Deutsche Telekom begins accepting preorders for Apple's iPhone 5

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Without knowing any details on Apple's next-generation iPhone, including its release date, Deutsche Telekom still began offering customers the ability to preorder the handset on Monday.

A spokesman for the German carrier confirmed to Bloomberg that as of Monday, customers can reserve the next-generation iPhone. The carrier is reportedly concerned about supply bottlenecks at launch of the so-called "iPhone 5."

Customers who request the successor to the iPhone 4 will be granted a coupon for when it finally goes on sale. Unsurprisingly, the carrier does not know any details on the device, including its name, hardware specifications, or even when it will become available.

Further details on the reservation process were shared by the German-language focus.de (via Google Translate). The reservation process for the next-generation iPhone is not advertised, and it is also not available in Deutsche Telekom's online store; users must go into a brick-and-mortar location to obtain a "premiere ticket."

The first-come, first-served system allows one ticket per customer. The debut of the next-generation iPhone will mark the first time in Germany that Deutsche Telekom was not the exclusive carrier at launch, as Vodafone and O2 began selling the iPhone last October.

Numerous reports have pointed toward an October launch for the next iPhone in the U.S. Last year, the iPhone 4 went on sale first in America and Germany, as well as France, the U.K. and Japan.

Last week, a file found inside the latest iOS 5 beta revealed that a new iPhone model, dubbed "N94," has received regulatory approval with an identification number from the U.S. Federal Communications Commission. The approval suggests that Apple is on the verge of introducing its new family of handsets.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    Hi, I'd like to pre-order my pre-order my iPhone please.
  • Reply 2 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

Hi, I'd like to pre-order my pre-order my iPhone please.

Deutshe telecom is just being smart. They want to know how much inventory to carry. In the past, they probably carried to little. But, since the Germans are such stingy folks, they do not want to over project too.
  • Reply 3 of 54
    oflifeoflife Posts: 120member
    Am an Apple fan, but anyone who pre-orders a product of any type without knowing the specification is acting on blind faith. Of course, iPhone 5 will be hot, but what if there are competitors with a better feature set? (IE, new phones from Samsung, HTC and Motorola.)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Without knowing any details on Apple's next-generation iPhone, including its release date, Deutsche Telekom still began offering customers the ability to preorder the handset on Monday.

A spokesman for the German carrier confirmed to Bloomberg that as of Monday, customers can reserve the next-generation iPhone. The carrier is reportedly concerned about supply bottlenecks at launch of the so-called "iPhone 5."

Customers who request the successor to the iPhone 4 will be granted a coupon for when it finally goes on sale. Unsurprisingly, the carrier does not know any details on the device, including its name, hardware specifications, or even when it will become available.

Further details on the reservation process were shared by the German-language focus.de (via Google Translate). The reservation process for the next-generation iPhone is not advertised, and it is also not available in Deutsche Telekom's online store; users must go into a brick-and-mortar location to obtain a "premiere ticket."

The first-come, first-served system allows one ticket per customer. The debut of the next-generation iPhone will mark the first time in Germany that Deutsche Telekom was not the exclusive carrier at launch, as Vodafone and O2 began selling the iPhone last October.

Numerous reports have pointed toward an October launch for the next iPhone in the U.S. Last year, the iPhone 4 went on sale first in America and Germany, as well as France, the U.K. and Japan.

Last week, a file found inside the latest iOS 5 beta revealed that a new iPhone model, dubbed "N94," has received regulatory approval with an identification number from the U.S. Federal Communications Commission. The approval suggests that Apple is on the verge of introducing its new family of handsets.

• Reply 4 of 54
    Those who gives any s**t about those other phones have purchased them already. BTW, why are you so hung up on what other people do?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

Am an Apple fan, but anyone who pre-orders a product of any type without knowing the specification is acting on blind faith. Of course, iPhone 5 will be hot, but what if there are competitors with a better feature set? (IE, new phones from Samsung, HTC and Motorola.)

• Reply 5 of 54
    kiweekiwee Posts: 102member
    The rumors suggest that 2 models will be released..

