Best Buy slashes RIM PlayBook tablet price by $150

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Big-box retailer Best Buy has dropped the price of Research in Motion's 64GB BlackBerry PlayBook to $549, making it the latest salvo in an ongoing price war among non-iPad tablet makers.

The 16GB and 32GB models received a more modest discount of $50, bring their prices to $449 and $549 respectively. However, the sale does not appear to be fully thought out, the 32GB PlayBook is now the same price as the 64GB version.

Best Buy advertises on its website that the sale will run from Thursday through Monday. The 7-inch tablet is Wi-Fi only and now advertised as supporting "all POP e-mail services." Initial reviews of the device criticized it as unfinished because it lacked a native email app.

RIM revealed in June that it had shipped 500,000 PlayBook tablets, though it declined to comment on actual sell-through of the device. Analysts have called the company a "one-trick pony" with a trick that no longer works. The struggling company announced in July that it will cut 2,000 jobs, roughly 10.5 percent of its workforce.

Interest in PlayBook does not appear to be strong. Sprint announced last month that it was abandoning plans to sell a 4G WiMax version of the PlayBook tablet. One recent report claimed RIM is placing its tablet hopes in 2012.

Apple's competitors in the tablet space are expected to slash prices throughout September, followed by "at least two waves of price cuts" between September and the 2011 holiday season. The discounts will reportedly come as companies seek to "digest inventory and minimize losses." Motorola, Asustek and Acer have all recently reduced their tablet prices.

HP has upped the ante for its competitors by clearing out the cancelled TouchPad tablet with a $99 fire sale. Despite the fact that the PC maker is estimated to lose as much as $200 on each device it sells at that price, the company has announced that it will produce a final run of the tablet. Given that HP has flooded the market with low-cost tablets at a loss, rival tablet makers have been left reeling by the company's parting shot.

Even a newcomer to the tablet space is facing downward pressure on pricing. Electronics giant Sony formally unveiled its foray into the tablet market this week, but analysts and bloggers quickly labelled the device as expensive. "Consumers want tablets, but they are not prepared to pay the same amount they'd pay for an iPad for something that's not an iPad," said Gartner analyst Carolina Milanesi.

Former Apple CEO Steve Jobs predicted pricing struggles for his competitors as early as last October.

"Our potential competitors [in tablets] are having a tough time coming close to iPad's pricing. iPad incorporates everything we've learned about building high value products," he said. "We create our own A4 chip, software, battery chemistry, enclosure, everything. This results in an incredible product at a great price. The proof will be in the pricing of our competitors' products, which will offer less for more."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    Apple really made a decision to go for the jugular with the iPad and it appears to be paying off so far.

Perhaps this is one major unseen use of apple's cash. Apple made a big bet on the iPad, pricing it at a level that required big economies of scale in order to be profitable. If it had not been as popular as it has been -- suppose for example that it had flopped like the TouchPad -- Apple would have taken a big loss. The existence of their cash pile gave them the security to take that kind of risk.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

RIM revealed in June that it had shipped 500,000 PlayBook tablets, though it declined to comment on actual sell-through of the device.

I think the price cuts are some indication of sell-through.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Another day, another non-Apple tablet gets slashed in price or gets dumped in a firesale, what else is new?
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Another day, another non-Apple tablet gets slashed in price or gets dumped in a firesale, what else is new?

The spin on the business shows will be that apple will need to address these price cuts and iPad margins will crumble. Who will be first? Bloomberg? CNBC? FOX?
  • Reply 5 of 30
    begbeg Posts: 53member
    Nice try DingleBerry. Try cutting another $400 off the price and maybe you have a chance. Lol
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Big-box retailer Best Buy has dropped the price of Research in Motion's 64GB BlackBerry PlayBook to $549......However, the sale does not appear to be fully thought out, the 32GB PlayBook is now the same price as the 64GB version.

"RIM: Less is as good as more."
  • Reply 7 of 30
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    None of the tablet manufacturers seem to get the ball rolling without google's help. Perhaps motorola was bought specifically to make a google tablet that would be a worthy competitor for the ipad.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fjose1929 View Post

The spin on the business shows will be that apple will need to address these price cuts and iPad margins will crumble. Who will be first? Bloomberg? CNBC? FOX?

I really think these "fire sales" are serving a different population. Might scrape off a few sales this fall, but the big picture is that apple is kicking everyone's butts in this market segment. At the same time, I do think tablet prices will come down substantially in the next year, and I also think chrome tablets are going to be a serious competitor once they get more of a presence in the market.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Bring it down to $49 and I will consider it (Hey I bought 2 $99 Touchpads for my kids). Better throw in a file too because the 7" screen is too small.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Even the reduced price is high for that turkey. I just don't know if this is nearly enough to even get BB fans interested. Non-BB-owners are out of the question because you have to have a BB to use a PlayBook, unless they've fixed that little tie-in mistake. It seems they vastly over estimated their ability to draw in new handset customers.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    So now PlayBook supports POP mail. You dont want that on a tablet. You want IMAP.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    So, $99 fire sale next?
  • Reply 13 of 30
    It's likely the Playbook will end up like the Touchpad. What's next - Motorola Xoom, Samsung Galaxy Tab? Keep them coming!
  • Reply 14 of 30
    "But...I don't *want* a PlayBook...."

RIM: "You're going to marry Princess Lucky, so you better get used to the idea!
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mihir79 View Post

It's likely the Playbook will end up like the Touchpad. What's next - Motorola Xoom, Samsung Galaxy Tab? Keep them coming!

The carnage continues. This is just getting sad.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    DAAAAAAAAAAAYUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Apple is rinding through the village on a super size steep chopping heads with a machete.

Rusted, just in case they can't hit that aorta, so the infection would lay them out. LOL!!!

Seriously, when I had my 1st generation ipad(16 gig wifi/3g) is performed flawlessly. I could ride through the web, email, game, music and movie like a god!!!

I sold it for $300.00 b/c I'm waiting ipad 3. I miss my effing ipad!!! But ipad 3 will be a freaking beast.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    Worthless at any price! The only device of it's type that I couldn't figure how it worked.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Quote:

RIM is placing its tablet hopes in 2012.

Now, Just what the hell does that mean?

...maybe the PlayBook can run an inspirational prayer service as a background task -- or does it grow mold and turn into roquefort?.

Sure inspires investors' resellers' and consumers' confidence!..

I knew it* was dead in June... How about you?

* the PlayBook
  • Reply 20 of 30
    So there's 2 market niches now; iPad and non-Apple tablets? The HP and RIM price cutting indicates consumers don't perceive non-Apple tablets to be worth more than $200.