U2 singer Bono praises philanthropy of Apple's Steve Jobs

Comments

• Reply 41 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Sorry, but the quote from Bono doesn't refute that. Notice that he said that they got millions of dollars FROM APPLE, not from Jobs. Let's not confuse Apple giving money to charity with Jobs giving money to charity.

Jobs has no obligation to donate, nor does he have any obligation to publicize any donations he makes. At the same time, it is completely reasonable to praise Gates for his massive contributions. Gates has clearly done an enormous amount of good with his wealth. We simply don't know if Jobs has done the same (although there are certainly no public reports of his giving ANYTHING to charity).

That is absolutely true. While I despise the way Gates ran Microsoft, his use of his personal wealth is praiseworthy. Further, he has started an initiative to get ultra-wealthy individuals to agree to donate half of their wealth to charity on their death so his generosity will be multiplied.

Hear, hear!

It's fashionable for people who like Apple (and obviously on a site like this, that's the majority) to bash Bill Gates, just as it's no doubt popular on Microsoft fan sites to bash Steve Jobs.

But to be critical of how Bill Gates is conducting himself in his post-Microsoft life is entirely wrong. He is being generous of his money and his time, and his foundation is achieving some wonderful things. The world is a better place because of Bill Gates.
  • Reply 42 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lukei View Post

Now all we need is for U2 to pay some tax and Bono to give at least some of the US$800M he has made out of Facebook shares to charity and he might have some credibility.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/columni...5875-23377466/

I sense much anger in you! Misplaced it may be?

Please do some research before you post!

http://www.looktothestars.org/celebrity/26-bono
  • Reply 43 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

Bono's done a ton of work for project (R)ed. I think that gives him quite a bit of credibility. You should inform us of your contributions to charity.

Then he can have to credibility.
  • Reply 44 of 114
    Quote:

Sorry, but the quote from Bono doesn't refute that. Notice that he said that they got millions of dollars FROM APPLE, not from Jobs.

Do you know for a fact that Steve doesn't give to charity?

Steve Jobs is a very private person. WE DONT KNOW if Steve is secrety giving to charity or not.

This is what I know, His wife is into charity and non-profit work. I'll bet Steve is a HUUUGE supporter of his wife's work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurene_Powell_Jobs

Laurene Powell Jobs turned her attention to non-profit entrepreneurship, focusing on education, women’s human rights, and the arts. As of 2011, she sits on the boards of directors of

Teach for America;

Global Fund for Women;

KQED (PBS);

EdVoice;

New America Foundation;

Stanford Schools Corporation;

New Schools Venture Fund.

And those are only the things we know of. i'm sure they're supporting alot of causes/charitties/etc.
  • Reply 45 of 114
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Steve Jobs, World's Greatest Philanthropist

Quote:

Last year Change.org wrote of Steve Jobs, "It's high time the minimalist CEO became a magnanimous philanthropist."

I've got news for you. He has been. What's important is how we use our time on this earth, not how conspicuously we give our money away. What's important is the energy and courage we are willing to expend reversing entropy, battling cynicism, suffering and challenging mediocre minds, staring down those who would trample our dreams, taking a stand for magic, and advancing the potential of the human race.

On these scores, the world has no greater philanthropist than Steve Jobs. If ever a man contributed to humanity, here he is. And he has done it while battling cancer.

http://blogs.hbr.org/pallotta/2011/0...atest-phi.html
  • Reply 46 of 114
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    That is true. Also we wouldn't be able to support repressive regimes by giving them billions in so called humanitarian aid. There is also the issue of subsidizing American war manufacturing companies by having them build weapons we don't need.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

But if you don't pay your taxes how will we spend trillions on a war with a country that posed no threat to us(Iraq not Afghanistan)? /sarcasm.

• Reply 47 of 114
    Quote:

Sorry, but the quote from Bono doesn't refute that. Notice that he said that they got millions of dollars FROM APPLE, not from Jobs. Let's not confuse Apple giving money to charity with Jobs giving money to charity.

Jobs has no obligation to donate, nor does he have any obligation to publicize any donations he makes. At the same time, it is completely reasonable to praise Gates for his massive contributions. Gates has clearly done an enormous amount of good with his wealth. We simply don't know if Jobs has done the same (although there are certainly no public reports of his giving ANYTHING to charity).

That is absolutely true. While I despise the way Gates ran Microsoft, his use of his personal wealth is praiseworthy. Further, he has started an initiative to get ultra-wealthy individuals to agree to donate half of their wealth to charity on their death so his generosity will be multiplied.

Steve Jobs has done plenty for charity. That's the bottom line. You missed the point. It's none of your business how much that man is giving or not giving to charity and through what channels he chooses to give it. Worry about what you are doing. That's the point. Not everyone needs to broadcast the millions and billions they are giving to charity. Not everyone needs to be or wants to be recognized for their charity. Not everyone needs to be praised for simply doing the right thing.

The article was in poor taste. ARS should be ashamed of himself for even writing it and should be called out for it.
  • Reply 48 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Hear, hear!

It's fashionable for people who like Apple (and obviously on a site like this, that's the majority) to bash Bill Gates, just as it's no doubt popular on Microsoft fan sites to bash Steve Jobs.

