Google plotted to give Motorola early advantage over other Android licensees

Comments

• Reply 61 of 138
    It appears that those who is trying (desperately) to defend Googles obvious evil-ish tactics here also resorts to old dirty tricks.

Most of them are attacking Florian Mueller. Please guys, he is just a messenger. Attack what he says here, not him. If his logic is flawed, point them out. Like it or not, he has a reputation and well respected in mainstream media as well. It will not do any good to say he is not a lawyer when some other guy is. Not having a law degree doesn't discredit well thought out logic which makes sense. Not that Mueller logic always makes sense, but he is more logical than most others.

Secondly, many are claiming that this is common knowledge or nothing new. Please, go back and re-read the comments when most people pointed out that the Google -Motorola deal will put other Android makers in a delicate situation. No, this memo is not about Nexus, Xoom only. It discusses how Google will benefit if they gave Android away. It is general policies. No, in a sense you are right. Now Google will have Nexus every 3 months with Moto having access to the early preview in the new features of Android. Does that help other Android makers?

Thirdly, Apple is closed and that is their policy. Apple never claims that they are open. They never claimed to be open but in reality doing the exact opposite. More importantly, Apple do not gave/license the OS to other hardware manufacturers. So there is no question of preferential treatment to it's partners.

Being "Closed" proves to be better more often than not. Being Open doesn't automatically makes it better. For example, the "Open Office" is trailing the closed "MS Office" in all aspects.
  • Reply 62 of 138
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tsun Zu View Post

It appears that those who is trying (desperately) to defend Googles obvious evil-ish tactics here also resorts to old dirty tricks.

Most of them are attacking Florian Mueller. Please guys, he is just a messenger. Attack what he says here, not him. If his logic is flawed, point them out. Like it or not, he has a reputation and well respected in mainstream media as well. It will not do any good to say he is not a lawyer when some other guy is. Not having a law degree doesn't discredit well thought out logic which makes sense. Not that Mueller logic always makes sense, but he is more logical than most others.

I did point out the flaws. Several times with several examples. But there is NO WAY he could not know this because of how long he's covered this debacle. THAT'S why people are attacking him. Along with his SEO Optimized headline, it's clear he crafted this as FUD to increase pageviews.

Don't tell me I didn't address the logic when I clearly did. If you didn't see my post when you made yours, then next time read the comments before critiquing them.

Quote:

Secondly, many are claiming that this is common knowledge or nothing new. Please, go back and re-read the comments when most people pointed out that the Google -Motorola deal will put other Android makers in a delicate situation. No, this memo is not about Nexus, Xoom only. It discusses how Google will benefit if they gave Android away. It is general policies. No, in a sense you are right. Now Google will have Nexus every 3 months with Moto having access to the early preview in the new features of Android. Does that help other Android makers?

You have nothing to back up those assertions and furthermore they undermine google's ENTIRE revenue model. Google switching Android to closed source model makes NO sense, gives an INSANE advantage to a direct competitor all for a highly unlikely to succeed assumption that they can magically build a brand and ecosystem to compete with apple just by making the phones on their own. NO ONE who looks at Google's financials would ever seriously consider this option

The fact that so many people were "Tossing" it around just proves how little people actually thing about stuff before they publish it.

Google switching to an "exclusive" model makes about as much sense as Verizon getting out of telecommunications and becoming a hardware/software manufacturer. Google will NOT close android off to just motorola. This goes against the REASON Android exists, as well as the profitability of the platform.

Quote:

Thirdly, Apple is closed and that is their policy. Apple never claims that they are open. They never claimed to be open but in reality doing the exact opposite. More importantly, Apple do not gave/license the OS to other hardware manufacturers. So there is no question of preferential treatment to it's partners.

Being "Closed" proves to be better more often than not. Being Open doesn't automatically makes it better. For example, the "Open Office" is trailing the closed "MS Office" in all aspects.

Nothing to do with the discussion at hand. Irrelevant.
  • Reply 63 of 138
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno View Post

It doesn't just mean motorola. Not only does this go against history and Google's stated intentions but it would COMPLETELY ruin their business model. The goal of android is to get Google services infront of as many eyeballs as possible. Closing android would not only REDUCE eyeballs but would give a HUGE boost to Bing.

