Parallels Desktop 7 available with 90 new features including Lion integration

Comments

• Reply 41 of 62
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm curious about the reasons people still require Parallels and VMWare.

Me ... to test stuff I create for the web and to know as much as I can in case I get asked to help someone else using it. My wife uses it to access Real Estate related stuff which is Windblows only. We'd both love to not have to.
  • Reply 42 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Or revert back to a smooth running snapshot.

True, I just never used them. BTW Can a snapshot be moved to another Mac if required and opened like a duplicated VM?
  • Reply 43 of 62
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

BTW, the entire article reads like a press release. If it is, you should say so.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Ouch. It sure looks that way.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Masquerading as journalism. I suspect money was involved here. Pretty much a new low for AI.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

It doesn't look that way at all. Read their stories when Apple releases a new product or any other stories where new products are released. They are all done the same. Get over yourselves. We come here for the rumors and news, if you can't deal with it, no one is forcing you to stay.

No new lows - and likely no "payola" (and if you remember that term you're dating yourself, LoL). AI does a once-over lightly on press releases and company rollout articles all. the. time.

It's content. It's quick. And as noted, critical examination can come later if warranted by interest. Attribution as in "This article was prepared using materials released by [company X]." would be nice, but a) some the PR materials are re-written more than others, so the line between articles and what another poster called "infarticles" (nice) is often blurry, and b) I'm not holding my breath until AI does so.

So that's it. Nothing to see here. Move on or move out.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

Yes, $49.99 upgrade pricing strikes me as rather poor, especially for a product that is on annual release schedule and how the discount is identical to those switching from a competing product.

Parallel's pricing stands out like a sore thumb even more since Apple's OS's themselves have gone from $129 to $29. Like buying a Porsche and then paying more for a GPS add-on than the engine. (Or a better analogy of your choice.... )
  • Reply 44 of 62
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I tried Parallels once as a novelty. An expensive experiment considering a new copy of Windows was needed. I thought it was fairly clunky switching from one environment to the other. I would rather just fire up a real Windows PC if I need to work in Windows.

Yes. A lot of time has passed since that "experiment", I presume.

Emulation software is not a "novelty", and in many fields it's a necessity (from cross-platform software development, to running some Windows only corporate thing, etc).

And it's for people that can't just "fire up a real Windows PC"...
  • Reply 45 of 62
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

True, I just never used them. BTW Can a snapshot be moved to another Mac if required and opened like a duplicated VM?

Never have tried but interesting thought.

I have done roll backs with VMWare Fusion and they "Just Work".
  • Reply 46 of 62
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Quote:

Me ... to test stuff I create for the web and to know as much as I can in case I get asked to help someone else using it. My wife uses it to access Real Estate related stuff which is Windblows only. We'd both love to not have to.

From .NET development, to cross-browser (mainly IE) behavior testing, to Windows-only apps (lots of them, especially in, er, specialized fields), to setting up Linux environments for Amazon EC2, to test under 2-3 different OS versions (even OS X versions), the list goes on...
  • Reply 47 of 62
    Quote:

Does Parallels let you move a VM with Windows 7 from one Mac to another without breaking the MS license set up these days? I like that feature on the Fusion as I seem to upgrade my Mac so often.

I've never had a problem with it.
  • Reply 48 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm curious about the reasons people still require Parallels and VMWare.

I need Internet Exploder because the call system we need to access for our work only works in IE because of a bunch of talentless hacks who couldn't develop their way out of a paper bag took the FrontPage route and developed a site that is not only worse than death to use but won't actually work on the best browsers on the market.

CrossOver won't work due to their hacks to make IE work is actually using the FireFox engine which won't work with the site due to the problem being a rendering engine one.

Incidentally the site doesn't work in IE9 either.

Stay well away from any product developed by Astea International. Their products are nothing more than a "look what I can do" for the developers than being a properly designed system.

I'm actually teaching myself PHP and MySQL so that I can develop my own system. :-)
  • Reply 49 of 62
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

I have a quick question. I am running Lion on my machine. Why in the world would I need a second instance of Lion running on a machine already running Lion? Unless there is some sort of cloud integration, I just don't see the benefit of it.

BTW, this was not a rhetorical question, if you really do have a good reason why to run Lion on a Lion box, please let me know.

