Chilean airplane crash located via Apple's Find My iPhone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 91
    shawnbshawnb Posts: 155member
    Could this story possibly be any more questionably sourced and technically improbable?
  • Reply 42 of 91
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bspears View Post

I weep for the future.

Kids nowadays are dumber than ever. I was on the subway a few days ago sitting next to a group of young kids and they can barely even speak properly. And with more and more electronic devices (smartphones, ipads etc.) to rely on, they probably can't even write, spell properly or think for themselves either. Their big dream in life is probably being on "jersey shore".

Many kids nowadays could be taken right from the movie idiocracy.
  • Reply 43 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Well as someone that just got off an airplane I can tell you that Airplane mode is NOT for take off and landing. "Anything with an on/off switch has to be in the off position and stowed" I think were her exact words. However, as several flight attendant friends of mine have told me, this has more to do with having passengers not be fiddling with electronic devices when they should be paying attention to safety instructions and such, and not having pieces of plastic and metal flying around in case of an emergency. Then once above 10,000 feet, you're allowed to be in Airplane mode.

Yeah, they didn't used to be so strict about it. I have never had to turn it OFF. I always have just had it in airplane mode in my pocket, or at least not using it. But on the last few flights I have taken, the announcement has been that it has to be OFF, and that airplane mode was NOT OKAY.

Not that I always pay careful attention to the safety announcements, but I guess some people can't wait to kill one more pig or zombie or whatever.
  • Reply 44 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Kids nowadays are dumber than ever. I was on the subway a few days ago sitting next to a group of young kids and they can barely even speak properly. And with more and more electronic devices (smartphones, ipads etc.) to rely on, they probably can't even write, spell properly or think for themselves either. Their big dream in life is probably being on "jersey shore".

My children, should I have them, shall know cursive. They shall know how to tell time from an analog clock, how to find something in a library without using a computer, and how to write using proper grammar and punctuation.

Someone has to keep civilization alive.
  • Reply 45 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

I doubt the iPhone could still broadcast but the Find My iPhone service might return the location of the last ping?

This is my suspicion as well.
  • Reply 46 of 91
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

An iPhone survived an airplane crash into the ocean, kept functioning in salt water conditions, and was able to communicate with a cell tower?

Yeah everyone is arguing whether people of a certain age know what airplane mode is, and they missed the whole idea that the only way find-me works is you have to have cell service at the time when you log onto Mobile me and ask it to locate the phone, if the phone is off at the time it says it can not find the phone. I played with the feature a number of times so I seen how it works and does not work. I never seen it report it last known power on location, I tested this feature since my son had his phone stolen, but he never turned on the location feature on the phone so we could not use the feature anyway. We know the person who stolen the phone did finally turn the phone off. So I check with the wife's phone what happen if the phone was powered off and you tried to locate it, nothing is what happens

I find this whole story hard to believe or credible, this plane crashed off shore not sure how far from the coast and if the plane was at any significant high the phone had no cell service and could not report its locate.

BTW for those arguing whether someone of certain age know how to use airplane mode, it not an age thing it is people who basically have not clue how to use technology and they come in all ages. Also all the flight I have been on of recent tell you to power the phone completely off, no airplane mode anymore, except once above 10K to 15K ft. At that point they do not care if it is airplane mode or not, it better to be in airplane mode since it save battery since searching for a signal used more power.
  • Reply 47 of 91
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigBillyGoatGruff View Post

Yeah, they didn't used to be so strict about it. I have never had to turn it OFF. I always have just had it in airplane mode in my pocket, or at least not using it. But on the last few flights I have taken, the announcement has been that it has to be OFF, and that airplane mode was NOT OKAY.

Not that I always pay careful attention to the safety announcements, but I guess some people can't wait to kill one more pig or zombie or whatever.

Yep this is true, it not about interfering with the plane anymore, it about getting everyone attention and having them focus on the crew and what they are telling you, plus most emergencies on planes happen at take off and landing and they do not want you playing with any electronic device. Recently I have seen them take people's phones who continue to use them after the announcement to turn them off, they usually say you will get it back when you are allow to use them again.
  • Reply 48 of 91
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Yeah, I run a computer company that helps users with technology. I have helped a total of about 2,000 clients in over 4,000 separate jobs over the past 8 years with any and all questions. And yes, no one knows what airplane mode is, over the age of 40. And yes, hitting a few settings buttons is an overwhelming tech hurdle for these clueless old people (your words, not mine).

They're good at plenty of things, but not figuring out anything inside the settings area of a smartphone.

So in the course of "running a computer company that helps users with technology" (?) you field a lot of questions from iPhone users asking how to get their device to do this thing that they aren't even aware exists?

