Yahoo CEO Carol Bartz fired over phone, informs employees via her iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

The BIGGEST moron is Silicon Valley is still jerry Yang by a longshot... $34, what a fool!

Ah yes, that fool is merely an internet pioneer. What you have done yourself?
  • Reply 22 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cajun View Post

lol, the take-away from this for the Apple fan sites is that she sent it from her iPad.

Actually, I think there's more you can take away from this - the CEO of a major information company does not know how to change the standard signature on an iPad, which is kind of sad.
  • Reply 23 of 71
    "Hello Steve, Are you still interested in the deal you made us awhile back? Steve...Steve (?!)......

Seen on Craigslist: Banner Ad division for sale cheap - other items thrown in for free. Call now - no, PLEASE call now.
  • Reply 24 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I have seen and used them. They are what's next for mobile ads. Like many things Apple they are a bit ahead of the curve. As always, competitors either have to get on board, create something better, or condemn. The latter is the default response 99% of the time by lazy, shortsighted execs.

I recall the anger directed at Carol on this forum when her gratuitous criticisms of Apple were posted. The thought is that she should have directed that excess energy she used to criticize iAd to improving her own company. Seems the chickens have come home to roost. Or in her case, roast.

Carol Bartz is known for her quick temper and salty language. Dissing Apple (or anyone else) comes second nature and required no energy at all. She simply was over her head. If you read the stories about her tenure at Autodesk, she wasn't exactly a product development genius there either.
  • Reply 25 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

The BIGGEST moron is Silicon Valley is still jerry Yang by a longshot... $34, what a fool!

i suggest you conduct some research into Jerry Yang's pioneering accomplishments during late 1980s and throughout the 1990s.
  • Reply 26 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Yahoo Chief Executive Carol Bartz was reportedly fired this week via telephone [...]

Was it an iPhone?
  • Reply 27 of 71
    She's 63 years old. A belated happy birthday to Carol.
  • Reply 28 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

i suggest you conduct some research into Jerry Yang's pioneering accomplishments during late 1980s and throughout the 1990s.

I'm sure what he meant was Jerry's inexcusable refusal to accept Microsoft's huge offer (one of the worst blunders in modern times), which speaks volumes about his questionable business acumen regarding the management of Yahoo. Obviously, ego must have played a part here also.
  • Reply 29 of 71
    In the future, can we stop "going forward"?

Thanks.
  • Reply 30 of 71
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

What would make this even funnier would be if it too was signed "Sent from my iPad"

I was just going to same the same, or iPhone even
  • Reply 31 of 71
    Another world-class schmoozer with no other talents bites the dust. Yahoo has done a great job of making itself utterly irrelevant in a market they helped create. Sad.
  • Reply 32 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

I'm sure what he meant was Jerry's inexcusable refusal to accept Microsoft's huge offer ...

that was three (3) years ago. harping on what Yang did or didn't do is a side issue to Bartz's tenure and mandate at Yahoo from January 2009 - September 2011
  • Reply 33 of 71
    "Fired over phone" makes it sound like the phone was the cause of her firing.
  • Reply 34 of 71
    Makes you appreciate Steve Jobs all the more. In a world of one-size-fits-all CEO musical chairs it is very clear how lucky we have all been that Apple brought him back to where he belonged. It is also possible that without his wandering in the wilderness that the wonder that is Apple may not have happened.
  • Reply 35 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

At least it wasn't via text message.

"U r fired. k thx bye"
  • Reply 36 of 71
    ulfoafulfoaf Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

"Fired over phone" makes it sound like the phone was the cause of her firing.

My first thought after reading that was she was fired because she used an Android (Google) phone!
  • Reply 37 of 71
    ulfoafulfoaf Posts: 175member
    I would certainly agree she didn't seem to accomplish much. Yahoo is not exactly in the news! I am on there all the time because of the sbcglobal affiliation. It isn't like services have expanded - just more stupid ads.
  • Reply 38 of 71
    Yahoo was an idea suited to its time - introducing the masses to the "information superhighway". But "Mission Accomplished" around 1998. They've been largely irrelevant since. I wouldn't blame the current CEO. Yang could have sold to M$, for about 100 times the worth.
  • Reply 39 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyb View Post

In the future, can we stop "going forward"?

Thanks.

My thoughts exacty. Any 'normal' down to earth person would say 'for the future'. Its only up-their-own-ass business suits that come out with phrases like that, becasue they think using phrases like that makes them sound good. you dont need to speak business twaddle to make money

i cant imagine jobs saying 'going forward' or 'actioning'
  • Reply 40 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

To all,

I am very sad to tell you that I?ve just been fired over the phone by Microsoft's Chairman of the Board. It has been my pleasure to work with all of you and I wish you only the best going forward.

Steve

Sent from my Zune

Except that Zune has no email capabilities