Apple shipping first Thunderbolt Displays to stores, resellers

Comments

• Reply 41 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Would you like to explain to me how you're supposed to plug anything in to the aforementioned eSATA port via the… what, OPTICAL DRIVE'S SATA PORT when an eSATA port is larger than the slot for discs where the ODD once was?

You just plug a cable that has a SATA port at one end and a eSATA port at the other end into the internal SATA port to which the optical drive is connected. That cable should be thin enough to fit through the optical drive slot (otherwise you just have to file a slightly bigger opening into the slot). Of course, you have to remove the optical drive for that but who needs an optical drive much these days.
  • Reply 42 of 91
    Quote:

DVI. Unless it's a plastic Cinema Display, then it's ADC.

Yeah, it is plastic... BTW, it has a matte display -- looks OK, but I prefer the 27".
  • Reply 43 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

You just plug a cable that has a SATA port at one end and a eSATA port at the other end into the internal SATA port to which the optical drive is connected. That cable should be thin enough to fit through the optical drive slot

Except the ports at the ends of the cable can't fit through the slot?

Quote:

Of course, you have to remove the optical drive for that but who needs an optical drive much these days.

That's not the issue here. The issue is that?even if you somehow manage to get the ports through the slot?you have some kitbashed cable DANGLING out of your computer.
  • Reply 44 of 91
    Quote:

Except the ports at the ends of the cable can't fit through the slot?

That's not the issue here. The issue is that?even if you somehow manage to get the ports through the slot?you have some kitbashed cable DANGLING out of your computer.

Doing a little bit of bodywork is not exactly rocket science and what is the difference between a FW/USB/Ethernet/Power/monitor cable dangling of the back or the side of your computer and a kitbashed eSATA cable dangling out of your computer?

There have been official solutions implementing this:

http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/...-imac-ssd.html

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/turnk...c_2010_27/MPG1
  • Reply 45 of 91
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Doing a little bit of bodywork is not exactly rocket science and what is the difference between a FW/USB/Ethernet/Power/monitor cable dangling of the back or the side of your computer and a kitbashed eSATA cable dangling out of your computer?

1) Not being rocket science doesn't mean it's not beyond what most consumers are willing to do to their machines.

2) One difference is that eSATA doesn't supply power, where FW and USB do. Hell, even Ethernet can supply power.
  • Reply 46 of 91
    Here is a Thunderbolt device that will allow for 3x PCIe card of your choice to be installed.
    You're not gonna do that with USB.
  • Reply 47 of 91
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Not being rocket science doesn't mean it's not beyond what most consumers are willing to do to their machines.

2) One difference is that eSATA doesn't supply power, where FW and USB do. Hell, even Ethernet can supply power.

My OP was a reply to a post asking:

"What good will a USB3.0 hub do on a monitor that is designed to work on Macs that only have support for USB2.0?"

And my main point was thus that a Mac with only USB 2 ports (among the built-in ports) is in no way limited to USB 2 connections if it contains other 'ports' that can be used to create a bridge to USB 3. The whole eSATA issue was just another example of how not having certain ports does not mean it is impossible (or even difficult) to add those ports via some kind of 'bridge'. Somewhere in there was the notion that OS X (or the Mac firmware) need to support USB 3 for it to work even via some kind of bridge. Yes, you need extra drivers for eSATA and USB 3 ports on Macs but they can easily supplied by third-parties.
  • Reply 48 of 91
    Quote:

Why would I want someone to randomly drill a hole in my computer to bash together some random port?

Just buy a computer with eSATA if it means that freaking much to have it.
  • Reply 49 of 91
    so back to the matter at hand - has anyone confirmed TB displays at an Apple store yet?
  • Reply 50 of 91
    modemode Posts: 163member
    Quote:

I always love this self-centered worldview, useless for me = useless for basically everybody. It carries this nice assumption that one's value judgements are the only valid judgements.

ditto
  • Reply 51 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode View Post

ditto

Do they not sell sarcasm where you live?
  • Reply 52 of 91
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

You have to understand that jfanning has a learning disability. When you say every Mac clearly implying every new Mac, save for the Mac Pro which you mentioned, he doesn't understand that you don't mean every Mac going back to 1984. He simply doesn't have the ability to think critically about what is written so you either have to go to painstaking lengths to cover every foolish and pointless angle or just ignore him.

You are an idiot, you can clearly shown this over and over again. Once again the moderators will ignore your constant insults of others, they have shown again that like you, they are only interesting in saying everything that Apple does is wonder, and anyone else is terrible.

