U2 singer Bono praises philanthropy of Apple's Steve Jobs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 114
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Journojulz View Post

Bono under fire over One charity donations totalling £9.6m

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/news/841666-b...#ixzz1WnylPJ9R

The non-profit One campaign received almost £9.6million in donations in 2008 but handed over only £118,000 to good causes.

Figures show that the group also spent more than £5.1million on executive and staff salaries.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/news/841666-b...#ixzz1WnyyvvDd

Tabloid readers in again. That money did not go to Bono - despite the headline. It was salaries for what is, in effect, a lobbying group, which lobbies for AID increases from tax, but doesn't spend on charity itself. The money came from the Gates foundation.

All of this was in the article. Read it?
  • Reply 22 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

If didn't pay my taxes, I would have a lot more to give to charity.

But if you don't pay your taxes how will we spend trillions on a war with a country that posed no threat to us(Iraq not Afghanistan)? /sarcasm.
  • Reply 23 of 114
    Andrew Ross Sorkin, of the ny times, is a jerk who just posts spurious news. no research, no backup, just garbage.

maybe steve jobs should take out an ad in the newspaper regarding his purchase of girl scout cookies. btw, steve jobs is a big, silent, supporter of organ donations.

also, the ny times has virtually no credibility any more.
  • Reply 24 of 114
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Bono pays his entire personal tax in Ireland where he lives. U2, a corporation of which he is not a majority member, moves some of it's operations to Holland via a subsidiary. Bono may have had nothing to do with that, or voted agains it.

The difference between Bono and U2, the corporation, is the same as between Steve jobs and Apple. Except that Bono is not as much in charge as Jobs is.

Apple have subsidiaries in Ireland, and Holland too. Both are low ( corporate) tax regimes compared to the US, which is probably a low tax regime relative to Sweden. Apple trades in all these countries, as does U2.

This does not mean that either Steve Jobs or Bono are tax cheats on their personal income. Not understanding the difference between Bono and U2 the corporation is the catch cry of the British Tabloid press and their semi-literate knuckle dragging readership. AI should be better than that.

As for charity: like Jobs Bono doesn't talk about his charity contributions, which might well be significant.

Exactly. Back in the 1960s, most of the big rock stars moved out of the UK and some even gave up British citizenship, so they could move elsewhere and pay lower taxes. Back then, the highest marginal rate in the UK was about 90%. That's why George Harrison wrote the song "Taxman".

However, there are several ways one could look at U2's decision to register aspects of their corporation in the Netherlands.

- it doesn't matter: corporations should do whatever is in the best interest of its shareholders.

or

- the band should be incorporated and pay taxes where it earns the most income.

or

- the band should be incorporated and pay taxes where it considers it home: do they consider themselves to be an "Irish" band?

Having said that, I definitely think rich people should pay their fair share in taxes and at least in the U.S., I don't think the rich pay enough, especially considering that the highest marginal rate on ordinary income was 70% during the Nixon administration, 50% during the Reagan administration and is now down to 35%. Of course as Warren Buffet has pointed out, he pays a lower rate than his employees do, since most of his income is long term capital gains, which is taxed at only 15% (goes to 20% in 2013, unless Republicans roll it back again.)
  • Reply 25 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Good for Bono. I tend to get sick of the 'Look how wonderful Gates is and how mean Jobs is' type stuff I hear from PC fans.

What Gates and his foundation are doing is completely unprecedented in the history of mankind, in terms of financial magnitude, scope and approach. That should not be used to slight anyone, least of all Jobs. But no one can compare to Gates when it comes to non-profit endeavors.
  • Reply 26 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post

Andrew Ross Sorkin, of the ny times, is a jerk who just posts spurious news. no research, no backup, just garbage.

maybe steve jobs should take out an ad in the newspaper regarding his purchase of girl scout cookies. btw, steve jobs is a big, silent, supporter of organ donations.

also, the ny times has virtually no credibility any more.

I think you've gone too far. Having said that, Sorkin wrote "Before writing this column, I had reservations about even raising the issue given his ill health". He should have heeded his reservations.
  • Reply 27 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lukei View Post

And publicity which he thrives on. I give my fair share to a number of charities but don't lecture others about it. More importantly which was my main point I pay all the tax that as a contributor to society I should do. U2 including Bono do not, they are not alone but others are far less sanctimonious.

Hmm, these sound like right-wing talking points. Who sent them to you?

As was pointed out before, you DID lecture us about it, so take your sanctimonious attitude someplace else.
  • Reply 28 of 114
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Good for Bono. I tend to get sick of the 'Look how wonderful Gates is and how mean Jobs is' type stuff I hear from PC fans.

Sorry, but the quote from Bono doesn't refute that. Notice that he said that they got millions of dollars FROM APPLE, not from Jobs. Let's not confuse Apple giving money to charity with Jobs giving money to charity.

Jobs has no obligation to donate, nor does he have any obligation to publicize any donations he makes. At the same time, it is completely reasonable to praise Gates for his massive contributions. Gates has clearly done an enormous amount of good with his wealth. We simply don't know if Jobs has done the same (although there are certainly no public reports of his giving ANYTHING to charity).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

What Gates and his foundation are doing is completely unprecedented in the history of mankind, in terms of financial magnitude, scope and approach. That should not be used to slight anyone, least of all Jobs. But no one can compare to Gates when it comes to non-profit endeavors.

