Will Lion run FASTER than Snow Leopard?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
This is a 2006 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3GB RAM, planning to change to a Solid State Drive.

I bought it on eBay, and there's a burned Snow Leopard disc with it.

I'm wondering what I should clean install on the SSD-Snow Leopard, or Lion.

- I don't use heavily specialized programs, just iLife stuff and browsing and Orifice, I mean Office.

- I do not care about the GUI features, just speed.

I've read some "older machines aren't capable" comments, which I don't understand since the hype was the OS versions were getting smaller and quicker...

Fire Away!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Head_Unit View Post

This is a 2006 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3GB RAM, planning to change to a Solid State Drive.

I bought it on eBay, and there's a burned Snow Leopard disc with it.

I'm wondering what I should clean install on the SSD-Snow Leopard, or Lion.

- I don't use heavily specialized programs, just iLife stuff and browsing and Orifice, I mean Office.

- I do not care about the GUI features, just speed.

I've read some "older machines aren't capable" comments, which I don't understand since the hype was the OS versions were getting smaller and quicker...

Fire Away!

I see no Lion aficionados jumping on this one, Head. Must be too sensitive a subject...

That should tell you enough.

Besides, Lion is still far too buggy.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parttimer View Post

I see no Lion aficionados jumping on this one, Head. Must be too sensitive a subject...

That should tell you enough.

Besides, Lion is still far too buggy.

Obligatory post to counter the NONSENSE above.

I represent the other camp. Lion's great. You're going to need to use it yourself. Why in the world would you let other people make that decision for you?

Other than the fact that eventually you'll HAVE to use Lion because all earlier computers that can run earlier OS' will eventually break.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

eventually you'll HAVE to use Lion

True that, but "eventually" is not the same as now! I suggest the OP waits until OSX.7.3 or .4 to get an OS with the most serious/annoying/time wasting bugs fixed.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Quote:

True that, but "eventually" is not the same as now! I suggest the OP waits until OSX.7.3 or .4 to get an OS with the most serious/annoying/time wasting bugs fixed.

What bugs would those be ????

I think it's fair to demand the some supporting evidence from you.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

I think it's fair to demand the some supporting evidence from you.

Shame he won't ever give any.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Quote:

Shame he won't ever give any.

I was told premature ejaculation is a problem some have...

Anyway, let's cut to the chase: you don't have to look far for evidence of Lion bugs, it's right here on AI. In this "MacOSX' segment even:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=131282

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=131451

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=129339

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=131053

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=129252

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=128772

Of course there are hundreds more on other, less Apple-biased fora. But I won't even go there. This provides enough of an impression, imo.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Quote:

I was told premature ejaculation is a problem some have...

Anyway, let's cut to the chase: you don't have to look far for evidence of Lion bugs, it's right here on AI. In this "MacOSX' segment even:

Of course there are hundreds on other, less Apple-biased fora. But I won't even go there. This provides enough of an impression, imo.

Not a single one of those is a bug. Not a one. It's people complaining about new features, new designs, and lack of features.

Not a single bug.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    The issues are bugging people enough to post about 'm. Hence they are, in common English, bugs.

Of course this is all on the premise that AI's target audience is the normal Joe and jane Average Apple user. Not a coffee corner for Mac geeks and nerds. But hey, what do I know?
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Quote:

The issues are bugging people enough to post about 'm. Hence they are, in common English, bugs.

Again, those aren't bugs.

"Features you don't like" is not what is meant by "bugs" in the world of computers. (I would have thought you'd have known that ... it's actually much simpler than concepts like osmosis and monopolies. )

You were saying one should wait until later revisions of the OS to have "less bugs"... well... all those "bugs" you listed will still be there... they're FEATURES! (ok... one repetitive item was a bug ... but in Adobe software, not in OSX Lion.)
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:

Again, those aren't bugs.

"Features you don't like" is not what is meant by "bugs" in the world of computers. (I would have thought you'd have known that ... it's actually much simpler than concepts like osmosis and monopolies. )

You were saying one should wait until later revisions of the OS to have "less bugs"... well... all those "bugs" you listed will still be there... they're FEATURES! (ok... one repetitive item was a bug ... but in Adobe software, not in OSX Lion.)

I'll have a Latte-to-go please.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    "You were saying one should wait until later revisions of the OS to have "less bugs"... well... all those "bugs" you listed will still be there... they're FEATURES!"

Many of Lion's features are bugs. That's why it's such a disappointment--first time I'm holding back from an OS release, probably til 10.8, to see if there's any improvement.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrmister View Post

"You were saying one should wait until later revisions of the OS to have "less bugs"... well... all those "bugs" you listed will still be there... they're FEATURES!"

Many of Lion's features are bugs. That's why it's such a disappointment--first time I'm holding back from an OS release, probably til 10.8, to see if there's any improvement.

Now that's completely pathetic and unnecessary.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrmister View Post

A feature that YOU don't like or don't use is not a BUG.

But when you DO upgrade to 10.8 ... wait until 10.8.4.

(I meant to say wait until 10.8.5)

(no... wait until 10.8.6 !)

(no, no, no... 10.8.7 !... that's the one that'll have no bugs!!!)

(well... on second thought, maybe 10.8.8 will be the one you should wait for ! )
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:

A feature that YOU don't like or don't use is not a BUG.

But when you DO upgrade to 10.8 ... wait until 10.8.4.

(I meant to say wait until 10.8.5)

(no... wait until 10.8.6 !)

(no, no, no... 10.8.7 !... that's the one that'll have no bugs!!!)

(well... on second thought, maybe 10.8.8 will be the one you should wait for ! )

You and your friend already told that 'joke'.

It's getting stale.

Apparently you don't have any better arguments than stale ridicule.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:

You and your friend already told that 'joke'.

The only stale thing here is the nonsensical idea that you honestly don't understand that the joke is you people waiting for point updates. You're smarter than that. You know good and well that you're just making crap up.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Quote:

... You're smarter than that. You know good and well that you're just making crap up.

Have you not read any of his other posts ???
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:

Have you not read any of his other posts ???

I give people the benefit of the doubt, even when I believe they're outright trolls.

I'm generally a trusting, optimistic person. That just doesn't come through here because when Apple is concerned, it is NEVER, EVER good to be optimistic.

Heck, go back to my posts on MacRumors. Even as pessimistic as I was about specs, features, and updates, Apple always managed to slip under my expectations.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

I give people the benefit of the doubt, even when I believe they're outright trolls.

I'm generally a trusting, optimistic person. That just doesn't come through here because when Apple is concerned, it is NEVER, EVER good to be optimistic.

Heck, go back to my posts on MacRumors. Even as pessimistic as I was about specs, features, and updates, Apple always managed to slip under my expectations.

That's like the new Mac aficionado credo. Your whole post. I like it. Has a nice ring to it.

And still, I'm an optimist. Despite my recent surprises at how simplistic iOS is. I'm optimistic Apple products will grow and improve, as will our community of users. After all, there is always something to improve upon or invent, right? It's an Escher-like never-ending loop. Sometimes Apple takes a step back (Lion Mission Control, FCP X, QuickTime X, iMovie HD, iCloud) but then takes two steps forward. At first it seems like a downgrade, but then we quickly advance two steps forward.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

At first it seems like a downgrade,

If it walks like a duck, and it talks like a duck, it's probably a duck.

Quote:

but then we quickly advance two steps forward.

Mañana, mañana...
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquatic

At first it seems like a downgrade,

Quote:

If it walks like a duck, and it talks like a duck, it's probably a duck.

Quote:

but then we quickly advance two steps forward.

Quote:

Mañana, mañana...

Talking from experience?