Apple manufacturers reportedly assembling iPhone 5 ahead of October launch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Japanese Mac site Macotakara cites a "Chinese source" as saying that the two OEM manufacturers have started assembling Apple's so-called iPhone 5, with Foxconn bearing 85 percent of the load and Pegatron taking on a 15 percent share.

However, the devices are reportedly being stocked without packaging because Apple is not ready to install iOS 5 on them.

The report inferred from its source that the iPhone 5 will be ready to launch by early October, adding that the handset would arrive in Asia in late October or early November.

The publication has a hit-or-miss track record with Apple predictions. For instance, in May, it reported that a SIM-less iPhone 5 would arrive by early August.

I think we can safely predict this will be a *hit*. How could manufacturing not have started already?
  • Reply 22 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

Prior to that, the Palm and Handspring devices were superb and very popular. iPhone is ONLY popular for ONE reason - iTunes. It allowed people to take their music with them, without needing two devices.

(Hence, you see less well off students on the train with Blackberry in one hand and iPod Touch in the other...)

How are these students "less well off" if they can afford two not-so-cheap gadgets?

ITunes is the ONLY reason iPhone is popular? Then please explain the popularity of the iPad. Surely, that's not for carrying music around? Or do people have iPhone in one hand and iPad in the other so as to get iTunes in stereo?

• Reply 23 of 74
    iPhone 4S. A5 chip, redesigned antenna, same screen and form factor for the most part.

iPhone 5 next year will be the real overhaul.

The addition of Sprint and maybe T-Mobile will be the big news.
  • Reply 24 of 74
    Quote:

I'm not, the Samsung Galaxy Note has a 5.3" display, and having used a 5" Dell Streak, that screen size is almost the ideal. Perfect for reading eBooks, fits in the pocket, allows you to share content in the same way the iPad makes possible, easier to type on on screen keyboard in portrait orientation. Etc.

Apple are not innovating quickly enough - we have to wait many years for each iteration and this will hit them i 2012 unless they listen to the other 90% of the market. Stylus devices have not failed - the Sony Ericsson P9XX series phones were superb, and only killed off because SE lost the ball for a while. (And were saved by Android.)

Prior to that, the Palm and Handspring devices were superb and very popular. iPhone is ONLY popular for ONE reason - iTunes. It allowed people to take their music with them, without needing two devices.

(Hence, you see less well off students on the train with Blackberry in one hand and iPod Touch in the other...)

you're kind of annoying...everything you're saying is....off topic.

Who cares what Samsung is doing in an iPhone 5/4S thread?
  • Reply 25 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

People should be able to spend their money on things that they want without being labeled "fanbois" or any derogatory name. This includes wanting to buy the iPhone.

That said:

Like most people who posts on websites just to get a rise out of someone, perhaps he has no life and simply wants attention?

http://celestinechua.com/blog/dealin...ergy-vampires/

"Like vampires, negative people are incapable of generating their life force. Hence they feed off the energy of others.

Vampires convert living beings into their kind because they feel lonely living in solitude. Similarly, negative people likes to pull others on board. Misery loves company."

This pretty much sums up the root cause of troll behavior.
  • Reply 26 of 74
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

However, the devices are reportedly being stocked without packaging because Apple is not ready to install iOS 5 on them.

Wait, so Apple just plugs new iPhones into iTunes and restores then with iOS5? It doesn't just have an image on the flash chip that is installed? Does it have 60 million PCs with iTunes lying around? Must be why they allow virtualization of Lion, huh? Sounds legit.
  • Reply 27 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bonklers View Post

i had to disable multitasking to get amazing battery life and avoid breaking home button. Maybe if multitasking gestures are enabled, like on the ipad, then i'll use it.

but perhaps make it two or three finger swipe, since 4 is too hard to do on iphone.

How about a simply capacitive home button...
  • Reply 28 of 74
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    Quote:

A new report claims Apple manufacturers Foxconn and Pegatron have begun producing the hardware for Apple's next-generation iPhone in preparation for the finalized version of iOS 5, which is rumored to arrive in time for an early October launch in the U.S. and a late October launch in Asia.

A lot of problems with this sentence, especially bad since it it the lead.

1- Foxconn produces the final product, the iPhone itself not "hardware for the next gen?" The phrase "producing the hardware for?" implies they are producing components for the iPhone.