That is absolutely true. While I despise the way Gates ran Microsoft, his use of his personal wealth is praiseworthy. Further, he has started an initiative to get ultra-wealthy individuals to agree to donate half of their wealth to charity on their death so his generosity will be multiplied.
  • Reply 29 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Bono pays his entire personal tax in Ireland where he lives. U2, a corporation of which he is not a majority member, moves some of it's operations to Holland via a subsidiary. Bono may have had nothing to do with that, or voted agains it.

The difference between Bono and U2, the corporation, is the same as between Steve jobs and Apple. Except that Bono is not as much in charge as Jobs is.

Apple have subsidiaries in Ireland, and Holland too. Both are low ( corporate) tax regimes compared to the US, which is probably a low tax regime relative to Sweden. Apple trades in all these countries, as does U2.

This does not mean that either Steve Jobs or Bono are tax cheats on their personal income. Not understanding the difference between Bono and U2 the corporation is the catch cry of the British Tabloid press and their semi-literate knuckle dragging readership. AI should be better than that.

As for charity: like Jobs Bono doesn't talk about his charity contributions, which might well be significant.

Bravo! x2
  • Reply 30 of 114
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I admire Steve Jobs for the products he created. Giving money to charity doesn't really make me admire people. It is much harder to invent something, than just put money here, put money there.
  • Reply 31 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I admire Steve Jobs for the products he created. Giving money to charity doesn't really make me admire people. It is much harder to invent something, than just put money here, put money there.

If you read the Sorkin article, you'd see that he wasn't just commenting on the impact of Jobs' personal donations but how he could inspire others to do likewise. Furthermore, there are folks like Bill Gates (very few though) who are not just giving money but dedicating his life to charitable causes.
  • Reply 32 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That is absolutely true. While I despise the way Gates ran Microsoft, his use of his personal wealth is praiseworthy. Further, he has started an initiative to get ultra-wealthy individuals to agree to donate half of their wealth to charity on their death so his generosity will be multiplied.

Furthermore, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is giving money in a highly organized and intellectual way. They are hiring some of the best scientists and engineers to manage programs for drug discovery, vaccination and education for malaria, AIDS and TB. The scope of BMGF boggles the mind.
  • Reply 33 of 114
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

If you read the Sorkin article, you'd see that he wasn't just commenting on the impact of Jobs' personal donations but how he could inspire others to do likewise. Furthermore, there are folks like Bill Gates (very few though) who are not just giving money but dedicating his life to charitable causes.

I do not admire those things either. I like inventors. If you admire them that is fine.
  • Reply 34 of 114
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

Oh come on, their philanthropy is entirely separate from the mac vs pc debate. Its not just PC fans who (apparently wrongly) thought Jobs made no significant contributions to charity.

Odd thing to keep secret though.
  • Reply 35 of 114
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjs View Post

"...Sorkin questioned why there is "no public record" of Jobs donating his money to charity...."

Some donate because it's the right thing to do and not for the publicity.

All this bull crap about making donations public comes from a very pathetic element in our society. In effect this drive to force people to make donations public actually leads to less giving. In the realm of there ought to be a law, people like Sorkin need to learn to respect people's privacy. There are many reasons for peope to prefer anonymity in their giving, no one needs to justify what they do or don't do in regards to charity.

Further more if Sorkin was the least bit involved in volunteer work, he would have a far better understanding of what the so called wealthy do with their money. Mind you they support charities often with no desire at all for publicity.
  • Reply 36 of 114
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

Just out of curiosity, what is the impact of Gate's foundation on his tax returns?
  • Reply 37 of 114
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

Oh come on, their philanthropy is entirely separate from the mac vs pc debate. Its not just PC fans who (apparently wrongly) thought Jobs made no significant contributions to charity.

Odd thing to keep secret though.

I agree it should be separate but I have heard it used countless times as a triumphant finale to a load of anti-Apple comments from PC users. My point was hopefully they can remove that as a verbal tag line now and stick to the 'walled garden' etc.
  • Reply 38 of 114
    Why do we think that someone has to donate while (s)he's still alive.

Arguably, it is more altruistic to donate (with clear instructions on where, how much, when, how) after passing on, since you're foregoing the public adulation (and in some cases, reversing the disapprobation related to how you may have made your money - for example, monopoly pricing).

Perhaps we should wait to see what's ultimately done with SJ's wealth.
  • Reply 39 of 114
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 40 of 114
    Apple, eBay, HP, Intel, Intuit and Oracle are founding members of the new

Stanford Hospital Corporate Partners Program. Their contributions are projected to provide as much as $150 million over the next 10 years to help build the new hospital and create a global model for patient-centered, technologically advanced health care.

Corporate Partners Program projected to provide $150 million to build the New Stanford Hospital and create a global model for patient-centered, technologically advanced health care

"All of us are very fortunate to have Stanford's world-class medical center right here in Silicon Valley," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "We are very excited about the development of their new hospital and really want to support their plans."

http://stanfordhospital.org/newsEven...-partners.html