Apple shipping first Thunderbolt Displays to stores, resellers

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A pair of new reports suggest Apple is shipping its new 27-inch Thunderbolt Display to its retail stores and resellers this week, while individual pre-orders are said to have shipping estimates of Sept. 15.

MacRumors reported on Tuesday that the new displays are arriving this week and will be available for purchase "very soon." Meanwhile, Electronista noted that it has heard of Sept. 15 shipping estimates for online pre-order customers.

Apple unveiled the $999 27-inch LED display, billed as the world's first display to take advantage of the new Thunderbolt I/O technology, in July, promising availability within 60 days. The display requires a Mac with a Thunderbolt I/O port.

The Thunderbolt Display features a 16:9 edge-to-edge glass design with an ultra-wide 178 degree viewing angle made possible via IPS technology. It also includes a built-in FaceTime HD video camera, a 2.1 speaker system, MagSafe charger, three USB 2.0 ports, one Firewire 800 port, one Gigabit Ethernet port and a Thunderbolt port.

Up to five additional Thunderbolt devices can be daisy chained to the display. Additionally, eligible Macs, such as the MacBook Pro, can run two Thunderbolt Displays.

?The Apple Thunderbolt Display is the ultimate docking station for your Mac notebook,? Philip Schiller, Apple?s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing, said when the display was first unveiled. "With just one cable, users can dock with their new display and connect to high performance peripherals, network connections and audio devices.?

Apple and Intel co-developed the Thunderbolt standard, combining the chipmaker's Light Peak technology with the Mini DisplayPort standard. Thunderbolt currently supports two channels of 10Gbps transfers in both directions and is expected to eventually reach speeds of 100Gbps.\t The Mac maker has quickly added the technology to many of its Mac computers, including the MacBook Pro, iMac, MacBook Air and Mac Mini.

The first Thunderbolt external RAID storage options arrived on the Apple online store in June. LaCie was scheduled to release the more consumer-oriented Little Big Disk Thunderbolt drive in "Summer 2011," but has yet to announce a more specific release date.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 91
    modemode Posts: 163member
    What a completely beautiful technological wonder this display is.

Too bad it's a completely useless piece of shit.

How embarrassing for Apple.

\
  • Reply 2 of 91
    Mine shows estimated shipping 9/29. Oct Amex is gonna be spensive with that and a few unlocked world iPhones!
  • Reply 3 of 91
    Tempted, but I'd rather wait until the Thunderbolt display has some USB3.0 ports, and maybe a speaker out jack so I only need to connect power and Thundebolt to my laptop.
  • Reply 4 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode View Post

What a completely beautiful technological wonder this display is.

Too bad it's a completely useless piece of shit.

How embarrassing for Apple.

\

Can't take a break from being a useless troll for five seconds, can you?
  • Reply 5 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Glad you said it.
  • Reply 6 of 91
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

I'm sure it's easy for Mode. It will leave him just being useless, which I'm certain he gets told that quite often.
  • Reply 7 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Tempted, but I'd rather wait until the Thunderbolt display has some USB3.0 ports, and maybe a speaker out jack so I only need to connect power and Thundebolt to my laptop.

Do you already have USB3 devices? Just curious what you see hanging off of it. I'm planning on an external SSDs to store VMs but Thunderbolt will do fine.
  • Reply 8 of 91
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Mine shows estimated shipping 9/29. Oct Amex is gonna be spensive with that and a few unlocked world iPhones!

Mine shows shipping on 9/15. I ordered mine literally one hour after news broke out and after purchasing their regular LED Cinema display for my new MBA.

It was disheartening to return that beauty back and resort to using the 13" screen at the office but I anxiously await the Thunderbolt model. Having a wired ethernet port sealed the deal for me.

