Apple rumored to use thinner, lighter, safer battery for iPad 3

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple is said to have chosen two suppliers to provide batteries that will be thinner and lighter, but also up to 30 percent more expensive, for its third-generation iPad.

Simply Technology and Dynapack International Technology have both been tapped for the next-generation batteries, according to Taiwan Economic News. Both companies are said to currently supply batteries for Apple's iPad and MacBook lineup.

The report said Apple's third-generation iPad will be mass-produced in the first quarter of 2012. The device's battery is said to have been redesigned to be thinner and lighter, and will reportedly offer a longer service life than the battery found in the iPad 2.

"Furthermore, the new battery pack will also be required to meet CTIA IEE 1625 standard for better quality and safety reliability, a trend that has been commonly seen nowadays, especially in the U.S.," the report said.

The new thinner, lighter and safer battery will also reportedly come at a higher price for Apple, costing between 20 percent and 30 percent more than the battery currently found in the iPad 2.

Both Simplo and Dynapack are rumored to begin providing batteries to Apple in the fourth quarter of calendar 2011. That would put the company on track to begin production of the so-called "iPad 3" soon after, and would also put Simplo and Dynapack in a position to earn record quarterly revenues.

Last month it was said that Apple was already near the trial production phase for its third-generation iPad. The device is expected to have a high-resolution screen, similar to the Retina Display found on the iPhone 4.

That retina display is expected to be provided by three major suppliers in order to meet growing demand for Apple's iPad lineup. LG Display, Samsung Electronics and Sharp have all been rumored to be in the supply chain for Apple's next iPad.

Also in August, Apple was said to have e begun trial production of the proprietary A6 mobile processor that's expected to power the next iPad 3 and, eventually, a sixth-generation iPhone. A previous report from the Taiwan Economic News named Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. as the new manufacturer of the chip, reportedly snagging a role formally filled by Samsung.

The ARM-based A6 is said to incorporate TSMC's 28-nanometer process and 3D stacking technology. The chipmaker's "silicon interposer" and "bump on trace" methods are also said to be utilized in the next-generation chip, which is scheduled to be finalized in the first quarter of 2012.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    What a surprise! I expected it to be thicker, heavier and more dangerous.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I think Samsung's Ultrabooks will have 1500 charges before reduced to 80% capacity. I wonder if that means a new battery tech, and if Apple will adopt it short order.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post

First of all, that's what she said!

Secondly, I think the take away from the story is that it'll be thinner and lighter without reducing the yield. Battery tech doesn't change quickly so this rumour is good news.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    Quote:

My wife claims that would be me.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:

Your thinking of the new MS tablet.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think Samsung's Ultrabooks will have 1500 charges before reduced to 80% capacity. I wonder if that means a new battery tech, and if Apple will adopt it short order....

Apple has been the industry leader in battery technology for years and years now. I rather doubt that Samsung has anything that Apple doesn't.

Apple also has patented some proprietary battery tech that involves exclusive materials licences and therefore cannot be duplicated by anyone. The rumour was that it involved a 30% or more increase in battery life for the same size battery.

Perhaps this is it coming to market.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Apple has been the industry leader in battery technology for years and years now. I rather doubt that Samsung has anything that Apple doesn't.

Apple also has patented some proprietary battery tech that involves exclusive materials licences and therefore cannot be duplicated by anyone. The rumour was that it involved a 30% or more increase in battery life for the same size battery.

They appear to have some new tech: http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/30/s...e-go-hands-on/

PS: Check out the collapsable Ethernet port. When I see this I expect to start seeing a smaller connector or it to be taken out completely with access via an adapter, like USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt. Notebooks will get smaller and this will not be an ideal solution for too long.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Just as a note, the 3D tech TSMC will be using is not, as some writers have stated, the same 3D tech Intel has invented. TSMC is stacking chips.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 9 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They appear to have some new tech ... Check out the collapsable Ethernet port. ...

I don't see anything new about the battery tech here, but I'm sure it's not crap. Samsung has a good reputation for building (some) quality stuff, but they are not exactly innovators or inventors.

The collapsable Ethernet port for instance is almost identical to Apple's patent for he same thing that came out just before the original Macbook Air.

Apple chose ultimately not to use it, but it looks very very similar to me.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    Quote:

I don't see anything new about the battery tech here, but I'm sure it's not crap. Samsung has a good reputation for building (some) quality stuff, but they are not exactly innovators or inventors.

Besides the statement "1500 charges"? You could argue they are lying but I think the simplest answer is that they are incorporating some new materials and/or power management, just like Apple took its batteries from 300 charges to 1000.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Apple's current batteries are unsafe?

