Google plotted to give Motorola early advantage over other Android licensees

Comments

• Reply 21 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by global.philosopher View Post

Actually, what Google want is more than just including their Google services on every device...they also want to ensure no non-standard interfaces (ie. HTC Sense, Motoblur, Touchwiz) are layered on top to prevent fragmentation. The problem is the OEM's depend on this for differentiation of their products which then lets them see higher returns on their handsets by using brand loyalty so they will not willingly give them up otherwise they would have already done it as this is what Google has been asking for.

If they layers are more important to consumers then the OEM's can replace the underlying OS (ie. older versions of Android or even replace Android completely (ie. Meego)) and still sell handsets and Google know this. Since the OEM's will not give up their only real differentiator I do not see how Google can ever get them back into line. The OEM's saw what happenned to the PC industry and know that relying only on hardware is not a long term business strategy. If Google do not release Android versions in a timely manner then Android will continue to become more fragmented over time which means the nightmare for developing for Android will continue.

I agree. If haven't already, you should check out the comments on the article about Baidu forking Android. This POV is discussed there. I also find it interesting that Amazon is supposedly doing the same thing.
  • Reply 22 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dm3 View Post

Certainly pales in comparison to how Apple controls the entire process.

What's that supposed to mean?

Apple does all the R&D, Design, [contracted] Manufacturing, Supply Chain Management, Marketing, Distribution, Support, Developer Infrastructure, Builds the Ecosystem...

Apple has found a way to deliver a superior product, preferred by millions of users.

They have done all the work and assumed all the risk -- and are, deservedly, reaping the rewards!

• Reply 23 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blursd View Post

Good to see the Google "Don't Be Evil" mantra has been tacitly applied by the company to mean, "When Google Does It ... It's Not Evil, But When Anyone Else Does It Is."

Apologies to Tom Leher...

..."Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice... Unless you get a good percentage of her price, Da-Dah"
  • Reply 24 of 138
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    it's fascinating to watch the twisted rationalizations of the Fandroids to this smoking gun power point slide.

Google has a dramatically more gigantic "reality distortion field" with Google-aid elixar than Apple ever did. Apple is very up front about its "walled garden." it's not open. it's proprietary (except Web Kit). it's Apple's way or the highway. take it as they put it out, on Apple's terms, or leave it. your choice.

but Google, ah! it's open! (huge lie). it's all free! (as they sell you to their advertisers). we don't copy or steal ... trust us!

there's that river in Egypt ... jump in the boat.
  • Reply 25 of 138
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    groklaw has a better track record than Florian Mueller and much more level-headed analysis too.

It's amazing how bad Florian Mueller's track record is, yet the media keep quoting him. There's also his sketch-reputation as a Microsoft lackey.

Check these guys out:

http://www.groklaw.net/

And the guy is an actual lawyer....not some pseudo professional.

I'd also take thisismynext's Nilay Patel over Florian Mueller any day. Another guy who actually knows what he's talking about.

As for the news at hand....years old slide, and we know which strategy Google picked...see the Nexus line, Moto Xoom, etc. And various comments by Rubin himself over the years have made clear that Google gives privileges to those who work on its Google "experience" devices. So what's the news here?
  • Reply 26 of 138
    Actually, these latest revelations could work to Google's advantage.

It may raise antitrust issues that prevent the Google/MMI merger...

It may be that Google can, thus, abandon its ill-conceived $12 Billion purchase without having to pay the $3.5 Billion guarantee it gave MMI.

...We really, really, wanted to buy you -- but they just wouldn't let us...

It will be interesting to see if the market reacts -- MMI has been hovering near the Google Offering price during a week or so of down tech stocks.
  • Reply 27 of 138
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

groklaw has a better track record than Florian Mueller and much more level-headed analysis too.

It's amazing how bad Florian Mueller's track record is, yet the media keep quoting him.

Check these guys out:

http://www.groklaw.net/

I suspect the media attention may be the reason for the more controversial tilt at FossPatentsBlog. You don't get attention by being meek, and Florian has certainly become more hi-profile lately. Back when he appeared more even-handed, I seldom recalled his name being mentioned.

EDIT: By the way, thanks for the Groklaw link.
  • Reply 28 of 138
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    WTF.

This is the kind of article that spawns a lot of "AI has sure gone downhill since..." sentiments. "FOSS Patents" did an excellent job explaining what's troubling about these documents. Then Dilger turns around and does this hatchet job.

Please, in the RSS feed, would you guys start listing the author? Many of the AI writers are quite good. Others, I'd like to skip.
  • Reply 29 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Hard to say. As I first said, whether I agreed with him or not didn't matter, I felt he was an unbiased source and one that I could trust to report the facts as they were, good or bad, for Google or Apple or anyone else. The tone of some of his recent blogs has changed my opinion.