Get help with your condition, contact your local medical facility to ask for help. And while you are at it, how about using your real name rather than cowardly hiding behind a fake name.
  • Reply 53 of 91
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

Which is? every single Mac but the Mac Pro. Like I said.

No it isn't, saying every Mac would imply preexisting ones, which they clearly don't
  • Reply 54 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

No it isn't, saying every Mac would imply preexisting ones, which they clearly don't

I want to clarify something before we go further with this. Is English your first language? If not, I apologize wholeheartedly for responding in that manner.
  • Reply 55 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

In my 33 years of observing Apple, the number of times they have paid attention to a petition == 0.

Give it up, Apple doesn't even do [ask for input from] focus groups [just feedback]!

- Apple has tens of thousands of people complaining on their own site about headaches and eye strain. (check for yourself). This after they have killed thousands of threads. They were even caught deleting the negative reviews on their displays for a while to give them a better consumer star rating.

- There have been numerous health groups and organizations that have warned about the negative side effects of Apple's mirrors. Optometrists are unified that these displays are a health risk. Again, check for yourself, couple million articles/blogs about it. But what does medical science know... right Tallest Shrill?

- There is no reason for the high gloss other then esthetics when the computer is off - sell shiny. It's only a matter of time before Apple is forced to change these displays. It would just be nice if they for once made a change before the inevitable class action lawsuit.

- Contrary to Tallest Shrills delusional fanboism - actual real 'professionals' don't go near these displays. NEC, Eizo, Dell, HP, Viewsonic, LaCie, Samsung, LG, all offer their 'professional' top end displays in matte and only in matte. Why? because that's what professionals want and need.

- I challenge anyone to read prosumer reviews that compare professional displays with Apple's - that don't bring up this glaring problem.

Apples solution is to hire a contractor and rebuild your home or workspace around the display... or live like a troglodyte. Or buy a cheap piece of plastic to cover the display. How arrogant. How embarrassing that you need a cheap piece of plastic to cover the Apple Display to make it usable outside of a cave.

Of course we have a choice as prosumers to not buy Apple's offerings, and that is exactly what people and companies are doing. That's not to say we don't want to buy Apple's displays which have great design esthetics and match our systems - we just can't. They are unusable.

The Mac Pro is a dying horse. We all know this. Especially with graphic performance 60-140% slower then their PC counterparts with the exact same video cards. As the Mac Pro dies - and iMac's rendered useless by the glossy displays - this continues to push professionals off the platform.

This is exactly why professionals are ticked off. We don't want to switch to Windows. We are heavily invested with software and equipment - and Apple is showing us the door as they abandon the professional market for the general consumer market.

So are the new displays beautiful and a technological wonder... sure.

They just aren't usable for the professional market or people who value their health.

ad hom attack away. Won't change the fact that Apple's displays are on par with the puck mouse.
  • Reply 56 of 91
    Quote:

- Contrary to Tallest Shrills delusional fanboism

[?]

ad hom attack away.

Looks like you're doing enough of that yourself.
  • Reply 57 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Get help with your condition, contact your local medical facility to ask for help.

To me, that is a terrible thing to post. But if life is like a mirror, you will receive from the world what you give.
  • Reply 58 of 91
    Quote:

Looks like you're doing enough of that yourself.

Reality bites sometimes doesn't it.
  • Reply 59 of 91
    Quote:

- Apple has tens of thousands of people complaining on their own site about headaches and eye strain. (check for yourself). This after they have killed thousands of threads. They were even caught deleting the negative reviews on their displays for a while to give them a better consumer star rating.

If a more blatant lie exists, I haven't heard one.

Quote:

- There have been numerous health groups and organizations that have warned about the negative side effects of Apple's mirrors. Optometrists are unified that these displays are a health risk.

I FRICKING STAND CORRECTED.

Quote:

This is exactly why professionals are ticked off. We don't want to switch to Windows.

Please do.
  • Reply 60 of 91
    Quote:

If a more blatant lie exists, I haven't heard one.

The one you just stated for starters... or don't you know how to search Apple's forums?

You are relatively new to the Apple scene - so again, I'll give you some advise; You would be wise to do some reading and research before you comment on every single article. Especially since you don't have much 'hands-on' experience or real-world insight regarding some topics.

Some you do, it would seem. Your very adept and knowledgeable regarding the technology. It's the real-world application where your arguments collapse and you resort to name calling.

I equate this to ego and maybe trying to protect your investment.

We appreciate your enthusiasm. However, your ostensible judgement that all things Apple are perfect in every way... well, that's not reality is it? There is a word for that - an F word we don't like to throw around lightly.