Facebook, Twitter integration spreads to all of Apple's online store

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Links to share products on social networking sites Facebook and Twitter are now available for all items sold in Apple's online store, including third-party products.

The gradual roll-out of the social networking features began last month, but was initially limited to only a handful of Apple-specific products, namely the iPod classic and Mac Pro. But as of Monday, all products in Apple's online store now sport links to Facebook and Twitter.

Using the links, users can share products with their friends on the popular social networking sites. The links can be found by clicking a drop-down arrow located to the right of "Add to Cart" links on the store.

Choosing to share a link on Twitter opens a window pre-populated with the name of the product and a link to the Apple online store. For Facebook, a window opens and users can post a thumbnail and a link to the product via their account.

The enhancements to Apple's online store are another way that the company has chosen to embrace social networking. The iPhone maker will also add system-wide Twitter integration to iOS 5 this fall, while videos of an alleged iPhone prototype suggest the company also looked into Facebook integration at the system level.

Apple has its own social networking tool designed to share iTunes Music content, called Ping. It debuted last year with the release of iTunes 10, and features integration with Twitter to make it easier for people to share music discoveries with their friends.

AppleInsider was first to report on Saturday new evidence that Apple plans to add a new social networking element to its forthcoming iCloud service. Dubbed "Find My Friends," the feature is expected to allow users of iOS devices to discover their friends' locations via GPS.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Someone needs to make a FireFox or Chrome plug in to hate things on Facebook
  • Reply 2 of 21
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    I wish you could just turn all that crap off.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Why would you say that? If there were a +1 button under your post, I would have clicked it!
  • Reply 4 of 21
    it's about time they joined 2009.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Quote:

I can't see any Lamebook or Twister links on the US Apple Online Store in Safari? Do I need an update for that?

Anyway, maybe I am just lucky.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Spacebook, MyFace and Twatter might have hundreds of millions of users, but there are ten times are many people alive who don't and won't use any of that crap. The sooner Apple recognises that a significant proportion of the non-users are non-users because they choose to so be and don't want any mention of social networking in their lives the better.

iPhone settings needs a 'disable' for this stuff, or better still - like the Nike+, it should be an 'enable' feature for those who do want it, set to off for the rest of us by default. I don't see why I should have to try to filter social networking out when I never wanted it in the first place.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    What, No Ping!?
  • Reply 8 of 21
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Why would you say that? If there were a +1 button under your post, I would have clicked it!

I agree with the first poster: this is all a tremendous waste of time and screen space. It might be one thing if someone finds some really obscure but useful product or service, but what purpose does it serve to send people on a Facebook list (or to post on one's wall) a photo and information about an Apple product? Do you really think "your friends" don't already know about it? You might as well send them a photo of a can of tuna fish.

We've become completely obsessed with telling the world about the most minuscule and trivial details of our own lives. I really couldn't care less if you're at a Taco Bell right now or if you just bought underwear or if you agree with another poster unless you have something to ADD to the conversation. Every single +1 given to a site, product or posting might be from complete idiots. And these "check-in" sites bug me even more. I don't want to know that you're "somewhere" unless you want me to meet you there. And I don't want to have to give away my life's details just to get a discount.

And that's aside from the issues of giving away one's privacy and setting yourself up (at best) to be a target of marketers.

I've never understood the appeal of either Twitter or Facebook, but maybe I'm simply either too old or have too much else going on in my life. Personally, I hope they go the way of AOL Chat Rooms. When I hear my phone beep with an email or text notification, I don't think "What fun...an email!", I think, "oh damn...who is bugging me now and what do they want from me?"
  • Reply 9 of 21
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Weak.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I'm scared shitless of social and Facebook. When I visit a site and my face shows up on it I freak out. And it's been a while that they started doing that. I want to quit but I sometimes need it to keep in touch with people I don't talk to.

I'm not as scared of twitter for some reason though. Maybe because they don't show my face on websites.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    luddites !
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Just because the Internet is in 'Social' phase, doesn't mean it's appropriate to put it everywhere.

