Samsung Note: sweet. 5.3" phonelet

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Anyone that has or wants an Android...what do you think of the Samsung Note!!! A 5.3" phone with a stylus. Wow. Amazing interface. It's a tablet. It's a phone. It's a phonelet! Tabphone?

If Apple was smart they'd license the amazing S-Pen from Samsung and put it on iPad. That would rock. Also I hope Sammy puts it on their Tabs.

For me personally I'd love if it was a slider. My dream scenario would be if I had a Note with a case that has a slider keyboard like the ones for iPhone, with a kickstand, and also S-AMOLED Plus instead of just AMOLED. A computer in my pocket. SWEET.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lfBq...eature=related

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

A 5.3" phone with a stylus. Wow. Amazing interface. It's a tablet. It's a phone. It's a phonelet! Tabphone?

It's a big-ass phone and a small-ass tablet:

IMO anything less than a 10" screen is not a worthy tablet. Browsing is just usable on a 10" screen, it's not going to be pleasant on something 1/4 the size.

As for it being a phone competitor with a lot of screen real-estate, it has some benefits but you want it to easily go in your pocket without digging into you when you sit down. The stylus doesn't offer much more than finger input and you can get a pogo capacitive stylus already for an iPhone.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Anyone that has or wants an Android...what do you think of the Samsung Note!!! A 5.3" phone with a stylus. Wow. Amazing interface. It's a tablet. It's a phone. It's a phonelet! Tabphone?

If Apple was smart they'd license the amazing S-Pen from Samsung and put it on iPad. That would rock. Also I hope Sammy puts it on their Tabs.

For me personally I'd love if it was a slider. My dream scenario would be if I had a Note with a case that has a slider keyboard like the ones for iPhone, with a kickstand, and also S-AMOLED Plus instead of just AMOLED. A computer in my pocket. SWEET.

If its weight is like the SGS2 but with twice the battery capacity then, yes, I would seriously consider it.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Marvin that's cool I didn't know you could get a stylus to use with a smartphone. However, iPhone is not designed for it. Note is pressure-sensitive, it's built in everywhere in the OS, and they opened the API up to 3rd parties. Furthermore, I know it's big but it's thing. I want it. I do think 5" might have been more of a sweet spot than 5.3"...but time will tell. I can't wait to go try it out at a store. Also people are actually talking less on their phones. They are already using them more as mini-tablets. Imagine using it to VNC back into your Mac or PC. Sweet. And using a Bluetooth or speakerphone (when at home or in car, not public!!) can solve the issue you highlight with the giant phone stuck to your head.

And you can take screenshots at any time, even in movies, and then annotate them. Even annotate them with a scribble that becomes a movie. And send with ChatON (like iMessage, but unlike the closed and proprietary Apple, ChatON will work on all phones including iPhones. Thanks Samsung.) Also it can initiate WebEx with one click to someone so they can see your screen or a slide on your phone. You can collaborate on a whiteboard as well with the S Pen. Neat.

No wonder Apple is scared of Samsung.

Chuck it has enormous battery. Standard battery, Li-on 2,500 mAh. Also I read somewhere it's removable. (Always cool. Can get an extended one if need be.)

http://www.samsung.com/global/micros...note/spec.html

Also the GPS has Glonass! I can't believe that! Any GIS people here do you know if phones use WAAS by the way? Anyhow this means it's more accurate, using Russian satellites as well. I just wish it had a camera button.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Marvin that's cool I didn't know you could get a stylus to use with a smartphone. However, iPhone is not designed for it. Note is pressure-sensitive, it's built in everywhere in the OS, and they opened the API up to 3rd parties. Furthermore, I know it's big but it's thing. I want it. I do think 5" might have been more of a sweet spot than 5.3"...but time will tell. I can't wait to go try it out at a store. Also people are actually talking less on their phones. They are already using them more as mini-tablets. Imagine using it to VNC back into your Mac or PC.

You can already do that with various RDP software. Free and commercial.

Quote:

Sweet. And using a Bluetooth or speakerphone (when at home or in car, not public!!) can solve the issue you highlight with the giant phone stuck to your head.

And you can take screenshots at any time, even in movies, and then annotate them. Even annotate them with a scribble that becomes a movie. And send with ChatON (like iMessage, but unlike the closed and proprietary Apple, ChatON will work on all phones including iPhones. Thanks Samsung.) Also it can initiate WebEx with one click to someone so they can see your screen or a slide on your phone. You can collaborate on a whiteboard as well with the S Pen. Neat.

No wonder Apple is scared of Samsung.

Chuck it has enormous battery. Standard battery, Li-on 2,500 mAh. Also I read somewhere it's removable. (Always cool. Can get an extended one if need be.)

http://www.samsung.com/global/micros...note/spec.html

Great, thanks!

Quote:

Also the GPS has Glonass! I can't believe that! Any GIS people here do you know if phones use WAAS by the way? Anyhow this means it's more accurate, using Russian satellites as well. I just wish it had a camera button.

Now that is SERIOUSLY COOL! Especially since the GPS satellites will start dropping out of the sky in 2 years. And there's no backup, replacement or follow-up plan for GPS: no money. Already the system is running on 25 satellites, while it should have 28 operational.

So if we rely totally on GPS we won't have a functioning nav system in about 2/3 years time anymore.

That the Samsung Note can run both GPS and Glonass means it will most probably also be able to run the forthcoming Chinese and EU offerings: Baidu and Galileo. Or the satnav systems Japan, India, Brasil, and Australia are planning.

They all will have one thing in common: they will not be controlled by the US DoD!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Observe how you use your iPhone/smartphone. And how others do it. You will see that 95% of the time iPhones/smartphones are used as a mini-tablet. Not as a phone. So it had better be a good mini-tablet, right? Standard iPhone/smartphones with 4" screens are of course puny and far from ideal for use as a mini-tablet. Enter the Samsung Note with its huge 5.3" screen, a whopping battery, and a dual core 1.4Ghz CPU (like in MBAs). Obviously that is going to be one very capable, very mobile mini-tablet! And that is what iPhones/smartphones are overwhelmingly used for IRL!

Of course making and receiving calls with that slab against your ear looks funny (only because we aren't used to it). That is where a Bluetooth ear/mic piece will prove very useful. You can simply leave your mini-tablet in your pocket or purse, and out of sight!

Right now the Samsung Note (specs) is the top candidate as a replacement for my Nexus One, although I'll be watching closely what other smartphone models will be announced, of course.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parttimer View Post

... and a dual core 1.4Ghz CPU (like in MBAs)...

So you're comparing an ARM chip to an i5 as if they were similar ???