QuickBooks for Mac 2012 optimized for Lion, packs 50 new features

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Intuit on Wednesday announced QuickBooks for Mac 2012, the latest version of its financial software, with more than 50 new features designed to save small businesses time.

The company said the new features and enhancements in QuickBooks for Mac 2012 will give small businesses faster access to important information and simplify critical business tasks. The product will be available on Sept. 26.

"As more and more small businesses adopt Macs, we see increased adoption of QuickBooks for Mac," said Dan Wernikoff, senior vice president and general manager of Intuit's Financial Management Solutions division. "In response, we’ve recommitted ourselves to making the product even better. With Apple’s new Lion OS, we focused on a simple, elegant and easy to use native experience, while continuing to add new features that save small businesses time."

One of the key goals with the latest version of QuickBooks for Mac is faster access to important information. Intuit said QuickBooks for Mac makes it more intuitive and fast to find information with the 2012 version. New features include:

Improved Search: Use keywords to find items such as customer or vendor contacts, transactions, amounts and dates. Apply filters to refine search results or save searches for future reference.

Customer and Vendor History Panels: Get an at-a-glance view of customer details, such as open balances and notes, right next to open invoices. Small businesses can now complete transactions and answer customer questions quickly and easily.

Transaction List: Browse and sort forms by date, customer name, or other criteria while entering invoices, expenses and sales receipts. With all the information at one’s fingertips, it eliminates the need to flip through past transactions one by one.

"The new search feature is powerful. It helps me instantly track down specific transactions, customer contacts, reports - you name it," said Christine Holzmann of CH Graphic Designs, LLC in Peachtree City, Ga. "With the intuitive functionality of Spotlight or Google, search will save me a lot of time finding what I'm looking for in QuickBooks."

QuickBooks for Mac 2012 also features simplified multi-step tasks, which aim to save small businesses time on common, repetitive tasks, while also reducing bookkeeping errors. New features in this category include:

Batch Online Banking Transactions: Import multiple transactions from bank and credit card accounts to QuickBooks at once. Automatically create smart rules to match payees downloaded from online banking accounts to QuickBooks names.

Progress Invoicing: Easily create multiple invoices from a single estimate to bill for a project over time. Invoice by line item or by percentage of job estimates and easily track invoice details.

"The batch entry feature for online banking transactions saves me valuable time spent entering and renaming transactions one-by-one and it saves me from making errors in the process," said George Qualley of Qualley and Bleyhl, P.L.C. in Des Moines, Iowa. "By expediting transaction entry in a fool-proof way, QuickBooks gives me more time to focus on running my law firm."

In addition to adding timesaving features, Intuit will also introduce the Get Started Right program. With it, QuickBooks for Mac 2012 users will also receive one hour of free phone support with a QuickBooks expert.

Pricing and Availability

QuickBooks for Mac 2012 is scheduled to be available for purchase directly from Intuit at www.quickbooks.com/mac or by calling 888-729-1996 beginning Sept. 26. It is expected to be available at Apple stores, Apple.com, Amazon, Best Buy, Costco.com, Fry’s, MacZones, Office Depot, OfficeMax, and Staples on Oct. 9. Suggested retail prices are:

1-User: $229.95

2-User: $439.95

3-User: $599.95

Additional seats can be purchased for $209.95 each.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    At last multi-user! But where on earth is multi-currency? Hasn't QB heard of globalization? No accounting program in this day and age can expect to be taken seriously without multi-currency capability.

If Filemaker can make a totally consistent database across Windows and Mac, surely QB should have the resource to do likewise...

I would really like to use QB for Mac. I bought the previous version and liked it as far as it goes - but it just doesn't go anywhere near far enough. This new version seems to be better but without multi-currency, it is a non-starter for many prospective users - like me.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    In a subsequent press release, Intuit assured all Mac users that to maintain "ease of transition" to QB for Mac 2012 from previous versions, the user interface inconsistencies of earlier versions would be preserved and certain long engrained workarounds would remain as features.

sigh.........
  • Reply 3 of 22
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GordonComstock View Post

In a subsequent press release, Intuit assured all Mac users that to maintain "ease of transition" to QB for Mac 2012 from previous versions, the user interface inconsistencies of earlier versions would be preserved and certain long engrained workarounds would remain as features.

sigh.........

Including, presumably, the fact that a Mac user can't be a client for a Windows QuickBooks network.

double sigh....
  • Reply 4 of 22
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Again, Intuit is treating Mac users with no respect. If we upgraded to Lion, we were forced to pay full price for QB 2011 which really had no new features over 2010 except for multi-users. Now they expect us to pay full price to go to 2012 for a better search function?
  • Reply 5 of 22
    This product should be around $40 for the first seat. Intuit needs to re-evaulate! I'll be looking for an alternative on my windows partition.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Puh-leeze. QuickBooks is a piece of junk. So QuickBooks 2012 for Mac has finally caught up to QuickBooks 1995 for Windows?

