Storage of Fresh Fruits (and Veggies, too!)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I know that some fruits and vegetables should be (or can be) refrigerated, and that some (tomatoes, and bananas, for example) shouldn't be. But how does one tell the difference? Anyone know of an easy way to tell the refrigeratable from the unrefrigeratable? Or perhaps a site that'll tell me?

Thanks in advance.

[ 08-18-2002: Message edited by: Stroszek ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I'm assuming that since you're asking this you live in your own place, and I'm going to infer from that fact that you probably do your own shopping too

In this case, do what I do...

when you go to the grocery store, make a note of the environment the fruits and veggies you are purchasing are in. For example, I notice that the onions are not kept cold, so I do not keep mine cold. My refridgerator does have this special little drawer thingy that says it houses veggies and stuff, so toss the cold ones I got at the grocery store in there.

I eventually came to not enjoy this method, and reverted to the old tried and true one...

"Dad, yeah, it's me..... your son. Yeah, I had a question..."

• Reply 2 of 11
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    [quote]Originally posted by Stroszek:

<strong>I know that some fruits and vegetables should be (or can be) refrigerated, and that some (tomatoes, and bananas, for example) shouldn't be.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You don't need to refrigerate banannas but I never heard that they shouldn't be. Hmmm. I always put mine in the fridge because they last longer. Tomatos I've always kept in the fridge. Same with onions.

I really don't think its matters as long as you don't freeze them. If your fridge is kept at a normal temp all your fruits and veggies will keep for a long time. If you're cooking them anyway, it really shouldn't matter.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Never, ever keep bananas and tomatoes together. The bananas make the tomatoes go off.

I don't know why.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    [quote]Originally posted by Hassan i-Sabbah:

<strong>Never, ever keep bananas and tomatoes together. The bananas make the tomatoes go off.

I don't know why.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I believe bananas give off a gas as they ripen, which can help other fruits to ripen. If those other fruits are already ripe, it can cause them to over ripen and go off.

BTW, technically, a banana is a herb, not a fruit, as it doesn't contain the seeds/pips/stones etc needed to generate a new plant (these are elsewhere on the banana plant, not the little black bits in the banana itself).
  • Reply 5 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by RodUK:

<strong>

I believe bananas give off a gas as they ripen, which can help other fruits to ripen. If those other fruits are already ripe, it can cause them to over ripen and go off.

BTW, technically, a banana is a herb, not a fruit, as it doesn't contain the seeds/pips/stones etc needed to generate a new plant (these are elsewhere on the banana plant, not the little black bits in the banana itself).</strong><hr></blockquote>

A greengrocer told me that you could get an avocado to ripen quickly by leaving it bananas, now I think about it.

What a useful herb.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by RodUK:

<strong>

BTW, technically, a banana is a herb, not a fruit, as it doesn't contain the seeds/pips/stones etc needed to generate a new plant (these are elsewhere on the banana plant, not the little black bits in the banana itself).</strong><hr></blockquote>

Technically, a banana is the fruit of the banana plant (an herbaceous plant, or herb). The little black bits are seeds, but are sterile in commercial banana varieties.

A little light pedantry to while away a hot afternoon at the office .
  • Reply 7 of 11
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I asked my wife this question - she's a professional (a registered dietitian).

It's pretty complicated - some fruits, like peaches, will keep ripening if left out, but will slow down if in the fridge. So it depends on how sweet you want them. But other things, like potatoes, will sweeten more while in the fridge.

Also, onions won't hurt your eyes as much if you refrigerate them.

And other things should be kept somewhere between room and fridge temp, so you don't know where to keep them.

So I guess there is no easy rule of thumb.

She also said a banana is a fruit, not an herb. But we didn't go into it.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Willoughby:

<strong>

You don't need to refrigerate banannas but I never heard that they shouldn't be.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Don't make fun of me, but I took a class back when I was still in school called Home Horticulture. Our professor tended to ramble a lot and was often off topic. I remember him saying that bananas should not be refrigerated and that some other fruits shouldn't be either. I think it had something to do with the environment the fruit was grown in as to whether it should be, but of course, this helpful tidbit did not make it into my notes.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    [quote]Originally posted by Stroszek:

<strong>

Don't make fun of me, but I took a class back when I was still in school called Home Horticulture. Our professor tended to ramble a lot and was often off topic. I remember him saying that bananas should not be refrigerated and that some other fruits shouldn't be either. I think it had something to do with the environment the fruit was grown in as to whether it should be, but of course, this helpful tidbit did not make it into my notes. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Interesting, I wonder what he meant by "shouldn't". Does it just make them ripen quicker or does it somehow lose some of its nutrients. Maybe he just didn't like them cold

mmmmm frozen banannas
  • Reply 10 of 11
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    Bananas get over-ripe fast in the icebox. They will turn black in days. Great if you want to make banana bread, but not so great to eat.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    stroszekstroszek Posts: 801member
    If any of you are interested, I found the answer to my question: <a href="http://www.aboutproduce.com/"; target="_blank">AboutProduce.com</a>

Clicking on the "Produce A-Z" tab will allow you to choose a product and the site will give you storage and selection tips, the nutrition facts, and recipies. It's a quite informative site.