Samsung pulls Galaxy Tab 7.7 from German trade show after injunction

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A new injunction from a German court has prompted Samsung to cease promoting its newly-unveiled Galaxy Tab 7.7 tablet at the IFA consumer electronics show, providing another victory for Apple in its fierce legal battle against the company.

The South Korean electronics giant took the wraps off the Android-based 7.7-inch tablet at the trade show in Berlin on Friday, but all of the promotional materials for the device were quickly pulled after a Düsseldorf court filed a second injunction against the company.

Though it was initially unclear whether Samsung had pulled the tablet of its own accord or in response to a new injunction, a spokesman for the company eventually confirmed the court-ordered ban, as reported by Bloomberg.

?Samsung respects the court?s decision,? Chung said in a statement, noting that the electronics giant believes the ruling ?severely limits consumer choice in Germany.?

This is my next reports that Samsung has made use of sheets to cover up Galaxy Tab 7.7 posters in its booth on the IFA show floor. The publication also posted before and after pictures (below) of the booth. Samsung has turned its focus to promoting its Galaxy Note and Bada-based Wave 3 smartphones.

Patent expert Florian Mueller of FOSS Patents notes that Samsung has said it does not plan to sell the Galaxy Tab 7.7 in the U.S, speculating that the reason is "most likely also attributable to Apple's legal pressure."

The regional court of Düsseldorf banned the Galaxy Tab 10.1 throughout the European Union last month, though it later modified the injunction to apply to just Germany over concerns that it lacked the authority to impose an EU-wide ban. The court is due to issue a post-hearing decision on the tablet injunction on Sept. 9, 2011.

Meanwhile, a Netherlands judge blocked sales of Samsung's Galaxy smartphones in Europe in late August. Samsung has also held off on releasing the Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Australia after Apple won initial court victories against it. The company delay the device's launch until at least Sept. 30 while awaiting a formal hearing later this month.

Apple and Samsung are locked in a quickly escalating legal disagreement. The iPad maker alleges that Samsung has repeatedly and blatantly copied its smartphone and tablet designs. Apple has also accused the South Korean company of subverting the standardization process to obtain "ill-gotten monopoly power" with its patents.

For its part, Samsung claims it is simply competing in the marketplace. The company is also asserting its own counter-claims against Apple in a U.S. court.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 212
    Oh boy... here we go again...

Get at er...
  • Reply 2 of 212
    Apple will win some battles but will ultimately lose the war
  • Reply 3 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new injunction from a German court has prompted Samsung to cease promoting its newly-unveiled Galaxy Tab 7.7 tablet at the IFA consumer electronics show, providing another victory for Apple in its fierce legal battle against the company.

Other than a VERY few total geekazoids, nobody is going to know the substance of any of this lawsuit biz. All that they will know is that Apple and its lawyers are preventing them from having any choices in the market.

Very sad. Usually Apple is good at PR.
  • Reply 4 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

That's original...
  • Reply 5 of 212
    Quote:

Please elaborate.
  • Reply 6 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

All that they will know is that Apple and its lawyers are preventing them from having any choices in the market.

Hmmm... Option A: Apple poduct, or Option B: Samsung clone of Apple product. ... Yeah, LOTS of choices there.
  • Reply 7 of 212
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    that's too bad...

Competition is needed, even if the products are looking almost the same.
  • Reply 8 of 212
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by twoslick View Post

Hmmm... Option A: Apple poduct, or Option B: Samsung clone of Apple product. ... Yeah, LOTS of choices there.

Yap, a landscape use 7" tablet with a totally different os than iOS is a clone.
  • Reply 9 of 212
    Quote:

Yeah, Apple is Doomed. (30 million iPads later)
  • Reply 10 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

Please elaborate.

He means that Apple may win some individual patents, forcing Samsung (and other OEMs) to change aspects of their hardware or Android builds, but Apple will lose the most important patents and Android will be legally allowed to be a direct copy of iOS, looking absolutely identical to it down to the content of its icons.

And I believe that the world is stupid enough to allow that to happen, so I'm with him.
  • Reply 11 of 212
    I was watching the Samsung GT ad on the tube the other day... pvr'ed it... played it a few times. I didn't hear the word Android in the commercial. Ever.

Just stuff like... better... more... flash...

Samsung is truly trying to deceive people, imo, that the GT is the same as the iPad... but better.

I know plenty of people that would just assume that they can get the apps for the iPad on the GT because the only difference is that it is "better".
  • Reply 12 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2992 View Post

that's too bad...

Competition is needed, even if the products are looking almost the same.

All I want, in terms of "competition", is for some company, other than Apple, to take the tablet idea and turn it on it's head again. Come up with some new radical idea for an interface, some new way to access data, find some new ways to use it.

Jeez you want competition? That would be it right there.

Copy-tition is not competition. Sammy and the rest deserve to be flushed down the toilet unless they come up with their own way of presenting it. Fuck them.
  • Reply 13 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I know plenty of people that would just assume that they can get the apps for the iPad on the GT because the only difference is that it is "better".

Heck, I've SEEN people.

Them: I can't get these apps on my tablet.

Me: Those are iOS apps. Like for an iPad or iPhone. You have an Android tablet.

Them: But they're apps. The ad in the paper said this tablet can run apps, so I bought these from the App Store… What a RIPOFF! I want my money back for these apps!

Me:

Android tablet manufacturers:
  • Reply 14 of 212
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I was watching the Samsung GT ad on the tube the other day... pvr'ed it... played it a few times. I didn't hear the word Android in the commercial. Ever.

Just stuff like... better... more... flash...

Samsung is truly trying to deceive people, imo, that the GT is the same as the iPad... but better.

Is this the ad?
    If so, they did put the Android mascot/symbol at the end of the ad. But I'd think stating access to Android Market for apps would also be a selling point…or has Android Market still not accumulated many tablet-based apps.
  • Reply 15 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

He means that Apple may win some individual patents, forcing Samsung (and other OEMs) to change aspects of their hardware or Android builds, but Apple will lose the most important patents and Android will be legally allowed to be a direct copy of iOS, looking absolutely identical to it down to the content of its icons.

And I believe that the world is stupid enough to allow that to happen, so I'm with him.

By that time Apple will be onto the Next Big Thing, leaving the manufacturers and software companies with leftover scraps of a market saturated with iPads. Like the iPod. Apple will have already mined all the money there.
  • Reply 16 of 212
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Samsung used to copy NOKIA and RIM. These guy did nothing about it. Now it's Apple and all hell broke loose. I think all we need is Samsung to design a product of their own ..like Sony just did. Competition is good. We all want competition in design too.
  • Reply 17 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Is this the ad? If so, they did put the Android mascot/symbol at the end of the ad. But I'd think stating access to Android Market for apps would also be a selling point?or has Android Market still not accumulated many tablet-based apps.

• Reply 18 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

By that time Apple will be onto the Next Big Thing, leaving the manufacturers and software companies with leftover scraps of a market saturated with iPads. Like the iPod. Apple will have already mined all the money there.

So Apple will somehow invent a successor OS to iOS from scratch in less than a year?
  • Reply 19 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

OK, thanks for your honest input.
  • Reply 20 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Is this the ad?
    If so, they did put the Android mascot/symbol at the end of the ad. But I'd think stating access to Android Market for apps would also be a selling point?or has Android Market still not accumulated many tablet-based apps.

This is the ad... no Android anything... anywhere. Unless I missed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMW7xDM-XXI