Court documents allege Google's Andy Rubin conceived of Android while at Apple

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post

i'm not a homophobe. i'm just describing Andy Rubin.

You obviously feel that being gay is a pretty bad thing since you intended to be an insult to Andy Rubin.\

Both Google and Apple are influenced by other successful companies. What's the surprise? Steve Jobs found the inspiration for the iPod after visiting with Sony and receiving one of their music players as a gift. Hyundai found the inspiration for their VeraCruz and Genesis vehicles from Lexus, admitting that the RX350 was was replicated.in their big SUV. Even the latest iOS version found inspiration for several features from Android.

http://9to5mac.com/2011/09/02/taking...e-to-your-ear/

If any business fails to get inspiration from things their competitors do, I suggest that business has a closed sign on the front door.
  • Reply 22 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GalaxyTab View Post

Homophobe? The CEO of one of the most successful companies on this planet is Gay.

Guess which company that would be?

Microsoft? Ballmer is sooooo gay!

Facebook?
  • Reply 23 of 57
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Microsoft? Ballmer is sooooo gay!

Facebook?

You forgot the sarcasm tag. Waaay lower in the alphabet.

It's really no big deal anymore and rarely an issue, particularly in the arts, architecture, and IT. Thankfully we're slowly digging out from some of our less than desirable hangups and it's helped by high profile individuals who aren't afraid of who they are.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...im-cook-gay-it
  • Reply 24 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You forgot the sarcasm tag. Waaay lower in the alphabet.

It's really no big deal anymore and rarely an issue, particularly in the arts, architecture, and IT. Thankfully we're slowly digging out from some of our less than desirable hangups and it's helped by high profile individuals who aren't afraid of who they are.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...im-cook-gay-it

Post of the day in my book.
  • Reply 25 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

... but the title of this article as well as the paragraph I've quoted that sums it up are quite inaccurate.

Strongly agree.

Quote:

I think Andy Rubin seems to be quite the turd

I'm fascinated how one can make such a characterization based on what one reads on the internet. It's pointless, baseless, guaranteed to be wrong and speaks more about the character assassin than the target. Why not stay on facts and objective observations, which you are not bad at? Whether he made liberal use of IP from Sun and Apple or not, Rubin has created quite the body of work at Apple, General Magic, MSN, Danger and Android. He should be respected and not criticized by those who cannot hold a candle to his accomplishments. Surely it is possible to love Apple products and still respect what others have achieved?

Quote:

What Apple is actually alleging is that HTC is misrepresenting Rubin's work history as it relates to the devolvement of Android, and that it's *possible* that his work at Apple had something to do with his inspiration.

This is not just addressed at PP. It's quite the stretch for anyone to say Rubin conceived Android at Apple. He left Apple in 1992, when the Linux Kernel was just released (and I don't interpret that this is what Apple is insinuating). Was Rubin so prescient as to invent a smartphone OS based on a nascent Unix derivative? If so, then he should be credited for brilliance (even more) and not trashed.
  • Reply 26 of 57
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 27 of 57
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 28 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Dude, what year do you think this is?

In a world where some people still expect African Americans to sit in the back of the bus, I guess such bigotry shouldn't be surprising....

Again. Im not a homophobe. Im just describing Andy Rubin.

He is in fact the dumb, ugly and gay version of Steve Jobs.

Is like me saying, Chuck Norris is the white, tall and hairy version of Bruce Lee.

See?
  • Reply 29 of 57
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    The guy gets an idea for an open source operating system while working as a low-level engineer at Apple, and suddenly this is PROOF POSITIVE that Android is a direct copy of iOS.

So I guess since everyone agrees this is sound logic, then they would agree that any idea formed by any employee is then property of the corporation they work for, clearly.

I work as a software developer, and I design medical software. I guess this means ANY idea I have for new medical software must CLEARLY be copied from the company I work for?

The simple fact is Apple sees Android getting better, they see their competition closing in on them, so they are resorting to whatever they can to stifle competition, and all of you just go along with whatever insane nonsense they present. YEAH, ROUNDED CORNERS = DIRECT COPY! duhhhhh
  • Reply 30 of 57
    Quote:

Dude, what year do you think this is?

In a world where some people still expect African Americans to sit in the back of the bus, I guess such bigotry shouldn't be surprising....

The guy's named is FriedLobster. Clearly he's not working on all cylinders. WHO FRIES LOBSTER I MEAN SERIOUSLY Steam it, boil it, or broil it, but for the love of God don't bread it up and deep fry it like some KFC
  • Reply 31 of 57
    Quote:

Again. Im not a homophobe. Im just describing Andy Rubin.

He is in fact the dumb, ugly and gay version of Steve Jobs.

Is like me saying, Chuck Norris is the white, tall and hairy version of Bruce Lee.

