Best Buy slashes RIM PlayBook tablet price by $150

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

DAAAAAAAAAAAYUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Apple is rinding through the village on a super size steep chopping heads with a machete.

Rusted, just in case they can't hit that aorta, so the infection would lay them out. LOL!!!

Seriously, when I had my 1st generation ipad(16 gig wifi/3g) is performed flawlessly. I could ride through the web, email, game, music and movie like a god!!!

I sold it for $300.00 b/c I'm waiting ipad 3. I miss my effing ipad!!! But ipad 3 will be a freaking beast.

Apple isn't doing the killing. It's more like Apple riding though the village and it's competitors committing sepukku as Apple passes them by.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    Drop the price another $500 and I'll be on it like a fly on...
  • Reply 23 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Now, Just what the hell does that mean?

...maybe the PlayBook can run an inspirational prayer service as a background task -- or does it grow mold and turn into roquefort?.

Sure inspires investors' resellers' and consumers' confidence!..

I knew it* was dead in June... How about you?

* the PlayBook

Well DA... I was with ya then as I am now... but I took it a bit further to add that RIM will be sold or will take on a "Sugar Daddy" investor by the end of the year, or latest Q1-2012. I still stand behind that prediction.

In addition, I made the bold prediction BEFORE the iPad 2 hit the shelves even, that it would sell 60 million by years end. Once again, I think I'm gonna be not so surprised when the numbers come out end of January 2012.

Still pretty shocked about HP giving up so soon though. That was a stunner to say the least. And as for Google Android Tablets: there won't be a serious competitor to iOS 5/iPad 2 until Q2 next year, at which time iPad 3/iOS 5.3 will have set the bar a few notches higher already in April. I expect Google to cave in re: Tablets about Q3, at which time I believe Larry "Lawsuit" Ellison will be awaiting a hefty check after winning the uh... lawsuit.

Now I'm waiting to see what MS has up their sleaves with Win8. IF they do it right by concentrating on getting their core services and Office smoothly integrated, they should be able to talk more than a few manufacturers into dumping Android. That is until component prices come down to be able to produce a tablet under $150.00 with a 10-15% profit margin.

You asked...
  • Reply 24 of 30
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Well DA... I was with ya then as I am now... but I took it a bit further to add that RIM will be sold or will take on a "Sugar Daddy" investor by the end of the year, or latest Q1-2012. I still stand behind that prediction.

Possible, but I think it's more likely that RIM will buy he Motorola handset business from Google.

If you're correct, who would buy RIM? A potential acquirer is not obvious:

- Sony? Would love to get into the consumer cell phone business, but RIM is too business oriented. Maybe a way to leverage the Sony name into business, but I doubt it. If Sony wants into this business, there are better acquisitions (Motorola).

- HTC? Possible. HTC has done very well on the consumer side but hasn't done well on the business side. Plus, HTC's tablet offering isn't very impressive. Perhaps if they combine the best of both HTC and RIM's tablets they might have something useful. Might create antitrust issues.

- Nokia? Maybe. Would leverage the cell phone business and expand Nokia into business. More importantly, would give Nokia a backdoor way to not put all its eggs in one (WP7) basket. Although if Nokia were to do this, I suspect they'd go for an android play, not RIM. Plus, there's the risk of antitrust rejection of Nokia buying RIM.

- White knight? Unlikely. I can't see anyone wanting to spend a lot of money buying a failing company to get into this cut-throat business. If you're not Apple, you're probably not making money. Not the kind of market that attracts investors.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    They could drop it to $20 and I sitll wouldn't want it. The TouchPad had WebOS and decent hardware going for it; this has nothing.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conscript View Post

Apple isn't doing the killing. It's more like Apple riding though the village and it's competitors committing sepukku as Apple passes them by.

Oh I like your imagery ... Or they refuse to find their own way, insisting they must keep right behind Apple's horse which shakes the earth with its thunderous hooves and they perish falling off the crumbling path's precipitous sides.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    stick a fork in it.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    just wait till October, and Christmas deals start heating up. All these tablet over stocks will go on sale. The HP touchpad did us a favor, an extremely cheap but decent tablet left the market, that means that everything else that isn't as good as the touchpad (which most aren't) already look too expensive. and everything else that is better than the touchpad will have to compete with the iPad. In the end consumers will win thanks to their over producing/over stocking.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    I think I will rush out and still not buy one.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Possible, but I think it's more likely that RIM will buy he Motorola handset business from Google.

If you're correct, who would buy RIM? A potential acquirer is not obvious:

- Sony? Would love to get into the consumer cell phone business, but RIM is too business oriented. Maybe a way to leverage the Sony name into business, but I doubt it. If Sony wants into this business, there are better acquisitions (Motorola).

- HTC? Possible. HTC has done very well on the consumer side but hasn't done well on the business side. Plus, HTC's tablet offering isn't very impressive. Perhaps if they combine the best of both HTC and RIM's tablets they might have something useful. Might create antitrust issues.

- Nokia? Maybe. Would leverage the cell phone business and expand Nokia into business. More importantly, would give Nokia a backdoor way to not put all its eggs in one (WP7) basket. Although if Nokia were to do this, I suspect they'd go for an android play, not RIM. Plus, there's the risk of antitrust rejection of Nokia buying RIM.

- White knight? Unlikely. I can't see anyone wanting to spend a lot of money buying a failing company to get into this cut-throat business. If you're not Apple, you're probably not making money. Not the kind of market that attracts investors.

You forgot 2 big names, that of late are playing "fast and loose" with their money: Google and MS.

I originally wrote months ago that I think MS might step in, just to get the last hook in to the enterprise with RIMs secure server business. I still think that's feasible. Whether it "works" for MS is certainly up for discussion, and I'm not sure if they really "need" RIMs expertise. More than likely they would kill RIM and keep the IP.

Speaking of IP, that would be the only reason Google would want RIM. The handset business would be spun off surely... but who would even want it? Although as we all know, Google was originally gaga over the Blackberry, considering Android was prototyped on a similar looking device.

As always... just my wild preds... uh meds... uh....