Yahoo CEO Carol Bartz fired over phone, informs employees via her iPad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UIGuy View Post

Not sure what is more disturbing...

Having a CEO who had to be fired by phone - or having a Chairman that didn't know to contact HR/IT and have her network privileges revoked first...

I thought CEOs where allowed to "leave to spend more time with their families." which is standard corporate talk for "fired".
  • Reply 42 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

To all,

I am very sad to tell you that I?ve just been fired over the phone by Microsoft's Chairman of the Board. It has been my pleasure to work with all of you and I wish you only the best going forward.

Steve

Sent from my Zune

Sent from my Slate
  • Reply 43 of 71
    Perhaps I misheard the Lines of the song . Something about the brave and free and America . Perhaps I thinking of an other country ,,,, Oh well someday I will get it right !!!
  • Reply 44 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

What would make this even funnier would be if it too was signed "Sent from my iPad"

• Reply 45 of 71
    I want to know exactly how the conversation went, because at some point, I bet Bartz provided a very quotable and profanity laced line.

gc
  • Reply 46 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I thought CEOs where allowed to "leave to spend more time with their families." which is standard corporate talk for "fired".

While this may work for male executives, I would never, ever, ever try this with a female executive - too high a chance that it would be considered / construed as condescending - regardless of how it was intended.

Nope, just 'fired'.
  • Reply 47 of 71
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post

Poor Carol, how much is her severance package worth?

A decent amount:

http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/07/tech...rtz_severance/

That's the thing when you reach this level of pay: if you do a good job, you earn millions, if you do a bad job, you walk away with millions. If only we all had the opportunity to become bad CEOs.

You even get to have dinner with Steve Jobs and the US president.
  • Reply 48 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

... If only we all had the opportunity to become bad CEOs.

You even get to have dinner with Steve Jobs and the US president.

I see what you did there, very slick
  • Reply 49 of 71
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I would not like to be CEO of a company like Yahoo. No products you can hold in your hand, just a website. Being forced to swamp your own customers with advertising, just to make ends meet. What a nightmare job.
  • Reply 50 of 71
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UIGuy View Post

They need to regroup. Get rid of the clown pants interface. And make me want to use their product again.

What exactly IS their product? Search? Please. I don't know anyone who uses yahoo search. I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't know anyone who even knows yahoo has a search engine. Yahoo is a 1990's web company that never found its way into the next decade. And that was a decade AGO. Yahoo tried to be all things to all people and it failed to excel at any of them. Yahoo became a brand name without a brand. It's like that car commercial from the 90s where they didn't actually show the car, except that in yahoo's case, there is no car.

The real story isn't that Yahoo fired its CEO by phone. The real story is that they didn't keep swinging the axe. Everyone in management there should be blown out.
  • Reply 51 of 71
    Yahoo needs a complete marketing overhaul and possibly a name change. I never cared for the word "yahoo" it's kinda cheesy.
  • Reply 52 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I would not like to be CEO of a company like Yahoo. No products you can hold in your hand, just a website. Being forced to swamp your own customers with advertising, just to make ends meet. What a nightmare job.

That's exactly what Yahoo should do: buy a struggling handset manufacturer and sell an iPhone ripoff called the YahooPhone. Everyone else is doing it. Plus HP is trying to unload Palm.
  • Reply 53 of 71
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:

Except that Zune has no email capabilities

The Zune HD does.
  • Reply 54 of 71
    Quote:

At our place it's "Exploring other opportunities"
  • Reply 55 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Yahoo Search is my default as well. Works well enough in most situations. If I think Yahoo is not giving me good results, I'll try Bing then Scroogle. The last thing I'll do is try Google.

Ironically when you use Yahoo you are actually using Bing anyway because Yahoo partnered with M$ a few years ago.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/07/29/tech...ahoo/index.htm

I quite like Blekko.
  • Reply 56 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

Who's here use Yahoo Search? Quick poll....

Stopped using it years ago when it started returning nothing but sites who paid to be listed. Sadly Google is now starting to go the same direction, though at least they don't fill my screen with pictures I don't care about.

I've tried Bing a couple of times but the format of their page is horrid, they seem to think the average user is still working on an 800x600 screen. I also hate that it shows pictures in with the sites, if I want to see pictures then I click the images option (which tries to be way too fancy). Typical Microsoft, they threw all their money at advertising & forgot to pay their UI people.
  • Reply 57 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

At least it wasn't via text message.

Man doesn't that suck being dumped by text message. I have been there and it sucks like you can't believe.
  • Reply 58 of 71
    Quote:

Me....always have been since using www even with people bitching about Google.
  • Reply 59 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

What would make this even funnier would be if it too was signed "Sent from my iPad"

Won't fit in pocket so can't hide but iPhone4 he sure can receive his firing call and the quikie email away from public eyes...
  • Reply 60 of 71
    Quote:

Not I, in fact I thought Yahoo dissolved when they cut off yahoo messenger chat rooms. lol

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

At least it wasn't via text message.

I agree that calling was low rent. Who makes phone calls anymore?! I'm surprised a tweet wasn't leaked by the Chairman of the Board: "Can I call Carol and fire her now?"

The call probably went like this (to the Yahoo-o-o jingle): "You're Fii-i-ired!"