Fifth-gen iPhone FCC ID revealed in iOS 5 beta 7 reaffirms imminent announcment

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new file found inside the latest iOS 5 beta reveals that regulatory information for an unannounced "N94" iPhone model has already been assigned to Apple, suggesting the smartphone maker is on the verge of introducing its new family of handsets.

More specifically, an image named ?RegulatoryInfo-N94AP@2x~iphone.png? has been discovered by a MacRumors reader in the pre-release software, indicating an iPhone called N94 has been granted Federal Communications Commission (FCC) ID "BCG-E2430A."

Such regulatory information, which is only awarded to finalized products, can be seen by users on any iOS device by going to Settings > General > About > Regulatory. For instance, the GSM and CDMA iPhone 4 versions each have their own distinct FCC identifiers, BCG-E2380A and BCG-E2422A, respectively.

The identifier "N94," a codename previously referenced in Apple?s iOS 5 SDK and on leaked iPhone components, is believed to coincide with a so-called "iPhone 4S," or a cheaper iOS smartphone that's rumored to make an introduction alongside a more advanced iPhone 5.

The device's new FCC has yet to turn up in the agencies equipment authorization database, as MacRumors notes that such entries traditionally do not appear until the day the products are announced.

Apple is also known for asking the FCC not to share with the public certain confidential documents it submits as part of the agencies approval process until the day the company announces the product, as those documents often contain photos and detailed descriptions of the products design.

Apple is expected to announce its new iPhone models at a special media event this fall, with recent reports suggesting a potential launch date for the new devices for early October.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Do you think there is going to be an event this fall?. Maybe without SF they are just going to announce new products on the website.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    Whoa! A new iPhone is coming?
  • Reply 3 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Do you think there is going to be an event this fall?. Maybe without SF they are just going to announce new products on the website.

I assume you mean Steve Jobs (SJ) not "SF."

Steve has made some appearances while he was away for medical reasons (before his resignation as CEO) so it's likely that he will continue to make occasional appearances at major events unless/until his health has deteriorated.

That said, a new iPhone is unquestionably the most significant hardware release for Apple; it generates over half of the company's revenue. If there's one product Steve announces, it would be the iPhone.

Remember, Steve (or anyone else for that matter) isn't obligated to give the entire 90 minute keynote. Steve could just show up, give a quick introduction about the new product, then pass it over to other members of the senior management team (he has already done so several times) whether it be Tim, Phil, Eddy, Bob, Scott, a few others.

Apple gets a lot of media attention from their live events, far more than any other high-tech company's press conferences. For this reason, it would seem that they would continue to have live events for key announcements for the foreseeable future.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Did Apple partnered with Nokia?
  • Reply 5 of 28
    We can't tell if this is sarcasm. You're supposed to use smilies on the Internet because A.) sarcasm is poorly conveyed in written communications, and B.) many readers here aren't native English speakers and have extra difficulty in picking up poorly conveyed sarcasm.

So, lacking clarity, it's wisest to take this statement at face value.

The answer is no.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Sorry. I must've missed the day they taught forum posting etiquette. <\\sarcasm>

But honestly, I believe anyone who reads these boards is very well informed and would've taken the post as (an attempt) at humor
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Based on my review of forum responses here at AI and at other tech rumor websites over a period of many years, your assumption is decidedly wrong.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    In other news, the Sun rises in the east...

ETA: /sarc
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gsteeno View Post

Did Apple partnered with Nokia?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

We can't tell if this is sarcasm. You're supposed to use smilies on the Internet because A.) sarcasm is poorly conveyed in written communications, and B.) many readers here aren't native English speakers and have extra difficulty in picking up poorly conveyed sarcasm.

So, lacking clarity, it's wisest to take this statement at face value.

The answer is no.

Sarcasm, when cleverly done, needs no decoration. Like Shakespeare's metaphors, it's considered better when and because not everyone quite gets it.

All to say, N94 a collaboration between AAPL and Nokia?
  • Reply 10 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Based on my review of forum responses here at AI and at other tech rumor websites over a period of many years, your assumption is decidedly wrong.

You forgot to add smiles or LOL.

• Reply 11 of 28
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Apple are making another iPhone. Holy cow.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

You forgot to add smiles or LOL.

Now if I were being sarcastic, I would have clearly added smilies.

Good thing I wasn't, otherwise I would have screwed up the system.

• Reply 13 of 28
    Times like this it could be fun to work for the FCC, particularly on testing new devices like the yet to be revealed iPhones
  • Reply 14 of 28
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    I wonder how much time there usually is between getting the FCC ID and Apple sending out invites to the event. I am so sick of waiting at this point. If my 3Gs weren't sucking, I would have given up on the iP5 long ago.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

I wonder how much time there usually is between getting the FCC ID and Apple sending out invites to the event.

THere is no 'usual' in this case. Apple has always prevented the FCC from releasing this data until after the announcement in the past.

Quote:

I am so sick of waiting at this point.

So buy an iPhone 4.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

THere is no 'usual' in this case. Apple has always prevented the FCC from releasing this data until after the announcement in the past.

So buy an iPhone 4.

I can't buy an iPhone 4 now for the same reason I couldn't when they launched. Glass back panel and antenna design. Thanks for the suggestion though.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Quote:

Glass back panel

Allergic to glass, are you? Or have oily, slippery hands?

Quote:

antenna design.

FUD.

And that's the end of your argument.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Quote:

Allergic to glass, are you? Or have oily, slippery hands?

FUD.

And that's the end of your argument.

Just so that I completely understand your comment, you are saying that my reasoning for not getting an iPhone 4 is because I am afraid of it's potential shortcomings?
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Quote:

Just so that I completely understand your comment, you are saying that my reasoning for not getting an iPhone 4 is because I am afraid of it's potential shortcomings?

No, your reason for not getting the iPhone is because you believe the hoax that there's a problem with the antenna and that you're too afraid to use your device how you want it (you're not gonna drop it, and if you're still afraid, get a case).
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Quote:

No, your reason for not getting the iPhone is because you believe the hoax that there's a problem with the antenna and that you're too afraid to use your device how you want it (you're not gonna drop it, and if you're still afraid, get a case).

The facts are that glass (even gorilla glass) is fragile, and I'm not interested in having a phone that has so much of it as its outer casing. Also, there was no hoax related to the antenna. The external antenna was an innovative design that had some downsides, and affected different users to varying degrees, depending on whether or not they used a case. I am also not interested in having a phone that requires a case to minimize the downsides of the antenna.

My reasons are valid whether you subscribe to them or not. Not sure why you think you can tell me what to do like I am your 12 year old son, but you are quite deluded. And that is the end of your argument.