Rumor: Best Buy preparing for Oct. launch of Apple's iPhone 5

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uncore View Post

No, it is not in trouble. Samsung's phone is already out and basicaly we know s..t about the upcoming iPhone. Maybe Apple will be in trouble when the iPhone 5 is released.

Is it out? I thought that device wasn't coming out until 2012. It has been shown before any iPhone 5 was out but there is also evidence that there are potential iPhonr 5 templates that Samsung (and others) could have seen. Regardless I don't think any of it is enough to say one or the other is stealing.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    After some thinking.... why would Best Buy even get this information so soon?

2010: Announced June 7... shipped June 24

2009: Announced June 8... shipped June 19

2008: Announced June 9... shipped July 11

Why would Apple have to tell retailers when to expect it?

There is always plenty of time for retailers to get ready... and Best Buy is only one retailer.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    Aha, think if this is another ad for Apple, the large rumors before and new iProduct launch!

But I want to know there are how many people will turn to the iPhone 5 for giving up the iPhone 4?
  • Reply 24 of 36
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Is it out? I thought that device wasn't coming out until 2012. It has been shown before any iPhone 5 was out but there is also evidence that there are potential iPhonr 5 templates that Samsung (and others) could have seen. Regardless I don't think any of it is enough to say one or the other is stealing.

SGS 2 is coming in a few weeks. i saw someone with an older model of the galaxy the other day and the screen was pretty good even though the colors were like Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland saturated.

if the iphone 5 is a 4" phone i'll probably buy it over the Samsung phone. spending more than $50 on an android phone is painful for me. if the iphone 5 is in the mid 3" range again i'll go for the galaxy. doesn't matter to me since it's essentially free for me
  • Reply 25 of 36
    That's pretty damn low Samsung.. if the iPhone5 does indeed look just like the SG2.. it will show why Apple was so concerned about seeing "future Samsung phones". After all.. Samsung is a manufacturer for Apple.. Apple is not a manufacturer for Samsung. Its pretty easy to figure out who copied who.. with both products releasing around the same time. I'm sure Apple has the proper documentation to show they were working on this wider 4" screen handset first. Probably the most disappointing aspect is that Samsung differs its handsets for every carrier, showing they can easily create ideas that greatly differ from Apple's product line.. yet they still copy.

I'll never buy an Android phone. Mainly because I'm already heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem (2nd Gen iPod Nano, iPhone4, iPad2, 3rd Gen MBA, 2nd Gen AppleTV.. 100's of apps & tons of musics from the App store/iTunes). But also because I'm more concerned with devices that just work as advertised and do what they promise to do.. than a bunch of specs and the latest hardware. Things that "Android people" brag about.. and never concern me. I don't need HDMI, memory card slots, swappable batteries, huge screens on my phone. Hell I don't even need all that shyt on my laptop, why would I need it on my phone? What I do need is a phone that is well built, simple to use, doesn't crash or need constant reboots, has the apps/software I need, has long battery life, docks with devices I already have in my car/home/gym/work/hotel room. And that's where Apple wins.. they design their products from a consumer's perspective. Where as other manufacturers design their products from a engineer's perspective.

On another note, this is the first time I haven't been excited/craving for a new phone. Its a testament to how well the iPhone4 is built & works. After owning mine for 15 months now, it still doesn't feel old.. or needing an upgrade. It works well for the everyday tasks I do (taking pics, surfing the web, checking email, using apps, listening to music, FB/Twitter, texting/talking.. etc). It also helps that Im running iOS beta 5, and have access to the newest features. All this adds up to no immediate want/need to get the iPhone5.. no matter how great it could be. I'll try and wait a few months to see which carrier offers the best incentives.. and then see if its worth upgrading for a better phone & more importantly.. better/cheaper service plan.