If that turns out to be the case, which model are the pre-orders pre-ordering for?
  • Reply 6 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fjose1929 View Post

the Germans are such stingy folks

Bit of a sweeping generalisation that.
  • Reply 7 of 54
    Tim Cook may not make a formal iPhone 5 annoucement, just a simple press release.
  • Reply 8 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hambone View Post

Tim Cook may not make a formal iPhone 5 annoucement, just a simple press release.

I agree. The real feature set was introduced at WWDC. This will just be a hardware refresh. Bump in specs and at is all.

My bigger question is when is the upgrade to iOS 5?
  • Reply 9 of 54
    Quote:

Apple fans don't start posts with "Am an Apple fan".
  • Reply 10 of 54
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fjose1929 View Post

Deutshe telecom is just being smart. They want to know how much inventory to carry. In the past, they probably carried to little. But, since the Germans are such stingy folks, they do not want to over project too.

Hard to generalize these days about the Germans, but typically they buy expensive products that they keep for a long time. They will buy washing machines made by Miele or Siemens that will last their entire lives. Or house made of reinforced cement concrete, hi grade insulation, windows, doors etc that will last generations. Same for cars.

We are more the quickie economy. We put up a house made of 2x4, few 2x6, particle wood, wham, bam and got house ready for termites. Add the latest Chinese made appliances and some bling and it is ready for moving by Xmas.
  • Reply 11 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

Hard to generalize these days about the Germans, but typically they buy expensive products that they keep for a long time. They will buy washing machines made by Miele or Siemens that will last their entire lives. Or house made of reinforced cement concrete, hi grade insulation, windows, doors etc that will last generations. Same for cars.

We are more the quickie economy. We put up a house made of 2x4, few 2x6, particle wood, wham, bam and got house ready for termites. Add the latest Chinese made appliances and some bling and it is ready for moving by Xmas.

So true...
  • Reply 12 of 54
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Who care about the feature set of other phones? There are other considerations often times more important. First, the eco system. If you have an iPhone, you likely already own a ton of apps that you don't' want to replace if you go else place. Second, if you use other Apple products, the iPhone integrates the best. Third, Apple's build quality on its phones kicks everybody else's butt. Most other phones are made of cheap plastics. HTC and Motorola phones are the worst. They are lucky to make it the two years on contract. Forth, there are more accessories in stores like Target and Walmart for iPhone users.

Bottom line if you already are using an iPhone you know the new one will be better then your current one. What else is there to know? With all that said, I wouldn't pre-order because I will not buy the first production run. The manufacturing process for building a product improves over time. I will usually wait at least a month, to have some of those issues refined. Regardless, the people pre-ordering are covered under warranty so diving right in isn't terribly risky.

Quote:

• Reply 13 of 54
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Unlike us Americans who embraced the out source band wagon to the detriment of our citizens, the citizens of other countries who followed our lead, Germans build a lot of their world class brands in Germany.

Quote:

• Reply 14 of 54
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    Quote:

However research carried out for a previous employer of mine shows they will buy new technology products where there is new functionality which will be useful to them, even if they only recently bought a similar product (1-2 years being recent)
  • Reply 15 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Unlike us Americans who embraced the out source band wagon to the detriment of our citizens, the citizens of other countries who followed our lead, Germans build a lot of their world class brands in Germany.

You mean like BMW, who builds their world class brand in the US as well? And Porsche is considering building in the US and China. I guess Germans won't like the US and China for "taking their jobs away".
  • Reply 16 of 54
    The most annoying part of his post is the implied "I-know-what's-best-for-you-and-if-you-don't-think-like-me-then-you-suck-because-you're-an-apple-fanboi" attitude. Of course, his assumption that no one would pick up on pretentiousness-in-the-guise-of-being-helpful adds to insult.

Man, this waiting for iPhone 5 is killing me.

