Next-gen iPod touch part again suggests Apple to build white model

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Yet another white iPod touch part has been revealed, offering further evidence that Apple plans to offer its portable media player in two colors with an refresh this year.

The latest component is a headphone jack available for sale by Luna Commerce, and discovered by Macotakara. The part is described as an earphone jack for an unreleased fifth-generation iPod touch.

The headphone jack is slanted, which would allow for a curved side like is found on the current iPod touch. Purported next-generation iPhone headphone jacks leaked last month, meanwhile, were circular and flat, suggesting the handset will retain a design similar to the current iPhone 4.

Luna Commerce has also sold white parts for a so-called "iPhone 4S" yet to be released by Apple. The parts supplier has offered for sale a white repair digitizer for the rumored handset.

AppleInsider was first to report in July that Apple is working on a white version of the iPod touch. Concord Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo claimed the next-generation model will sport few, if any, distinguishable changes from the fourth-generation black models.

Kuo suggested that the iPod touch would not receive a "spec update" this year because Apple is prioritizing supplies of the A5 processor and other components for the iPhone and iPad. Supply and manufacturing constraints have left Apple struggling to keep up with iPhone 4 and iPad 2 demand.

The later-than-usual launch of a fifth-generation iPhone could also be a factor in any next-generation iPod touch upgrades. The arrival of an "iPhone 5" this fall will overshadow any iPod touch release, and Apple is believed to be stockpiling supplies in an effort to meet demand for its next iPhone.

More evidence of a white iPod touch surfaced just days ago, when a white LCD front panel and digitizer were pictured online. The alleged part did not show any major changes to the device.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Wow that's a shock

Now if there were a red one with yellow spots that would be news. I take that back, no one would believe it ... a brown one maybe... nah!
  • Reply 2 of 19
    So what? White plastic is a big deal to apple fans?
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Damn, I hope the Touch will get the dual core A5 and not the same one again. Also, it would suck to have the same tapered stainless steel design. Awkward and slippery to grip at times, and a tendency to magically attract fingerprints and scratches even when placed on a smooth surface. The shiny metal conveniently doubles as a mirror though.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    801801 Posts: 271member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

So what? White plastic is a big deal to apple fans?

White appears to be the color of choice in Asia, particularly China.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    These posts are killing me. I have been waiting for more than 4 months to get a new phone. Fingers crossed for iPhone 5 getting 4 inch screen! I hope that all those reports that indicated "old" form factor will show false.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:

I have been waiting for more than 4 months to get a new phone.

And I've been waiting six years. Personal choice, but nonetheless. You think these reports don't kill me?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by uncore View Post

Fingers crossed for iPhone 5 getting 4 inch screen!

Could one of you people please explain to me what a 4" screen does for the iPhone that isn't absolutely terrible?
  • Reply 7 of 19
    I hope they surprise us with an iPod Nano update that includes bluetooth for connectivity with an iPhone...
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rothgarr View Post

I hope they surprise us with an iPod Nano update that includes bluetooth for connectivity with an iPhone...

What's the point of that?
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What's the point of that?

When your phone rings or you get an SMS or Twitter/Facebook update you can see who's calling/preview the message on your Nano if you wear it rather than having to take your phone out of your pocket, backpack, briefcase, purse, etc.

I have this LunaTik (http://lunatik.com/lunatik) to wear my Nano like a watch and I can't imagine how much better it would be if the Nano worked like the Sony Ericsson Liveview (http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/prod...?cc=gb&lc=en#a)
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rothgarr View Post

When your phone rings or you get an SMS or Twitter/Facebook update you can see who's calling/preview the message on your Nano if you wear it rather than having to take your phone out of your pocket, backpack, briefcase, purse, etc.

OOH. I like that idea. I'd buy a new nano just for that, and I'm sure many others would, too.

'Course then I'd need my iPhone to actually have service?
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Yes, we KNOW they're building a white one. We're also fairly certain that apple's not going to invest it's entire future in printers. Can we please stop reporting on this now?
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teejaysplace24 View Post

Yes, we KNOW they're building a white one.

How do we "know" they're building a white iPod touch? We've never had a white iPod touch, nor have we ever had any indication of any generation being white.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    We don't know for certain (just like any other rumor here).