The "Flagship" device manufacturer is deciding via a bidding process that the manufacturers participate in.

How do you know that is Google's intent? mind-reading? what we do know - in their own words from the court docs - is: "lead device concept: Give early access to the software to partners who build and distribute devices to our specification (ie, Motorola and Verizon). They get a non-contractual time to market advantage and in return they align to our standard." do you know the meaning of "ie."? it means "that is, Motorola and Verizon." literally. and this is before Google OWNS Motorola.

and how would selling the first-use advantage of introducing new versions of Android to the highest bidder possibly be the same as "open"? i guess in the way any auction is open to whoever will pay the most going home with the goods.

i'm sorry, but you guys remind me of the people who defended Nixon to the bitter end no matter how the evidence of his Watergate guilt kept piling up.
  • Reply 64 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

How do you know that is Google's intent? mind-reading? what we do know - in their own words from the court docs - is: "lead device concept: Give early access to the software to partners who build and distribute devices to our specification (ie, Motorola and Verizon). They get a non-contractual time to market advantage and in return they align to our standard." do you know the meaning of "ie."? it means "that is, Motorola and Verizon." literally. and this is before Google OWNS Motorola.

and how would selling the first-use advantage of introducing new versions of Android to the highest bidder possibly be the same as "open"? i guess in the way any auction is open to whoever will pay the most going home with the goods.

i'm sorry, but you guys remind me of the people who defended Nixon to the bitter end no matter how the evidence of his Watergate guilt kept piling up.

Because HTC and Samsung BOTH also had "pre-release" access to android OS versions.

I don't have to read their mind, all that's required is that you're not BLIND.

Furthermore, over 90% of Googles Revenue (and all their real profit) comes from Ads. This means they need eyeballs. Closing off Android would mean HTC and Samsung would use WP7 which not only REDUCES eyeballs but makes their competitors a lot stronger. They've stated for YEARS that the future is mobile, so doing something that only STRENGTHENS your direct competitor while pissing off former allies makes no sense.

EDIT: I know what ie means, I also know that it is COMMONLY used instead of saying "for example" or "EG" . I'm aware this is the improper use of IE but that doesn't stop people from doing it. Google is a company of engineer's not Latin majors. If they meant the LITERAL use of IE, then the Nexus One, Nexus S and HTC G1 would ALL need to be Motorola devices that were released on Verizon. Furthermore, Verizon Motorola phones are generally updated NO faster than other manufacturers and NONE of them are updated before the code goes AOSP, or even anywhere close.

And not ONCE did I mention Open in this discussion. But if you want to go that route, there is more than one argument for "open" and what it means in the context of Android. I'm not discussing that here since it's pointless to do so on AI.
  • Reply 65 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Um, even a casual reader would easily understand that Motorola was just being used as an example.

Do you believe, Google will give Samsung (or anybody else) the early access that they will be giving Motorola now?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

What smoking gun? That Google is going to give preferential treatment to companies that don't screw with Android to the point of basically turning it into a different OS?

Read these two links (Rubins Tweet from Androidme, and AllThingsDs explanation) which explains how Android works. It is consistent with the Google Document posted in the article. It says that Google will make source code available after innovation/finalization is completed. Companies are free to do things after this point. What will be considered "screwing with Android" and what will not is sole discretion Google and this is the dangerous part. Can you show me the "Standards" Google is talking about here? So, how do you know that Google will decide that you screwed their "open" OS when you feel you did not. How do you defend yourself from Google's wrath. It is not happening today, but with the Motorola deal is a very probable thing.
  • Reply 66 of 138
    Quote:

Do you believe, Google will give Samsung (or anybody else) the early access that they will be giving Motorola now?

Yes. Because it is in their best interest FINANCIALLY to do so (or at least for there to be the potential to do so. Samsung still needs to win the bid). Giving early access to Motorola only HARMS google.

