Steve Jobs' biological father wants to finally meet son

Comments

• Reply 121 of 147
    suzsuz Posts: 2member
    Probably - better than having this egotist for a major influence in your life.
  • Reply 122 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Towel heads?

Really? So pray tell what race is discriminated against here...

Learn the meaning of a word before you use it. This (ab)use only demonstrates your ignorance.

Towelheads is just as 'racist' as 'suits'.
  • Reply 123 of 147
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"This might sound strange, though, but I am not prepared, even if either of us was on our deathbeds, to pick up the phone to call him," he said. "Steve will have to do that, as the Syrian pride in me does not want him ever to think I am after his fortune."

And yet Syrian pride doesn't stop him from using his biological connection to this famous person to get 15 minutes of fame by name dropping etc.

I won't be shocked if Steve doesn't pick up the phone first.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Banalltv View Post

That's a sad story, all of it.

Pride won't be any consolation when it's too late. Make an effort.

I don't see what is so sad about it at all. He allowed his son to be adopted and apparently didn't put up a fight. He allowed someone else's racism to control the situation. He has gone 56 years in another life with another family etc. He doesn't know Steve, Steve doesn't know him. Steve has wonderful loving parents that raised him, what does it matter if Steve never has coffee with this DNA donor.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I also think that people who adopt their babies away are only one step above people who throw their babies in the trash can and they have zero right to ever meet their offspring which they abandoned.

People who put up their kids for adoption are many miles above those that just toss a kid in the trash. Trashers are too worried about themselves, their lives, their rep etc to put value on any life but their own. Thus the trash can.

People who adopt might be worked about their rep etc but they still have some notion that all life is valuable.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

What makes you think he has his phone number? Perhaps that is why he is waiting for Jobs to call him...

He could have gotten the number. Called Apple Corp any time in the last how many years and left his number and asked Steve to call him

And regardless, the guy said he wouldn't make the first move because he feels to do so would come off like he was chasing money.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

but my take is that he was more or less forced to give Steve up for adoption.

Only by his pride, which wouldn't let him marry the mother when her father was all 'hell no'. If he had put his unborn child before himself, he might have gone to the girl and convinced her to marry him anyway.

Then again, this 'gentleman' apparently walked out on his wife and daughter a few years later. Which if true loses him a lot of sympathy points.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Steve would not be Steve unless he had the upbringing he did. The hollowness and sense of being abandoned led him to be the ultra-achiever he became.

And when exactly did he say that. Full quote with citation please. Otherwise you are just putting potentially 100% erroneous words and feelings in Steve's mouth.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I'm glad he didn't raise Steve because there would have been no Apple Computer.

This makes me laugh off my ass off. Apple Computers could still have happened because it came from Steve being curious about computers. Something that could have happened even if his name was Sargon Jandali and not Steve Jobs. It might not have looked exactly the same but it still could have happened. Who knows, maybe Sargon Jandali wouldn't have gotten kicked to the curb by the rest of the company and we might have had the iPhone 5 years earlier than we got it.
  • Reply 124 of 147
    sipsip Posts: 210member
    A fair percentage of problems in this world stem from humans agonising over less than useful "WHAT IF" scenarios.

Before Mr & Mrs Jobs adopted Steve, another set of highly educated parents agreed to adopt him then backed out. Along came not so educated Mr & Mrs Jobs who promised to send Steve to college & university (apparently, Steve's mother insisted on a written undertaking), save up all their lives, then Steve decides to drop-out of higher education.

Now, discuss: What would have happened to Steve if the first couple had adopted him? See where this is going? Life isn't a mathematics equation -- life is unpredictable and sometimes bad things happen (like people inadvertently blowing themselves up mixing chemicals, etc).
  • Reply 125 of 147
    Seems like a nice enough guy. The real tragedy is that the couple felt they had to disown their baby because of the opinions of family. I hope I would not make such a decision but I can't put myself into their shoes 56 years ago.

I think he's taking the right approach. It really should be up to the child if they want to make contact -- fortunes notwithstanding.
  • Reply 126 of 147
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

I beg to differ. As a matter of fact, I would claim that I am a better person than those who abandon their children.

Abandoning a child means you leave the child in the street or in a police station and split. Putting your child up for adoption and finding a loving home for your child when you know you can't raise it yourself is usually a difficult, selfless and giving act.

Which do you think is better for the child? Living with a parent who is unable to raise the child and therefore may be subject to either incredibly poor and possibly dangerous living conditions or living with an adopted parent who loves the child? And maybe they love that child even more than a biological parent because they had to do more than the usual to have that child.

IMO, you're far too judgemental to be a "better person" of any sort.
  • Reply 127 of 147
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grrey View Post

The possessive form of Steve's last name is "Jobs's" not "Jobs'" ? and true for any singular noun ending is "s".

Think it doesn't matter? Say "nuclear" for me.

Not for ANY singular noun. It depends upon how it's pronounced according to this rule:
    Quote:

We're left with the final case: a singular noun ending in "s". Some sources indicate that proper nouns take only an apostrophe and all others take the full 's. Other sources say that only "historical" proper nouns use the apostrophe and all others take the full 's. Some sources even state the dubious rule that all singular nouns ending in "s" take the full 's.

