iTunes chief Eddy Cue promoted to Apple senior VP, will oversee iAds

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Following the departure of former Chief Executive Steve Jobs, Apple's executive shakeup continues, with iTunes chief Eddy Cue taking on the role of senior vice president, Internet Software & Services.

The change in leadership was revealed by Apple on Thursday in an update to its executive biographies website. The new profile of Cue notes that as senior vice president, he reports directly to Chief Executive Tim Cook.

"Eddy oversees Apple's industry-leading content stores including the iTunes Store, the revolutionary App Store and the iBookstore, as well as iAd and Apple's innovative iCloud services," the bio reads.

The promotion fills a vacancy left in August, when Andy Miller, formerly vice president of mobile advertising at Apple, left the company to join a venture capital firm. In his new position, Cue will oversee Apple's iAd mobile advertising network, found in native applications for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.

As the head of Apple's iTunes division, Cue's previous title at the company was vice president of Internet Services. His new, expanded role brings Apple's other online services under his control.

Cue has worked at Apple for 22 years and helped to create the first version of the company's online store back in 1998. He also had a hand in building the iTunes Music Store, which launched in 2003, and the App Store, which debuted on the iPhone in 2008.

"He also played a key role in developing Apple's award-winning iLife suite of applications," Apple's description notes. "In his years at Apple, he was a successful manager of software engineering and customer support teams."

Cue had already taken a more visible role for Apple earlier this year, when he was on hand with News Corporation CEO Rupert Murdoch to unveil The Daily, a tablet-only digital newspaper that debuted on the iPad. He was also said to be personally involved in negotiations for licensing agreements for iCloud music services, flying to New York to finalize deals with record labels.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    The way the headline reads it sounds as if iAd is the only thing on his plate. If that were the case then I'd say he's on his way out... but iAds is only a small part of his portfolio.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Bad hairpiece!
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Congrats Eddie!
  • Reply 4 of 14
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I hope he can turn iAd around. iAd and Ping need to either improve drastically or just go away. As I said many times before I only see test ads in iAd boxes.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    What's more interesting to me is the position rather than the person (not that he's an uninteresting person -- he might be super-awesome, I just don't know much about him). The fact that they are creating this position at the SVP level means that they see iCloud and related stuff as being on the same level of importance to the firm as the other things that are at the SVP level.

In other words, iCloud is not going to be another mobileMe in terms of the attention it receives from senior management. Apple now sees this as something that is of vital strategic importance, not a sideshow hobby (which is what mobileMe always felt like).
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Eddy is one of Apple's unsung heroes. It is nice to see talented people getting promoted and getting more of an opportunity to lead Apple during the post-Steve era.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    modemode Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I hope he can turn iAd around. iAd and Ping need to either improve drastically or just go away. As I said many times before I only see test ads in iAd boxes.

Cut the price by 7000% and let advertisers advertise their products/services without Apples censorship. Then remove the laughably absurd 30% Apple tax.

Then, and only then, might companies look at iAd as a good investment. As it stands right now, it's the biggest joke in advertising history.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    Now all we need is a SVP for Mobile Hardware, and a SVP for OS X. And that completes the whole set.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

The fact that they are creating this position at the SVP level means that they see iCloud and related stuff as being on the same level of importance to the firm as the other things that are at the SVP level.

Indeed...which, hopefully, translates into more exciting products in the pipeline. (good comment!)
  • Reply 10 of 14
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode View Post

Cut the price by 7000% and let advertisers advertise their products/services without Apples censorship. Then remove the laughably absurd 30% Apple tax.

Then, and only then, might companies look at iAd as a good investment. As it stands right now, it's the biggest joke in advertising history.

Cut price by 7000%? So you want Apple to pay each advertiser 70 million dollar (or 35 million if go by the later reduced price) for placing ads through iAd? sure they would get a lot of advertisers, but what the point?

Also, what the heck does the 30% charge on Apps and subscriptions has to do with iAd?
  • Reply 11 of 14
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrFreeman View Post

Indeed...which, hopefully, translates into more exciting products in the pipeline. (good comment!)

thanks
  • Reply 12 of 14
    iAds, huh? Seems a bit like the captain of the Titanic promoting the 2nd mate a few minutes after they hit the iceberg. Good luck with that Eddie.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

iAds, huh? Seems a bit like the captain of the Titanic promoting the 2nd mate a few minutes after they hit the iceberg. Good luck with that Eddie.

I hope Apple isn't the Titanic...
  • Reply 14 of 14
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    New CEOs always change things up a bit shortly after coming to power. I wonder if making Internet Services an SVP position indicates the importance Cook places on iCloud. That worries me a bit because Jobs was always a product guy, with services existing merely to sell more products. I also have my doubts whether iCloud will be successful, Apple does not have a good track record in Internet services.