With all due respect, that sounds implausible. And given that the iPhone didn't exist for most of your companies history, irrelevant.
  • Reply 49 of 91
    Quote:

Yeah, I run a computer company that helps users with technology. I have helped a total of about 2,000 clients in over 4,000 separate jobs over the past 8 years with any and all questions. And yes, no one knows what airplane mode is, over the age of 40. And yes, hitting a few settings buttons is an overwhelming tech hurdle for these clueless old people (your words, not mine).

They're good at plenty of things, but not figuring out anything inside the settings area of a smartphone.

Hmm. I would have thought that after 8 years, you would have worked up the ladder to where you didn't have to answer such trivial questions.

Doing the math (not sure how 2000 clients can have 4000 jobs), let's just say you helped 4000 people over 8 years. That's 500 people per year, or roughly 2 people per day (260 work days per year). I hope it didn't take you 4 hours to help them find the airplane mode.

I hope my calculations are right - I did them on my abacus, as I can't seem to find the calculator app on my iphone.
  • Reply 50 of 91
    I speculate that (A) this is one for Snopes or (B) the iPhone was stowed in a Samsonite type suitcase, turned off, floating adrift, and a fisherman found it and turned it on possibly miles down current from the plane, which is why they found debris but no plane.
  • Reply 51 of 91
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Are you kidding? Do you not know anyone older than 40 with an iPhone? These people have NO CLUE how to use airplane mode, or even what it is. Almost to a man.

Maybe in the world you live in, but I live in the real world, where people know how to do things. I guess out west we're just more independent. Don't be so pompous.
  • Reply 52 of 91
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lank View Post

My wife and I are both over 60. On our recent flight both of our iPhones and our iPad were in airplane mode. Our, well under 40, seat mate's Android was on and not in airplane mode for the whole flight from Anchorage to Seattle. And, believe me, she was not one you would have wanted to instruct in such matters unless you wanted to cause an in flight incident. So, please keep your ignorance to yourself. Thanks!

Well said. That guy is now on my ignore list for stupidity beyond belief.
  • Reply 53 of 91
    Quote:

Many kids nowadays could be taken right from the movie idiocracy.

Send them all to cameronj for training he specializes in the young smart users Plus he insulted me.
  • Reply 54 of 91
    Quote:

I think "confirmation bias" is the salient point here

If you ran a shop selling only pears and bananas the conclusion based on the logic above is that everyone in the world eats only fruit.

I'm still somewhat suspicious of the OP given the actual technical architecture of the Find my Iphone service - but I'm over 40, so what would I know ...
  • Reply 55 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Muncie View Post

I speculate that (A) this is one for Snopes or (B) the iPhone was stowed in a Samsonite type suitcase, turned off, floating adrift, and a fisherman found it and turned it on possibly miles down current from the plane, which is why they found debris but no plane.

Sadly that was my thought, not sure even an iPhone would keep working in sea water. Even if it were still dry in the sunken plane, would it be able to communicate below much water ... ? Not my area but I'd have thought not given morons with death grips can disrupt signals.
  • Reply 56 of 91
    "Originally Posted by Magic_Al

I doubt the iPhone could still broadcast but the Find My iPhone service might return the location of the last ping?"

Ah, that's believable. That is most likely the truth. It does makes you wonder about the aviation tracking technology in use these days when an iPhone is more accurate!
  • Reply 57 of 91
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Neither does wifi, which you can now use on planes. Airplane mode is more for takeoff & landing than anything else, saves you from having to turn off your phone.

Enabling airplane mode turns off wifi, but you can re-enable wifi while remaining in airplane mode - presumably precisely because there is wifi on many flights now.
  • Reply 58 of 91
    Quote:

Are you kidding? Do you not know anyone older than 40 with an iPhone? These people have NO CLUE how to use airplane mode, or even what it is. Almost to a man.

Hehee! I'm over 40 and I can't figure it out! How do you do it?

BTW You can't fight the future, time is on your side
  • Reply 59 of 91
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

An iPhone survived an airplane crash into the ocean, kept functioning in salt water conditions, and was able to communicate with a cell tower?

Could have. I don't know that a cell tower is necessary since you can identify a receiver over GPS and GPS works under water. So if the person was traveling with their iPhone stored in something like a Pelican case - not unrealistic if they are military - then it could continue to broadcast.

Would definitely be interesting to find out more: if it was just a last ping or a continued signal and at what depth, etc.

I am going to have to test this with some dive buddies now
  • Reply 60 of 91
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

How can they possibly know who has their devices on or not? I was just on a long international flight a few months ago and the crew doesn't go around checking everybody's phone or ipad. My iPad was in airplane mode the whole time, I didn't shut it off.

So you're violating FAA regulations. Are we supposed to be impressed?

No, they don't go around ripping phones out of everyone's pockets, but they announcement is quite clear. Everything with an on/off switch is supposed to be off.