Apple TV update adds support for streaming iTunes TV shows, Vimeo

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Big thing for me here is that this indicates that iCloud is getting extended to video sooner rather than later, which means I can stop worrying about the 2 terabytes of TV and movies I bought off Apple dying to a RAID-5 disaster. Better yet I can go and buy another 2 terabytes soon without having to worry about buying yet more storage.

Wow, you had a harddisc crash and don't have a (offsite) backup? That doesn't sound clever since it was filled with purchased, paid content. I understand you are one happy dude now!
  • Reply 62 of 73
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Wife keeps lecturing me that I do not need to back up the entire internet and every piece of media ever created.

But cloudgazer needs to backup as he lost purchased content. For your sake I hope you ignored your wifes' advise to not backup.
  • Reply 63 of 73
    crunchcrunch Posts: 180member
    Good stuff! I hope it will be like iTunes music where we can, for a $24.95 fee, upload all of our music and it becomes part of our iTunes library. Uploading TV shows (and maybe eventually movies as well) might be too much "cumbersome" for those who have less-than-1Mbps upload speeds.
  • Reply 64 of 73
    you must have been using an tv 1. the tv2 has not had the ability to purchase movies, music, or tv shows directly from the device since it was released.

unless apple sold you the super special one for super special people 8^)

this was in response to sierrajaf saying Wondering what I'm missing here - we've purchased both movies and TV shows directly from iTunes via our Apple TV on several occasions since we purchased it in early June. I know I'm not making this up...
  • Reply 65 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I'm not trying to pick on you because many people are making the same suggestion here but what a short-sighted xenophobic suggestion it is!

Wow - xenophobic. Never been called that before - let alone by someone who doesn't even know me.

Not to mention that the suggestion to buy something with a predominantly U.S. market presence is hardly "xenophobic", it's at most "U.S.-centric". Not at all the same thing.

Not to mention that it's been breaking out products in the U.S. market, from the first iPad on, that's allowed Apple to grow and innovate and expand. Yes I firmly believe that future growth lies best abroad (read: Asia), but given that Apple's sitting on more cash than the U.S. government (oh goddess - can I say that without sounding Amero-phobic?) maybe they can easily afford to take actions that aren't 100% fully pro-rata in ratio with their current international market shares.
  • Reply 66 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MagicFingers View Post

you must have been using an tv 1. the tv2 has not had the ability to purchase movies, music, or tv shows directly from the device since it was released.

unless apple sold you the super special one for super special people 8^)

No it's an ATV2 (aside - why do people assume you don't know what you're talking about? why, when I specifically mentioned having it for about 2 months and, internally, have some pretty stark memories about buying the ATV2 from the Apple store in June, would someone volunteer 'oh, you must have an ATV1'?).

Someone else clarified that what I was doing was renting, and accessing via homeshare, not outright purchasing.
  • Reply 67 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

Wondering what I'm missing here - we've purchased both movies and TV shows directly from iTunes via our Apple TV on several occasions since we purchased it in early June. I know I'm not making this up...

if i misunderstood you then fine, but your post says "directly from iTunes via apple tv"

which means you were "purchasing" on the apple tv not in iTunes on your computer.

I thought you perhaps purchased an apple tv1 from somewhere instead of the 2.

mea culpa i guess...
  • Reply 68 of 73
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Thank you for the detailed response - appreciated! Now I know.

Unless you can get prime TV channels like ESPN and live sports or even live programming as it's show w/o waiting all for free or minimal price, I don't get the attraction to AppleTV/Roku, etc. I guess its good if you don't care about live programming and only want to watch TV shows 1-2 days after airing and movies. If I had one I'd only use it for Netflix streaming, not paying $1.00-4.00 for some show that comes on free TV or a movie from Apple I'm forced to watch in 24 hours. That's the turn off to me about Redbox, the being forced into a time schedule. At least on Netflix the DVD can sit around for days until I'm ready to watch.

Everyone stresses video with Apple TV but there's more. I wirelessly stream lots of music in my iTunes libraries (multiple computers) through my TV and to my home entertainment system. You also can stream the hundreds of online radio stations available on iTunes. I live in the Midwest and one of my favorite stations happens to be a classical music broadcaster in New York City. You can use an iMac equipped with an Elgato EyeTV tuner to record broadcast shows of your choosing, export them to iTunes, and watch them at your convenience on Apple TV, an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch - whatever.
  • Reply 69 of 73
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Confuzzzzz View Post

sitting in my living room watching vimeo

Does the change to the TV Shows section make the AppleTV more useful in the UK? I was put off because the selling point was TV Rentals and NetFlix and we didn't get either
  • Reply 70 of 73
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by See Flat View Post

No it's not. I give full credit to Jobs for the focus, and vision of what Apple was to be, what it has become and what it will be in the future. (Not as sure as I like where it's going)

I do. Jobs negotiated great deals as only he can. Because when he believes in something, everyone's opinion is beneath him, and he is smart enough to convince anyone he is right. That is built on a foundation that he is almost always right in his perceptive vision.

Lassiter was at Pixar from day one. He had the vision of making movies, not Jobs. Jobs thought he was buying a hardware company. Jobs loves hardware and selling it.

This is obviously based on stuff I've read over the years. I dont know any of the parties involved. As I'm pretty sure no one else posting here does.

It was a hardware and software company, and Lassiter was making shorts that were just several minutes long at first, and that were designed to show off the systems. He didn't start there by making movies, that came later.
  • Reply 71 of 73
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by resnyc View Post

You have to _subscribe_ to HBO to get HBOGO, so, no paying for just single episodes through any service like AppleTV or Netflix. And it's only available as a separate, stand-alone service provided by your "TV provider", via an app onto iPhone, iPad, but does _not_ support airplay, therefore AppleTV does not offer current episodes even through airplay from iPad. Reviews of the app on App Store are fairly negative. And not all "TV providers" offer it - not even Time Warner Cable itself! HBO understands full well they have the best entertainment available on TV, and they'll sell it only for the monthly subscription price, or not at all.

You aren't entirely correct. For one thing, Time Warner does offer it. At least in NYC. But as I said earlier, you must also subscribe to their Internet service to get this.
  • Reply 72 of 73
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dbbc View Post

It works in Canada, too; I just installed and tested it.

I am in Canada, installed the update but still no TV section in the menu. I do have some TV series I bought on itunes.
  • Reply 73 of 73
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

If Hulu is sold off soon, don't expect to see it on AppleTV any time soon. They have a competitive advantage over Apple and will go to the highest bidder.

With DirectTV dropping out of the bidding this week, only Amazon, Yahoo and Dish Network are left as interested parties. Looks like the purchase may cost one of them more than $2B, with Amazon the favorite.