I get the impression he is calling them like he sees them. When a hundred mile an hour fastball comes directly in the strike zone an unbiased umpire might well say "STRIIIIIIKE" instead of "strike". The various emails that have been uncovered in court being the fastball.
  • Reply 30 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

WTF.

This is the kind of article that spawns a lot of "AI has sure gone downhill since..." sentiments. "FOSS Patents" did an excellent job explaining what's troubling about these documents. Then Dilger turns around and does this hatchet job.

Please, in the RSS feed, would you guys start listing the author? Many of the AI writers are quite good. Others, I'd like to skip.

Actually, if you read the wording/slant of the headline -- 9 times out of ten you can tell it's a DED bias job before even opening the article.
  • Reply 31 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I suspect the media attention may be the reason for the more controversial tilt at FossPatentsBlog. You don't get attention by being meek, and Florian has certainly become more hi-profile lately. Back when he appeared more even-handed, I seldom recalled his name being mentioned.

EDIT: By the way, thanks for the Groklaw link.

Actually, an Ars writer stated in the comments on an article that they tend to quote Florian because he is the quickest to get back to them and that other patent experts and attorneys don't get back with the writers until after deadline. I guess the early bird gets the, um, worm.
  • Reply 32 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

I get the impression he is calling them like he sees them. When a hundred mile an hour fastball comes directly in the strike zone an unbiased umpire might well say "STRIIIIIIKE" instead of "strike". The various emails that have been uncovered in court being the fastball.

No. He spins stuff. And he's often wrong. Read groklaw. Then read fosspatents. You'll see what I mean.

There's a huge difference between analysis by a trained lawyer and a self-described patent "expert" with no legal training, attempting to pass himself off as a crystal ball on what are essentially legal disputes. He's got less legal training than a paralegal fighting traffic tickets....
  • Reply 33 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post

Actually, an Ars writer stated in the comments on an article that they tend to quote Florian because he is the quickest to get back to them and that other patent experts and attorneys don't get back with the writers until after deadline. I guess the early bird gets the, um, worm.

It could be because they, you know, actually digest what's happening and then apply their considerable knowledge to provide proper analysis, not fanboy tripe dressed up as sound expert opinion.

At least DED acknowledges his bias and is unapologetic about it. But Florian Mueller loves to pretend he's unbiased.
  • Reply 34 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dm3 View Post

Typical opinionated slanted story from Daniel. How about just the facts without such a pro-Apple agenda?

This is normal. This is Apple-focused website anyway.

Quote:

Slide essentially says Google will give preference to those who will follow their design closely. They've clearly done this in the past with the Nexus series of phones, first HTC, now Samsung. Using Motorola next time doesn't seem unreasonable.

Certainly pales in comparison to how Apple controls the entire process.

Have you read the original slide presentation in whole or at least, FOSS website?

>This is them following Apple. Wait until they reached to that of Apple level. Soon, people will know how 'considerate' they are /Sarcasm. > Don't be evil (_!_) :-(*)
  • Reply 35 of 138
    Just to be clear, I still will read FossPatents. He has a lot of good detail and his opinion can't automatically be chalked up as anti-Google, pro-Apple. I just no longer feel that I can take his opinions as seriously as I once did. Doesn't mean it's not a worthwhile read.
  • Reply 36 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by King of Beige View Post

So Google has been lying all along?

Such poor behavior for a once admired Google.

Google is Evil! i've been saying this all along!!!!
  • Reply 37 of 138
    \. . . big type again. . .
  • Reply 38 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

It could be because they, you know, actually digest what's happening and then apply their considerable knowledge to provide proper analysis, not fanboy tripe dressed up as sound expert opinion.

At least DED acknowledges his bias and is unapologetic about it. But Florian Mueller loves to pretend he's unbiased.

What's with the 'tude, dude? I was simply offering a reason stated by a writer. I didn't say it was right. In fact, my "um" was actually me questioning whether or not that was such a great prize. Take a Valium.
  • Reply 39 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post

What's with the 'tude, dude? I was simply offering a reason stated by a writer. I didn't say it was right. In fact, my "um" was actually me questioning whether or not that was such a great prize. Take a Valium.

As an old fart, I don't really like the word "dude"...

But, here, it fits... Carry on bruh!
  • Reply 40 of 138
    Owning the Ecosystem is a direct result of Chairman Schmidt sitting in on Apple Board meetings.

That's a complete verbatim copy of Apple's strategy. I got a kick out of the internal ``app store'' reference.