Parallels Desktop 7 upgrade available now, with Mac OS X Lion hosting, integration

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
A new Parallels Desktop 7 adds faster performance and new support for Mac OS X Lion, including Windows integration of apps in Launchpad and windows in Mission Control and the ability to run an instance of Lion within Lion itself.

The new version, which will sell for $79.99 in its standard version, $49.99 as an upgrade to existing Desktop 5 or 6 users, or $39.99 in a student edition, will enter the retail channel September 6.

However, upgrades for existing users became available for immediate purchase and download this afternoon.

Virtual Lion

The new update allows users to share iSight or FaceTime HD cameras between Mac and Windows apps, and adds the ability to run Mac OS X Lion as a guest OS. This summer, Apple relaxed its licensing for Mac OS X to allow Lion users to run up to two instances of the client OS on any Mac.

Previously, Apple only allowed Mac OS X Server to run in virtualization, and required that each virtual instance use a different license.

Beginning with Lion and the availability of Mac OS X through the Mac App Store, Server is now an application package that is hosted on Mac OS X Lion, and neither purchase uses serial numbers.

The Mac OS X Lion end user license agreement now states users may "install, use and run up to two (2) additional copies or instances of the Apple Software within virtual operating system environments on each Mac Computer you own or control that is already running the Apple Software," something virtualization tools can now take advantage of to offer the ability to host Lion as a guest OS.

Additional new features

Among a list of 90 other enhancements, Parallels Desktop 7 can also take advantage of 1 GB of video RAM to accommodate high resolutions and color depth.

Parallels says graphics performance is up to 45 percent faster in 3D operations, and Windows start, stop and resume features are as much as 60 percent faster than previous versions. The company also claims that copy operations within Windows are now 120 percent as fast as its competitor's product.

A new Parallels Mobile app for iOS allows iPad, iPhone and iPod touch users to interact and control their Mac or Windows desktop guest OS instances, remotely (over WiFi or mobile) start or stop apps, play back music and audio remotely, and copy and paste data between their mobile device and Windows programs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    Looks nice, however I think that I will stick with VirtualBox. For the few times that I need Windows it works just fine, especially for the price!
  • Reply 2 of 42
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Been virtualizing Lion with VMware since Beta Lion days. I gave up on Parallels a long time ago, VMware seems way more solid and less expensive in the long run.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    not sure I need that - running Lion client within a server install or Lion server within a Lion client I can see - or perhaps running Lion VM in Snow Leopard or maybe better Snow Leopard (or older) in a VM under Lion would give access to older software. I suppose for developers or beta testers - or maybe for a server with multiple user each with their owns desktop maybe - guess we'll see - need to check out what else its got. I use mostly Parallels, some VM Fusion and bit of VirtualBox - Parallels has fallen behind a bit now and then but for me it seems to work the best overall - could be in part because I have used every version of it since it was Virtual PC version 2 or 3 or I forget.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

not sure I need that - running Lion client within a server install or Lion server within a Lion client I can see - or perhaps running Lion VM in Snow Leopard or maybe better Snow Leopard (or older) in a VM under Lion would give access to older software. I suppose for developers or beta testers - or maybe for a server with multiple user each with their owns desktop maybe - guess we'll see - need to check out what else its got. I use mostly Parallels, some VM Fusion and bit of VirtualBox - Parallels has fallen behind a bit now and then but for me it seems to work the best overall - could be in part because I have used every version of it since it was Virtual PC version 2 or 3 or I forget.

It's useful to be able to sandbox Lion within Lion for testing stuff without worries of mucking up the real OS. Same reason I run other OSes in VMs, it's great Apple finally allow this.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    I have been happy with version 6 but there is no way I am paying $49 for an upgrade. I bought ver 6 on sale for $39 and saw it even cheaper after I purchased. I will wait patiently for sale.

-KeithP
  • Reply 6 of 42
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    They accidentally (or kindly) warned everybody in their upgrade ads. Therefore I never bought version 6. Sure am glad, too! I'll buy it when it is 30 bucks or so.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    I was forced to upgrade to Parallels 6 on July 20th, the date OS X Lion was released. Now I learn that if I would've waited 11 days after Lion was released I could have a version of Parallels optimized to run on Lion! How ridiculous! The free upgrade to Parallels 7 should at least be from July 20th, not August 1st!
  • Reply 8 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

... I gave up on Parallels a long time ago, VMware seems way more solid and less expensive in the long run.

Agreed. When I switched for good in 2008, I tried both out thanks to the product I support only installing on Windows (I use Mac for everything else work related but I need my virtual machines to test and blow up the enterprise app I work with server side). Parallels always seemed sluggish and crash happy compared to VMWare.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    rokradrokrad Posts: 143member
    Can we run Parallels within Parallels?
  • Reply 10 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokrad View Post

Can we run Parallels within Parallels?

V I R T U A L I Z A T I O N

We must OS deeper.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    Yo Dawg, I heard you like OSing so we put a OS in yo OS so you can OS while you OS.
  • Reply 12 of 42
    I upgraded this morning, seamless and painless.

I'm running Win7 in a vm on a secondary ssd. Boots in 28 seconds.

Good stuff, yup yup.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    I hate how Parallels comes out with a new "major update" every week.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    Their updates are a bit too fast for me too. I got ver 6 for very cheap but with the lion update my ubuntu installs are borked. I was hoping for a patch but I bet they'd rather sell me a nice shiny shrink-wrapped box instead.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:

Been virtualizing Lion with VMware since Beta Lion days. I gave up on Parallels a long time ago, VMware seems way more solid and less expensive in the long run.

Been using parallels. These apps leap frog each other every other release, its almost as though they have a secret deal about when to release features.

Am sticking to 6 for now.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    Using parallels for a couple of months and have been happy with it. I do some pretty extensive windows development and haven't had a crash yet.

This upgrade sounds good but even apple didn't charge this much for lion upgrade. WTH?
  • Reply 17 of 42
    I'm really bummed it's not in the Mac App Store. Listen up developers, sell your stuff both on your website and in the app store. Many of us get app store credit and will buy stuff there that we otherwise wouldn't. Plus, no funky serial or DRM issues...it just works for us.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

I really like Parallels commercial products. Parallels Plesk Panel on the Linux servers is really a fantastic product. I used the Mac Desktop version a few years ago with Vista and it was pretty sluggish. I have several Windows machines available and I'm not space constrained either so I don't need to run any vitalization on my Macs. I haven't tried VMware.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

I hate how Parallels comes out with a new "major update" every week.

It's called progress and it's only every year. It's streaks ahead of VMWare and VirtualBox doesn't even come close to Parallels.

Parallels is great and I will definitely be upgrading to this version as I have done for every version since 2 because for what I use it for it is far superior to anything else on the market.

Interesting that they never released a beta.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Parallels has fallen behind a bit now and then but for me it seems to work the best overall - could be in part because I have used every version of it since it was Virtual PC version 2 or 3 or I forget.

Microsoft purchased Connectix so Parallels was never Virtual PC.