1b- So if they are not producing the hardware for the iPhone, are they receiving or stockpiling or assembling?

2- Why is "next generation iPhone" a "preparation for ?iOS 5"?? The two are tangentially related. Foxconn and Pegatron assemble phones - they have nothing to do with the iOS. You are insinuating that the new iPhone will be required to run iOS 5, which is not true.

3- So what is rumored to arrive in early Oct? The new iPhone or iOS 5? Grammatically it is only iOS 5 that is rumored to arrive in Oct.

Of course we all figured out what you intended to say, but this sentence does not live up to AI's usual standards of grammar.

You need a proofreader.
  • Reply 29 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

Sooner the better as far as I'm concerned. My day one bought 3GS sells on eBay this evening. I was banking on the resale prices of 3GS crashing when Apple holds it's early September iOS event: which is missing in action. My iPad 2 and an old Samsung feature phone are poised to provide cover duty though.

Unlikely to crash as the 3GS will run iOS 5 and uses a standard SIM card...which is perfect for a GoPhone. I sold both my 3GS phones to folks who now use them as GoPhones.
  • Reply 30 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post

I would say that by now, it should be clear enough to anyone, including people like yourself calling other people 'fanboy', that 'serious content creation' and using a stylus is not what people want. You know how a tablet could be great for productivity? If you attached a keyboard to it, and a mouse, and a bigger screen, and a desktop OS. It's called a laptop. How many failed 'productivity tablets' does it take for you to realize that people buy tablets mainly for web and mail, media consumption, fun, casual note-taking, twittering, that kind of stuff?

That said, why are you even comparing the next iPhone with a 7.7" tablet?

I would like to see a tablet, preferably an iOS tablet, that has true stylus support. Not the aftermarket crap sold today, but a true stylus like on a Wacom tablet and such. Why? For handwriting input. These tablets make nice textbooks and would work well as a note pad. I used a Thinkpad X61 for 2 years and it was great (other than bulk and weight - not a problem with the iPad) device. I ran Windows 7 and so I had access to MS's fantastic handwriting recognition software. I was able to write notes in English, Japanese and Korean by hand...which works so much better when learning Japanese.

If only Apple could see beyond the multitouch keyboard idea. Heck, sell the stylus through Apple as an extra so that those who don't want it don't pay for it. Of course the real problem is Apple doesn't have handwriting recognition software that is anyway close to that of Microsoft's. It is a shame too, but Jobs killed that idea 10 years ago.
  • Reply 31 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

iPhone 4S. A5 chip, iPhone 5 next year will be the real overhaul..

"4S"

"A5 chip"

UH HUH.
  • Reply 32 of 74
    oflifeoflife Posts: 120member
    As are you. And I am not off topic, I was replying to someone else.

As I said, Apple are not innovating fast enough. Do not compare 'innovation' to 'style'.

BTW, I'm typing this on a MacBook Pro, and also own an iPad 2 and an iPhone 1G.

But my original point was that the new Samsung Galaxy Note was/is probably the ultimate phone and Apple need to answer back. See where Apple are in 6 months to a year from now - if they do not capitalise on the huge amount of money they have to shake up 'computing' again.

I'm being devil's advocate, not a troll. I love Apple and prefer to buy their products if there is a choice, but if another vendor offers what I need, then I'l buy it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

• Reply 33 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

Let's just get something straight - the iPhone 5 will be out in October. There. Done.

Correction: the next generation iPhone will be out in October.

More than that, no one outside of Apple actually knows.
  • Reply 34 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

I really really want / need a Bigger Screen, even if resolution doesn't change. Reading Information on iPhone such as stocks and other bits is starting to hurt my eyes.

I am pretty sure Apple could get additional billions of sales if they just had ONE more Bigger Screen iPhone.

4.2" Would be nice

What the bigger screen folks don't realise is that there are a lot more people who would not buy a bigger iPhone than there are people who would.

If it has a giant 4" screen, is significantly bigger is size as a result, and has the curved back of the iPad as those case leaks from way back months ago suggested, a lot of people won't buy it. I sure wouldn't. They will cling to their nice, small, iPhone 4.

