Who likes the new mail?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi!

The new mail in Lion looks more like the iOS version. I noticed I did change back to the old look and I was wondering how you are experiencing the new mail in everyday use, and what kind of settings you use.

One thing I noticed is that I prefer to have the left bar (with smart filters). I guess a lot people choose to "show column".

Another thing is I switched back to the classic view. This way I can see more in list view and I'm not really looking at the first sentences of each mail which are shown in the "new view".

The new view doesn't give me the feeling of "overview".

Another huge thing is Apple by default interprets mails being sent back and forth, and shows them as separate containers, like the Facebook wall. However, I get confused when there's a conversation between multiple people going on. Sometimes I think "hey, did I really include person X in this conversation? OMG!". But when you look deeper, it's not the case.

It also *groups* messages by conversation. It's easy to accidentally delete a whole conversation.

So, I sort by date, turn off "group by conversation" and turn off "Facebook wall-ish view".

Basically I end up with a very traditional Mail version.

I'm curious how you use mail, since a lot of what I wrote here probably is an unwillingness to change to something new, but perhaps there are some changes which are a step back from the old Mail?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    I like mail the way it was in SL, idk why they changed it.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Sofar you guys don't sound over the moon about Mail in Lion...
  • Reply 3 of 18
    I really like the new mail. There are no major changes, but the opportunity to have Mailbox information on the left margin is easier to visually navigate and I think that is great. Although a huge Apple fan, I had always thought MicroSoft's mail was better in that regard.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    I always have my mail apps in full screen, and I have to say that I absolutely love the new Mail app. Gives off a much better content-preview. And I feel it looks a lot more modern then the previous version of Mail.

But if you don't like it, you can always choose to revert to the old version.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    I was just searching for this information for a while. After six hours of continuous Googleing, at last I got it in your web site. I wonder what is the Google's problem that does not rank this kind of informative websites closer to the top. Generally the top web sites are full of garbage.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    There are some things I really don't like. If you have a huge thread of mail from one source, it becomes a "conversation" and then clicking on a newly received update loads the headers for the whole history from that source. This really slows down responsiveness.

Second, I very often use Quick Look to look at attachments. The button for Quick Look has been removed, and I have to option-click and choose Quick Look from the contextual menu. I hate it.

For the second issue, I can adapt by using the keyboard shortcut instead (CMD-Y).
  • Reply 7 of 18
    I think I'll pass for the time being.

Who needs problems?
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Third Man View Post

I think I'll pass for the time being.

Who needs problems?

And if you update to Lion, you won't have any?
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Shame your advice doesn't jive with all the problems people report, eh?
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:

Shame your advice doesn't jive with all the problems people report, eh?

It's more of a personal operational preference than a problem. Yes, it's difficult to get used to Lion's default setup of Mail, but the classic view is perfectly preserved should you choose to revert it. You don't have to use conversation threading or any of the new features.

And when you upgrade to Lion, you get Mail's new awesome search feature.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yes, it's difficult to get used to Lion's default setup

I don't like difficult.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:

I don't like difficult.

Which is why the classic look is still in there. You can slowly add new layout features as you get used to them or not use them at all. Apple (for once) didn't just plop a new interface down and say, "This is the way you do things now. This is the ONLY way you do things now," they actually kept the old style around.

So that's progress for them. Give 'em time; we might see this sort of thing elsewhere.

Lion's default look mimic's the iPad's Mail application. As an iPad user, I felt right at home the first time I fired up Mail in DP1, and I actually love the new Lion Mail, but I can certainly understand the disconnect between it and Mail as it once was. Particularly if you've never used an iPad's Mail.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:

Give 'em time

Sure will!

Betas are for nerds.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    I didn't like mail in SL at all. I fact I prefered Entourage and outlook. However, mail in Lion is heads and shoulders above SL for me. It's my default mail client now.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:

Betas are for nerds.

Except it isn't a beta. Quit being a child.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:

Except it isn't a beta.

It isn't?

Then why

Quote:

Give 'em time

...???

• Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chuck O. Jones View Post

It isn't?

Then why

...???

Because that response had nothing to do with what I had said earlier. It serves best to read the entire thread before making pointless connections.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shirmy View Post

It is for developer.

That makes absolutely no sense. Not even grammatically.