Apple manufacturers reportedly assembling iPhone 5 ahead of October launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new report claims Apple manufacturers Foxconn and Pegatron have begun producing the hardware for Apple's next-generation iPhone in preparation for the finalized version of iOS 5, which is rumored to arrive in time for an early October launch in the U.S. and a late October launch in Asia.

Japanese Mac site Macotakara cites a "Chinese source" as saying that the two OEM manufacturers have started assembling Apple's so-called iPhone 5, with Foxconn bearing 85 percent of the load and Pegatron taking on a 15 percent share.

However, the devices are reportedly being stocked without packaging because Apple is not ready to install iOS 5 on them.

The report inferred from its source that the iPhone 5 will be ready to launch by early October, adding that the handset would arrive in Asia in late October or early November.

The publication has a hit-or-miss track record with Apple predictions. For instance, in May, it reported that a SIM-less iPhone 5 would arrive by early August.

Mac Otakara's most recent information does however fall in line with a separate report from last month that claimed Pegatron would begin shipping the iPhone 5 in September. Earlier this year, it was claimed that Pegatron would supply 15 million next-generation iPhones, but that number has since been dropped down to 10 million. Assuming that Pegatron's 15 percent share of the iPhone production load is accurate, a 10 million unit order for the manufacturer would leave Foxconn with a 57 million unit order.

AppleInsider reported in August that Apple's long-time advertising agency TBWA/Chiat Day has begun work on a television spots for the smartphone, which will reportedly finish up in early October. Several other reports have also pointed to an October release.

Apple's next iPhone is expected to take advantage of the A5 processor and sport an 8-megapixel camera. The device is also rumored to be thinner and smaller with curved sides differing from those of the iPhone 4.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 74
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    C'mon Apple!! bring it!!

A5 Processor

More Ram so some apps don't crash out

Improved Front & Back Camera

Bigger Screen 4"+ screen

Longer lasting Home Button (iPhone 4 sucks and breaks down after months of use)

Fixed Antenna issues

iOS5 + iCloud Syncing

Longer Battery Life

....Then I'm sold and will upgrade my iPhone4 immediately

Oh and there's one more thing - If Steve could walk on that stage again and intro the iPhone 5 with his smoove delivery then it's Happy Days!
  • Reply 2 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by simtub View Post

C'mon Apple!! bring it!!

Longer Battery Life

i had to disable multitasking to get amazing battery life and avoid breaking home button. Maybe if multitasking gestures are enabled, like on the ipad, then i'll use it.

but perhaps make it two or three finger swipe, since 4 is too hard to do on iphone.
  • Reply 3 of 74
    I am looking forward to the new iCloud features for iOS Apps and iTunes, plus Airplay Mirroring of iPad 2 and AppleTV.

People don't realize yet the power of iOS Apps saving documents in the iCloud and automagically updating different devices. This will put iOS devices another 3 to 5 years ahead of the competition.

Time will tell.
  • Reply 4 of 74
    Sooner the better as far as I'm concerned. My day one bought 3GS sells on eBay this evening. I was banking on the resale prices of 3GS crashing when Apple holds it's early September iOS event: which is missing in action. My iPad 2 and an old Samsung feature phone are poised to provide cover duty though.
  • Reply 5 of 74
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by simtub View Post

C'mon Apple!! bring it!!

A5 Processor

The current A5 is too hot for a cell phone so I expect at the very least a process shrunk version. A Low Power A5 if you will. However the chip could be more than that, possibly an A6. In the end if Apple can deliver a 20nm chip it would be a solid step ahead for Apple.

Quote:

More Ram so some apps don't crash out

RAM will help but bug fixes would help even more.

Quote:

Improved Front & Back Camera

Bigger Screen 4"+ screen

The camera I don't care about. However a big screen would be very nice.

Quote:

Longer lasting Home Button (iPhone 4 sucks and breaks down after months of use)

What are you doing with your iPhone that the button wears out? This is the first I've heard of an issue here.

Quote:

Fixed Antenna issues

It has been shown again and again that iPhone 4 has one of the best antenna systems of any cell phone. Just hold it right . In any event you do rrealize that all antennas interact with their environment, it is a reality of physics.