Never going to use it.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:

Grab the "Get Off My Lawn" extension, alongside Defacer. That takes care of all Social Networking tripe on the Internet.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

I've never understood the appeal of either Twitter or Facebook, but maybe I'm simply either too old or have too much else going on in my life. Personally, I hope they go the way of AOL Chat Rooms. When I hear my phone beep with an email or text notification, I don't think "What fun...an email!", I think, "oh damn...who is bugging me now and what do they want from me?"

1. Yes, you're too old.

2. You may or may not have too much else going on in life.

3. I met my last wife in an AOL chat room. (We're now divorcing.)

4. "oh damn...who is bugging me now and what do they want from me?" - not only are you too old, you're too crotchety, also.

5. I am way too much like you.

\
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

Someone needs to make a FireFox or Chrome plug in to hate things on Facebook

Someone needs to make a FireFox or Chrome plug in to hate Facebook

• Reply 16 of 21
    I'm thrilled to see all the negative posts here today, and I totally agree. But as of 2011, we are NOT the customers most companies care about. They want to reach out to the young, impressionable kids that somehow feel this stuff is so cool, don't care about their own productivity, and have no worries (or understanding) of privacy concerns. It's sad.

Quote:

We've become completely obsessed with telling the world about the most minuscule and trivial details of our own lives. I really couldn't care less if you're at a Taco Bell right now or if you just bought underwear or if you agree with another poster unless you have something to ADD to the conversation. Every single +1 given to a site, product or posting might be from complete idiots. And these "check-in" sites bug me even more. I don't want to know that you're "somewhere" unless you want me to meet you there. And I don't want to have to give away my life's details just to get a discount.

(my emphasis)

THANK YOU, THANK YOU!! Why the frick do people give away their personal information so readily to save a dime?! or even a buck? The whole thing is repulsive.

Quote:

And that's aside from the issues of giving away one's privacy and setting yourself up (at best) to be a target of marketers.

Absolutely.

Quote:

When I hear my phone beep with an email or text notification, I don't think "What fun...an email!", I think, "oh damn...who is bugging me now and what do they want from me?"

Again, a perfect quote. I've felt this way for years. Although an email is different from text or phone call because you can (and typically do) read it on your own schedule. There's no expectation that it will be dealt with in real-time.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    I really do hope that iOS does not become the new CNN in which you are constantly bombarded by Facebook et al.

I think the problem for Apple is that it does not have a social product like Google with its G+. So it has to either use G+ or Facebook/Twitter. Since Google is the competitor then Facebook it is.

I do not think the future is based on Facebook model but the G+ model instead. So it may worth Apple spending some time and figuring this one out and the answer is not straight forward.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Apple shut down affiliates who used social networks for promotions in August. Now looking back, Apple was preparing for its own social network initiatives.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    ... and now Apple. I thought surely that company was strong enough, confident enough and self assured enough to just be itself. Let the followers follow. Apple leads..?

I love Twitter, really. I use it a lot. But Twitter is Twitter. The Apple Store is The Apple Store and I know the difference. Wasted space indeed. What a horrible trend. Those buttons litter everywhere.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Twitter is actually an amazing platform. -- There is no expectation to be present in real-time; it is highly informative when following news, FEMA, CDC during hurricanes; it allows you an inside perspective on artists, writers, actors; it keeps you abreast of your friends... it's good stuff.

The only issue with it is the over-sharing, mindless sharing and attempted marketing that takes place. But the beauty of that is simply "unfollow".

When used for things other than "look at me!", bathroom updates and marketing ploys, social media can be a powerful means of communication, movement and information sharing. -- Just look at what's going on with the youth in Iran: rising against the government by having mass waterballoon fights and joyous gatherings that are putting them in jail and letting the world see their oppression first hand. Or in Egypt, where the information sharing in regard to tyranny had the government shutting social media down. Or in England, where twitter circulated snapshots of looters, rioters and kept people safe by instructing them on not where to go. ... there are other examples.

Apple should formally purchase Twitter, forego the support of Facebook in any capacity, and connect us all in ways that don't rape our privacy.