Apple shipping first Thunderbolt Displays to stores, resellers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Well, you could connect the external drive to the computer, and the display to the external drive.

When Thunderbolt was announced, didn't they say that the displays have to be the last item in the daisy chain? So connecting a drive to the display wouldn't work, would it? Or is that only true if the display is using DisplayPort instead of Thunderbolt?
  • Reply 22 of 91
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    No matte display is a deal breaker. It is a health and productivity issue. No matte, no purchase. Full stop. Sign the matte display petition at MacMatte as thousands have already done:

http://macmatte.wordpress.com
  • Reply 23 of 91
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I hope a Thunderbolt Mac Pro will come out soon, now that this monitor is here.
  • Reply 24 of 91
    modemode Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

No matte display is a deal breaker. It is a health and productivity issue. No matte, no purchase. Full stop. Sign the matte display petition at MacMatte as thousands have already done:

Shhhhhhh... you'll be called a 'troll' by the fanboi's - they don't care that Apple is marketing displays to professionals who would never ever buy this product.
  • Reply 25 of 91
    The macrumors article also correctly noted that the Thunderbolt monitor has a FireWIre 800 port. This info is missing from the Appleinsider article..
  • Reply 26 of 91
    I'm sure it's a top quality display, but most users probably will find it a bit large and way too pricey. If Apple comes out with a smaller display for a few hundred bucks less, it will be a winner. For now I'd prefer Apple to support the USB 3.0 standard, at least until Thunderbolt peripherals become mainstream and more practical.
  • Reply 27 of 91
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode View Post

What a completely beautiful technological wonder this display is.

Too bad it's a completely useless piece of shit.

How embarrassing for Apple.

\

Its great for people who needs a color balance monitor but for the average Joe, you better off getting the same thing for 1/3 of the price and get anti-glare has a bonus.
  • Reply 28 of 91
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jafu View Post

I'm sure it's a top quality display, but most users probably will find it a bit large and way too pricey. If Apple comes out with a smaller display for a few hundred bucks less, it will be a winner. For now I'd prefer Apple to support the USB 3.0 standard, at least until Thunderbolt peripherals become mainstream and more practical.

What good will a USB3.0 hub do on a monitor that is designed to work on Macs that only have support for USB2.0? Remember, this is all coming off of Thunderbolt, which is much faster than USB3.0, so it's possible that a firmware update could allow these Thunderbolt displays to have USB3.0 once they start offering it in Macs.
  • Reply 29 of 91
    Quote:

+1. I fully support zunx's efforts.

PS: I am a fanboy. My first Apple; Apple II+. My first Mac; Mac 128.
  • Reply 30 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gary54 View Post

are on the market which enable someone to actually put it to use, all TB is worth is an oo and an ahhh. Display? That doesn't take advantage of the bandwidth. It's just a connector. To what?

For starters, the GigE, USB ports, Firewire 800, HD Camera, display audio and mic all hang off the Thunderbolt I/O channels. For now, I'm just seeing storage devices with Thunderbolt interfaces announced.

http://www.lacie.com/technologies/te...y.htm?id=10039 looks neat. I'm waiting for empty enclosures so I can do custom storage.
  • Reply 31 of 91

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Not every Mac, it is only available on new Macs

Which is? every single Mac but the Mac Pro. Like I said.

Originally Posted by Jafu View Post

I'm sure it's a top quality display, but most users probably will find it a bit large and way too pricey.

It's not for most users.

• Reply 32 of 91
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Which is… every single Mac but the Mac Pro. Like I said.

You have to understand that jfanning has a learning disability. When you say every Mac clearly implying every new Mac, save for the Mac Pro which you mentioned, he doesn't understand that you don't mean every Mac going back to 1984. He simply doesn't have the ability to think critically about what is written so you either have to go to painstaking lengths to cover every foolish and pointless angle or just ignore him.
  • Reply 33 of 91
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode View Post

What a completely beautiful technological wonder this display is.

Too bad it's a completely useless piece of shit.

How embarrassing for Apple.

\

I always love this self-centered worldview, useless for me = useless for basically everybody. It carries this nice assumption that one's value judgements are the only valid judgements.
  • Reply 34 of 91
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

are on the market which enable someone to actually put it to use, all TB is worth is an oo and an ahhh. Display? That doesn't take advantage of the bandwidth. It's just a connector. To what?

Adding FW800 and GbitEthernet to a MacBook Air is not taking advantage of TB?
  • Reply 35 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Tempted, but I'd rather wait until the Thunderbolt display has some USB3.0 ports, and maybe a speaker out jack so I only need to connect power and Thundebolt to my laptop.

PORTS

Three powered USB 2.0 ports

FireWire 800 port

Gigabit Ethernet port

Thunderbolt port

Kensington security slot

Apple Thunderbolt Display (27-inch)
  • Reply 36 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What good will a USB3.0 hub do on a monitor that is designed to work on Macs that only have support for USB2.0? Remember, this is all coming off of Thunderbolt, which is much faster than USB3.0, so it's possible that a firmware update could allow these Thunderbolt displays to have USB3.0 once they start offering it in Macs.

You don't need USB 3 support (whatever that means) to add a USB 3 port to a Mac. Both the 17" MBP and the Mac Pro can easily have a USB 3 port via a PCI expansion card (in the same manner as they could have eSATA ports for years), you can even add an eSATA port to any Mac once Apple put the optical drive on a SATA port.

TB just adds the option to add a USB 3 port (or technically any port that can be put on PCI which is basically everything) to all Macs that have TB.
  • Reply 37 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

you can even add an eSATA port to any Mac once Apple put the optical drive on a SATA port.

Would you like to explain to me how you're supposed to plug anything in to the aforementioned eSATA port via the? what, OPTICAL DRIVE'S SATA PORT when an eSATA port is larger than the slot for discs where the ODD once was?
  • Reply 38 of 91
    Quote:

My iMac 27 has 2 TB ports -- one drives an old 23" Cinema display through a mini-display - to zzz* adapter.

* whatever the Cinema Display uses -- too lazy to look it up

...and the Promise Pegasus is a thing of beauty and faster than the internal HDD.

... Only issue is that TimeMachine won't let me backup part of the pegasus to another part of the pegasus.
  • Reply 39 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

whatever the Cinema Display uses -- too lazy to look it up

DVI. Unless it's a plastic Cinema Display, then it's ADC.
  • Reply 40 of 91
    Quote:

In my 33 years of observing Apple, the number of times they have paid attention to a petition == 0.

Give it up, Apple doesn't even do [ask for input from] focus groups [just feedback]!