I'm hoping with Sprint in the race now, that they force Verizon & ATT to become more competitive. Even if it that doesn't mean the return of unlimited data plans.. it could mean lowering the price on current tethering/data/texting plans to make them more appealing. ATT has been my carrier since 2004.. and while I have no real gripes about them after using the Motorola Rzar, several Blackberrys, Samsung Blackjack I & II and iPhone 3GS & 4.. there's no doubting Verizon is simply the bigger/better network with the most promising LTE future. It also helps that living in Washington, DC.. Verizon is the only carrier to have cell service in the subway thanks to grandfathered contracts. All of that means I'm pretty anxious to see what Verizon will offer.. to get customers to jump on their ship.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Ferrari View Post

I haven't heard anything about any US carrier offering early upgrades yet. My wife (the primary line) has been eligible since June (18 months into our 24 month contract) and my upgrade date was showing Sept 9 (3 months early) until last week. I checked on Aug 29, and the Apple site said I was eligible, so I'm waiting with bated breath.

I received my iPhone 4 from ATT the day before the official release last year. (FedEx's mistake was my one day gain.) Anyway the point is that I started a two year contract on that day (about 1 year 3 months ago). As of today, my iPhone upgrade availability date on ATT.com is November 17. As I already own the lattest iPhone does that mean that November 17 may be the actual release date of the new iphone? This is just an FYI about my account, I don't have any inside information.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bpatton711 View Post

I received my iPhone 4 from ATT the day before the official release last year. (FedEx's mistake was my one day gain.) Anyway the point is that I started a two year contract on that day (about 1 year 3 months ago). As of today, my iPhone upgrade availability date on ATT.com is November 17. As I already own the lattest iPhone does that mean that November 17 may be the actual release date of the new iphone? This is just an FYI about my account, I don't have any inside information.

I don't think so. Mine is in December and it doesn't particularly make sense to me why, so I think we are all getting a boost. Maybe even if you had an iPhone before the 4 also, so they suspect you may upgrade.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    I'm just excited that picture shows something about a Sprint iPhone5.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

This has been floating around but I don't quite understand some of the details.

This is all based on this really lame design document:

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new...07/iphone5.png

There is no way that's legit, some of the elements aren't even aligned properly. What macrumors has done is taken this document and "commissioned a set of renderings in an attempt to get an idea of what the iPhone 5 might look like".

That's the drawing you posted - a mockup of a mockup. There's no legitimate evidence for this design at all beyond the case manufacturers.

I'm not saying it couldn't happen because we all remember iPod Phatty but at this point, I don't see much strong evidence confirming it.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

After some thinking.... why would Best Buy even get this information so soon?

2010: Announced June 7... shipped June 24

2009: Announced June 8... shipped June 19

2008: Announced June 9... shipped July 11

Why would Apple have to tell retailers when to expect it?

There is always plenty of time for retailers to get ready... and Best Buy is only one retailer.

The Best Buy memo isn't quoting some official communication from Apple. They are simply speculating on the likely release date and hedging their bets.

Apple's CFO mentioned a product transition that would have material impact on this quarter. This combined with other rumors makes an iPhone announcement in the latter half of September to be a plausible scenario.

My guess is that Apple -- with their reputation of being secretive -- gives channel partners very little warning or lead time. They will keep the people who are least able to keep their mouths shut in the dark as long as possible: retail line employees. Those people will probably get the details the day they start selling the device.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

This is all based on this really lame design document:

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new...07/iphone5.png

There is no way that's legit, some of the elements aren't even aligned properly. What macrumors has done is taken this document and "commissioned a set of renderings in an attempt to get an idea of what the iPhone 5 might look like".

That's the drawing you posted - a mockup of a mockup. There's no legitimate evidence for this design at all beyond the case manufacturers.

I'm not saying it couldn't happen because we all remember iPod Phatty but at this point, I don't see much strong evidence confirming it.

I'm just really depressed that these cases we've been seeing are actually going to be the iPhone.

Frigging worthless 4" screen, wider device (breaking physical compatibility with a ton of stuff), and (seemingly) too thin to have a decent battery (though Apple has astounded with batteries in the past).
  • Reply 32 of 36
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm just really depressed that these cases we've been seeing are actually going to be the iPhone.

Frigging worthless 4" screen, wider device (breaking physical compatibility with a ton of stuff), and (seemingly) too thin to have a decent battery (though Apple has astounded with batteries in the past).

But why taper it? When you hold it in landscape, it's not going to feel right. They won't be able to fit a flat battery inside. I'm not buying this (in two respects).

Obviously case manufacturers staking part of their business on it being this way lends some weight to it but this just looks wrong. Is that giant button actually going to be a push button? It just seems ludicrous.