Quote:

Read these two links (Rubins Tweet from Androidme, and AllThingsDs explanation) which explains how Android works. It is consistent with the Google Document posted in the article. It says that Google will make source code available after innovation/finalization is completed. Companies are free to do things after this point. What will be considered "screwing with Android" and what will not is sole discretion Google and this is the dangerous part. Can you show me the "Standards" Google is talking about here? So, how do you know that Google will decide that you screwed their "open" OS when you feel you did not. How do you defend yourself from Google's wrath. It is not happening today, but with the Motorola deal is a very probable thing.

The "standards" were outlined earlier. If you were following the case you'd be familiar with them. If you're not. might I suggest a search engine of your choice. What companies decide to do with Android after it goes AOSP is their business, as Google has CLEARLY stated. The only control Google has is over Gapps/Market access and that "featured" product line.
  • Reply 66 of 138
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:

What will be considered "screwing with Android" and what will not is sole discretion Google and this is the dangerous part. Can you show me the "Standards" Google is talking about here?

http://static.googleusercontent.com/...-2.3.3-cdd.pdf

Don't meet those requirements? Your Android version will be struck down.

Some more info: http://source.android.com/compatibility/cts-intro.html

http://source.android.com/compatibil...velopment.html
  • Reply 68 of 138
    Quote:

Because HTC and Samsung BOTH also had "pre-release" access to android OS versions.

The word to watch here is "Had". It is Past Tense and we are talking about Future Tense.

Quote:

Furthermore, over 90% of Googles Revenue (and all their real profit) comes from Ads.

Does it occur to you that Google may be trying to have some more revenue streams. For a very long time, Google is relying on a single revenue stream and that can be dangerous. You need to diversify your business to reduce risk. That's basic business sense.

[/QUOTE]And not ONCE did I mention Open.[/QUOTE]

And nowhere I mentioned you. The points I mentioned about Open vs Close is because some people was trying to justify Google's actions because they are "Open". I merely pointed out that.
  • Reply 69 of 138
    Quote:

The word to watch here is "Had". It is Past Tense and we are talking about Future Tense.

No, you're insinuating something and providing ZERO evidence for justifying that POV when ALL company statements, and financial data contradicts it.

Why would google DESTROY their current income stream, piss off current partners and send them all over to their DIRECT competitor just to make a grab at a totally unknown market (for them)

Quote:

Does it occur to you that Google may be trying to have some more revenue streams. For a very long time, Google is relying on a single revenue stream and that can be dangerous. You need to diversify your business to reduce risk. That's basic business sense.

Diversifying IS a good thing, which they can do with Motorola WITHOUT closing it off or giving it special status.

But you DON'T take your VERY profitable business model and crap all over it to try and create a new business model in a field where you have NO experience. This is also basic business sense.

ALL Google needs to do to differentiate their Motorola phones from others is the following:

-Keep them Stock (at least flagship devices) and fight against bloat.

-Aggressively update them.

They can do BOTH even if the Motorola team NEVER gets access to a flagship device and Google intentionally limits Motorola's access to ONLY when they get it AOSP. Just looking at version upgrade paths for manufacturers would show you that.

In fact, that COULD be a reason Google bought motorola. By having a line where people knew the team kept it upgraded, it pressures other manufacturers to treat upgrades seriously (they currently don't, but they're learning) Again. ALL of this could be done by Motorola BEFORE the buyout, and Google could do it ALL even if they make Motorola the "black sheep" to keep others from complaining.

Quote:

And nowhere I mentioned you. The points I mentioned about Open vs Close is because some people was trying to justify Google's actions because they are "Open". I merely pointed out that.

People weren't using the open justification here for their flagship design. In fact, the people talking about "open" the most were people using it AGAINST Google.
  • Reply 70 of 138
    Quote:

I don't have to read their mind, all that's required is that you're not BLIND.

Furthermore, over 90% of Googles Revenue (and all their real profit) comes from Ads. This means they need eyeballs. Closing off Android would mean HTC and Samsung would use WP7 which not only REDUCES eyeballs but makes their competitors a lot stronger. They've stated for YEARS that the future is mobile, so doing something that only STRENGTHENS your direct competitor while pissing off former allies makes no sense.

