Samsung pulls Galaxy Tab 7.7 from German trade show after injunction

Comments

• Reply 101 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Mergers create a market close to that of a monopoly (aka oligopoly if it is with a few companies).

Both monopolies and oligopolies stifles competition and increases prices.

That is what the government is trying to protect, to keep competition flowing.

Perhaps, it is you who cant put 1 and 1 together.

"Mergers can create a market close to that of a monopoly"

A proposed 1960 merger of two supermarket chains, Von's and Shopping Bag, was ruled anti-competitive and tending towards a monopoly because the merged company would have something like 7% of the market.

"some illegal or unfair monopolies and oligopolies stifles competition and increases prices"

I would point out that IBM, in the 1960s - 1980s, had 97% of the maimframe computer market. This was clearly a monopoly. But it was found that it was neither illegal or unfair -- IBM had attained that position by (paraphrased): offering superior products, marketing and services.

• Reply 102 of 212
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

OMG. What incredible innovation. Look at that phone. The bottom row of icons above the home button has FIVE icons instead of FOUR like the iPhone. That is so innovative, no one could ever confuse it with an iPhone!

While some of those FEATURES look interesting, and maybe even innovative, it's truly embarrassing how much like an iPhone they made that phone look. Heck, even the little dots about the bottom row of icons.....

Yeah, because innovation to you is only skin deep. What goes behind the scene does'nt matter ( nor is it comprehensible for your kind)
  • Reply 103 of 212
    Quote:

Yeah, because innovation to you is only skin deep. What goes behind the scene does'nt matter ( nor is it comprehensible for your kind)

Do tell how this device is in any way 'innovative'. Love to hear that one.
  • Reply 104 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Thanks for the link, but that's still an unreleased device that appeared as a prototype after the supposed leak of the 5th generation iPhone leaks indicating an oval Home Button. It doesn't mean they is a correlation, but it does seem suspicious that these would only now be coming to the tech sites.

When did the the supposed leak of the 5th generation iPhone pics appear? There's this press release from Samsung on August 24th.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/24/s...trategy-along/

• Reply 105 of 212
    Quote:

Why send this thread off in that direction, by making a personal attack?
  • Reply 106 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You can read and comprehend things yourself. Your a big boy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Why send this thread off in that direction, by making a personal attack?

I want more people to participate in the discussion.
  • Reply 107 of 212
    Quote:

And YOU'RE incapable of explaining how Samsung is differentiating itself from Apple.

Don't blame YOURself, though. They're not actually trying to differentiate from Apple, so no one can explain that.

Arguments get thrown out when they have no supporting evidence. You don't want to provide any? Then you don't get to argue.
  • Reply 108 of 212
    Quote:

To be fair, the pressure sensitive stylus is a pretty original feature, albeit a liitle useless unless you actually intend to do drawing on it. Can't imagine it would be any better for taking notes than just typing, seeing that you'll run out of screen space within 4 words (been there, done that, with my nokia phone, which also had excellent handwriting recognition and a stylus).

That said, apart from the stylus thing, it's just a blown-up Galaxy S phone with an awkward form factor that the Dell Streak tried before, and that failed miserably. The innovation here may be a little more involved than skin-deep, but not a whole lot. Maybe if the Galaxy S was an innovative, unique product to begin with.

Coincidentally I just used a Galaxy S phone for the first time today by the way, and I was genuinely shocked how shitty it worked, except for the nice screen. The UI was horrible, choppier than my 3GS, I kept accidentally launching apps because of it, it hung for a few seconds intermittently, failed to recognize the unlock pattern half of the time, popped up confusing questions about terms and conditions I had to accept at least 3 times, complained about having to update stuff continuously, and when I tried to sync some music to it using Kies (which is as blatant of an iTunes ripoff as it gets, except 10 times shittier. I still can't wrap my head around how Android people can rag on iTunes, yet condone the Galaxy S software), it lost the connection to the phone every time the lock screen came up, only to reconnect after unplugging/replugging the USB cable. 10 minutes trying to set the thing up for a friend who didn't manage to get it working as advertised herself was enough to make me hate the thing.