Now, if they put cell phone parts into an opposite shaped wedge that makes it flat and gives you the freedom from network carriers and doubles as an iPod Touch without it, that makes sense but that still doesn't fix everything else.

What possible reason could they have for making a physical button huge? I'd say none, unless it's not a physical button. But even then, this doesn't seem right. This looks like a design you'd leak to send case manufacturers on the wrong path and uncover a leak.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    Quote:

I wouldn't worry about the battery. Apple has yet to ruin battery life in favour of a thinner design so I don't think they'd start now.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    Quote:

But why taper it? When you hold it in portrait, it's not going to feel right. They won't be able to fit a flat battery inside.

I think you mean landscape, but your point is taken.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    Quote:

But why taper it? When you hold it in portrait, it's not going to feel right. They won't be able to fit a flat battery inside. I'm not buying this (in two respects).

I know, right? It just doesn't seem like Apple to have something angled that doesn't contain a keyboard (would've just said 'a wedge design', but the MacBook Air uses that to great effect).

Quote:

Is that giant button actually going to be a push button? It just seems ludicrous.

Capacitive, maybe? That way it would lend itself to gestures (oh, personal note: WHY. we have the screen for that). But also, if it isn't a hardware button, users no longer have an 'out' when the system locks up.

Quote:

Now, if they put cell phone parts into an opposite shaped wedge that makes it flat and gives you the freedom from network carriers and doubles as an iPod Touch without it, that makes sense but that still doesn't fix everything else.

Now THAT'S a crazy idea. It's interesting. That sounds like something cool a competitor (REAL competitor) would do.

Seems that everyone has given up on the PMP market (and with good reason: Apple won), but if someone came out with their own iPod touch-esque device that was designed like you just described, people would buy it (particularly if the phone plans didn't require data. Then it would definitely serve to fill the market the iPhone doesn't). If nothing else, it would be lauded for its innovation and neat concept.

Quote:

This looks like a design you'd leak to send case manufacturers on the wrong path and uncover a leak.

That's how I felt at the beginning as well.

Quote:

I wouldn't worry about the battery. Apple has yet to ruin battery life in favour of a thinner design so I don't think they'd start now.

You're right. I'd forgotten the iPad 2 introduction.

"So with all this, more power, thinner, lighter, something's gotta give, right? Nope. Same 10 hour battery life."

It's a shame that we may not have many more opportunities to hear Steve Jobs gush, "It's even THINNER!" I always loved how he did that. If there's anywhere the RDF came into action, it's when Steve's as astounded as any of us that Apple is able to get their stuff as thin as they do.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    Quote:

I know, right? It just doesn't seem like Apple to have something angled that doesn't contain a keyboard (would've just said 'a wedge design', but the MacBook Air uses that to great effect).

Marvin ha a good counter-point to these renderings but I don' feel they are too bizarre either.When you hold it in 'a' hand on portrait you aren't going to notice the wedge, and with a wider display you need to make the rest of the travel for the back of the hand thinner to help retain one handed thumb typing. I think that could easily have been considered by Apple.

Of course, two-handed landscape use would result in a thick and thin side, but I can't help but wonder how much that would affect the usage. Maybe a lot, maybe a little. I really don't know, but I think the design has some merit.

Some things to consider are other vendors who have made the camera end of their devices thicker to accommodate the necessary optics. Do these have a history of being too cumbersome to hold? I certainly haven't heard of any such complaints, outside of poor aesthetics, though not one has ever had the mindshare of the iPhone to make even real complaints manifest over silly complaints about the iPhone. C'est la vie.

Quote:

Capacitive, maybe? That way it would lend itself to gestures (oh, personal note: WHY. we have the screen for that). But also, if it isn't a hardware button, users no longer have an 'out' when the system locks up.

Maybe it'll toggle so you can press in the center, or press to one side or the other for different effects.

One thing I'd like to see, though this is SW, is a better way to enact voice control. The duration of pressing the Home Button to wait for voice control to start is way too long. I'd like something more intuitive and/or even a new button specifically for this feature that starts instantly. Maybe even adding a feature to the Mute switch. For instance, if you press it down instead of toggling it you enable voice control/Assistant. Though that might be a tricky physical button to create while also making it durable.