Quote:

iOS5 + iCloud Syncing

I'm hoping iCloud lives up to the hype. If not IOS5 will be very useful in it's own right, but it won't be as compelling.

Quote:

Longer Battery Life

Yeah another personal frustration! It is one of the reasons I'm hoping for a process shrunk version of A5.

Quote:

....Then I'm sold and will upgrade my iPhone4 immediately

Oh and there's one more thing - If Steve could walk on that stage again and intro the iPhone 5 with his smoove delivery then it's Happy Days!

I'd like to see Steve do that but I'm not sure it is realistic. Even if his health is good Steve and Apple need to show investors that a solid transition has taken place.
  • Reply 6 of 74
    Let's just get something straight - the iPhone 5 will be out in October. There. Done.
  • Reply 7 of 74
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

What are you doing with your iPhone that the button wears out? This is the first I've heard of an issue here.

It is quite a common problem with the iPhone 4 (https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0)

Mine is intermittent and I put off getting it sorted, now out of warranty. It goes through phases of working fine for days then it'll be a right pain for a few hours. Not sure it is hardware or software, various opinions on that.
  • Reply 8 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lukei View Post

It is quite a common problem with the iPhone 4 (https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0)

Mine is intermittent and I put off getting it sorted, now out of warranty. It goes through phases of working fine for days then it'll be a right pain for a few hours. Not sure it is hardware or software, various opinions on that.

Mine home button has been playing up and intermittent for a while now to the point of considering trying to get a store appointment to get it looked at...

I followed your link to the Apple discussions article, tried the "hoover up the butt" suggested fix and so far it would appear to have fixed the issue

Looks like there is some credence to the theory that the gaping hole that is the dock connector lets dust and crud in the bottom that interferes with the home button...
  • Reply 9 of 74
    oflifeoflife Posts: 120member
    Although an Apple user myself, I am surprised that Apple fan bois, as in those will be buy Apple simply because it is Apple, tend to stick their heads in the sand.

This week, Samsung launched what is without any doubt the most useful and imaginative mobile phone ever, the Galaxy Note. Unlike iOS devices, that no matter what anyone says, are useless for content creation of creative 'on the fly' notes, sketches etc, a stylus operated device is naturally intuitive.

If iPhone 5 is simply a tool to bleed users of cash in return for apps or NFC purchased lattés, then it may not sell as well as less expensive yet more versatile Android offerings.

Times are hard, and people want to think and create themselves out of austerity. Only a stylus operated device offers this.

Apple, are you listening?

END

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new report claims Apple manufacturers Foxconn and Pegatron have begun producing the hardware for Apple's next-generation iPhone in preparation for the finalized version of iOS 5, which is rumored to arrive in time for an early October launch in the U.S. and a late October launch in Asia.

Japanese Mac site Macotakara cites a "Chinese source" as saying that the two OEM manufacturers have started assembling Apple's so-called iPhone 5, with Foxconn bearing 85 percent of the load and Pegatron taking on a 15 percent share.

However, the devices are reportedly being stocked without packaging because Apple is not ready to install iOS 5 on them.

The report inferred from its source that the iPhone 5 will be ready to launch by early October, adding that the handset would arrive in Asia in late October or early November.

The publication has a hit-or-miss track record with Apple predictions. For instance, in May, it reported that a SIM-less iPhone 5 would arrive by early August.

Mac Otakara's most recent information does however fall in line with a separate report from last month that claimed Pegatron would begin shipping the iPhone 5 in September. Earlier this year, it was claimed that Pegatron would supply 15 million next-generation iPhones, but that number has since been dropped down to 10 million. Assuming that Pegatron's 15 percent share of the iPhone production load is accurate, a 10 million unit order for the manufacturer would leave Foxconn with a 57 million unit order.

AppleInsider reported in August that Apple's long-time advertising agency TBWA/Chiat Day has begun work on a television spots for the smartphone, which will reportedly finish up in early October. Several other reports have also pointed to an October release.

Apple's next iPhone is expected to take advantage of the A5 processor and sport an 8-megapixel camera. The device is also rumored to be thinner and smaller with curved sides differing from those of the iPhone 4.