The best rule (the one that most closely resembles current usage and (correct) historical usage) is the following:

4. A singular noun ending is "s" take either an apostrophe or the full 's depending on whether we pronounce the word with an added syllable or not.

For example, we say Chris-ess house (Chris's house). We pronounce the extra syllable, so we write the full 's.

But, we say Achilles- heel (Achilles' heel). We do not pronounce the extra syllable, so we write only an apostrophe.

• Reply 128 of 147
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Seems like there are many trolls working overtime here.

It is clear that his biological father's desire to meet him is sincere, and that his pride is there EXACTLY to avoid comments implying that he is only reaching out now because of money.

Moreover, the guy is not some foodstamp bum - he has a very good job and doesn't need money for that matter; he clearly sees that his biological son is slipping away very soon, so this would at least be a chance to mend wounds, ask for forgiveness and get some closure.

After all, compassion, love and family are all that matters when the going gets rough. And I am pretty sure SJ would not be against that possibility.
  • Reply 129 of 147
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Or maybe say - "Corpsman", that's a better test.
  • Reply 130 of 147
    shawnbshawnb Posts: 155member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Seems like there are many trolls working overtime here.

It is clear that his biological father's desire to meet him is sincere, and that his pride is there EXACTLY to avoid comments implying that he is only reaching out now because of money.

Moreover, the guy is not some foodstamp bum - he has a very good job and doesn't need money for that matter; he clearly sees that his biological son is slipping away very soon, so this would at least be a chance to mend wounds, ask for forgiveness and get some closure.

After all, compassion, love and family are all that matters when the going gets rough. And I am pretty sure SJ would not be against that possibility.

You must be reading different articles than the rest of us, based on your sure-thing conclusions. I was reading about some d-bag who abandoned his "family" twice in order to do his own thing, which ended up being a crock professor and a restaurant manager.

It's pretty hard when you have a 50+ year track record of being a self-absorbed narcissist to have your nostalgic notions taken seriously. And for someone who's spent decades finding their own peace and moving past old wounds, there is little value in bringing back potentially and historically destructive forces back into the picture.
  • Reply 131 of 147
    It's all up to Steve...whatever he decides. Not mine, not ours, and not this man who abandoned him for so many years. I'll keep concentrating on positive thoughts for Steve and his health.
  • Reply 132 of 147
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jca666us View Post

If Steve hadn't been raised by Mr. & Mrs. Jobs, Steve Jandali would have ended up being a cab driver for a living, or working for a 7-11

Yeah, because his biological dad is such a total failure.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parttimer View Post

Really? So pray tell what race is discriminated against here.

Well, you answered that yourself when you said, "A-rabs."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Not for ANY singular noun. It depends upon how it's pronounced according to this rule:

Thank you.
  • Reply 133 of 147
    Quote:

Or maybe say - "Corpsman", that's a better test.

you seem to have stopped trying to force your stupid ideas (in my view if you can't tell ZZZ) on people.

If you want to just add random quotes please just leave.

thank you
  • Reply 134 of 147
    Quote:

Sounds like a pathetic person. It is the father who should reach out to the son and not the other way around.

I also think that people who adopt their babies away are only one step above people who throw their babies in the trash can and they have zero right to ever meet their offspring which they abandoned.

Really. Some times parents do have to give up their children and sometimes not always because they want to. To compare this to attempted murder is borderline insanity. This is a perfect example of people not reading what they type or text before sending. You are truly a frigging idiot.
  • Reply 135 of 147
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nicolbolas View Post

you seem to have stopped trying to force your stupid ideas (in my view if you can't tell ZZZ) on people.

If you want to just add random quotes please just leave.

thank you

My quote was obviously way above your head, because it was directly related to the quote that the other person made. Hint: it's not a random quote.

And I'm not trying to force my ideas on anybody. I have my views and I'm not afraid of standing by them. If other people wish to celebrate and make excuses for bad parents, then that's their problem.
  • Reply 136 of 147
    Quote:

Sounds like a pathetic person. It is the father who should reach out to the son and not the other way around.

After read your post, I was reminded that a snake's blood runs cold.
  • Reply 137 of 147
    I think the fact that his biological father left Steve's birth mother and little sister after 4 years of marriage says a lot about the guy.

I am not surprised in the least that Steve seems to want nothing to do with him.

Hilarious parody Tallest Skil btw - thanks
  • Reply 138 of 147
    Can we try and stay away from other people's personal lives?
  • Reply 139 of 147
    Quote:

The possessive form of Steve's last name is "Jobs's" not "Jobs'" — and true for any singular noun ending is "s".

Isn't it Jobs' not Jobs's? I learnt not to add another s if there was one already there... You just put an apostrophe after the single s. Though this is for British English, not sure about 'Merican.

Edit: Pipped by zoetmb
  • Reply 140 of 147
    Quote:

The possessive form of Steve's last name is "Jobs's" not "Jobs'" ? and true for any singular noun ending is "s".

thank you!