EDIT: I know what ie means, I also know that it is COMMONLY used instead of saying "for example" or "EG" . I'm aware this is the improper use of IE but that doesn't stop people from doing it. Google is a company of engineer's not Latin majors. If they meant the LITERAL use of IE, then the Nexus One, Nexus S and HTC G1 would ALL need to be Motorola devices that were released on Verizon. Furthermore, Verizon Motorola phones are generally updated NO faster than other manufacturers and NONE of them are updated before the code goes AOSP, or even anywhere close.

And not ONCE did I mention Open in this discussion. But if you want to go that route, there is more than one argument for "open" and what it means in the context of Android. I'm not discussing that here since it's pointless to do so on AI.

so your defense is, at that moment in time when this slide was created, "IE" either:

- was a typo/sloppy writing, because those managers who approved it were engineers who can't speak Latin (ok, you really mean, are sloppy writers despite their pay grade and responsibilities - don't ask them to read a contract!),

- or meant whoever was offering the most to Google at that moment - and since that can change, from time to time, it's as good as "open"? even once Google will OWN Motorola.

the reason that slide is so damning is because it was strictly for internal consumption. Google never imagined it would become public somehow. so i realize they said EXACTLY what they really think - now and then. you don't. i have an internal memo to cite, you have PR.

the rest of your point is your projection of how Google should think if they are smart. well, i would agree that would be smart from one point of view - until they doubled-down on hardware sales by buying Motorola "for the patents." yeah sure, $12 billion for a modest group of patents. forget the smartphone revenues! don't need 'em!

for your projection to prove true, Google will have to treat their own subsidiary Motorola just as bad as they treat every other OEM - sometimes, freeze them out of the latest software for a while. sorry, but if Moto is in the red some quarter - and they have been recently - that just ain't gonna happen. like they said in the Godfather, "it's business." or even more apt, "it's family" too.
  • Reply 71 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

http://static.googleusercontent.com/...-2.3.3-cdd.pdf

Don't meet those requirements? Your Android version will be struck down.

Some more info: http://source.android.com/compatibility/cts-intro.html

http://source.android.com/compatibil...velopment.html

Thanks for the link. Good thing. I should have done the searching myself.

Unfortunately, this is not going to solve the problem. It is one thing to be not being able to enter a party and a completely different thing to be treated a 2nd class citizen. The problem here is that meeting the requirements here will not automatically ensure the preferential treatment we are talking. Google may or may not abuse this, but the option is there.

Let's hope Google respects its supporters and fans and refrain from doing something stupid. And they should not have this kind of vague policy which only hurts them.
  • Reply 72 of 138
    Quote:

so your defense is, at that moment in time when this slide was created, "IE" either:

- was a typo/sloppy writing, because those managers who approved it were engineers who can't speak Latin (ok, you really mean, are sloppy writers despite their pay grade and responsibilities - don't ask them to read a contract!),

- or meant whoever was offering the most to Google at that moment - and since that can change, from time to time, it's as good as "open"? even once Google will OWN Motorola.

the reason that slide is so damning is because it was strictly for internal consumption. Google never imagined it would become public somehow. so i realize they said EXACTLY what they really think - now and then. you don't. i have an internal memo to cite, you have PR.

the rest of your point is your projection of how Google should think if they are smart. well, i would agree that would be smart from one point of view - until they doubled-down on hardware sales by buying Motorola "for the patents." yeah sure, $12 billion for a modest group of patents. forget the smartphone revenues! don't need 'em!

for your projection to prove true, Google will have to treat their own subsidiary Motorola just as bad as they treat every other OEM - sometimes, freeze them out of the latest software for a while. sorry, but if Moto is in the red some quarter - and they have been recently - that just ain't gonna happen. like they said in the Godfather, "it's business." or even more apt, "it's family" too.

No, my defense is that IE is COMMONLY used to mean EG and how the ENTIRETY of the Android OS Version history backs up evidence that they were using Verizon/Motorola as an EXAMPLE and not as the "as in" Since it was for INTERNAL consumption, it meant it was made BY engineers FOR engineers. Most of the time spell check is pretty low on the list, especially when you're talking about something that's already a common misconception. I'm not citing PR. I'm citing PRACTICE of the company, and this little thing called "Common Sense." Unless you're telling me you've never misused a word, EVER.