• Reply 10 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

Although an Apple user myself, I am surprised that Apple fan bois, as in those will be buy Apple simply because it is Apple, tend to stick their heads in the sand.

This week, Samsung launched what is without any doubt the most useful and imaginative mobile phone ever, the Galaxy Note. Unlike iOS devices, that no matter what anyone says, are useless for content creation of creative 'on the fly' notes, sketches etc, a stylus operated device is naturally intuitive.

If iPhone 5 is simply a tool to bleed users of cash in return for apps or NFC purchased lattés, then it may not sell as well as less expensive yet more versatile Android offerings.

Times are hard, and people want to think and create themselves out of austerity. Only a stylus operated device offers this.

Apple, are you listening?

END

I would say that by now, it should be clear enough to anyone, including people like yourself calling other people 'fanboy', that 'serious content creation' and using a stylus is not what people want. You know how a tablet could be great for productivity? If you attached a keyboard to it, and a mouse, and a bigger screen, and a desktop OS. It's called a laptop. How many failed 'productivity tablets' does it take for you to realize that people buy tablets mainly for web and mail, media consumption, fun, casual note-taking, twittering, that kind of stuff?

That said, why are you even comparing the next iPhone with a 7.7" tablet?
  • Reply 11 of 74
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    I really really want / need a Bigger Screen, even if resolution doesn't change. Reading Information on iPhone such as stocks and other bits is starting to hurt my eyes.

I am pretty sure Apple could get additional billions of sales if they just had ONE more Bigger Screen iPhone.

4.2" Would be nice

Edit: I think IFA has show an answer from Samsung, They are not quitting Smartphone market. ( And they are attacking it aggressively ) Which basically means Apple will be pulling All business from Samsung ASAP.
  • Reply 12 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post

That said, why are you even comparing the next iPhone with a 7.7" tablet?

Galaxy Note is 5.3" fitting in the Dell Streak category of doesn't quite fit in your pocket/hand and not big enough to do real work.
  • Reply 13 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Edit: I think IFA has show an answer from Samsung, They are not quitting Smartphone market. ( And they are attacking it aggressively ) Which basically means Apple will be pulling All business from Samsung ASAP.

Samsung are one of the largest semiconductor, Flash memory and other electronics component manufacturers in the world. It is frequently first to market with new technology in discrete level components. Apple filing patent suits and seeing other competition from Samsung products is one thing, dropping them as a supplier is another. However as Apple move more and more into their own SoC solution they can gradually make that transition, even then making your own memory (Flash or DRAM) is a challenge from a financial point of view even with Apple volumes.
  • Reply 14 of 74
    shompashompa Posts: 343member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The current A5 is too hot for a cell phone so I expect at the very least a process shrunk version. A Low Power A5 if you will. However the chip could be more than that, possibly an A6. In the end if Apple can deliver a 20nm chip it would be a solid step ahead for Apple.

RAM will help but bug fixes would help even more.

The camera I don't care about. However a big screen would be very nice.

It has been shown again and again that iPhone 4 has one of the best antenna systems of any cell phone. Just hold it right . In any event you do rrealize that all antennas interact with their environment, it is a reality of physics.

I'm hoping iCloud lives up to the hype. If not IOS5 will be very useful in it's own right, but it won't be as compelling.

Yeah another personal frustration! It is one of the reasons I'm hoping for a process shrunk version of A5.

I'd like to see Steve do that but I'm not sure it is realistic. Even if his health is good Steve and Apple need to show investors that a solid transition has taken place.

Iphone 4 button is wrongly designed.

I have changed 4 iPhones since it stops working. Yes. I use multitasking.

A5 is not to hot for the iPhone even if its processed in 40nm. Other ARM manufactures have dual core ARMS 1.2-1.5ghz at the same power envelope that Apple uses.

28nm A5 is technically impossible since no one can produce them. TSMC will have less then 1% revenue from 28nm in Q4. An educated guess is that 1% won't be enough for Apple/AMD and Nvida who all have 28nm products in the pipeline.

iCloud is a great gimmick.