They are great monitors.
  • Reply 9 of 91
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Although I would hate to give up the real estate of my 30" Cinema, the color is probably much better. The florescent tubes in the 30" don't produce very even color from side to side. Of course I don't have Thunderbolt on my MacPro so it is useless as Mode says.
  • Reply 10 of 91
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Although I would hate to give up the real estate of my 30" Cinema, the color is probably much better. The florescent tubes in the 30" don't produce very even color from side to side. Of course I don't have Thunderbolt on my MacPro so it is useless as Mode says.

They aren't out yet. If they don't release a new Mac Pro soon they may have a new GPU for current Mac Pros or a cable solution that will allow splitting the DisplayPort and data into a single channel. Though I imagine the GPU is most likely.
  • Reply 11 of 91
    My Canadian order reads:

Apple Thunderbolt Display (27-inch)

Available: 20 Sep

Delivers 22 Sep via Standard Shipping
  • Reply 12 of 91
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Are there thunderbolt hubs out yet in case somebody does not want to run a future hypothetical thunderbolt backup drive through the display. As good as daisy chain is a hub still seems more practical to me.

Those displays are awesome btw, I wish I will be able to afford one day.
  • Reply 13 of 91
    gary54gary54 Posts: 169member
    are on the market which enable someone to actually put it to use, all TB is worth is an oo and an ahhh. Display? That doesn't take advantage of the bandwidth. It's just a connector. To what?
  • Reply 14 of 91
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Are there thunderbolt hubs out yet in case somebody does not want to run a future hypothetical thunderbolt backup drive through the display. As good as daisy chain is a hub still seems more practical to me.

Well, you could connect the external drive to the computer, and the display to the external drive.

Quote:

Those displays are awesome btw, I wish I will be able to afford one day.

I can hear that self appointed troll monitor Tallest Skil now, saying "Stop. Trolling." It's not Apple's fault that you are too poor to buy a such a magnificent display from Apple. And if someone would prefer to have a Thunderbolt adapter with all the same connectors as the Apple display has but without the monitor, would that person be called a troll as well?
  • Reply 15 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gary54 View Post

are on the market which enable someone to actually put it to use, all TB is worth is an oo and an ahhh.

Except every Mac but the Mac Pro can use this.

Quote:

It's just a connector. To what?

More Thunderbolt stuff, as defined in the spec.

I think you're just playing dumb about this, in which case, stop wasting our time.
  • Reply 16 of 91
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

For color accuracy this isn't the way to go, and the led panels are somewhat of a downgrade in that regard from what you have assuming it's in good condition. If you're a photographer, videographer, etc. there are other options you should also consider.

That aside, I thought they were making some method of backward compatibility. Another point, mini displayport never supported 10 bit display signals. On the windows side there are certain supported display/graphics card combinations with a normal displayport connector. I'm wondering if this will come to apple via thunderbolt. Support wasn't added in Lion from what I can tell but I don't know if this is something that can or would be added in a 10.7.x release.
  • Reply 17 of 91
    I'm curious as to how the built in subwoofer sounds. Wouldn't it make the whole display shake slightly?
  • Reply 18 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kubrick View Post

I'm curious as to how the built in subwoofer sounds. Wouldn't it make the whole display shake slightly?

There's no real subwoofer. It's the same "2.1" system as in the 27" LED Cinema Display.

If they've actually managed to shoehorn one in there, color me impressed and happy to be wrong.
  • Reply 19 of 91
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

Except every Mac but the Mac Pro can use this.

More Thunderbolt stuff, as defined in the spec.

I think you're just playing dumb about this, in which case, stop wasting our time.

Not every Mac, it is only available on new Macs
  • Reply 20 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kubrick View Post

Some of the older Sony CRT TVs had built-in subwoofers and they actually sounded pretty good. I wouldn't think it would shake the screen unless you were putting a huge driver in there. It's not like they are going to use some Kicker 12" subs, it's just for a little added bass. Driver specialization in most cases results in better sound. I don't know the particular details about the audio in the on topic displays though.