They were also rather clear that they didn't just buy Motorola for the patents. But to know this you'd actually need to get your news from a source that wasn't AI.

And when has Google frozen a specific manufacturer out of an OS version for awhile? EVERY version but HC is AOSP and YOU can download and compile it yourself if you want.

As for Honeycomb, the following companies have it:

Motorola

Samsung

HTC

Asus

Acer

Vizio

Archos

etc.

Doesn't seem like they are limiting access for any manufacturers, it's just no AOSP (which is a problem, but it's most likely a distinction you're incapable of understanding). And stop throwing around Open. I am NOT using that in my argument here. This has nothing to do with open, this has nothing to do with closed. This has to do with people convienently forgetting history to try and justify a phantom point.
  • Reply 73 of 138
    Quote:

Thanks for the link. Good thing. I should have done the searching myself.

Unfortunately, this is not going to solve the problem. It is one thing to be not being able to enter a party and a completely different thing to be treated a 2nd class citizen. The problem here is that meeting the requirements here will not automatically ensure the preferential treatment we are talking. Google may or may not abuse this, but the option is there.

Let's hope Google respects its supporters and fans and refrain from doing something stupid. And they should not have this kind of vague policy which only hurts them.

They don't have to respect supporters or fans. They just need to have a desire to make money.

And it's NOT a vague policy. It's just something that's vague to you. HTC, Samsung, etc all know a heck of a lot more than what's posted on a website.
  • Reply 74 of 138
    Quote:

No, you're insinuating something and providing ZERO evidence for justifying that POV when ALL company statements, and financial data contradicts it.

Why would google DESTROY their current income stream, piss off current partners and send them all over to their DIRECT competitor just to make a grab at a totally unknown market (for them)

Diversifying IS a good thing, which they can do with Motorola WITHOUT closing it off or giving it special status.

But you DON'T take your VERY profitable business model and crap all over it to try and create a new business model in a field where you have NO experience. This is also basic business sense.

ALL Google needs to do to differentiate their Motorola phones from others is the following:

-Keep them Stock (at least flagship devices) and fight against bloat.

-Aggressively update them.

They can do BOTH even if the Motorola team NEVER gets access to a flagship device and Google intentionally limits Motorola's access to ONLY when they get it AOSP. Just looking at version upgrade paths for manufacturers would show you that.

In fact, that COULD be a reason Google bought motorola. By having a line where people knew the team kept it upgraded, it pressures other manufacturers to treat upgrades seriously (they currently don't, but they're learning) Again. ALL of this could be done by Motorola BEFORE the buyout, and Google could do it ALL even if they make Motorola the "black sheep" to keep others from complaining.

People weren't using the open justification here for their flagship design. In fact, the people talking about "open" the most were people using it AGAINST Google.

I am not insinuating anything. All I am saying is that it is possible to do something wrong with the policy as written in the internal document. There is no question of providing evidence. Google may or may not make the mistake of abusing the policy. Google is not evil but they are no Saint that they can't do any wrong. Your persistent claim that Google will not do anything wrong (or make any mistake) is really funny. Aren't they humans who always makes mistakes? Didn't they failed previously?
  • Reply 75 of 138
    Quote:

No, my defense is that IE is COMMONLY used to mean EG and how the ENTIRETY of the Android OS Version history backs up evidence that they were using Verizon/Motorola as an EXAMPLE and not as the "as in" Since it was for INTERNAL consumption, it meant it was made BY engineers FOR engineers. Most of the time spell check is pretty low on the list, especially when you're talking about something that's already a common misconception. I'm not citing PR. I'm citing PRACTICE of the company, and this little thing called "Common Sense." Unless you're telling me you've never misused a word, EVER.

They were also rather clear that they didn't just buy Motorola for the patents. But to know this you'd actually need to get your news from a source that wasn't AI.