I really, sincerely thought the Galaxy S was supposed to be one of the 'better' Android phones, one of them actually worth buying, but seeing how annoying, confusing, choppy and frustrating it was to do even the simplest things, especially compared to an almost 3 year old iPhone 3GS, was actually quite shocking, and I'm not saying this to start a flamewar.
  • Reply 109 of 212
    Quote:

The injunction on Galaxy Tab 7.7 can't stand. This tablet only weights 330 grams. iPad looks and feels like a brick compared to this. On the weight alone, not to mention the first-of-the-kind 1280x720 OLED display, this is the most innovative device of the year, bar none.
  • Reply 110 of 212
    Quote:

I want more people to participate in the discussion.

I did participate -- and also reported your post as a personal attack.
  • Reply 111 of 212
    Quote:

Two questions about that photo:

1. Why is someone attacking that iPhone with a pen?

2. Why is there a Samsung logo across the top of that iPhone? Are they making them now?
  • Reply 112 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brainless View Post

The injunction on Galaxy Tab 7.7 can't stand. This tablet only weights 330 grams. iPad looks and feels like a brick compared to this. On the weight alone, not to mention the first-of-the-kind 1280x720 OLED display, this is the most innovative device of the year, bar none.

AGAIN I have to use this image. I honestly can't tell if you people actually believe this tripe. I'm sorry, but I just find it fundamentally impossible to take this as anything but a joke.
  • Reply 113 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The company delay the device's launch

Today's typo!
  • Reply 114 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Two questions about that photo:

1. Why is someone attacking that iPhone with a pen?

2. Why is there a Samsung logo across the top of that iPhone? Are they making them now?

This is not iPhone. This device is 5''. Steve Jobs said they hit the sweet-spot with the display size and nobody wants bigger screen, thus there won't be bigger iPhone. Do you want to say Steve Jobs is liar ?

The device is also having operating system, that has some features, such as notification bar on the top, rich idle screen or over-the-air synchronization, that Apple is currently busy copying into their latest version of iOS, thus new iPhone, traditionally released in June, is still not ready.

Besides, you can keep attacking the device with your finger, if you prefer.
  • Reply 115 of 212
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sciwiz View Post

When did the the supposed leak of the 5th generation iPhone pics appear? There's this press release from Samsung on August 24th.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/24/s...trategy-along/

image: http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget....axy-berlin.jpg

I'm thinking about 6 months ago.

edit: At least a month before the Samsung future product announcement...
  • Reply 116 of 212
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brainless View Post

This is not iPhone. This device is 5''. Steve Jobs said they hit the sweet-spot with the display size and nobody wants bigger screen, thus there won't be bigger iPhone. Do you want to say Steve Jobs is liar ?

Why don't you point us to where Jobs stated or even implied there woul never be a larger iPhone. Go on! We'll wait.
  • Reply 117 of 212
    Quote:

And YOU'RE incapable of explaining how Samsung is differentiating itself from Apple.

Don't blame YOURself, though. They're not actually trying to differentiate from Apple, so no one can explain that.

Arguments get thrown out when they have no supporting evidence. You don't want to provide any? Then you don't get to argue.

I have already stated all the differentiating features of this phone/tablet on my prior posts.

No need for me to regurgitate.

If you refuse to read above, that is your problem.

No need for me to hand hold you.

I'm getting the impression that you are just...lazy.
  • Reply 118 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

Apple will win some battles but will ultimately lose the war

You mean like The Egyptians, The Mongols, The Romans, The Spaniards, The French, The English?

No one stays on top forever. So unless you are willing to give a more precise time frame, your prediction is not too impressive.
  • Reply 119 of 212
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post

Google is a one trick pony.

Google innovated ONCE. Their Search Engine.

Their acquisitions and other services like Youtube, Android, Motorola, Gmail etc. are either expensive strategic blunders or money-losing operations.

Don't forget they are also strategic anticompetitive purchases to prevent others from making ad revenue from these sources.
  • Reply 120 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Why don't you point us to where Jobs stated or even implied there woul never be a larger iPhone. Go on! We'll wait.

I already mentioned this. He talked about how they made iPhone perfect, and that no one would be interested in "giant" phone with 4+'' screen. Sure he never said "Apple will not create phone with display bigger that 3.6''", that would be stupid, but if his speech is not clear implication of this, I don't know what else is. Go look his keynote archive at Apple web page for the recordings of this.