But to be critical of how Bill Gates is conducting himself in his post-Microsoft life is entirely wrong. He is being generous of his money and his time, and his foundation is achieving some wonderful things. The world is a better place because of Bill Gates.

No one is criticizing Bill Gates now. Nor should they have been ever as it relates to his charitable contributions.
  • Reply 49 of 114
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Gates is to be commended. However, people can't slight Jobs. Everything the public knows about the guy is that he is very private about his personal affairs. If he donates, which I think he does, he likely does it in private.

Further, companies take cues from its leaders. Apple has been very charitable regarding human rights issues. This is unlike a company like Target that actually donates money to oppose things like gay marriage.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

What Gates and his foundation are doing is completely unprecedented in the history of mankind, in terms of financial magnitude, scope and approach. That should not be used to slight anyone, least of all Jobs. But no one can compare to Gates when it comes to non-profit endeavors.

• Reply 50 of 114
    Quote:

If you read the Sorkin article, you'd see that he wasn't just commenting on the impact of Jobs' personal donations but how he could inspire others to do likewise. Furthermore, there are folks like Bill Gates (very few though) who are not just giving money but dedicating his life to charitable causes.

Bono pointed out how Steve Jobs through Apple was able to inspire other large corporations to donate time and money to charitable causes. The article was in poor taste.
  • Reply 51 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Steve Jobs has done plenty for charity. That's the bottom line. You missed the point. It's none of your business how much that man is giving or not giving to charity and through what channels he chooses to give it. Worry about what you are doing. That's the point. Not everyone needs to broadcast the millions and billions they are giving to charity. Not everyone needs to be or wants to be recognized for their charity. Not everyone needs to be praised for simply doing the right thing.

The article was in poor taste. ARS should be ashamed of himself for even writing it and should be called out for it.

I'm not sure you read what JRagosta actually wrote. He specifically said, "Jobs has no obligation to donate, nor does he have any obligation to publicize any donations he makes." I think that acknowledges we don't know what Steve Jobs does, nor do we have a right to know either way, nor should we assume not publicizing what you do means you don't do anything.

Personally, I'd be amazed if Steve Jobs doesn't give a lot to charity, most of the super rich do, even if they don't publicize it.

Larry Ellison is an interesting model for what I suspect Steve Jobs will be like. His letter to the Giving Pledge was a good example of someone who just gave quietly:

http://cms.givingpledge.org/Content/...son_080310.pdf
  • Reply 52 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lukei View Post

Now all we need is for U2 to pay some tax and Bono to give at least some of the US$800M he has made out of Facebook shares to charity and he might have some credibility.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/columni...5875-23377466/

Since you're obviously more generous than most, maybe you should share with us the percentage of your annual income that you donate to charity?
  • Reply 53 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Good for Bono. I tend to get sick of the 'Look how wonderful Gates is and how mean Jobs is' type stuff I hear from PC fans.

Of course Gates is donating his own wealth, not having Microsoft do it for him. It seems to me there is a difference between Steve Jobs making donations and Apple making donations and Steve Jobs be given the credit which seems to be what Bonehead is doing.

-kpluck
  • Reply 54 of 114
    Quote:

What Gates and his foundation are doing is completely unprecedented in the history of mankind, in terms of financial magnitude, scope and approach. That should not be used to slight anyone, least of all Jobs. But no one can compare to Gates when it comes to non-profit endeavors.

Do you know anything about the history of Microsoft and how Gates got so rich? Why was the DoJ investigating Microsoft? Why has the EU been investigating Microsoft for so long?

Have you ever heard of the "Windows tax"?

It is really easy to hand out money when you have ripped it off from someone else.

Kind of like the Federal government.
  • Reply 55 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

That is true. Also we wouldn't be able to support repressive regimes by giving them billions in so called humanitarian aid. There is also the issue of subsidizing American war manufacturing companies by having them build weapons we don't need.

*nods head in agreement*

*stares at feet for a moment*

*shakes head in bewilderment*
  • Reply 56 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Of course Gates is donating his own wealth, not having Microsoft do it for him. It seems to me there is a difference between Steve Jobs making donations and Apple making donations and Steve Jobs be given the credit which seems to be what Bonehead is doing.

-kpluck

Steve's getting $1/year salary from Apple.

If he wanted to, Steve could get $100 Million + yearly salary and he can absolutely get it. but he doesn't.

Apple now has more money to give to charity.

• Reply 57 of 114
    I've read before that a significant number of very wealthy people prefer not to be public about their charitable giving out of desire not to draw unnecessary media attention and/or be flooded with requests from other charities and organizations--many of which employ people for that very purpose. Given his obvious interest in privacy for his personal life, I can imagine Jobs would fall into that category.

Not trying to be an apologist. I'd personally be very disappointed to learn that Jobs isn't giving something to charity on a regular basis. If my wife and I can manage it on what we make, then Jobs sure in the hell can. And if he lacks time, he could hire someone to coordinate it. That's no excuse.

Regardless, it's only fair to consider that possibility or assume that he does all his giving anonymously.
  • Reply 58 of 114
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 59 of 114
    deleted
  • Reply 60 of 114
    deleted