See?

dumb = negative

ugly = negative

You used gay as a negative trait, when in fact it's a neutral trait. Someone's sexual orientation doesn't make them better or worse than anyone else.

If you had said dumb ugly FAT version of Steve Jobs, that would make more sense, because it would have followed the two negative characteristics with another negative characteristic.

Your Chuck Norris example is just you back pedaling, and trying to draw a parallel between a neutral comment, and your bigoted comment.

Bigotry stems from ignorance, so I'm not surprised you don't understand why your comment was bigoted.
  • Reply 32 of 57
    Quote:

+1000 Insightful

Man, that should be a banner at the top of every forum page here.

agreed
  • Reply 33 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

This revelation kills any chance of a defence based on claiming the idea came up from a "clean room".

Revelation? What revelation? That he got the idea at some point in his life!?

There's no proof he saw what Apple was doing with their mobile OS and copied it for Android. He simply got the idea WHILE working at Apple, and sorry, but an open source multi-platform mobile operating system capable of being ran on many different devices from many different carriers IS NOT AT ALL WHAT IOS IS OR WHAT APPLE WAS GOING FOR

Absolute willful ignorance displayed on your part here.
  • Reply 34 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

dumb = negative

ugly = negative

You used gay as a negative trait, when in fact it's a neutral trait. Someone's sexual orientation doesn't make them better or worse than anyone else.

If you had said dumb ugly FAT version of Steve Jobs, that would make more sense, because it would have followed the two negative characteristics with another negative characteristic.

Your Chuck Norris example is just you back pedaling, and trying to draw a parallel between a neutral comment, and your bigoted comment.

Bigotry stems from ignorance, so I'm not surprised you don't understand why your comment was bigoted.

to be fair, in common usage 'gay' has taken on a third meaning that isn't homosexual or happy.

granted I doubt he was implying that third meaning but still.
  • Reply 35 of 57
    Quote:

The guy gets an idea for an open source operating system while working as a low-level engineer at Apple, and suddenly this is PROOF POSITIVE that Android is a direct copy of iOS.

May I suggest you do a little homework before you post? That is not even remotely close to the claimed infringement. You just guessed what it's about, granted, you aren't the only one. I'll save everyone that's "too lazy" to read up: it's essentially about Apple's "data detectors". It was a feature of OS 8 back in 1997.
  • Reply 36 of 57
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Revelation? What revelation? That he got the idea at some point in his life!?

There's no proof he saw what Apple was doing with their mobile OS and copied it for Android. He simply got the idea WHILE working at Apple, and sorry, but an open source multi-platform mobile operating system capable of being ran on many different devices from many different carriers IS NOT AT ALL WHAT IOS IS OR WHAT APPLE WAS GOING FOR

Absolute willful ignorance displayed on your part here.

Nope, except for specific patent they are being sued over.

The DOUBT that Rubin DIDN'T have ANY knowledge of the code in question should be enough to kill any "clean room" defence.

Made even worse by HTC attempting to hide this FACT from the court.
  • Reply 37 of 57
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Nope, except for specific patent they are being sued over.

The DOUBT that Rubin DIDN'T have ANY knowledge of the code in question should be enough to kill any "clean room" defence.

Made even worse by HTC attempting to hide this FACT from the court.

Considering Clean Room is rarely (if ever) used in patent defense cases, not to mention the fact that 1) Andy Rubin is not on trial (or employed by HTC) 2) No one is charging Andy Rubin with anything.

But then again, why let pesky things like logic and common sense get in the way of a good rage fest? I mean, if you scream loud enough defending Apple, surely Saint Apple will bless you with those gifts you've been praying for. I mean, why else would you be so single minded?
  • Reply 38 of 57
    Quote:

dumb = negative

ugly = negative

Look, one of my cousin's gay and i love him dearly.

Again that wasn't a homophobic statement. I just added "gay" to further highlight the fact that Steve and Andy Rubin are two very different indivuduals.. and i admit, maybe i added "gay" to be funny.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Tim Cook and he's gay ok??? so don't accuse me of being homophobic.
  • Reply 39 of 57
    Quote:

The guy's named is FriedLobster. Clearly he's not working on all cylinders. WHO FRIES LOBSTER I MEAN SERIOUSLY Steam it, boil it, or broil it, but for the love of God don't bread it up and deep fry it like some KFC

ROFL!!!
  • Reply 40 of 57
    Quote:

Look, one of my cousin's gay and i love him dearly.

Again that wasn't a homophobic statement. I just added "gay" to further highlight the fact that Steve and Andy Rubin are two very different indivuduals.. and i admit, maybe i added "gay" to be funny.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Tim Cook and he's gay ok??? so don't accuse me of being homophobic.

All this explanation and yet you can't bring yourself to retract the derogatory statement. Look, I'll show you - I shouldn't have written that.

See how easy it is?