What we do know is that Apple sells white iPhones and the white model is in very high demand in certain markets (e.g., China). While Apple typically doesn't use market studies to determine their product roadmap, there is plenty of industry data demonstrating that certain markets highly value white consumer electronics (Southeast Asia, Europe).

We also know that Apple has enjoyed moderate success in selling white iPods of other types, so presumably they could predict the relative popularity of a white iPod touch.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Chant; "Bigger screen. Bigger screen. Bigger screen...." If the iPod Touch could run Garageband it would be what I want. Since the iPod Touch is considered a gaming machine by so many people, a bigger screen would seem to be an upgrade that is due by now.

What would Apple do if there are no upgrades to any of their music devices? Would they just skip mentioning them at the next event? Would Apple ever just skip having product launch events? Sometimes they just upgrade things and post them on their web site. What is their criteria for having a product launch event?
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Apple periodically releases new products without live announcements. The new products simply appear at Apple.com and there's usually a press release as well.

Apple's live events typically focus on a few products and often there are others that are simultaneously released that get no mention during the presentation.

We don't know exactly what Apple's criteria is for conducting a live event. However, having watched Apple for many, many years, it is clear that they prioritize the live events for things like major product redesigns. If it's just a spec bump, there is usually no live event. Also, it appears that the iPhone will have a live event for the foreseeable future, probably be that's Apple's cash cow. Also, Apple has live events for major operating system updates (OS X and iOS).

I doubt if Apple would ever quit hosting live events. They get so much publicity for relatively little cost; they're much cheaper than attending tradeshows where the attention is severely fragmented. The point is striking a balance by reserving live events for impactful announcements.

As far as I can tell, Apple management is masterful at determining which announcement deserve live events. Maybe some of it is common sense, but guided by the wisdom of successful senior managers who have worked twenty, thirty, forty years in the high-tech industry. I wouldn't expect some snot-nosed twentysomething whose diploma's ink is still wet to make such wise choices.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

Chant; "Bigger screen. Bigger screen. Bigger screen...." If the iPod Touch could run Garageband it would be what I want. Since the iPod Touch is considered a gaming machine by so many people, a bigger screen would seem to be an upgrade that is due by now.

Come off it…

Quote:

What would Apple do if there are no upgrades to any of their music devices?

Have been bankrupt for decades in a post-apocalyptic world…

Quote:

Would Apple ever just skip having product launch events?

Only under the previously stated condition, I think.

Quote:

Sometimes they just upgrade things and post them on their web site.

Which has never been the case with the iPod family.

Quote:

What is their criteria for having a product launch event?

Code:

if (days_since_update > 365 && month == "September")

iPod_event = TRUE;

• Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Code:

if (days_since_update > 365 && month == "September")

iPod_event = TRUE;

Which is equivalent to

Code:

If (month == "September" && year >= 2007)

iPod_event = TRUE;

;-)
  • Reply 18 of 19
    lvidallvidal Posts: 158member
    It isn't a white iPod Touch. It is the new iPhone low cost. It is a perfect move to convert the iPod Touch to an iPhone without a contract for about $200-$300. For Apple to convert the Touch into an iPhone and maintain the same price isn't a problem at all. In fact the Touch is a waste of technology, they must at least add 3G for use it as a VoIP device.

I think that's the right move for Apple now that Google has acquire Motorola and certainly the Android devices are in some way a good competition.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lvidal View Post

It is the new iPhone low cost.

Get over it. There was never an iPhone nano and there will never be a "low-cost" iPhone.

The low-cost model is the iPhone 4 once the iPhone 5 comes out. Just like the 3GS is for the 4 and the 3G was for the 3GS.

Quote:

It is a perfect move to convert the iPod Touch to an iPhone without a contract for about $200-$300.

No, it's a terrible move.

Quote:

For Apple to convert the Touch into an iPhone and maintain the same price isn't a problem at all.

Except no one who wants a touch wants to pay monthly for cell phone service.

Quote:

In fact the Touch is a waste of technology

Quote:

they must at least add 3G for use it as a VoIP device.

The telecoms would NEVER allow that.

Quote:

the Android devices are in some way a good competition.

Not really.