Apple rumored to use thinner, lighter, safer battery for iPad 3

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Apple's current batteries are unsafe?

Seems like it.

Its a bad decision on the part of Apple to release this information to the public.

They are opening themselves up for lawsuits for negligence.

The lawyers are gonna have a field day with this.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

It's thin enough. Hey, I have an idea! Keep the iPad 2 the same size, and fill it with a lighter battery that gives it 18-20 hours of battery life.

Steve is always in love with thin, but often forgets that people outside of an office would like to use his wonderful toys for more than a few (okay, ten) hours a day.

While I'm not too crazy about it being too much thinner, a little lighter wouldn't hurt.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

This brings up another issue. I really wish that Apple would bring the clock facility and timing task over to the iPad. It would be nice to turn on an alarm to whack you after say two hours.

Plenty of 3rd-party apps.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    c cc c Posts: 8member
    If there is any chance that Apple is planning to incorporate Thunderbolt in an upcoming iPad, they would benefit from reducing the battery size, because the TB controller hardware is pretty big and power-hungry, compared to most other I/O hardware.

Of course having TB would be great if enough devices become available in the next few months. And you could use cheap readily-available MiniDisplayPort adapters to have video out from that TB port-- VGA for projectors, HDMI for TVs, DVI for displays, etc.

Although I was pretty happy with the original iPad's thinness and lightness, I still appreciate the improvements there in the iPad 2. I won't care much if the iPad gets any thinner, ergonomically...but any further weight reduction is still a bonus.

@ solipsism: "That's what she said". Thanks! Pretty sure I ruptured a few things laughing at that. But it was worth it...
  • Reply 25 of 41
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Seems like it.

Its a bad decision on the part of Apple to release this information to the public.

I suggest you just make a master post saying "This is terrible news for Apple" and copy and paste, to save yourself time.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    Quote:

Seems like it.

Are you serious? What they said is that they are trying to make them safer. Every Li-Po or Li-ion battery ever made has a risk and any that are sold in the US have a warning stating something along the lines of "Potential for fire or burning" or "May exploded". Doesn't matter if it's in a HTC phone, Motoralo Phone, Apple Laptop, Traxxis RC Buggy, or Tesla Roadster.

And I'm not even sure where to start with your previous argument except to say that Apple designs and develops many process and materials and then has other companies produce them. That doesn't mean that the other companies by default get to sell them or use them in other products that aren't Apple.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... snagging a role formally filled by Samsung.

formerly
  • Reply 28 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by C C View Post

If there is any chance that Apple is planning to incorporate Thunderbolt in an upcoming iPad, they would benefit from reducing the battery size, because the TB controller hardware is pretty big and power-hungry, compared to most other I/O hardware.

Of course having TB would be great if enough devices become available in the next few months. And you could use cheap readily-available MiniDisplayPort adapters to have video out from that TB port-- VGA for projectors, HDMI for TVs, DVI for displays, etc.

By the way I suspect the chance of Apple incorporating Thunderbolt in an iPad by early next year is pretty low. But since it provides a single, versatile, compact port which, among other things, can easily provide video-out options, it's certainly a nice pipedream...
  • Reply 29 of 41
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsimpsen View Post

My wife claims that would be me.

huh now I know why apple nerds get laid more often

thinner , nah

lighter, nah

longer lasting, now that's the one

women always prefer a longer lasting one! not micro soft
  • Reply 30 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Besides the statement "1500 charges"? You could argue they are lying but I think the simplest answer is that they are incorporating some new materials and/or power management, just like Apple took its batteries from 300 charges to 1000.

Probably so. According to the cited article the Samsung UB is still using Lithium Polymer...of some kind.

Lithium Polymer tech should have the potential for some significant tweaking on the materials side.

Really interested in seeing more info if Apple indeed has something new here...whether it's an improvement on existing Li-Po stuff (I agree that's more likely)...or something completely different.
  • Reply 31 of 41
    I want the iPad cover that changes its rolled up color to be more compatible with the image on-screen. Like in the photo. Kewel.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuzzMega View Post

I want the iPad cover that changes its rolled up color to be more compatible with the image on-screen. Like in the photo. Kewel.

A bit off topic: I want my iPad display to give me stocks, weather, time and/or notifications when I flip open only the first flap on the Smart Cover. If the orientation is right I can get the time, but it's small. This, of course, requires a change for the next iPad that puts magnets in the 2nd section of the cover so the iPad knows it's still not opened? so maybe next time.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

While I'm not too crazy about it being too much thinner, a little lighter wouldn't hurt.

While I'm not a fan of the Kindle DX, I think that is exactly the thinness and weight the ipad should shoot for. I'd hate a phone that thin, but a ten inch tablet does well at that size, I think. It'll be several iterations coming, but I think that is where they'll take it, eventually.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

...It would be nice to turn on an alarm to whack you after say two hours.

I wouldn't want my alarm to whack me! Is the alarm now part of the mafia?
  • Reply 35 of 41
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vorais View Post

Every Li-Po or Li-ion battery ever made has a risk and any that are sold in the US have a warning stating something along the lines of "Potential for fire or burning" or "May exploded".

Show me the evidence, the proof.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enzos View Post

formerly

This isn't the first time this has happened at Apple Insider.

I guess Samsung doesn't have casual day at work. Instead, they produce chips while in top hat and tails.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

huh now I know why apple nerds get laid more often

thinner , nah

lighter, nah

longer lasting, now that's the one

women always prefer a longer lasting one! not micro soft

Alas, some men do, too.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    Quote:

Go look at any battery in your house and come back. They all say it.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    Quote:

Are you freaking kidding me? Look at a battery.

Oh, but if we're mincing words, the battery won't say "may exploded", you're absolutely right.

Oh, unless the battery's Lithium-Thiotimoline. Then the simultaneous future and past tense is absolutely correct.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    Quote:

http://bbs.dianyuan.com/bbs/u/35/1131956666.pdf

UL 1642 (UL stands for Underwriters Laboratory)

I will save you the trouble of reading all of it. Go to page 23:

20.1 A battery shall be marked with the manufacturer?s name, trade name, or trademark and model designation.

20.2 A battery shall be marked with the word ′′WARNING′′ and the following or an equivalent statement: ′′Risk of fire, explosion, and burns. Do not recharge, disassemble, crush, heat above 212°F, or incinerate.′′

You are also welcome to read the rest of the document to see the normal conditions under which batteries can be dangerous.

Btw, your comments have said a lot about your intelligent, or lack of.