slow month for actual crime.

This guy allowed them to search his house? I'd go along, sure, after they provide PC and a judge to sign off on it. Oh wait, this is the Post-PC world so we can forget about due process.

I also would have told the police to take a hike unless they had a warrant.
  • Reply 83 of 155
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Jesus, this is quite a screw-up. How many people do they have to fire before they can get rid of the careless drunks from their payrolls?

OR this is someone BS bit of fun to make Apple look bad, reprinted by hit whore websites that know that the only thing that gets more return than an article about Apple is a negative article about Apple.
  • Reply 84 of 155
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Comments regarding drinking are silly here. There's probably some kind of protocol that was violated related to taking sensitive property such as a product prototype off site. Whether they frequent bars or not I can't imagine it's normal for employees to casually carry something like this around with them.

They test them off-site. They will have rules and regs as to who, how, where and when, but Apple staff do take them out. Limiting testing to on campus only would be effectively no testing at all.
  • Reply 85 of 155
    This guy walks into a pub with his prototype iphone 5 and the barman says..................

Is it me or is there a joke in there somewhere?
  • Reply 86 of 155
    welcome to Apple's new Alternate Reality iPhone game!
  • Reply 87 of 155
    Why doesn't Apple "false flag" their prototypes and use Android device cases?

Something that looks like a dead Android ("It's the new iPhone! Really! Trust me!") isn't gonna have much black market value anywhere.
  • Reply 88 of 155
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vatdoro View Post

The original story on Cnet doesn't make a lot of sense. The entire story (and right now it sounds like a made up story) is attributed to "the source".

Most likely

Quote:

1) Cnet contacts SFPD and writes "A spokesman for the San Francisco Police Department said

I can't see any police department giving a comment to any reporter. Particularly when it is Apple who would probably sue given that this could likely be considered an ongoing investigation

Quote:

2) "The source" said it was sold on eBay for $200?

After last year no one would be nuts enough to even try it since it would be a big flashing arrow saying 'stolen goods here'. Remember in Cali if you find something and don't return it, you stole it.

Quote:

3) Cnet says "Still unclear are details about the device, what version of the iOS operating system it was running, and what it looks like."

So, you're telling me this anonymous source knew which bar the phone was lost at, who's house the police supposedly went to, and how much it sold for on craigslist, but they couldn't describe what it looked like?

yep. That is the big fishy part of it all. That no one turned up details. If someone really got a prototype they would have spread it all over dozens of sites claiming to be scores of different sources.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WardC View Post

This is a good point. Apple developers should NOT be able to take these prototypes into public places like bars, I think they should only be used within the Apple campus and not allowed outside

if they did that then the phones would be potentially release even worse working than the .1% of folks that had issues last summer because they can't replicate real world situations in a lab as well as just being in the real world
  • Reply 89 of 155
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

BS - I'm not expecting a Pulitzer. If you want to spend your time reading National Enquirer, be my guest.

If you want to read better material, go elsewhere. The irony of returning to a pub to complain about the beer is kind of obvious, isn't it?
  • Reply 90 of 155
    What a crappy society we live in where no one return what does not belong to them and always try to make a buck on everything...
  • Reply 91 of 155
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i'd take it with the plan to return but ONLY to SJ and shake his hand firmly

"thank you for a spectacular-GENERATION"

i'd keep the secret till after the official release and then post my story

that handshake would be worth more than 10k to me my family and fellow mac friends.
  • Reply 92 of 155
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    I wonder how much time it was between it being lost and them showing up at the house. Had it been sold before they showed up? If not and it the guy they spoke to had it, he was pretty dumb to turn down their offer. They probably offered a pretty nice amount which he probably wouldn't be able to get from another party (maybe Samsung or google), especially not on craigslist.
  • Reply 93 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GalaxyTab View Post

For such a secretive ....

You know who to call ...

Ghostbusters?
  • Reply 94 of 155
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

I hope it wasn't the same person who lost the iPhone 4...

LMFAO!
  • Reply 95 of 155
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

"Andre... you've lost another submarine?"

That's exactly what I thought of!
  • Reply 96 of 155
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GavinScrimgeour View Post

This guy walks into a pub with his prototype iphone 5 and the barman says..................

Is it me or is there a joke in there somewhere?

A Priest, Jesus, and an Apple engineer walk into a bar...

Jesus steps up to the bar and asks, "Can I have a wine glass full of water?

The bartender looks at Jesus and says, "Sure thing... Hey! Aren't you Steve Jobs?"

Let's see where this goes.
  • Reply 97 of 155
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

I wonder how much time it was between it being lost and them showing up at the house. Had it been sold before they showed up? If not and it the guy they spoke to had it, he was pretty dumb to turn down their offer. They probably offered a pretty nice amount which he probably wouldn't be able to get from another party (maybe Samsung or google), especially not on craigslist.

Clearly an Android user not familiar with the free Find My iPhone feature.
  • Reply 98 of 155
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Forget about carjacks, assaults, or missing children. This is important! Apple lost an iPhone.

Yet again.
  • Reply 99 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roktheworld27 View Post

So this is what, the 2nd prototype Apple's trying to get back? Is it me or has Apple lost that level of secrecy?

No its most DEFINATELY YOU!!!!!!

This story is not even confirmed yet so how could Apple have lost anything?

Let alone its secrecy
  • Reply 100 of 155
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

What a crappy society we live in where no one return what does not belong to them and always try to make a buck on everything...

It's been happening since the beginning of mankind, if you're a U.S. citizen, you're on stolen land.