Parallels Desktop 7 available with 90 new features including Lion integration

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by See Flat View Post

Since they (Parallel's) have been sending emails and advertising on the web for a week. I can't see how this is a news story.

Sure seems like an Infarticle and there should be a disclaimer so some users don't read the supposed article as an endorsement from people they think they trust with reporting facts. Or perhaps those claims are just rumours?

"Infarticle"?
  • Reply 22 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

"Infarticle"?

As in "infomercial" But I liked the fart part since the reporting was crappie.
  • Reply 23 of 62
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    The problem with Parallels Desktop is that it fails when used to control external machines via USB. VMware Fusion works great for that.
  • Reply 24 of 62
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I tried Parallels once as a novelty. An expensive experiment considering a new copy of Windows was needed. I thought it was fairly clunky switching from one environment to the other. I would rather just fire up a real Windows PC if I need to work in Windows.
  • Reply 25 of 62
    I find VM software has these basic classifications for me and my users:

1) Power user / experimental - Parallels.

I'm speaking of system provisioning, remote access options, rapid templating, systems deployment and configuration testing, lab setups, etc. More $$ for upgrades, but more evolutionary features and measurable performance increases. Better Linux/Windows/MacOS support across VM addins and drivers. Awesome memory management...can run more concurrent VMs within a certain memory footprint than VMware. Best hardware emulation support. IE, HD emulations spans IDE, SATA and SCSI, while supporting EFI boot in all VM configurations (EFI boot fails under VMWare). Bonus: can choose to lock up any of the app or vm preferences behind admin password...useful if you want VMs used by novice users but don't want them changing VM settings. Or I can just lock the VM prefs and not Parallels preferences.

2) General user - VMWare Fusion. Use of single VM, or one VM at a time. Polished interface, great upgrade pricing. Has worked best for our novice users to learn and master, but preferences can still be accessed by non-admin users for installed VMs. Bonus flexibilty if you have a VMWare ESX environment.

3) Freebies - Xen or Virtual Box. I find both are excellent depending on the use-case and whether you want t

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

I've tried Parallels and Fusion, and even though it's not had any significant updates for a while, I still prefer Fusion. In the long run it's much, much cheaper to keep Fusion up to date, as Parallels seem to tout a new version with X new features and X times faster "for only $$" every few months. Fusion seems more Mac-like too somehow, and in my case, it actually works with my Boot Camp partition. Parallels goes through the setup procedure with the same partition every time I want to use it.

This article has paid advertisement written all over though, that's the first thing I thought when I started to read it... Fair enough having a short article noting that an oft used piece of software has had a major update, but pretty much copy+pasting the press release is poor journalism. This is AppleInsider after all, not ParallelsInsider. The last VMware article doesn't read like this one at all.

Maybe AI is trying to compete with MacNN...the RSS king (not worth reading, only worth parsing - they're almost as bad a the public twitter stream)
  • Reply 26 of 62
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

We come here for the rumors and news, if you can't deal with it, no one is forcing you to stay.

Can you really not distinguish between this and a regular rumour / news report?

The news is that there is a new product. Give me some highlights by all means but don't feed me the entire marketing campaign. That's just insulting. Post a link if need be. As for rumor, there was precious little.

No one is forcing me to stay? Because I criticized AI? And I can deal with it. That's exactly what I did. I voiced a complaint, which I totally stand by.
  • Reply 27 of 62
    I have a quick question. I am running Lion on my machine. Why in the world would I need a second instance of Lion running on a machine already running Lion? Unless there is some sort of cloud integration, I just don't see the benefit of it.

BTW, this was not a rhetorical question, if you really do have a good reason why to run Lion on a Lion box, please let me know.
  • Reply 28 of 62
    Does anybody know if this would enable me to test-drive Lion while running 10.6.8 as my production environment? In other words: if I put Parallels 7 on my 10.6.8 is there a way I can create a 10.7 VM (e.g. separate disk with 10.6.8, upgrade that to Lion, then move that to a VM?)
  • Reply 29 of 62
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I'm curious about the reasons people still require Parallels and VMWare.
  • Reply 30 of 62
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Paxman - You claim that I said the following:

"Quote:

Originally Posted by Kibitzer

We come here for the rumors and news, if you can't deal with it, no one is forcing you to stay."

You used that fabricated quote - attributed to me - to say the following:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Can you really not distinguish between this and a regular rumour / news report?