To bad that Apple is selling its phones outside USA. When will iCloud be rolled out outside USA and Canada?

It is also ironic that USA have one of the most expensive data planes for phones. I pay 5 dollars for 5 gig. When the cap is hit, it throttles down to 384kbit per second. Enough for stream music.

AT&T have problem with bandwidth today, how will it be with millions of iCloud devices?

I worked at Ericsson that delivers 3G base stations. AT & T have 1/3 of the cell density that is recommended. No wonder that US have problem with dropped calls and high data prices. At the same time AT&T have extreme profits, because they save on infrastructure.
  • Reply 15 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

iCloud is a great gimmick.

To bad that Apple is selling its phones outside USA. When will iCloud be rolled out outside USA and Canada?

iCloud works fine in Europe, iTunes match is US only so far but I suspect that is a licensing/label issue not an Apple technical problem per se.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

I worked at Ericsson that delivers 3G base stations. AT & T have 1/3 of the cell density that is recommended. No wonder that US have problem with dropped calls and high data prices. At the same time AT&T have extreme profits, because they save on infrastructure.

Cell phone coverage in the US sucks even in big cities, might show a signal but making a call is hard work at times.
  • Reply 16 of 74
    oflifeoflife Posts: 120member
    I'm not, the Samsung Galaxy Note has a 5.3" display, and having used a 5" Dell Streak, that screen size is almost the ideal. Perfect for reading eBooks, fits in the pocket, allows you to share content in the same way the iPad makes possible, easier to type on on screen keyboard in portrait orientation. Etc.

Apple are not innovating quickly enough - we have to wait many years for each iteration and this will hit them i 2012 unless they listen to the other 90% of the market. Stylus devices have not failed - the Sony Ericsson P9XX series phones were superb, and only killed off because SE lost the ball for a while. (And were saved by Android.)

Prior to that, the Palm and Handspring devices were superb and very popular. iPhone is ONLY popular for ONE reason - iTunes. It allowed people to take their music with them, without needing two devices.

(Hence, you see less well off students on the train with Blackberry in one hand and iPod Touch in the other...)

• Reply 17 of 74
    Obviously one manufacturer is making a budget phone whilst the other the iPhone 5.

If they went for cheaper secondary chips maybe it is the new A5 that is the cause of the delay.
  • Reply 18 of 74
    Quote:

iPhone is ONLY popular for ONE reason - iTunes. It allowed people to take their music with them, without needing two devices.

(Hence, you see less well off students on the train with Blackberry in one hand and iPod Touch in the other...)

Not correct in my opinion, the Appstore made the iPhone.

Quote:

Stylus devices have not failed the Sony Ericsson P9XX series phones were superb, and only killed off because SE lost the ball for a while

Or perhaps because they didn't sell in sufficient volumes?

Blackberry BBM is the key to their success in the PAYG market, it is why they are so popular with under 25s. Also popular with corporates who have staff in global locations and/or roam frequently.

iMessage may or may not get enough traction to displace this, one of the issues it has is that you may end up paying for the SMS message if you and/or the receiving party do not have data at the time of sending. With BBM you know for sure it will go by data even if the receipt is delayed.
  • Reply 19 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

Let's just get something straight - the iPhone 5 will be out in October. There. Done.

....which is why we need a story every day.....

05-Sep = Assembly plants report putting iphone 5 in boxes to be shipped.

06-Sep = Assembly plants report putting shipping labels on boxes to be shipped.

etc....etc...

Cuz none of us can figure out the whole life-cycle of an iphone.
  • Reply 20 of 74
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,630member
    Of course it will have an A5. The A5 processor in the iPad might be too hot for the iPhone, but don't you think they will redesign it (underclock it, reduce power consumption) to use less power for the iPhone? duH!

My home button is OK after 14 months of use. Maybe I don't use it enough?

Bring on iCloud. No more syncing via cable. No more cross-syncing to my iPad to transfer pics or notes.

More interesting is what the new iPod touch will look like and what will happen to the iPhone 4 as it replaces the 3GS in the under $99 market. Will it be faster than the iPhone4 is now or not? Also, will there be an even cheaper iPhone for the prepaid market?