QuickBooks for Mac will never, ever, ever, ever hold a candle to the BEST accounting package for the Mac, which is AccountEdge.

And anybody who believes that Intuit actually gives a damn about the Mac platform clearly hasn't been paying attention to how Intuit has treated all their loyal Quicken customers of over 20 years. Intuit is a horrible company that makes horrible products with horrible customer service (straight to you from India!).

I wouldn't give Intuit one more penny of my money if my life depended on it.

I support REAL COMPANIES that make GREAT PRODUCTS that WHOLEHEARTEDLY SUPPORT THE MAC... such as AccountEdge (for business accounting) and iBank (for personal finances).

Sure, AccountEdge and iBank both have their problems too, but at least they CARE about their Mac customers and WANT to continually make the best products for Mac users.

Intuit has shown their true colors, and they are a disgusting company.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Intuit, where is multi-currency support? Another epic fail.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    I've been using QkBks with assisted payroll on a PC Lap Top while the rest of the office runs on Macs for the last few years. I just got off the phone with Intuit Support and the Assisted Payroll service WILL NOT run on Macs. They just don't get it - Macs are taking over the business world and they are being left behind!!
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by awmawm View Post

Intuit, where is multi-currency support? Another epic fail.

Exactly! One of the many reasons I use AccountEdge, since I have clients in Australia.

Also, QuickBooks for Mac doesn't even let you create a purchase order from an estimate or an invoice. Um, hello, Intuit?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KenMD View Post

I've been using QkBks with assisted payroll on a PC Lap Top while the rest of the office runs on Macs for the last few years. I just got off the phone with Intuit Support and the Assisted Payroll service WILL NOT run on Macs. They just don't get it - Macs are taking over the business world and they are being left behind!!

Yep. Yet ANOTHER feature that AccountEdge offers to Mac users! My hatred for Intuit grows stronger by the day.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Intuit has let Mac users down for over six years. Quicken is one of the best programs for keeping your personal finances in order. The bill-pay function is a must for a hectic family life. Since Quicken 2007 is the only game in town, we are forced to keep our Macs on Snow Leopard. Intuit should be punished for their callus behavior.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    So, no international localisation?
  • Reply 12 of 22
    What were the 50 new features? It's sad when Intuit is touting the ability to search and view really basic data as a big deal. Isn't that the point of your program in the first place?
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Why is everybody so down on Intuit. They are a small company, and the one Mac guy they have has to split his time between QuickBooks and Quicken. Sure, they do have several thousand people working on the Windows versions of these products, as well as a bunch of others, but they have to prioritize based on marketshare and perception, and they only have numbers for those from back in 1998...
  • Reply 14 of 22
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whatisgoingon View Post

[...] and they only have numbers for those from back in 1998...

... because they use their own products to track sales.

i, too, will never give intuit another cent of money. i have quicken disks going way back and every time i gave them money i got virtually nothing in return. not any more. didn't quicken have its start on the mac?
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

... because they use their own products to track sales.

i, too, will never give intuit another cent of money. i have quicken disks going way back and every time i gave them money i got virtually nothing in return. not any more. didn't quicken have its start on the mac?

Amen. Very pissed. And what's with this QuickenLoans business? Did they just sell the name for a pile of cash, or are they in the banking business now? Hope they don't dump TurboTax for Mac next. Maybe they're secretly owned by Google.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    I switched to iBank in preparation for migrating to Lion. As much anger as I have for Intuit, I cannot say that iBank has anything like the ease of use Quicken did. It's just okay. Hope with all the new users Lion is forcing on them that they will get very proactive in courting their input for feature enhancements. Simple example: when you reconcile in Quicken you add monthly account interest earned right at the start with opening and closing balances. That automatically adds a transaction to your register. With iBank you have to create a new transaction separately. Small detail, but they all add up to make the process much less smooth.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Too little, too late !

I've switched to iBANK for bank, credit card and petty cash accounts.

It is an absolute breeze to use, and the syncing between DT Mac, iPAD, iPHONE and MBPro is wonderful.

Have suggested the same to many customers (pity I'm not on commission !)
  • Reply 18 of 22
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whatisgoingon View Post

Why is everybody so down on Intuit. They are a small company, and the one Mac guy they have has to split his time between QuickBooks and Quicken. Sure, they do have several thousand people working on the Windows versions of these products, as well as a bunch of others, but they have to prioritize based on marketshare and perception, and they only have numbers for those from back in 1998...

• Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdavy View Post

Intuit has let Mac users down for over six years. Quicken is one of the best programs for keeping your personal finances in order. The bill-pay function is a must for a hectic family life. Since Quicken 2007 is the only game in town, we are forced to keep our Macs on Snow Leopard. Intuit should be punished for their callus behavior.

Actually I run Lion and have quicken in a VM built JUST for that task, which sucks. But you do it. Paralells, VMWare, Crossover are some of the apps that can do it.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    The best punishment for Intuit is to switch to other products. Running QFW on a Mac only encourages this nonsense.