A future battery being safer doesn't have to mean that the current ones are unsafe. They could be (and I believe are) very safe now and still have room to be made safer.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    Thinner....THINNER.....THINNER! Its amazing how Apple does it. Ipad 2 is pretty thin as it is. Hard to imagine it getting much thinner.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:

I got a story for this one. So I am in a hostel last summer, enjoying San Fran, visiting family, biking across the bridge to soscillito etc. One night, I wake up cause I get electric shock on my leg (where my iPod touch was charging) and see a fire coming out of the top of the touch (opposite the sleep wake button). The comp I borrowed - thank god a cheap compaq, is totally fired, I couldn't even pull the charging cable out. The touch works perfectly but now has an extra hole the size of the headphone jack at the top.

Apple was nice enough to replace the device no questions asked, but I am a supporter of safer batteries and electronics in general.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I don't know exactly where i heard this so I can't follow up nor check validity. In part though the info supported your message here that Apple had patented battery tech at its disposal. That tech is one of the reasons Apple iOS device have been doing so well battery wise.

Quote:

• Reply 15 of 41
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    The iPad always rolls out a few months after the iPhone and has all the same stuff. There's almost no point predicting the iPad 3 separately from the iPhone 5.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    Quote:

Seriously do you not read labels on batteries or do you just ignore them because nothing has happened to you involving a battery.

As to Lithium Polymer batteries many are very capable of exploding or catching fire. Apparently the batteries Apple uses greatly reduce this risk. If you want to see some interesting fires look on the internet for lithium battery fires or go to some of the RC sites and look for the battery safety pages. The batteries used in RC toys are possibly the least safe variants of Lithium polymer batteries so what you see is the extreme case. There are many variant that are far safer though.

In any event there isn't a battery made that shouldn't be considered dangerous to one extent or another. Some like your care battery can be extremely dangerous.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

Thinner....THINNER.....THINNER! Its amazing how Apple does it. Ipad 2 is pretty thin as it is. Hard to imagine it getting much thinner.

It's thin enough. Hey, I have an idea! Keep the iPad 2 the same size, and fill it with a lighter battery that gives it 18-20 hours of battery life.

Steve is always in love with thin, but often forgets that people outside of an office would like to use his wonderful toys for more than a few (okay, ten) hours a day.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

A future battery being safer doesn't have to mean that the current ones are unsafe. They could be (and I believe are) very safe now and still have room to be made safer.

Yeah they can make them safer but you can't let people think they are "SAFE". Safe seems to be the word democrats use when they don't want to take responsibility for anything. The problem in the case of batteries is that you can't store a whole bunch on energy in one place and not have manageable safety issues.

I'm a firm believer in teaching people that some things, batteries are one example, are never absolutely safe. As such they require responsible handling. Obviously the dangers vary with the type of battery but they all can significantly impact the environment around them if used in an uncontrolled way. Even the lowly D-Cell battery can start a fire in the right situation. Your lead acid care battery can explode in your face if you don't handle it correctly. The list goes on, the important thing is to educate yourself with respect to the battery in question.

The guy that originally posted this query about batteries kinda shocked me as it is a bit of ignorance that can get you into a lot of trouble real fast. Hopefully people reading this thread will realize that batteries require safety awareness. Further safety practices should fit the battery technology in question.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:

Samsung is the biggest battery maker in the world and they've been making batteries for a LONGG time with their SDI division. They also supply Apple with batteries.

Lets be honest here, Apple doesnt MAKE anything within its company.

Apple just cant get away from Samsung, unfortunately.

Apple's tactics are to take whats available on the market and spin it, using its own marketing terms and present it to the market as something that is "unique".

Is it too hard to acknowledge others who have the technology some credit where credit is due?

Are people (fans) that butthurt about other companies having better technologies than Apple?

It's always, "NO! Apple has something better! NO! You are wrong, Apple will easily beat that with their new technology. OH YEAH! And its PATENTED! HA!"
  • Reply 20 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

It's thin enough. Hey, I have an idea! Keep the iPad 2 the same size, and fill it with a lighter battery that gives it 18-20 hours of battery life.

Steve is always in love with thin, but often forgets that people outside of an office would like to use his wonderful toys for more than a few (okay, ten) hours a day.

Time passes fast enough while using the iPad. A battery that last that long means one might never leave the couch!

OK I'm kidding in part here. iPad battery life could be improved some as it can run down when you least want it to. On the other hand I can remember more than once running out the battery on my iPad wondering where all the time went.

This brings up another issue. I really wish that Apple would bring the clock facility and timing task over to the iPad. It would be nice to turn on an alarm to whack you after say two hours.