The news is that there is a new product. Give me some highlights by all means but don't feed me the entire marketing campaign. That's just insulting. Post a link if need be. As for rumor, there was precious little.

No one is forcing me to stay? Because I criticized AI? And I can deal with it. That's exactly what I did. I voiced a complaint, which I totally stand by.

I never said any such thing - aplnub did. See the following:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

It doesn't look that way at all. Read their stories when Apple releases a new product or any other stories where new products are released. They are all done the same. Get over yourselves. We come here for the rumors and news, if you can't deal with it, no one is forcing you to stay.

Don't put words in people's mouths falsely, Paxman. If you are going to attribute a quote to somebody, at least you could have the decency to attribute it to the right person.
  • Reply 31 of 62
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If you are a web developer and need to test your site against IE.

If you are an OS X developer and want to run beta OS on a different partition

If you occasionally need Windows, perhaps to edit MS Access files

If you need to log into a Windows network VPN that only allows Windows clients

I'm sure there are plenty of reasons
  • Reply 32 of 62
    Quote:

I use a Windows only accounting app. Its the only thing and its a pain because there is no integration between it and Addressbook, iCal etc. I would change except changing accounting software is a big pain and is very time-consuming. I have the choice between accountedge and moneyworks. Moneyworks strikes me as being the much superior product but unfortunately I have not found a singe accountant in my part of the world who has any knowledge of it. I live in fear of accounting software and so I stay with what I have. One day I will feel brave and do what I know one day I must
  • Reply 33 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

You claim that I said the following:

"Quote:

Originally Posted by Kibitzer

We come here for the rumors and news, if you can't deal with it, no one is forcing you to stay."

You used that fabricated quote - attributed to me - to say the following:

I never said any such thing - aplnub did. See the following:

Don't put words in people's mouths falsely. If you are going to attribute a quote to somebody, at least you could have the decency to attribute it to the right person.

Huh??? I was going to reply to the two of you but decided only to reply to aplnub... or so I thought. No idea how I managed to screw up your id's. (I'm kind of almost impressed). I'll correct it now.

My apologies.
  • Reply 34 of 62
    Quote:

Me too. Our household began migrating to Mac three years ago and ditched our last Windows machine two years ago. Never bothered with Parallels or VMWare. Never missed Windows - never needed it. Always had access to all of the old Windows docs and files that we wanted.
  • Reply 35 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Huh??? I was going to reply to the two of you but decided only to reply to aplnub... or so I thought. No idea how I managed to screw up your id's. (I'm kind of almost impressed). I'll correct it now.

My apologies.

Thanks. Mistakes happen!
  • Reply 36 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ianmerry View Post

It's pretty poor that if you'd bought version 6 on July 1st as I did, you'll be expected to pay for an upgrade. Not good service to a new user.

Yes, $49.99 upgrade pricing strikes me as rather poor, especially for a product that is on annual release schedule and how the discount is identical to those switching from a competing product.
  • Reply 37 of 62
    Quote:

I would like to run Snow Leopard in Parallels on Lion machines.

I'm unable to migrate my business Macs to Lion as certain software I have are not yet Lion compatible.
  • Reply 38 of 62
    I'd like to use it to run Leopard to run an older version of Adobe CS. I presently using Snow Leopard which breaks it, and the upgrade to the newest CS versions is "rather steep."

I would assume it would be easer than rebooting, as I presently do, which is a PITA. I assume performance wouldn't suck. Fusion or Parallels?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

If you are a web developer and need to test your site against IE.

If you are an OS X developer and want to run beta OS on a different partition

If you occasionally need Windows, perhaps to edit MS Access files

If you need to log into a Windows network VPN that only allows Windows clients

I'm sure there are plenty of reasons

• Reply 39 of 62
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I tried Parallels once as a novelty. An expensive experiment considering a new copy of Windows was needed. I thought it was fairly clunky switching from one environment to the other. I would rather just fire up a real Windows PC if I need to work in Windows.

The beauty I find is once the VM is created and Windows 7 is installed you can make a copy and keep it untouched. Then when the inevitable slow down occurs or worse you can trash it. Duplicate the copy so you still have a virgin back up and be off running again before a PC could even run a repair diagnostic.
  • Reply 40 of 62
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The beauty I find is once the VM is created and Windows 7 is installed you can make a copy and keep it untouched. Then when the inevitable slow down occurs or worse you can trash it. Duplicate the copy so you still have a virgin back up and be off running again before a PC could even run a repair diagnostic.

Or revert back to a smooth running snapshot.