I Paid $10 for a Dremel MultiPro at Home Depot

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I may be the only one that finds this entertaining. A story of cheap thrills.

I have wanted one for a while, but I'm stingy as hell and I never had enough use for it to justify the 50 to 80 dollar price tag. But I decided the other day that I was going to buy one.

All I wanted was the tool and some bits, which come in a kit for $50. The model I refer to is the one with a multi-setting potentiometric switch that enables the motor to run between 5000 and 35000 rpm. Not the battery powered model. But Home Depot didn't have any of the basic kit: all they had was the 80 dollar kit that included a bunch of extra stuff that I don't need.

I asked the guy there if they had any of the basic kits in the back, but he said no, and tried to sell me various different models and such, but I wasn't interested. Then he brings me into this closet, and shows me a really dusty, but new, $100 kit. The manager of the store used it to redo the grout in his bathroom at home, with plans to make it the demo model afterwards, but it got too dirty from the grout work, and it was just sitting around.

I bargained the guy down to $10. My receipt says that I bought a tube of dremel cutting disks for 9.97 . At home I cleaned it up with 409 spray and re-lubed & cleaned the motor and bearings. Everything else was in fine shape. Works like a champ, plus I get 50 dollars of add on parts and a case.

I guess the bottom line is that I used to hate Home Depot, but now I have a reason to go back.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Lol. Nice.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    You rock. That's a hell of a deal. I love Dremel tools! Hell, I love Home Depot.

I can just go there sometimes and cruise the aisles and be in heaven.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Dremel's rock.

I love my Dremel.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Home Depot (Shiver)

Uggh! Cheap shoddy products, Lowes too!

Anywho good job, and congrats for having a enjoyable experience at the store. I don't like Lowes or Home Depot mainly because I had to work as a vendor there and you get to see how they cut costs on power washers and such ($477 for the same model p. washer at the H.D. vs. $1130 for a power washer at a professional paint store, how you ask? "Think Plastic.").
  • Reply 5 of 5
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Dremels suck. I <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=10&t=001907"; target="_blank">ruined a hard drive</a> with a Dremel once...

[ 08-21-2002: Message edited by: murbot ]

[ 08-21-2002: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>