For the same reasons that Windows users may want to run multiple copies of Windows, or Linux users may want to run multiple copies.
  • Reply 50 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foljs View Post

From .NET development, to cross-browser (mainly IE) behavior testing, to Windows-only apps (lots of them, especially in, er, specialized fields), to setting up Linux environments for Amazon EC2, to test under 2-3 different OS versions (even OS X versions), the list goes on...

You answered the wrong person, Solipism asked it not me, like you I was giving reasons I use vms.
  • Reply 51 of 62
    ...reads just like a press release... That is exactly what I was thinking from the first paragraph.
  • Reply 52 of 62
    Quote:

Why in the world would I need a second instance of Lion running on a machine already running Lion?

You want to test a new version of a piece of software without trashing the install of the current version.

You want to try out a new piece of software without dealing with dodgy uninstallers that don't clear everything out. Also you can reset the clock on trialling time-limited software by installing it again on a new VM.

You want to let someone use your machine but keep them well away from your stuff on it. Give them a VM to play in, and delete it when they're done.

In a corporate environment, you want a (virtual) computer that's entirely under your control.

I mostly use VMs to give me a different OS without needing a new physical machine, but I do run virtual-XP-on-XP and virtual-Win7-on-Win7 too.

Alan.
  • Reply 53 of 62
    Quote:

BTW Can a snapshot be moved to another Mac if required and opened like a duplicated VM?

Not as far as I know, but the VM is just a bunch of files that you can copy between machines. VMWare (Parallels too, probably) is smart enough to realise the guest isn't running where it was and asks if you've copied or moved it.
  • Reply 54 of 62
    Here's something I've been wondering. If I got a MacBook Air and put Windows 7 on it, can I then run OSX Lion in a virtual machine?
  • Reply 55 of 62
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Quote:

I have a quick question. I am running Lion on my machine. Why in the world would I need a second instance of Lion running on a machine already running Lion? Unless there is some sort of cloud integration, I just don't see the benefit of it.

BTW, this was not a rhetorical question, if you really do have a good reason why to run Lion on a Lion box, please let me know.

As a sandbox for connecting to the outside world?

Granted, it's not like there are a lot of viruses and such that attack OSX these days, but given the growing popularity of OS X, that day is probably coming.

If a virtual machine gets infected, you scrub it and start over.
  • Reply 56 of 62
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    With previous versions of Parallels, you could switch between full-screen mode and (the menu that got you to) OS X by pressing a key combination like ctrl+option. That went away with P7. Anyone know how to bring that feature back? I hate running the mouse into the corner on my Windows screen and having that menu pop up.
  • Reply 57 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aedwards View Post

Here's something I've been wondering. If I got a MacBook Air and put Windows 7 on it, can I then run OSX Lion in a virtual machine?

Possibly if you have the Windows version of Parallels. You can't do it in VMWare because it doesn't support Lion installations yet. Even then it would have to be on Mac hardware so doing it Windows to Mac isn't going to be as easy as Mac to Windows.
  • Reply 58 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Possibly if you have the Windows version of Parallels. You can't do it in VMWare because it doesn't support Lion installations yet. Even then it would have to be on Mac hardware so doing it Windows to Mac isn't going to be as easy as Mac to Windows.

There s a beta version on VMWare Fusion for OS X available which runs Lion very well.
  • Reply 59 of 62
    Quote:

Virtual machines (VM) are extremely valuable for developers, testers, server administrators, and even sales and marketing folks. It allows you to create and configure a machine with the exact software, for example, very unstable beta software, additional network cards (on different subnets if desired), storage devices/drives, unique security configurations, and much, much more. For example, a product development team can build one (or more) VM "image" with a special configuration and product version, and hand it out to 50 sales people to use for product demonstrations.

Another example is if you have one physical computer/server and need to run two server products that require different system configurations, for example, different dependent product versions. Using two virtual machines on one physical machine can be a cost effective solution that requires less hardware, RAM, disk drives, etc; and one computer is likely to consume much less power and physical space than two computers.

Doing this allows you to create all kinds of machine configuration variations without having to worry about loading your base OS with all kinds garbage. Plus, you can easily shutdown one image and start up another in seconds, all on one computer.

Cheers.
  • Reply 60 of 62
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    So VMware just released Fusion 4, why isn't there a press release disguised as a story for that too? MacRumors reported it, but didn't make it seem like it was paid for.