And when has Google frozen a specific manufacturer out of an OS version for awhile? EVERY version but HC is AOSP and YOU can download and compile it yourself if you want.

As for Honeycomb, the following companies have it:

Motorola

Samsung

HTC

Asus

Acer

Vizio

Archos

etc.

Doesn't seem like they are limiting access for any manufacturers, it's just no AOSP (which is a problem, but it's most likely a distinction you're incapable of understanding). And stop throwing around Open. I am NOT using that in my argument here. This has nothing to do with open, this has nothing to do with closed. This has to do with people convienently forgetting history to try and justify a phantom point.

look, i'm sorry, but now you're just making sh*t up to pretend it doesn't mean simply what it says. they're engineers! (like you could possibly know who the authors really were). their English composition skills are poor! (let's stereotype engineers as grammer-challenged). like i said, you remind me of the bitter-end Nixon defenders. as i wrote way back earlier, it will be fun to see the contortions the Google-aid drinkers go through to explain this away. bottom's up! you can have the last word tonight, i'm going to bed.
  • Reply 76 of 138
    Quote:

I am not insinuating anything. All I am saying is that it is possible to do something wrong with the policy as written in the internal document. There is no question of providing evidence. Google may or may not make the mistake of abusing the policy. Google is not evil but they are no Saint that they can't do any wrong. Your persistent claim that Google will not do anything wrong (or make any mistake) is really funny. Aren't they humans who always makes mistakes? Didn't they failed previously?

And that internal document is only referencing a policy that is most likely detailed elseware. You don't link back to everything with internal documents. There is an assumption of knowledge.

I'm not saying google is incapable of wrong. I've NEVER put that forward. What I said is that Google didn't get to be one of the most powerful companies in the world today by being stupid. Google can make mistakes, but destroying their (current) ONLY source of revenue, the thing that their ENTIRE ecosystem is based around isn't just making a mistake, that's committing corporate suicide.
  • Reply 77 of 138
    Quote:

look, i'm sorry, but now you're just making sh*t up to pretend it doesn't mean simply what it says. they're engineers! (like you could possibly know who the authors really were). their English composition skills are poor! (let's stereotype engineers as grammer-challenged). like i said, you remind me of the bitter-end Nixon defenders. as i wrote way back earlier, it will be fun to see the contortions the Google-aid drinkers go through to explain this away. bottom's up! you can have the last word tonight, i'm going to bed.

Yes, let's ignore the over FOUR YEARS of device history, upgrade path history, etc. all because of a PAIR of letters in a SINGLE leaked document.

My argument doesn't depend on their grammar skills, or the fact that they are engineers. it depends on that history (which you continue to conveniently forget to address).

oh, and grammer-challenged should be Grammar

See, if you can make a mistake (and you happen to know what IE means) I'm pretty sure others can as well.

HTC had code early

Samsung had code early

ALL of them SUCK at updating their phones and getting the code early seems to have NO bearing on who will update their devices first (past that SINGLE flagship device, a device that, with the exception of the Droid, typically isn't a commercial success)

You're the one making shit up. You're saying that a strict interpretation of the meaning of a pair of words negates over four years of reality, ie verifiable, physical, evidence.
  • Reply 78 of 138
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dm3 View Post

Typical opinionated slanted story from Daniel. How about just the facts without such a pro-Apple agenda?

What do you expect, dm3. It is what it is. An Apple discussion site.

Sheesh, you trolls. But then I have fun posting on Droid sites, too.
  • Reply 79 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

1) This post has nothing to do with Apple.

2) This isn't a APPLE PR site, the point of publishing news about competitors is to relate it Apple, or the Apple fan community

3) If someone doesn't understand something and they're writing about it professionally, the professional thing to do is educate yourself.

4) DED didn't post this as a forum topic, he posted it as a NEWS item and intentionally misrepresented information. (DED's not stupid, just fanatical)

Most android sites don't post Apple specific news, or if they do they at least try to read up on the topic to give intelligent commentary.
  • Reply 80 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

so a troll to you is anyone offering a POV, factual, that doesn't paint Apple COMPETITORS in the negative light you'd like them all to be under?