Quote:

Who care about the feature set of other phones? There are other considerations often times more important. First, the eco system. If you have an iPhone, you likely already own a ton of apps that you don't' want to replace if you go else place. Second, if you use other Apple products, the iPhone integrates the best. Third, Apple's build quality on its phones kicks everybody else's butt. Most other phones are made of cheap plastics. HTC and Motorola phones are the worst. They are lucky to make it the two years on contract. Forth, there are more accessories in stores like Target and Walmart for iPhone users.

Bottom line if you already are using an iPhone you know the new one will be better then your current one. What else is there to know? With all that said, I wouldn't pre-order because I will not buy the first production run. The manufacturing process for building a product improves over time. I will usually wait at least a month, to have some of those issues refined. Regardless, the people pre-ordering are covered under warranty so diving right in isn't terribly risky.

• Reply 17 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hambone View Post

I would be suprised if they did that as the media events generate a lot of free publicity. The iPhone represents something like 50% of Apple revenues so there is a lot riding on this.
  • Reply 18 of 54
    Quote:

Sounds like you have tunnel vision for Apple.

1. Eco system (lock in) means nothing to some people. If you move from Windows to Mac or vice versa there will be certain applications that just won't work. This hasn't stopped people from switching in the past and there are plenty that go from iPhone to Android and Android to iPhone and Win to anything else.

2. iPhone made by Apple integrates the best with Apple products? You don't say... Kind of like Android integrates the best with Google beta products or Win Phone 7 integrates the best with Microsoft products.

3. Plastic, yuck. You must not realize the iPhone, iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS and early iPods were all made with a certain percentage of plastic. Oh I must be mistaken, it was high quality Apple only plastic that no other manufacturer had at the time.

Me personally, I would never pre order an unannounced device without seeing specifics on what it can do. Even if it is from Apple.
  • Reply 19 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiwee View Post

The rumors suggest that 2 models will be released..

If that turns out to be the case, which model are the pre-orders pre-ordering for?

It seems to me that after all the fancy weird rumours we've had over the last few months, that at the end of the day that a single iPhone, shaped very much like the current iPhone and called "iPhone 5" is the most likely thing to occur at this point. So at the end, the single most likely situation (which could easily have been predicted a year ago), seems to be coming to pass.

iPhone 5, with iOS 5, released in the fall, in a slightly upgraded package to last years iPhone 4.

When you consider what a runaway success iPhone 4 was, even with the manufactured controversy over the antenna etc., this scenario makes a great deal of sense. It's not as exciting, (which is why we spent all year talking about red herrings), but it makes sense if this turns out to be the case.
  • Reply 20 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jumpmaster View Post

You mean like BMW, who builds their world class brand in the US as well? And Porsche is considering building in the US and China. I guess Germans won't like the US and China for "taking their jobs away".

Cars are also a real bad product to take as an example of outsourcing given that they are over-priced luxury items.

A good solid car that will last for years can be built for a couple of thousand bucks worth of materials and labour. With advantages of volume sales and scaled manufacturing, there is no reason why a car should cost more than 500 dollars or so and be able to last for many many years. The reason America and Germany can still build their own cars is that the market has been taught to expect a price in the range of many tens of thousands of dollars. It's easy to produce a product locally with those kinds of inflated price expectations.

People don't buy cars as mere transportation, they buy them as status symbols and "performance machines" even though the performance isn't actually needed. People buy cars that go hundreds of kilometres an hour to drive in stop and go traffic that never exceeds 45. People buy cars with unnecessary TV sets and stereos. People buy cars that are literally as big as houses and need ladders to get into them even though they rarely drive them further than the corner store. A car is a luxury item and the most luxurious of cars are the ones that are still profitable to manufacture locally, which is why car manufacturers are all pushing luxury.

A small, practical, reusable, economical car that would last the user for life, manufactured mostly by robots (but with the human employees still getting fantastic wages), could be easily made anywhere in the world and sold for under a thousand dollars.

People don't actually want that however. They want a new car every few years with lots of gee-gaws and assurance that it's the manliest vehicle on the street. They don't want to get from place to place, they want to feel like Daddy Warbucks.