The current iPhone is big and bulky enough and the cured edges of the iPad are sharp on the fingers and make pressing the buttons and plugging it in far more difficult than the iPhone 4 or the previous iPad. Why would I want that? The current iPhone 4 is a slick, small, very professional looking device. A luxury item. to replace it with some cheap aluminium-backed mini-tablet would be a mistake IMO.

Why would a business person give up an iPhone 4 for something that looks like a iPod? You've got a fancy car, a fancy suit, and you're going to give up you're fancy steel and glass superphone for something that looks like a kids toy?

I still think that those dimensions are for the iPod touch, which would make sense since it's a gaming machine primarily. Apple is not going to ruin everyone's phone because of a few gamers or a small subset of fat people who want bigger screens.
  • Reply 35 of 74
    Quote:

As are you. And I am not off topic, I was replying to someone else.

As I said, Apple are not innovating fast enough. Do not compare 'innovation' to 'style'.

BTW, I'm typing this on a MacBook Pro, and also own an iPad 2 and an iPhone 1G.

But my original point was that the new Samsung Galaxy Note was/is probably the ultimate phone and Apple need to answer back. See where Apple are in 6 months to a year from now - if they do not capitalise on the huge amount of money they have to shake up 'computing' again.

I'm being devil's advocate, not a troll. I love Apple and prefer to buy their products if there is a choice, but if another vendor offers what I need, then I'l buy it.

Then just buy the other product and be done with it. Your point was lost when you used fanbois to describe people who do not see things the way you do. Yes you are entitled to your opinion, but so are others. Calling people fanbois just because they don't think like you is derogatory and condescending.

You can have your opinion, but please don't be condescending to others. The conversation stays intelligent this way.

If you want Apple to innovate faster, go ahead and text Tim Cook or write a long manifesto why innovation is important to Apple. Being a devil's advocate in what is essentially a rumour site is not going to you innovative shiny new toys anytime soon.
  • Reply 36 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

What the bigger screen folks don't realise is that there are a lot more people who would not buy a bigger iPhone than there are people who would.

Doth mine eyes deceive me?

Quote:

If it has a giant 4" screen, is significantly bigger is size as a result, and has the curved back of the iPad as those case leaks from way back months ago suggested, a lot of people won't buy it. I sure wouldn't. They will cling to their nice, small, iPhone 4.

To quote an Irish friend of mine (who's as stereotypical as they come), "Saints be praised! I found another 'a 4 inch screen is too fricking big' man!"

Okay, not a direct quote.

Quote:

The current iPhone 4 is a slick, small, very professional looking device. A luxury item. to replace it with some cheap aluminium-backed mini-tablet would be a mistake IMO. Why would a business person give up an iPhone 4 for something that looks like a iPod? You've got a fancy car, a fancy suit, and you're going to give up you're fancy steel and glass superphone for something that looks like a kids toy?

*dancing*

• Reply 37 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

iPhone 4S. A5 chip, redesigned antenna, same screen and form factor for the most part.

iPhone 5 next year will be the real overhaul.

No.

This year's handset will be called the iPhone 5. Why? Because Steve Jobs likes simplicity.

Apple will announce the iPhone 5, with the A5 chip, running iOS 5.
  • Reply 38 of 74
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Dude, A5 is gonna obliterate the competition. Now we just need 3.7inch screen and we are golden for another year.
  • Reply 39 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It has been shown again and again that iPhone 4 has one of the best antenna systems of any cell phone. Just hold it right . In any event you do rrealize that all antennas interact with their environment, it is a reality of physics.

Cmon, you cant be serious with this one. I do like apple but the antenna system in iPhone 4 is Apple's EPIC FAIL! I can replicate antenna problem whenever I want. In addition, I do not have signal in my house while my old iPhone 3G gets 3 bars. Stop bulls....g about the great antenna, because it is not. That is a fact which even Steve Jobs proved by providing free bumpers.
  • Reply 40 of 74
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

A lot of problems with this sentence, especially bad since it it the lead.

2- Why is "next generation iPhone" a "preparation for ?iOS 5"?? The two are tangentially related. Foxconn and Pegatron assemble phones - they have nothing to do with the iOS. You are insinuating that the new iPhone will be required to run iOS 5, which is not true.

I will grant you that you do actually explain this point later, but it is still confusing as written.

BTW - overall - a good article - thanks.